As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[INTERNET DATING] Now featuring HANDSOME ADVICE.

• Options
    retrovmretrovm Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Jokerman wrote: »
    I'm jaded because Retrovyn wont let me have some of that.

Boosh!

where did the vyn come from?

retrovm on
  • Options
    retrovmretrovm Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    tardcore wrote: »
    Get in line, pal.

:winky:

retrovm on
  • Options
    BEAST!BEAST! Adventurer Adventure!!!!!Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    retrovm wrote: »
    tardcore wrote: »
    Get in line, pal.

:winky:
    oh my god did our messages mean nothing to you?!?!?! i thought we were exclusive! i can't believe you're talking to other people!!! [/just insane justinsane rant]

BEAST! on
    dfzn9elrnajf.png
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2010
    Oh no, I hold a different opinion than you. Heavens to murgatroid! Can't have that, can we? Everyone has to have the same habits and feelings about dating or else they are wrong and stupid and awful and whatever other stupid bullshit you morons throw my way.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Ok, I have a better private thing, now.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    We can't help it that you're an angry little troll.

Your posts either come down to you making giant generalizations on what you won't put up with or whining about how you don't get any dates.

Wait, there's a third kind where you just argue and post nonsense with phrases like "heavens to murgatroid". Snagglepuss references get chicks.

edit: And no one wants to date someone so angry and *small*. In spirit, not actual size. I have no idea what you look like. Your problem isn't your weird opinions, though they are really fucking out there, it is your oversized machismo in defending them.

OnTheLastCastle on
  • Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Oh no, I hold a different opinion than you. Heavens to murgatroid! Can't have that, can we? Everyone has to have the same habits and feelings about dating or else they are wrong and stupid and awful and whatever other stupid bullshit you morons throw my way.
    OK, first and foremost, it's OK to have a different opinion, and everyone here acknowledges that. Moreover, you know everyone is OK with different opinions, but you're trying to paint yourself as the martyr. Frankly, I think you get more shit than you deserve, but you deserve more than you seem to think you do. It's more to do with your attitude than your opinion. Let's revisit:
    If the timeline was like

Date with Me
    Date with Me
    Date with them
    Date with them
    Date with them
    Date with me

?

Then I'd tell them to get fucked.

My justification is that enough girls have done that to me, where they date multiple guys at once early on and then don't choose me that it's not worth my fucking time.

4 bolded parts:
    1) Wow. Aggressive and unnecessarily vulgar. Paints your attitude as a bit closed-minded. "If they don't think like me, fuck 'em."
    2 & 3) You're portraying yourself as a victim. A woman was not dating multiple men for her own benefit (better chance to find someone she connects with), she's doing it to your detriment. Everything's about you, not about other people. Again, not a good picture of your attitude.
    4) Again, unnecessarily aggressive.

You come off as angry and bitter. You want to blame these malicious women from your past and allow poor experiences to taint your attitude in approaching new people who have never done anything to you. Rather than say "I prefer to take things seriously earlier in a relationship and expect the same from potential partners" it's "I'd tell them to get fucked." Have some faith in people, man.

Edit- again, I do think Justin might get a bit more shit than he deserves sometimes, but Christ on a cracker you can make it hard for me to say that sometimes too. Calm down. Count to 10.

Bobble on
  • Options
    SipexSipex Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    A+ post there Bobble, I think that's the point others were trying to get across but calmly articulated with detail.

Sipex on
  • Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Yeah, I just make fun of him at this point for his 'logic' that is often "I have to pay for the date. No excuses." side by side with "But I take her feelings into account."

You are the bigger man, Bobble. But give him time and he will wear you down too.

OnTheLastCastle on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    You are the bigger man, Bobble.

:winky: Does this bump me up Retro's list?

Bobble on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Yeah, I just make fun of him at this point for his 'logic' that is often "I have to pay for the date. No excuses." side by side with "But I take her feelings into account."

You are the bigger man, Bobble. But give him time and he will wear you down too.
    i actually defended the guy early on about his "i have to pay" thing...felt he was just bad at getting his point across to us.....i have been worn down at this point...there is no defending him anymore

BEAST! on
    dfzn9elrnajf.png
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2010
    I was gonna respond to Bobble's post, but if you guys are gonna be catty bitches like that then it's another thing that's not worth my time.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    It's not you, Justin, it's us. I'm sure you'll meet a new dating thread soon and be very happy together.

OnTheLastCastle on
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I think you should respond anyway.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    It's not you, Justin, it's us. I'm sure you'll meet a new dating thread soon and be very happy together.
    as long as he isn't participating in other dating threads while participating in this one!!!!!!!!!!

BEAST! on
    dfzn9elrnajf.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Malkor wrote: »
    I think you should respond anyway.

He can't. That is about the most trolling thing he could say, and since he's a troll, he said it. "I would totally refute all your arguments but you guys just so aren't worth it. Pssshhhhawwww."

OnTheLastCastle on
  • Options
    AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Nah there's worse, there's also the "hahaha I wasn't actually honest I was just kidding to troll you hahahaha I win haha I win"

Alegis on
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Moving on,

A coworker asked me out today. I explained to her that I was seeing someone. You get nothing, (nothin!) for ages, and then once you do find someone and you're happy they just start coming out of the freaking woodwork.

I guess it's kinda funny when you think about it.

SmokeStacks on
  • Options
    SpacemilkSpacemilk Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    A lot of people talk about the "when it rains, it pours" phenomenon. I think there's an explanation for it: When you start a successful relationship, you probably feel more self-confident. That translates into your body language and behavior. You start to act more self-confident in public, people see this, and they start to consider dating you. Suddenly: dates like crazy!

Of course there's no explanation for why people don't see messages for months then suddenly, BAM! 4 messages from smokin' hot girls!

Spacemilk on
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    It's probably the self confidence thing. I've been feeling like the Incredible Hulk all week.

SmokeStacks on
  • Options
    MelksterMelkster Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I kinda wanna ask you out now, actually.

Melkster on
  • Options
    ZephosZephos Climbin in yo ski lifts, snatchin your people up. MichiganRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I really like the fact that the girls viewing my profile all share some sort of characteristic mostly, i mean they all generally have some similar traits. this bodes well for me considering apparently i attract the type of girl i'm attracted to hah.

Zephos on
    Xbox One/360: Penguin McCool
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Zephos wrote: »
    I really like the fact that the girls viewing my profile all share some sort of characteristic mostly, i mean they all generally have some similar traits. this bodes well for me considering apparently i attract the type of girl i'm attracted to hah.
    yeah this is similar for me....sadly that type is "totally insane"

BEAST! on
    dfzn9elrnajf.png
  • Options
    ZephosZephos Climbin in yo ski lifts, snatchin your people up. MichiganRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    my only gripe is that they are generally far enough away to be slightly "out of my range."

I live in kind of a small town thats 30ish miles from some really happening places.

Zephos on
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Zephos wrote: »
    my only gripe is that they are generally far enough away to be slightly "out of my range."

I live in kind of a small town thats 30ish miles from some really happening places.

Buy a Vespa and a music player son.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I updated my profile. I'm not getting many hits or visits or whatnot. Is there something I need to change?

http://www.okcupid.com/profile/domnischolaris

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I mean i have a car and it plays music just fine, but i mean i'm talking to girls that live in some cases roughly 40-50 min away.

Zephos on
  • Options
    tardcoretardcore Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    I updated my profile. I'm not getting many hits or visits or whatnot. Is there something I need to change?

I don't like that first picture being the first thing girls see. It has very odd lighting and makes you look real orangey. Your other pictures are great though. Maybe swap 'em and see if you get more views? Might be worth a shot.

tardcore on
  • Options
    ThePantsAssociationThePantsAssociation A million could-be years on a thousand may-be worldsRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010

I agree with tardcore, that first picture needs to be changed. Take another picture of yourself in natural light if you want a picture in which you aren't grinning.

I don't think your profile gives us a good idea of who you are. You list things such as TV shows and books you enjoy -- but nothing that gives us a solid idea about your personality. At best, we know you aren't sure about your future plans other than you might be traveling far, far away for a long period of time. That's probably not the best way to attract a lady looking for a relationship.

Suggestion: tell your audience why you enjoy teaching and what kind of teacher you'd like to be. (The teaching angle in itself should be good for warming up a few hearts.)

ThePantsAssociation on
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So I was talking to my mom the other night.

Anyone remember the Break-up thread we had awhile back? Someone posted the Epic youtube vid of the guy that went backpacking across Europe but his girlfriend forgot about that little fact and wrote him a bunch of really vicious emails over the time he was gone wondering why he wasn't talking to her, until someone (I think his mother) told her that he has been overseas the past month to which she wrote a very apologetic email that said not to read the previous month's stuff (where she proudly claimed to have slept with other guys and the like).

Yeah, I was talking to my mom about my past relationships and apparently one of my exes was like that. My mom's in the Army as she was out in the field for training for a few weeks and my ex did the same thing to her.

I've had terrible luck with women. The only sane one I've found was the last one I was in, but she was really conservative and we weren't really compatible idea-wise.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    MelksterMelkster Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

I'm gay, so perhaps I'm not the best judge for a straight guy. And I've only been doing this for less than a week. But here are my opinions anyway!

- I actually like your pictures. You're out enjoying yourself, and it shows in your smile. I wish there was some more explanation behind them, that way someone who responds can look at those pictures and have something to talk about. (i.e., Where exactly are you riding that donkey? What show were you watching?) That being said...

- Perhaps there's a better profile picture out there for you. You are definitely decent looking, and there's gotta be a better picture of you as the first thing people see. Perhaps you could ask your female friends to look at your facebook pictures, and ask them which is the most flattering.

- I like that you answered your match questions with some explanatory text. It gives a bit of bigger window into your personality.

- I like that you mention that you're bad with names, but don't mention that you might forget a girl's name who is interested in you.

- I think there needs to be more content in the profile. Talk about your interests more. Delve into your personality more. A girl might be more interested in you if she finds a common interest, or sees something in your personality that she really likes -- but you don't put enough of yourself out there, I think.

Melkster on
  • Options
    Armored GorillaArmored Gorilla Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Something for the women of the thread to take a look at. And the guys too, I suppose. But it's definitely geared more towards the women.

http://www.adoptaguy.com/

Guys can't message you 'til you message them.

Armored Gorilla on
    "I'm a mad god. The Mad God, actually. It's a family title. Gets passed down from me to myself every few thousand years."
  • Options
    RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Moving on,

A coworker asked me out today. I explained to her that I was seeing someone. You get nothing, (nothin!) for ages, and then once you do find someone and you're happy they just start coming out of the freaking woodwork.

I guess it's kinda funny when you think about it.

It also has to do with the whole "I want what I can't have, and if other people want it, clearly I do too" thing.

Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • Options
    SpacemilkSpacemilk Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Something for the women of the thread to take a look at. And the guys too, I suppose. But it's definitely geared more towards the women.

I definitely need to check this out when I'm home and not being blocked by work.

Nocren, what was that video? I'm kinda curious, sounds like it's hilarious!

Spacemilk on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Raslin wrote: »
    It also has to do with the whole "I want what I can't have, and if other people want it, clearly I do too" thing.

Seems like a good thing to avoid then.

Why would they continue dating someone for any period of time under such circumstances?

They'd have them, thus, they'd no longer want them.

Unless I guess you could make yourself difficult (or at least seem difficult) to retain, thus extending the hunt, in a manner of speaking?

Still, seems like an awful lot of work.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Don't remember. It was posted a couple of times in our "Terrible SOs" and "Break-ups" threads.
    Guy shut off his phone (since he's going over seas) and the emails/voice mails/texts he receives are pretty fun to read as she gets angrier and angrier at him for ignoring her. It's not till the end when she's returning stuff to his mom that the mom says "Really? He's in Europe right now..." then she gets all apologetic.

I'll see if I can find it on youtube

EDIT: FOUND IT!!! My mistake, guy was only on vacation for 2 weeks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qg-heCy0CbQ

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I think it's on college humor, Nocren.

Bobble on
  • Options
    ThePantsAssociationThePantsAssociation A million could-be years on a thousand may-be worldsRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010

I suspect the type of guy who would sign up for this sort of thing would carry a certain -- stink of desperation or douchyness that would limit it's appeal. My apologies to any dude here who's signed up, but speaking as a guy with a modicum of self-respect, I don't believe the mindset of having women be "clients" and men their "product" (or vice versa) is the foundation of any serious relationship I would want to be involved in.

ThePantsAssociation on
  • Options
    RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Forar wrote: »
    Raslin wrote: »

Seems like a good thing to avoid then.

Why would they continue dating someone for any period of time under such circumstances?

They'd have them, thus, they'd no longer want them.

Unless I guess you could make yourself difficult (or at least seem difficult) to retain, thus extending the hunt, in a manner of speaking?

Still, seems like an awful lot of work.

Over-analyzing things :P

Its not like they're going to dump you as soon as they "get" you, unless you're someone they don't want to be with.

Analogy time: If all the other kids want ice cream, I want it too. I like ice cream regardless of them, but them having it makes me want to get one at the moment. Even if all the kids leave after I get my ice cream, I'll still eat it, because its ice cream. I just might not have grabbed ice cream at the moment if they weren't tantalizing me with they're own, sexy ice cream.

Wait... I'm slipping on the analogy ;)

Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • Options
    NotYouNotYou Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

I suspect the type of guy who would sign up for this sort of thing would carry a certain -- stink of desperation or douchyness that would limit it's appeal. My apologies to any dude here who's signed up, but speaking as a guy with a modicum of self-respect, I don't believe the mindset of having women be "clients" and men their "product" (or vice versa) is the foundation of any serious relationship I would want to be involved in.

on the other side of the coin, a guy like me might sign up because it seems effort-free (i like this because I am lazy.) and I like girls who do all the work in a relationship.

(haha i suck)

NotYou on
This discussion has been closed.