As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[World Cup] Yellow Rain in Johannesburg. Perfect win record for Paul the Octopus!

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    clownfood wrote: »
    At the end of this World Cup, there has been number of controversies and high dramas.....do we see any changes in the way FIFA officiates?

I think they need to seriously take a look at replay capabilities in certain situations. Or consider adding a ref behind the goal.

So It Goes on
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Goal line ref would be nice, yea.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    GrimReaperGrimReaper Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    At the end of this World Cup, there has been number of controversies and high dramas.....do we see any changes in the way FIFA officiates?

There was some stuff said of changing the way games are refereed.. BUT, FIFA when interviewed on it never, ever mentioned the technological measures, even when directly questioned on it they sidestepped the question.

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
    I've got a spare copy of Portal, if anyone wants it message me.
  • Options
    AvegetableAvegetable Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    An Antarctica Cup would be glorious.

Avegetable on
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

I wish I had paid as close attention to previous World Cups to see how this one stacks up in terms of entertainment.
    Unlikely, the FIFA already said they were proud of the way the refs managed all games and the kingpin of the bunch of old men running the show is very much against all modern tech for as far as I am aware.

Aldo on
  • Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Big Isy wrote: »

Didn't they confirm that the next world cup will have two more officials stood at the goal lines?

Well, they've said something about it not being the same way of officiating next time and they've added two more officials on a trial basis to the Champions League, but nothing official about more officials officiating in the next official FIFA World Official. Cup, World Cup.

David_T on
    euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    Dox the PIDox the PI Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Avegetable wrote: »

the penguins would host.

Dox the PI on
  • Options
    themightypuckthemightypuck MontanaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Aldo wrote: »
    Aldo wrote: »
    Can't say I'm proud of the mean tricks Holland pulls, De Jong in the first quarter was just awful. Then again, football is a mean sport and it's only getting meaner. D:

This is patently untrue. Football is probably getting less mean.

How is that 'patently'? You can disagree, but I don't think there is any conclusive evidence that yesteryears rough play is meaner than today's constant stream of kicks, pinches, pulling, slapping and punching.

I didn't mean to be controversial. I'm not a huge historian of the game but my experience watching old games and even seeing games in the 90s suggests to me that things haven't gotten meaner. I have a theory about it too. More money and massive coverage means that the impetus to clamp down on dangerous play is there and all the players have a bigger stake and so you get a kind of detente. Plus replays mean that you will be caught and punished for egregious shit like intentionally trying to injure players.

themightypuck on
    “Reject your sense of injury and the injury itself disappears.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Path of Exile: themightypuck
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Adding more refs is inevitable, it's just a matter of when.

I hope the Dutch take this as a sign to stop playing thugs like De Jong and Van Bommel in the midfield and get some actual footballers.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So It Goes wrote: »

I think they need to seriously take a look at replay capabilities in certain situations. Or consider adding a ref behind the goal.

This is one I was shocked doesn't already exist. Hockey has had a dude stationed behind each net to watch for goals since something like 1880.

It seems like having a goal judge would help the ref out, since they've got so much area to cover, I don't see any down side to having them.

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    David_T wrote: »

Didn't they confirm that the next world cup will have two more officials stood at the goal lines?

Well, they've said something about it not being the same way of officiating next time and they've added two more officials on a trial basis to the Champions League, but nothing official about more officials officiating in the next official FIFA World Official. Cup, World Cup.

But having more officials at the Champions League as a trial base for monitoring the goals is a good sign that there will be the same officials added for the nest official world cup officially right? Despite not officially stating there'll be added officials at the next Official World Cup just yet, there's subtle hints at it.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    AvicusAvicus Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    David_T wrote: »

The IFAB is meeting in a couple months where they will vote on goal line technology. They need to get 6 votes out of 8 to implement any changes. So FIFA needs to say yes and so do two of the following: England, Wales, Scotland, and Northern Ireland.

Avicus on
    stephen_coop.gifkim_coop.gifscott_guitar.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    So the FIFA rather blames the referees for stuff those can hardly see? I guess they got it good this way. They can always just send the referees home and claim that they only want high quality referees.

No surprise there. Those guys are silly geese.

Avegetable on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Wales gets two votes? I suppose 1/4 of me should be pleased.

Corvus on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

And no, that corner kick miss did not lead to the goal happening.

You can never blame a goal on a ref fuckup that ends in a goal kick, a free kick in your own half, or a throw in. These are inviolate rules of blaming the ref.

G9ven that it's the internet I can't tell if yuo're agreeing with me or being sarcastic. I don't know........ I'll just leave this here.

Haha. Yeah, I'm agreeing with you. Sorry about the confusion.

One more rule re complaining about the refs (of which I am an expert): you can't get pissed off about a deserved second yellow leading to a red no matter how bullshit the first yellow was. It is just silly.

themightypuck on
    ― Marcus Aurelius

• Options
    edited July 2010
    Corvus wrote: »

Well, they have the shittest team so they'll not be biased either way.
    I am so sorry.[.spoiler]

Big Classy on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

I am so sorry.[.spoiler]

I imagine the Welsh team is Ryan Giggs and 10 sheep?

Corvus on
  • Options
    AbimelechAbimelech Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I didn't think that Webb did a terrible job. Van Bommel deserved his yellow (and honestly he had it coming, he's been a fucking thug this whole tournament and has been getting away with it. Not to say that Webb should have taken that into account, just a personal note), De Jong deserved a straight red for that shit, Puyol deserved his yellow. I know another Spain player got a yellow in the first 30 minutes or so and I thought it was deserved.

The second yellow on Heitinga was a little harsh but not a terrible call...wasn't Iniesta clear on goal? Maybe he wasn't going to get to it before the keeper but Heitinga did get a hand on him. You can say that Iniesta went down easily and I won't argue but you have to know that this will draw a foul.

There were definitely missed calls...the yellow when Webb wasn't even looking was especially egregious. But overall I think he did well. The players did not make it easy for him, that is for fucking sure.

It was absolutely clear that the strategy of Holland was to slow down Spain with hard fouls. Fuck that attitude and congrats to Spain. The better team won.

EDIT: Oh, and Puyol is the luckiest fucking guy. He was just flailing about as Robben streaked past him and luckily for him Robben decided he wanted to go for glory and stay on his feet. I can't say I mind that Robben didn't get though, though, since I dislike Robben and his constant theatrics. He is so talented, I don't understand why he has to go to ground so easily and scream in pain every single time.

Abimelech on
  • Options
    GrimReaperGrimReaper Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

I am so sorry.[.spoiler]

Don't you mean 11 sheep? Isn't Ryan Giggs a sheep?

I regret nothing!

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
    I've got a spare copy of Portal, if anyone wants it message me.
  • Options
    edited July 2010

I am so sorry.[.spoiler]

Incredibly talented sheep. Sadly they all decided to take nationality with England.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Isn't that winger for Spurs from Wales?

themightypuck on
    ― Marcus Aurelius

• Options
    edited July 2010
    Dox the PI wrote: »
    Avegetable wrote: »

the penguins would host.

"Looks like we got another naked runner, haven't had one of those down here, yet."
    "Well, technically, it's more of a waddle."

In any case, I propose the whole world switches to Australian rules football for the next world cup.
    But don't tell the players before the games.

Avegetable on
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Golden Ball went to Diego Forlan.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    JohannenJohannen Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

Aaron Ramsay, yes, but he's very very badly injured.

Johannen on
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    My complaint is that I heard more whistles than vuvuzelas this game. Part of that is of course because the players were playing way too rough, but the ref was - in my opinion - whistling off way too much stuff, which only slowed down the game to a crawl.

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Craig Bellamy? I thought he withdrew? Wait he;s Man City...

Big Classy on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Johannen wrote: »

I was thinking of Gareth Bale but I guess he's more a fullback. I just remember him singlehandedly destroying Chelsea at the end of last season.

themightypuck on
    ― Marcus Aurelius

• Options
    edited July 2010
    Gosling wrote: »
    Golden Ball went to Diego Forlan.

Well deserved. My player of the tournament. Uruguay would have struggled much, much more without him. I doubt any other team had relied on one single player so much.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Sneijder gets the Silver Ball, David Villa the Bronze Ball.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Craig Bellamy, Aaron Ramsay and Giggs are the only good Welsh players, and they suck when they play for Wales, so it doesn't really matter either way.

Johannen on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Gosling wrote: »
    Sneijder gets the Silver Ball, David Villa the Bronze Ball.

Torres gets the Blue Balls.

Johannen on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Gareth_Bale.jpg

themightypuck on
    ― Marcus Aurelius

• Options
    AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Iniesta. You wonderful bald dwarf. I love you.

My favorites won as it was just like watching FC Barcelona play at moments. Final wasn't great. Jesus what a shitload of cards and then De Jong getting away with his karate kick. Justice was served. But shit did it come close at times. Casillas is a god among men.

Spain, well done. I'd have appreciated if you won with more goals than squeezing out 1-0's though. But watching xavi and iniesta play was worth it.

And van bommel and de jong: hahaha in your face keeskoppen

vuuuuuuuuuvuzelaaaaaaaa ik toeter mn speakers er uit
    wat een geluiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiid

Alegis on
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Gareth_Bale.jpg

:^:

Tav on
  • Options
    CristoCristo Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

He's back in training btw.

Not intensive training, but light training nonetheless.

Also, that was a shit final.

Cristo on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I immediately thought back to 2009 when Iniesta scored against Chelsea at the death and got a vital away goal to go through and win the CL. At least in this game the ref wasn't beyond the pale.

themightypuck on
    ― Marcus Aurelius

• Options
    edited July 2010
    Cristo wrote: »

He's back in training btw.

Not intensive training, but light training nonetheless.

Also, that was a shit final.

An exciting finish though. Last final was a bit of a grinder as well.

themightypuck on
    ― Marcus Aurelius

• Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2010
    Thank you dear World Cup for a great time, I will see you in four years again!

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm a very casual soccer/football watcher, though I find I do enjoy watching the game for its technical aspects.

So there've only been 19 of these? I'm kind of shocked at how big it is. I think I can see both sides of the whole officiating versus technology aspect, but at the same time it feels like people are being stubborn.

So.. why does the world cup trophy look like it does?

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    NOW ON TO THE TRANSFER RUMORS!!!

themightypuck on
    ― Marcus Aurelius