As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Is Vista Out?

1234568»

• Options
    BioPortBioPort Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    No more clean installs using a vista upgrade cd. You have to install windows xp first, then upgrade.

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=5887

for some reason, this makes me furious. Every other god damned piece of upgrade software will let you pop in the old cd for a clean install. but no, not microsoft.

i can live with all the other hassles vista is bringing, but this piece of fuckery? hells nah.

BioPort on
  • Options
    MorskittarMorskittar Lord Warlock Engineer SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    That doesn't make any goddamn sense, especially being that Vista is recommended to always be a clean install.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    FreddyDFreddyD Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Tzen wrote:
    Cronus wrote:
    Dìrhael wrote:
    Tzen wrote:
    fogeyman wrote:
    Do copies of Vista obtained through MSDNAA only last as long as the student is in qualifying programs? Basically, will my copy of Vista work after, say, graduation (from college)?
    They work forever..but you cant transfer them to another computer, key wont activate, and microsoft wont' give you any support for it, so say your key stops working because you reformmated too many times within 30 days (happened to me) and phone in , they'll say "yeah..msdna key..go away" :o

WTF? How much is "too many times"? Can I reformat every 6 months to a year and not have to worry about the key? Also, did you try asking the person in charge of MSDNAA at your school for a new key?

Edit: Whoops. Didn't see the last post.

What you should do is create a image of a freshly installed & activated Windows Vista. That way, you could just restore it just as you would have by installing, only the restored copy would not need to be activated. This is what I do with XP already and it's a much more convenient solution as it's *much* faster to do than reinstalling, and I never have to worry about activation.
    The only time you'd have to create a new image is after replacing a major component in your PC (mainboard etc.).

How would you go about doing this?

First, you get a box. Then, you cut a hole in the box. See? Oh, shit. Nevermind.

http://www.thefreecountry.com/utilities/backupandimage.shtml
    Business and Ultimate have a backup image feature built in, control panel-back up your computer, then just choose whether you want to back it up onto dvds, or an external harddrive. As far as I can tell it works exactly the same as ghosting a harddrive with norton..only easier and cheaper
    By then it is too late because Vista will probably hose your windows xp install. Which utility is best for making an image? Ping looks really useful.

I saw Geometry Wars listed as "Vista Optimized" so I think my only reason for upgrading is coming to Windows XP. Vista breaks half of my favorite programs but what exactly does it give me in return?

FreddyD on
  • Options
    JandaruJandaru New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    So we were allowed to start selling Vista at my store today.

We sold no copies, and the display computer we had it running on kept crashing.

Woo launch day.

Jandaru on
    0ijlzpptari2.png
  • Options
    FatsFats Corvallis, ORRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Got my free copy today.

Was planning on having a new rig to install it on, but some moron decided to back over my motorcycle in the parking lot, so that's on hold. :( The disc is shiny, though.

Fats on
  • Options
    RookRook Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Morskittar wrote:
    That doesn't make any goddamn sense, especially being that Vista is recommended to always be a clean install.

You can clean install over the XP install. You just *have* to have that XP install first for upgrade versions. Still sucks though.

Rook on
  • Options
    corcorigancorcorigan Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Most people will just get it on a new machine anyway.

corcorigan on
    Ad Astra Per Aspera