As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Is Vista Out?

• Options
    TzenTzen Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    You guys with Vista Business, did yours come with Windows Movie Maker? Mine did, but I thought only Ultimate and Home Premium came with it.

Tzen on
  • Options
    FreddyDFreddyD Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Tzen wrote:
    You guys with Vista Business, did yours come with Windows Movie Maker? Mine did, but I thought only Ultimate and Home Premium came with it.
    Isn't that automatically included with Windows Media Player?

FreddyD on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    FreddyD wrote:
    Tzen wrote:

http://www.winsupersite.com/reviews/winvista_02.asp

Everything I've seen says it shouldn't be included.

Tzen on
  • Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Tzen wrote:
    FreddyD wrote:
    Tzen wrote:

well..i guess everyone was wrong then =0

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Tzen wrote:
    FreddyD wrote:
    Tzen wrote:

Is there a copy of Windows Media Center on there as well? I still don't understand why they would strip that out of the Business edition at a time when video conferencing and podcasts are becoming popular business practices.

FreddyD on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    FreddyD wrote:
    Tzen wrote:
    FreddyD wrote:
    Tzen wrote:

Is there a copy of Windows Media Center on there as well? I still don't understand why they would strip that out of the Business edition at a time when video conferencing and podcasts are becoming popular business practices.

Nay.

Tzen on
  • Options
    MorskittarMorskittar Lord Warlock Engineer SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    fogeyman wrote:
    What's your source? I've only read that all versions include both, and Paul Thurrott (in the quote I posted earlier) says otherwise.

Internal documents. I can't find anything publicly facing at the moment, but these things are changing on a regular basis.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    robaalrobaal Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    One of you said you got AVG running, but mine always crashes, I'm sure it 7.5. I wonder what's up.

Yeah, 7.5.432 (srsly) works fine on my system. The resident shield doesn't always show up as running in AVG control center (it does show up in task manager though)

I think recent version of avast! also work under Vista, so you might try that.

Dìrhael wrote:
    Windows Explorer is still pretty much worthless as a file manager if you want to do more than browse folders.

What do you mean? I've always used it efficiently to move/copy files (the only trick I use might be ctrl+double click to open a folder in a new window).

The "details" view lets you display any type of information you might need, and you can even check the folder size through a tool-tip (though it stops if there are very many files in it, so not as good as space-select in Total Commander).

And thumbnail, or "large icons"* in Vista, view works fine for me with images/small videos for a folder with ~600 of small/medium ones, and then some more in subfolders (Vista shows thumbnails of items in subfolders in the sub-folder's icon) and in a folder with ~600 1024x768 desktop images, but became unresponsive trying to display contents of a folder with a lot of large video files (I don't think it was even the thumbnail view - it might have been a "details" one with meta-data columns).

The thumbs are made on-the-fly, as far as I can see, only for the pictures that are on the screen and no longer saved to thumbs.db in the folder but to the C:\users\<username>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer\ apparently. You can scroll when they are made, though admittedly, other explorer windows take longer to show a normal folder (on another HDD even) at the same time.

*there's also medium and extra large icon views, I think they are ~32/96/256 pixels large and there's a slider so you can set it somewhere in between

robaal on
    "Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra when suddenly it flips over, pinning you underneath.
    At night, the ice weasels come."

• Options
    victor_c26victor_c26 Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Fourth time my registry gets corrupted, and the fifth time I've installed Vista.

Anybody install Quicktime? I'm thinking that is what's fucking up my registry.

victor_c26 on
    It's been so long since I've posted here, I've removed my signature since most of what I had here were broken links. Shows over, you can carry on to the next post.
  • Options
    Vater5BVater5B Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Tzen wrote:
    FreddyD wrote:
    Tzen wrote:

Actually it says Vista Business N drops media player and movie maker... Not business.
    Created to satisfy power-hungry antitrust regulators in the EU, the so-called Vista N Editions are just like their related non-N versions, but drop Windows Media Player, Windows Movie Maker, and other Windows Media-related technologies. These products have proven enormously unpopular in Europe for obvious reasons, and I expect that trend not continue. Skip them.

Emphasis mine.

Vater5B on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I ordered a handful of the Vista upgrades from Dell, I'm just hoping that its a real OEM CD, not those custom made Dell CDs as I hate the extra junk they preinstall on those images.

anyone know?

VoodooV on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    victor_c26 wrote:
    Fourth time my registry gets corrupted, and the fifth time I've installed Vista.

Anybody?

I've installed Vista 7 time now, and every single time I restart Vista, either the registry gets corrupted somehow, or the hard drive crashes while trying to boot Vista.

I'm pretty much giving up already. 7 re-installs is enough. I at least want to know why this is happening incase I try installing Vista on another hard drive.

XP and Linux boot just fine, so it's not my system. Unless Vista hates 40 gig 5400RPM IDE drives, which I highly doubt.

victor_c26 on
    It's been so long since I've posted here, I've removed my signature since most of what I had here were broken links. Shows over, you can carry on to the next post.
  • Options
    VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    victor_c26 wrote:
    victor_c26 wrote:

Anybody?

I've installed Vista 7 time now, and every single time I restart Vista, either the registry gets corrupted somehow, or the hard drive crashes while trying to boot Vista.

I'm pretty much giving up already. 7 re-installs is enough. I at least want to know why this is happening incase I try installing Vista on another hard drive.

XP and Linux boot just fine, so it's not my system. Unless Vista hates 40 gig 5400RPM IDE drives, which I highly doubt.

yeah...its too small to hold all that is vista m I rite? m I rite?!? lol zomg!

sorry, couldn't resist

VoodooV on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    victor_c26 wrote:
    victor_c26 wrote:

Anybody?

I have quicktime installed and it didn't seem to affect the system...

robaal on
    "Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra when suddenly it flips over, pinning you underneath.

• Options
    edited January 2007
    Just got off the phone with Vista support. Seems like the drive is just too old, and possibly too slow to run Vista stably. I never thought this would have been the case, but now with 7 failed installs, I'm starting to believe it.

I'll probably just wait till I buy a bigger SATA drive later on, and install it on that. Looks like it's back to Ubuntu for that drive.

Now for some Counter Strike: Source to drown my OS sorrows, heh.

victor_c26 on
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    fogeyman wrote:
    Morskittar wrote:
    Ultimate will come with both platforms on DVD. Home Basic, Premium, and Business will need to order 64 bit on DVD separately, or 32 bit on CD.

The number is 800.360.7561. Media usually costs about twenty-seven bucks for cost, shipping, handling, and all that.
    What's your source? I've only read that all versions include both, and Paul Thurrott (in the quote I posted earlier) says otherwise.

Here it is again:
    [quote=Paul Thurrott]Unlike XP x64, you don't need to buy a x64-specific versions of Vista. Instead, all Windows Vista editions, except for Vista Starter, will come with both 32-bit (x86) and 64-bit (x64) versions in the box, on separate DVDs. This includes the Home Basic (and Home Basic N), Home Premium, Business (and Business N), Enterprise, and Ultimate editions of Windows Vista.
    [/quote]

That's for retail, not OEM. OEM only comes with one disc.

OEM also costs half as much.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    I gave the upgrade adviser a whirl and found that Nero OEM and my ATI TV Wonder Pro TV Tuner are not supported. I am starting to have reservations about Vista now.

Is there a way to upgrade Nero OEM to Nero 7, which is supported? Has anyone tested out their TV Wonders in Visa?

FreddyD on
  • Options
    MorskittarMorskittar Lord Warlock Engineer SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007

That's for retail, not OEM. OEM only comes with one disc.

OEM also costs half as much.

Everything I've seen points to retail being as I described: only Ultimate comes with both platforms, the others need to order the media separately.

The only source right now will be that number.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    mr_ekimmr_ekim Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I tried to run Trackmania Nations on Vista and it actually blocked the Starforce driver that it comes with. While I wasn't able to start the game, I see this as a good thing.

Also, Gametap doesn't work on Vista. Booo.

mr_ekim on
    steam_sig.pngmrekim.phpmrekim.php
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    FreddyD wrote:
    I gave the upgrade adviser a whirl and found that Nero OEM and my ATI TV Wonder Pro TV Tuner are not supported. I am starting to have reservations about Vista now.

Is there a way to upgrade Nero OEM to Nero 7, which is supported? Has anyone tested out their TV Wonders in Visa?

On the Nero side... I believe so, but it will cost you monies.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    FreddyD wrote:

$64 to be exact. F them up the A. That costs more than the DVD burner that came with the free Nero software suite.

FreddyD on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    FreddyD wrote:
    FreddyD wrote:

$64 to be exact. F them up the A. That costs more than the DVD burner that came with the free Nero software suite.

Well, you can burn stuff with Explorer, though it will cache it beforehand and won't let you overburn CDs...

robaal on

• Options
    edited January 2007
    robaal wrote:
    FreddyD wrote:
    FreddyD wrote:

Well, you can burn stuff with Explorer, though it will cache it beforehand and won't let you overburn CDs...
    Does it let you make a back-up copy of your media? I heard MS actually fought for this but I don't know what became of that.

FreddyD on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    FreddyD wrote:
    robaal wrote:
    FreddyD wrote:
    FreddyD wrote:

Does it let you make a back-up copy of your media? I heard MS actually fought for this but I don't know what became of that.

That depends on what you would consider a back-up. You certainly can just select everything on the media and copy it over to the drive and then burn that, and I suspect that selecting the files on the media and sending them to the burner might also work, seeing as they will be cached anyway. These won't be perfect copies or anything, but I'm not sure if Nero Express could make better images.

For just burning images you can always use the free ImgBurn, which seems to work fine under Vista and for better back-ups I suppose you could use Alcohol 120% which claims Vista compatibility but costs $40.

robaal on

• Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    robaal wrote:
    FreddyD wrote:
    robaal wrote:
    FreddyD wrote:
    FreddyD wrote:

That depends on what you would consider a back-up. You certainly can just select everything on the media and copy it over to the drive and then burn that, and I suspect that selecting the files on the media and sending them to the burner might also work, seeing as they will be cached anyway. These won't be perfect copies or anything, but I'm not sure if Nero Express could make better images.

For just burning images you can always use the free ImgBurn, which seems to work fine under Vista and for better back-ups I suppose you could use Alcohol 120% which claims Vista compatibility but costs $40.

Is there a version of BurnAtOnce that works with Vista? That's what I always used in XP.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    robaal wrote:
    FreddyD wrote:
    robaal wrote:
    FreddyD wrote:
    FreddyD wrote:

Is there a version of BurnAtOnce that works with Vista? That's what I always used in XP.

It seems to work as well as ImgBurn, ie. launches and finds the burner. I haven't actually tried to burn anything with them, though CDBurnerXP Pro wouldn't find my (CD) burner and I think the older Nero couldn't even launch or something like that.

robaal on

• Options
    fogeymanfogeyman Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Do copies of Vista obtained through MSDNAA only last as long as the student is in qualifying programs? Basically, will my copy of Vista work after, say, graduation (from college)?

fogeyman on
  • Options
    DírhaelDírhael NorwayRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    robaal wrote:
    FreddyD wrote:
    robaal wrote:
    FreddyD wrote:
    FreddyD wrote:

Here's a list of Vista-compatible CD/DVD burning applications.

Dírhael on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    fogeyman wrote:
    Do copies of Vista obtained through MSDNAA only last as long as the student is in qualifying programs? Basically, will my copy of Vista work after, say, graduation (from college)?
    They work forever..but you cant transfer them to another computer, key wont activate, and microsoft wont' give you any support for it, so say your key stops working because you reformmated too many times within 30 days (happened to me) and phone in , they'll say "yeah..msdna key..go away" :o

taliosfalcon on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    fogeyman wrote:
    They work forever..but you cant transfer them to another computer, key wont activate, and microsoft wont' give you any support for it, so say your key stops working because you reformmated too many times within 30 days (happened to me) and phone in , they'll say "yeah..msdna key..go away" :o
    Well that's annoying. Will reformatting like twice a year matter or just many reformats in a small period of time?

fogeyman on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    fogeyman wrote:

WTF? How much is "too many times"? Can I reformat every 6 months to a year and not have to worry about the key? Also, did you try asking the person in charge of MSDNAA at your school for a new key?

Edit: Whoops. Didn't see the last post.

Tzen on
  • Options
    DírhaelDírhael NorwayRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Tzen wrote:
    fogeyman wrote:

WTF? How much is "too many times"? Can I reformat every 6 months to a year and not have to worry about the key? Also, did you try asking the person in charge of MSDNAA at your school for a new key?

What you should do is create a image of a freshly installed & activated Windows Vista. That way, you could just restore it just as you would have by installing, only the restored copy would not need to be activated. This is what I do with XP already and it's a much more convenient solution as it's *much* faster to do than reinstalling, and I never have to worry about activation.
    The only time you'd have to create a new image is after replacing a major component in your PC (mainboard etc.).

Dírhael on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    I've noticed something very odd with my vista install, the drive says it has 30 gigs used (this is on a pretty much fresh install) so i thought wahh? opened it up, viewed the hidden files and counted the space used in total by all the files on the root of C:, it came out to a little over 9 gigs...anyone know wtf the other 21 gigs are being used up for/with, or how i can find out? i can't seem to account for them anywhere
    edit:spacemonger is showing me 16 gigs of "unscannable folders"

edit2: man this is fucked..vista requirements say it needs 15 gigs of harddrive space..but i've verified its taking up 30 on mine...

taliosfalcon on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    How big is your hard drive? I heard that Vista reserves or takes up 10% of your total hd space. I have no idea if it's true or not, but if you have a 300 gig hard drive, maybe it is.

fogeyman on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    I've noticed something very odd with my vista install, the drive says it has 30 gigs used (this is on a pretty much fresh install) so i thought wahh? opened it up, viewed the hidden files and counted the space used in total by all the files on the root of C:, it came out to a little over 9 gigs...anyone know wtf the other 21 gigs are being used up for/with, or how i can find out? i can't seem to account for them anywhere
    edit:spacemonger is showing me 16 gigs of "unscannable folders"

edit2: man this is fucked..vista requirements say it needs 15 gigs of harddrive space..but i've verified its taking up 30 on mine...

I find Total Commander handy when checking space usage - hitting space when over a folder with make it scan its size. Just make sure you have hidden/system files viewing enabled in its options.

If you aren't able to find it then run scandisk on it (you'll most likely need to restart - chkdsk is somehow integrated with it now it seems).

robaal on

• Options
    SushisourceSushisource Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Try SpaceMonger

Sushisource on
    Some drugee on Kavinsky's 1986
    kavinskysig.gif
  • Options
    CronusCronus Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Dìrhael wrote:
    Tzen wrote:
    fogeyman wrote:

What you should do is create a image of a freshly installed & activated Windows Vista. That way, you could just restore it just as you would have by installing, only the restored copy would not need to be activated. This is what I do with XP already and it's a much more convenient solution as it's *much* faster to do than reinstalling, and I never have to worry about activation.
    The only time you'd have to create a new image is after replacing a major component in your PC (mainboard etc.).

How would you go about doing this?

Cronus on
    camo_sig.png
    "Read twice, post once. It's almost like 'measure twice, cut once' only with reading." - MetaverseNomad
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Cronus wrote:
    Dìrhael wrote:
    Tzen wrote:
    fogeyman wrote:

First, you get a box. Then, you cut a hole in the box. See? Oh, shit. Nevermind.

http://www.thefreecountry.com/utilities/backupandimage.shtml

Tzen on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Tzen wrote:
    Cronus wrote:
    Dìrhael wrote:
    Tzen wrote:
    fogeyman wrote:

First, you get a box. Then, you cut a hole in the box. See? Oh, shit. Nevermind.

http://www.thefreecountry.com/utilities/backupandimage.shtml
    Business and Ultimate have a backup image feature built in, control panel-back up your computer, then just choose whether you want to back it up onto dvds, or an external harddrive. As far as I can tell it works exactly the same as ghosting a harddrive with norton..only easier and cheaper

taliosfalcon on
  • Options
    ArminasArminas Student of Life SF, CARegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    people wrote:
    Talk of MSDNA and how the key and its support sucks
    Business and Ultimate have a backup image feature built in, control panel-back up your computer, then just choose whether you want to back it up onto dvds, or an external harddrive. As far as I can tell it works exactly the same as ghosting a harddrive with norton..only easier and cheaper

Awesome! I was hoping to get my copy through MSDNA real soon too.

Arminas on