As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[D&D 4E PbP]In the Wake of the Plague [OOC Thread]

ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster ApocalypseThe Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
edited October 2010 in Critical Failures
In the Wake of the Plague

A Dungeons and Dragons 4th Edition Play by Post Adventurganza

It has only been a couple generations since everything was torn asunder. The plague only lasted about thirty years but it changed everything. What is now referred to as “Year Zero” by the Scholars of Vandris may as well actually be, for life since would be unrecognizable to anyone living before the Great Evil as the plague has come to be known. The plague destroyed nearly two-thirds of all living beings, rent each of the
four kingdoms to rubble, and brought upon the strange happenings.

Some people have exhibited powers since the end of the plague. Magical powers, divine gifts, primal energies, and psychic abilities have become manifest in many people. A few have embraced these as fantastical gifts from the gods, though many are terrified and intolerant of them claiming such abilities are not meant for humans. In many places the use of such powers is at the least shunned and at worst forbidden and penalized severely.

Strange races have also appeared, some mutated by the effects of the Great Evil, others seeming to have arrived from lands beyond any of those previously known to humankind. Like the apparent supernatural powers, many do not welcome these new Others. Most areas inhabited by humans are clinging to life by threads, where every day is a struggle to secure enough food for the next and simply continue living. Law does not extend very far down the roads between villages and hamlets, and outsiders are generally neither trusted nor given the chance to earn a place in these closed societies. Such is not entirely unheard of, however, and there are even a few places which recognize the benefit of any helping hand, regardless of its color or how scaled it may be.

On the whole, however, life is pretty grim, prejudice and superstitious intolerance is all too common, and few places offer any sort of safe harbor (much less protection beyond their walls). This is a world left alone and in the dark, picking through its own ruins to try and rebuild some semblance of order.

The adventure begins in the township of Khenua, a seaside village in southern Arepath. The year is 37 AP (After Plague), and a long winter has just begun to give way to the coming spring. Khenua is one of the largest villages in the region, hosting a population of roughly 5,000 people, and is hoping to establish a trading partnership with the city of Vandris to the east. Even almost 40 years on, it is still unknown whether any major towns or cities to the west have survived the plague, making Khenua the effective western outpost of civilization. As such, its citizens tend to be more tolerant of the strange happenings.

Infos:
  • Adventure for 5 level 1 players. 22-point buy. Standard equipment. No magic items.
  • All races and classes are allowed, though non-humans will have a more difficult time in certain circumstances. Exhibiting non-martial abilities in public could raise hackles in many situations and the wise would use strict discretion with such matters, especially when the town’s disposition toward supernatural abilities is known.
  • Any ability that can be found in the Character Builder can be used.
  • Five characters will be accepted. When submissions will stop being accepted depends on demand. The adventure will start shortly thereafter. Provide a token with your submission if you’re able.
  • Use Orokos for rolls and such. Flavor text in the IC thread with rolls and explanations in Spoilers.
  • OOC will be in this thread.
  • Ideally I’d like to see at least one post per day, excluding weekends. Workarounds can be handled as needed.
  • This is my first shot at DMing a PbP, though I have DMed for real peoples before, so bear with me. :P

Allegedly a voice of reason.
Chanus on

• Options
    lodwilklodwilk Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Consider me interested. Quick question though, I don't see any mention of starting level. I'm assuming level 1?

lodwilk on
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Oh, whoops. Yeah, level one.

Edit: And 22pt Buy.

Chanus on
  • Options
    ronrabronrab Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Standard starting equipment and monies?

ronrab on
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Yep, the usual stuff. No magic items.

Chanus on
  • Options
    CorbiusCorbius Shepard Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I threw together an invoker rather quickly.

I will make backstory when I have a chance.
    http://4e.orokos.com/sheets/2388

Token:
    HoodedMale.jpg

Corbius on
    wrexsig1.jpg
    PSN: Corbius
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I don't think I've ever seen an Invoker in action, looks pretty cool.

Chanus on
  • Options
    Fondor_YardsFondor_Yards Elite Four Member: Hydra Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Some quick questions while I work on my guy. I understand if you don't want to say to keep things secret plot wise.
    Any race restrictions/changes? Do they new races know anything more about what happened then the native humans? Were just the races transported here, or were their whole nations a la forgotten realms style? Do the humans worship the normal D&D pantheon of gods, and/or did they before the event?

Fondor_Yards on
    Secrets, lies, and tragedy. The trifecta.
    3DS Code: 5043-2172-1361
    Xbone Tag: Salal al Din
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    No restrictions or changes, but as far as anyone (human) knows, the non-human races have appeared suddenly and are generally regarded as suspicious or are outright feared (especially would be a tiefling/revenant/dragonborn and such)... so if the party ends up with no humans, things could be more difficult than they should be. A player of non-human origin would either be from Khenua or could be from a tribe of his or her own race that had lived near the human city. One would not come directly from where his or her race originated at this point.

Some members of the other races may know more than the native humans, but a player character wouldn't.

The normal pantheon of gods (from the Player's Handbook) is known to the humans, though the people of Khenua would mostly worship Pelor and Melora.

Chanus on
  • Options
    Crimson PhantomCrimson Phantom Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Aldre Orledlues Former human, turned elf

Image:
    4545109651_e80d6e51db_z.jpg

Background:
    Aldre was just a child when the plague began. He doesn't remember what it felt like, or when it happened...but he does remember the reactions. His ears got longer, his eyes got sharper, and he moved faster than other kids his age. He does know it took some time for his transformation to be complete, but by the time he was 10 none of the other kids would talk to him, and his mother would barely look at him.

That's when he ran away, he spent the next 20 years of the plague wandering from village to village, and town to town trying to come to grips with what has happened to him. During this time he developed an affinity to the bow, and he managed to control some of the primal forces in the world.

Crimson Phantom on
  • Options
    KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Terion, Minotaur Fighter
    None but the eldest remember life before the Plague came. Soon they too will pass, and there will be nothing left but stories of a time when our people had a land to call our own. A time before we were driven into the wilderness by our own kinsfolk driven mad by bloodlust.

Some say the bloodlust came upon us during the Plague. Others claim it was always lurking within us, waiting for a chance to be unleashed. Whether or not either of these claims are true is irrelevant. It is a part of us now, lurking always in the dark places of our minds, threatening to overwhelm us. But we must be strong. We must prove to the peoples of these strange lands that we are not monsters, no matter our form.

The chief burden of this task falls to you. You are the youngest of our clan, and the most skilled at understanding foreign ways. Go to their settlement and offer your services, for we will have need of good neighbors in the coming spring...

And so Terion came to Khenua with his shield on his arm and a spear over his shoulder. Finding nothing but frightened looks and bolted doors, he sought out a quiet place to rest. With shield and spear lying on the ground beside him, he did his best to look as harmless as a minotaur can and waited. Surely someone would come and speak to him soon, out of curiosity, if nothing else.

Kilroy on
  • Options
    KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Query:

Is this plague responsible for non-humans, a-la Shadowrun? Or did the non-humans just turn up around the same time that the plague unlocked the weird and magical powers? Just wondering, as the slow transformation from human to something really whacky like a kenku or minotaur or goliath could make for a great origin story.

Kay on
    ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Kay wrote: »
    Query:

Is this plague responsible for non-humans, a-la Shadowrun? Or did the non-humans just turn up around the same time that the plague unlocked the weird and magical powers? Just wondering, as the slow transformation from human to something really whacky like a kenku or minotaur or goliath could make for a great origin story.

That's unclear and in some cases a little of both.

Non-human races being a part of daily life didn't happen until after the plague, and some humans were transformed by the plague.

Chanus on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Thanks for the response. :)

Kay on
    ew9y0DD.png
  • Options
    CorbiusCorbius Shepard Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    So I changed my invoker build around a little: http://4e.orokos.com/sheets/2388

Basic background:
    Galad has only vague memories of the life before this one. It was before the great plague, but his memories of that time are dim. He thinks he may of lived far to the west of the town he now finds himself in. Since awakening to his new life, he has struggled to remain true to the teachings of Avandra in the face of the harshness of this world, and the scornful looks most people give him.

Corbius on
    wrexsig1.jpg
    PSN: Corbius
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Coolies.

I think I'll wrap up recruitment probably Wednesday, agonize over it on Thursday, and probably get things rolling by Friday.

Let me know if anyone else has questions.

And just another little tidbit, the idea for the beginning of the adventure is kind of like "Point of Light" to the extreme... there is a larger city about 200 miles to the east called Vandris (which is larger, stronger economically, and has a sort of academy dedicated to studying the effects of the plague and such, but if they know anything information isn't forthcoming), and that's about all the people of Khenua know about the rest of civilization outside of rumor, superstition, and the occasional passing traveler or merchant from elsewhere. It's the kind of time when people don't travel much past the outlying farmland, and those who do often don't return.

Chanus on
  • Options
    licwidcakelicwidcake Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    when are you closing submissions? I will try to make something after work.

licwidcake on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I'm thinking Wednesday.

Chanus on
  • Options
    OloronOloron Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    My submission below - let me know if I missed anything!

Human Psion (controller) - Aria

Description:

Aria is tall and thin for a human woman. Her pale skin makes a stark contrast with her jet black eyes and shoulder-length black hair. She has a strong preference for dark, utilitarian clothing, though those with an eye for tailoring will notice that she clearly has gotten the village tailors to do their highest quality work for her.

Personality and Background:

As the only child of one of the town's elders, Aria is well known and comfortable with most of the residents of the village. Lately, she has been seen to be increasingly reserved which has caused some discussion amoung friends of her family. Unknown to them, she has begun to see flashes of thought from those around her and on a couple of occasions has found that she could change the thoughts of others as well as read them. She had been somewhat enjoying this new gift -- and thanking any dieties that came to mind that this was how the Plague affected her vs. changing her into some new strange form. That enjoyment came to a bittersweet end when she caught a flash of thought from her fiance.

She had been expected (and somewhat pressured) to marry the son of another prominent family in the village. Sarron, the man in question, had always seemed a reasonable, if uninspired, choice. They had continued along through engagement until one day when she saw clearly from his thoughts what sort of person he really was. Though no one knew, he enjoyed nothing more than causing pain to others - so far he had restricted himself to torturing animals and had been very careful to hide his activities from everyone in the village.

With no proof and no desire to expose her psionic powers fully, Aria began to look for any excuse to leave town and quietly call off the engagement...

Oloron on
  • Options
    SnowdownSnowdown Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Few questions.

I'm looking at playing a Ranger character, and trying to decide between a few of the races.

Do Bugbears lose the oversized racial?

Gnolls...seems to me, ferocious charge should be a minor action....all the other abilities for monstrous characters damage abilities are minor or free (bugbear's predatory eye, and half orc's furious assault, even orc's warrior's surge has an attack with the surge ability)...

Can I get a houseruled minor instead of standard? Might be OP after the "If you're bloodied, the damage doubles and you gain an equal # of THP"....still might not even go with gnoll...dunno.

Anyway, just curious...can't even decide if I want to play a Melee, or ranged ranger...

if I played ranged, it would likely be a human crossbow ranger, POSSIBLY beastmaster....

If I play Melee, it'll likely be a nonhuman marauder ranger.

Snowdown on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I'm going to be honest, I'm not 100% clear on how the playing a monster race thing works. I'll do a little research and get back to you :)

Chanus on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I'm here until 4pm, so if you need any info from any books or the charbuilder, let me know.

Also, if that turns out to be a big pain in the butt for you (I don't want to make you research a whole bunch of junk that I may not even use) i'll happily revise my thought process on what I'd like to play.

For some reason, in this fantasy-post-apocalyptic game, I want to play a ranger type though...

Probably one who doesn't often visit the towns, and most likely hates them when he does. That's why I was leaning towards a monstrous race...would give him a reason to hate them and avoid them.

Although, as a more humanoid race he could have no qualms about towns, just prefer the wilds...which is why he'd possibly be a beastmaster. Plus, ranged ranger with big nasty crossbow sounds pretty good.

My other thought was going to be a halfling rogue who pretends to be a child.

I play leaders/defenders lots, so I'm leaning towards being a striker.

Snowdown on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Those sound like fun ideas.

I will say the adventure begins in the town and in public, so being a monster race (while not impossible) might be... interesting to explain.

Chanus on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Snowdown wrote: »
    Gnolls...seems to me, ferocious charge should be a minor action....all the other abilities for monstrous characters damage abilities are minor or free (bugbear's predatory eye, and half orc's furious assault, even orc's warrior's surge has an attack with the surge ability)...

Can I get a houseruled minor instead of standard? Might be OP after the "If you're bloodied, the damage doubles and you gain an equal # of THP"....still might not even go with gnoll...dunno.

Uh, I would definitely rule no. A minor action charge with bonus damage? With more bonus damage if bloodied, and temp HP too? As a minor?

It's a standard. Predatory Eye and Furious Assault can only be used when you are already attacking, and buff the attack. Ferocious Charge is a buffed charge, it's not a buff to layer on an attack. That might not seem like much of a difference, but if Ferocious Charge was a minor, you could charge in with the bonus damage, AND THEN ATTACK, unless you made Ferocious Charge a minor action with the trigger 'When you charge, deal bonus damage moar if bloodied temp hp if bloodied blah blah', in which case it would be worse. For a Standard Action, you get to charge and add damage. You can even use your Hunter's Quarry as a minor first for even more.

(We have a Gnoll Beastmaster Ranger in our RL group, and he does this often. He even has a Battlecrazed Weapon that he can use to count as bloodied for the turn if he likes, which is pretty potent with Ferocious Charge.)

Kay on
    ew9y0DD.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Any ranger character I would make would have stealth, as would the halfling rogue.....SO, does the opening scene require me to be visible, or could I be hidden?

Snowdown on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    You could conceivably be hidden.

Chanus on
  • Options
    edited August 2010

Uh, I would definitely rule no. A minor action charge with bonus damage? With more bonus damage if bloodied, and temp HP too? As a minor?

It's a standard. Predatory Eye and Furious Assault can only be used when you are already attacking, and buff the attack. Ferocious Charge is a buffed charge, it's not a buff to layer on an attack. That might not seem like much of a difference, but if Ferocious Charge was a minor, you could charge in with the bonus damage, AND THEN ATTACK, unless you made Ferocious Charge a minor action with the trigger 'When you charge, deal bonus damage moar if bloodied temp hp if bloodied blah blah', in which case it would be worse. For a Standard Action, you get to charge and add damage. You can even use your Hunter's Quarry as a minor first for even more.

(We have a Gnoll Beastmaster Ranger in our RL group, and he does this often. He even has a Battlecrazed Weapon that he can use to count as bloodied for the turn if he likes, which is pretty potent with Ferocious Charge.)

I'm convinced it should stay a Standard :P

Chanus on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Ahhhh, I was thinking that it was only a +2 damage when a charge takes place, plus the double when bloodied, etc. Along the lines of the predatory and furious assault....didn't even think that it GIVES a charge, which ya...would allow a charge minor+move+standard = way OP.

Too bad, would've been nice to have the +2 damage, extra bloodied, THP trigger once an encounter off a power that could be used as a charge...such as marauder's rush.

Chanus wrote: »

I'm convinced it should stay a Standard :P

Snowdown on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Ahhhh, I was thinking that it was only a +2 damage when a charge takes place, plus the double when bloodied, etc. Along the lines of the predatory and furious assault....didn't even think that it GIVES a charge, which ya...would allow a charge minor+move+standard = way OP.

Too bad, would've been nice to have the +2 damage, extra bloodied, THP trigger once an encounter off a power that could be used as a charge...such as marauder's rush.

Marauder's Rush is an at-will, and we've always allowed our Gnoll Ranger to use it as part of his Ferocious Charge. He needs all the help he can get as a Beastmaster.

I mean, it depends on the GM, but as Ferocious Charge states 'you charge and deal an extra 2 damage on a hit', we read it as you charging, and are therefore able to sub in an attack that's usable on a charge. If it was 'Move your speed to a square adjacent to an enemy, then attack the enemy - STR+1 Weapon attack vs AC, 1[W]+Strmod+2 damage', then you wouldn't be able to use a charging attack, but I'd say you could use it with any related power, such as Marauder's Rush. Which is an excellent Ranger power because it is not Twin Strike.

Kay on
    ew9y0DD.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    The reason I was thinking it wasn't viable, is because both marauder's rush, and the ferocious charge are considered standard actions.

Chanus, what do you think?

Snowdown on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    A melee basic attack and a charge are both standard actions.

A charge reads as 'Move up to your speed to the closest square adjacent to the target enemy. You must move at least two squares. Make a melee basic attack against the enemy with a +1 bonus to hit.' or something similar.

Marauder's Rush states 'You may use Marauder's Rush as a melee basic attack as part of a charge.'

Virtuous Strike, a Paladin power, may be used as a melee basic attack regardless of the situation. This includes Opportunity Attacks as well as Charges, and any power which allows you to make a Melee Basic Attack, such as the plethora of powers Warlords use to allow their allies to attack.

Kay on
    ew9y0DD.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Hmm... as they read, I would say it's alright to combine Marauder's Rush with Ferocious Charge. I'm not going to make a big fuss about +2 damage once per encounter and MR can be used as an attack on a Charge.

Chanus on
  • Options
    Fondor_YardsFondor_Yards Elite Four Member: Hydra Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    4 of the first 5 are controllers, with 2 seekers and no wizards. That has to be some sort of record. Are background choices ok? For the end date, today is the 9th, wednesday is the 11th.

Celgar Pius, Paladin of Erathis

Background:
    Celgar was born into this world, and has no memory the old world. But growing up, he heard all the stories from his parents and the few others who remembered. Of great worlds, with booming cities populated by hundreds of thousand of people, if you could believe it! They even spoke of an older world a place his ancestors came from long ago. A place of changing chaos, populated by beings of unimaginable size and power. Floating rivers that traveled the endless void and islands of rock the size of worlds. He loved these old tales while growing up. But when he would enviably ask who or how they got to this world, they would get silent and have no more stories.

The world they lived in now was so much different then the ones in his parents stories. People openly hated and feared them, few towns would welcome them. Not only that, they were afraid of what they could do. In the old tales, there were fantastical magical devices that let people soar among the heavens, marvelous cities filled with wonders. This one seemed to be only dirt poor village barely eking out an existence. He would learn then when all the 'new comers' came here, apparently there was a great plaque that swept the land, killing most of the population. But instead of trying to embrace the changes and use them to rebuild, they blamed it on them. Even their own people who started to gain magical powers became feared and hated.

But neither his parents or any of the others in their small traveling group of 'non-humans" wanted to do anything about it. He became fed up with it one day, and left them one night. This world had some much potential in it, but them and everyone else was content to simply get by. Thought his own force of will if need be, he would shape their world into one worth telling to his own children one day.

Fondor_Yards on
    Secrets, lies, and tragedy. The trifecta.
    3DS Code: 5043-2172-1361
    Xbone Tag: Salal al Din
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Any of the General backgrounds are fine.

Edit: Ha! I totally looked at the calendar to see what day today was and then kinda forgot to add 2 :P

Chanus on
  • Options
    OloronOloron Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    @Fondor - After putting up my application, I did the same count and realized I was one of a flood of controllers. I'm so used to groups wanting to be all strikers that it never even occurred to me to look before I was done.

In any case, I've wanted to try out a psion for a while now, so I hope I have a good roll for "save vs. being rejected from the party" :)

Oloron on
  • Options
    SquintsSquints Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Any background rules?

Squints on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Squints wrote: »
    Any background rules?

The "General" ones are fine to use.

Chanus on
  • Options
    SquintsSquints Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    This is Vimak. http://4e.orokos.com/sheets/2395

Vimak is big... like, really big! The goliath may be able to pass off as simply a huge human - maybe tales of his mountain home having great fish and water that built him up had been passed about. The real tale could be that the plague has... augmented his body, causing him to grow into a form that is basically the Goliath class.

I can expand on this background, if you wish and everything else passes your wants in terms of this campaign setting.

Squints on
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Well, I was going to throw together a Seeker for this (I had a pretty cool idea for it, actually), but it kind of looks like another controller would just get lost in the crowd.

Let's see about a Leader, maybe. We look kind of light on those.

Edit: I really wanted to use that frog hunter background, too.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    Crimson PhantomCrimson Phantom Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Well Zed just because you don't use the seeker doesn't mean that we don't want to hear about how they were giggen frogs in their youth.

Crimson Phantom on
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Well Zed just because you don't use the seeker doesn't mean that we don't want to hear about how they were giggen frogs in their youth.
    Well, that can still be done it just won't be as topical.

My Seeker idea was actually employed as a frog hunter. Family business.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.