As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Is Vista Out?

powersspowerss Registered User regular
edited January 2007 in Games and Technology
I know this seems like a retarded question. Is vista out right now? could I go to a store and pick up a copy?

powerss on

• Options
    ZellZell Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    No.

Zell on
  • Options
    FreddyDFreddyD Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    January 30th.

FreddyD on
  • Options
    BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    As far as I know, it's out for businesses, and coming out for everyone else on January 30th.

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Uhh. Could I buy a Vista for Business at the local Fry's?

powerss on
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    powerss wrote:

Probably.

EDIT: Not before the 30th, of course.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Yeah, "released for businesses" means they are allowing corporations that purchase business licenses to start upgrading their machines and networks to Vista, and has allowed that for the last month or more.

It doesn't mean there is a business-grade product out for consumer purchase.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    This thread makes me proud to have spent a large chunk of my life living in Fremont.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    SuperunknownSuperunknown Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Pancake wrote:
    This thread makes me proud to have spent a large chunk of my life living in Fremont.

I don't get it.

Superunknown on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Pancake wrote:

I hate this city.

powerss on
  • Options
    fogeymanfogeyman Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Pancake wrote:
    I don't get it and I live in Fremont.

fogeyman on
  • Options
    Akilae729Akilae729 Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    fogeyman wrote:
    Pancake wrote:
    I don't get it and I live in Fremont.

This Fremont?

fremont-troll.jpg

09lenin.jpg

Akilae729 on
    signaturebighe7.jpg
  • Options
    robaalrobaal Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Heh, Amazon has Vista Ultimate "signature edition" - signed by Bill Gates' :o
    strange that only the upgrade version comes with that.

btw. supposedly you'll be able to acquire it (legally) via an internet download; it won't be cheaper or anything though.

robaal on
    "Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra when suddenly it flips over, pinning you underneath.
    At night, the ice weasels come."

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I've got a free upgrade coming in the mail eventually... not sure that I'll ever actually use it. Might be more trouble than it's worth.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    I plan to buy Vista as soon as I can. Problem is, I can't get it at full price. I have to hope my brother can get it cheaper through college.

Do those discounts usually only come to students majoring in a tech field or can any student get it (assuming the college offers it)?

fogeyman on
  • Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    fogeyman wrote:
    I plan to buy Vista as soon as I can. Problem is, I can't get it at full price. I have to hope my brother can get it cheaper through college.

Do those discounts usually only come to students majoring in a tech field or can any student get it (assuming the college offers it)?

You do know that there is already adiscount if your upgrading your windows XP to vista, right?

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    fogeyman wrote:

I'm a business major and I can get XP Pro for 10 bucks

*shrug*

I honestly don't know.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2007
    fogeyman wrote:

*shrug*

I honestly don't know.
    I got XP Pro for free as a downloadable. $16 for a hard-copy of both the regular and 64 bit editions.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    Dublo7Dublo7 Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Hmm, my dad's new laptop gets a free upgrade to Vista when it comes out. Maybe I should steal it from him...

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    variantvariant Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    powerss wrote:
    No. We're holding till the 30th.

variant on
  • Options
    TheMorningStarTheMorningStar Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I have a friend who works for the state doing IT (California) and they've gotten in copies of vista. He says the chess game that's included is really nice.

TheMorningStar on
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    fogeyman wrote:

I'm taking CS courses and got Win XP pro on disc free (along with Visual Studio.Net and Office Suite). I gave it to my friend when I built him a new system.

Problem is, my school is slow to upgrade. They told us not to upgrade to the newest IE and Reader because their software isn't compatiable.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    MorskittarMorskittar Lord Warlock Engineer SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    variant wrote:
    powerss wrote:
    No. We're holding till the 30th.

Vista Business and "business sales channel" are two different things. It's available now through volume licensing: 5+ media-less licenses or more. Vista Business through the retail channel will be available the 30th.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited January 2007
    Here's the easy breakdown:

1) If you are on a complex network with multiple servers, you need either Business or Ultimate

2) If you are a gamer / modder who wants a "leet" desktop (the mods for aeroglass are going to be awesome, and I cannot wait to see the desktop thread), then get Home Premium, or Ultimate

3) If you are a media Center buff who will want to use managed copy, cableCARD, etc... buy a new Media PC with OCUR in it... and it will come with ultimate.

4) If all you are going to do is play games and run apps on a very basic network, with no real intentions of doing anything media center, multi-server, or aeroglass related, then get home basic.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    What are the huge gains for ultimate that aren't there in Home Premium?

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    RohanRohan Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Dublo7 wrote:
    Hmm, my dad's new laptop gets a free upgrade to Vista when it comes out. Maybe I should steal it from him...

The upgrade path isn't the greatest choice to make... it's much better to just install it afresh.

Rohan on
    ...and I thought of how all those people died, and what a good death that is. That nobody can blame you for it, because everyone else died along with you, and it is the fault of none, save those who did the killing.

Nothing's forgotten, nothing is ever forgotten
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    What are the huge gains for ultimate that aren't there in Home Premium?

BOP'd :oops:

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    Kewop DecamKewop Decam Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    fogeyman wrote:

*shrug*

I honestly don't know.

I need to go ask my college about this shit. I didn't know you could get it for that cheap!

Kewop Decam on
    pasigfa7.jpg
  • Options
    Kewop DecamKewop Decam Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Rohan wrote:
    Dublo7 wrote:

The upgrade path isn't the greatest choice to make... it's much better to just install it afresh.

I agree because on a reformat you'll have to do like double the work kind of

Kewop Decam on
    pasigfa7.jpg
  • Options
    TerrorbyteTerrorbyte __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2007
    syndalis wrote:

1) If you are on a complex network with multiple servers, you need either Business or Ultimate

2) If you are a gamer / modder who wants a "leet" desktop (the mods for aeroglass are going to be awesome, and I cannot wait to see the desktop thread), then get Home Premium, or Ultimate

3) If you are a media Center buff who will want to use managed copy, cableCARD, etc... buy a new Media PC with OCUR in it... and it will come with ultimate.

4) If all you are going to do is play games and run apps on a very basic network, with no real intentions of doing anything media center, multi-server, or aeroglass related, then get home basic.

What a clusterfuck.
    Rohan wrote:
    Dublo7 wrote:

Vista doesn't have an archive and install option?

Terrorbyte on
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I've got a free upgrade coming in the mail eventually... not sure that I'll ever actually use it. Might be more trouble than it's worth.

If you don't want it, I'll take it. Free Vista is good Vista.

Veevee on
  • Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Terrorbyte wrote:
    syndalis wrote:

What a clusterfuck.

I agree, in that people won't really know what to buy. The saving grace, though, and I'm happy that Microsoft *finally* did this, is that you can pay to upgrade your current Vista to a more advanced one, without having to reinstall the OS or buy an entire new version. So if you need one feature that's offered at the next step up, you don't need to worry about knowing that at the time of purchase.

Not that it doesn't mean that Microsoft did what it did entirely as a money grab.
    Rohan wrote:
    Dublo7 wrote:

No, because its install files aren't text-based. That's not to say that you couldn't historically simply "overwrite" your current install, but then you're screwed if it doesn't work. I wouldn't be surprised, though, if it offers a similar functionality for SP1, 2, or the upgrade options (from home basic to more advanced versions).

Installation has a GUI finally, too, so hopefully won't be nearly as obtuse as the text-based ones of the past. I hope so, at least. For that amount of money, it better have no problems at all.

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    EggyToast wrote:
    Terrorbyte wrote:
    Rohan wrote:
    Dublo7 wrote:

No, because its install files aren't text-based. That's not to say that you couldn't historically simply "overwrite" your current install, but then you're screwed if it doesn't work. I wouldn't be surprised, though, if it offers a similar functionality for SP1, 2, or the upgrade options (from home basic to more advanced versions).

Installation has a GUI finally, too, so hopefully won't be nearly as obtuse as the text-based ones of the past. I hope so, at least. For that amount of money, it better have no problems at all.
    The upgrade version of Vista still lets you do a fresh install. It only requires that you have your XP CD on hand to prove that you own XP.

fogeyman on
  • Options
    MerovingiMerovingi regular
    edited January 2007
    That's true as long as you have a prior OS disc (95, 98, ME, XP, 2000) it'll allow you to do a fresh install. This check occurs when you boot from the disc just before you format and install.

Merovingi on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    fogeyman wrote:
    EggyToast wrote:
    Terrorbyte wrote:
    Rohan wrote:
    Dublo7 wrote:

The upgrade version of Vista still lets you do a fresh install. It only requires that you have your XP CD on hand to prove that you own XP.

Right, but as far as I know, it doesn't allow you to do a fresh install w/o reformating, AND allow you to keep the old OS as-is and bootable (in case something weird happens or you just don't like it).

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    RookRook Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Might as well add this in here. Recent magazine interview from EDGE with Gabe Newell of Valve.
    Edge wrote:
    How significant is the arrival of Windows Vista for you?
    Gabe Newell: Right now I think we're sort of focused on how painful Vista is for our customers. SLI is not supported yet, there are no 8800 drivers, so even thought it's about DX10, the only DX10 hardware doesn't have drivers for it yet. Limited user accounts are very frustrating. It seems that in some wats Vista is very much a work in progress, so it's nice that there are going to be end caps for customers in retailer stores. However, for our customers, the sort of key features they already have in XP are going to make it hard for people to migrate over to VIsta at the moment. It really puts a drag on Microsoft's attempts to position Vista as a great gaming platform when there are so many nuts-and-bolts issues that it fails on in comparison to XP.

Rook on
  • Options
    victor_c26victor_c26 Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    syndalis wrote:

Won't Business have everything that Home Premium has, except Medie Center? I hope, since that's the version I'm getting for free thank's to the Powertogether workshop.

victor_c26 on
    It's been so long since I've posted here, I've removed my signature since most of what I had here were broken links. Shows over, you can carry on to the next post.
  • Options
    HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Ok I have a media center edition that came on my XPS laptop. I didn't get a disc. So what would happen if I install Vista on it?

Also I'm going to build a new PC in the Fall can I still use the Vista disc that I get now or would I need a whole new copy?

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    victor_c26victor_c26 Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Ok I have a media center edition that came on my XPS laptop. I didn't get a disc. So what would happen if I install Vista on it?

Also I'm going to build a new PC in the Fall can I still use the Vista disc that I get now or would I need a whole new copy?

You should be able to use the same install disc to install Vista, but you need to buy another CD Key from Microsoft to use it legally (If you're going to run both installs at the same time).

If you're going to remove Vista from the laptop, and install Vista on the new PC you're going to build, then you could use the same CD Key.

victor_c26 on
    It's been so long since I've posted here, I've removed my signature since most of what I had here were broken links. Shows over, you can carry on to the next post.
  • Options
    Uncle LongUncle Long Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    fogeyman wrote:
    EggyToast wrote:
    Terrorbyte wrote:
    Rohan wrote:
    Dublo7 wrote:

What if I don't happen to have the CD but my "certificate of authenticity is emblazoned onto my laptop's undercarriage?

Uncle Long on
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    TheLong wrote:
    fogeyman wrote:
    EggyToast wrote:
    Terrorbyte wrote:
    Rohan wrote:
    Dublo7 wrote:

What if I don't happen to have the CD but my "certificate of authenticity is emblazoned onto my laptop's undercarriage?

I'm pretty sure you only need the number on that "certificate", but don't quote me on that.

Daedalus on