As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PROTOTYPE2]: Revenge is a Dish Best Served Cold - Old Klingon Proverb

• Options
    SzechuanSzechuan Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Kitsuna wrote: »

I was just telling someone the other day that I didn't think this was going to happen. This is great! :mrgreen:

Szechuan on
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Prototype did the sheer joy of movement better than pretty much any game out there, so I'm welcoming any attempts at a sequel. Hopefully the actual gameplay structure and story won't be as bad this time, though.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Error wrote: »
    maybe alex can grow a conscience this time. that'd be good.

Given that the tag they're going with for the teaser is murder your maker, I somehow doubt it.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I don't really know that giving Alex any tangible human emotions would make sense given... you know, the ending of the last game.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Given that
    There is no Alex Mercer and hasn't been for some time, and the original Alex Mercer was a dickbag anyway, I somehow doubt it.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    l337CrappyJackl337CrappyJack Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Truly the best thing to make this game more fun is to make the character break down in heaving sobs and have him vomit with grief every time he accidentally kills an innocent.

l337CrappyJack on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Sorry but no, having Alex being somewhat apathetic works far better given how much time you spend killing shit.

With that said, he's not totally amoral. He goes to great risk to save quite a lot of people in the ending.

Fiaryn on
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I'm still wondering why he didn't just find a large fish, eat it, and go on his way.

Surely there's an aquarium of some sort in New York City?

Hell he wouldn't even need to be fishy at all, would he.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Fiaryn wrote: »
    Sorry but no, having Alex being somewhat apathetic works far better given how much time you spend killing shit.

With that said, he's not totally amoral. He goes to great risk to save quite a lot of people in the ending.

I'm not sure that had anything to do with saving the people. I was of the mind that it was him saving "his city" - not necessarily the people in it. I know there's an argument to be made, there, but I just saw it as Alex protecting what he sees as his - and knowing all along that he would survive it.

Chance on
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Oh. Yeah I guess maybe he liked the city and wanted to stay there for the time being.

And he was probably having a lot of fun, anyway.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I'm glad they're making a sequel myself.

As much as I loved Prototype I felt it was kind of half-finished. Now with a sequel in the works and the engine pretty much already in place, they just have to make things much more awesome.

Also,
    I really hope Alec's sister is a Greene like character in the sequel.

On Alec, I was pretty sure
    Given his nature he was trying to discover who he was. Remember, he was an alien being who'd just been given life. The only things he had to go on were the memories of a dude who'd been a complete asshole in real life. I would say for someone like that his character made a lot of sense.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Chance wrote: »
    Fiaryn wrote: »

I'm not sure that had anything to do with saving the people. I was of the mind that it was him saving "his city" - not necessarily the people in it. I know there's an argument to be made, there, but I just saw it as Alex protecting what he sees as his - and knowing all along that he would survive it.

That's certainly a legitimate interpretation, but I don't think there's any more evidence that this is the case than the other scenario.

The important thing here is that Alex repeatedly objects to Blackwatches methods as crossing some sort of line, before and after his personal revelation, so there exists a line for him of some kind.

Fiaryn on
  • Options
    Lord_MordjaLord_Mordja Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Yeah, my problem was that I didn't put points into whipfist or musclemass; focusing on the sword, claws and hammer. So of course it's only after beating the game and started messing around that I realized what I was missing and how much easier everything would have been.

I killed the last boss mostly by swapping helicopters with people.

Lord_Mordja on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    It is so easy to max out everything though.

Fly around city, find contaminated water silo, whipfist it from 50ft away, get paid.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    DeMoN wrote: »
    Wow, I kind of suspected it would be Prototype, but I'm still very surprised nonetheless.

Universe, I am proud.

But who are we murdering exactly, PARIAH? Or has Alex split in 'twain?

CaptainNemo on
    PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Well, I would pretty much think that Alec would want some payback after this, so he'll probably being taking the fight to BlackWatch.

I mean, unless we find out different, they probably think he's dead.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    I could have sworn the one armed general was the head of BlackWatch.

CaptainNemo on
  • Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    I'm glad they're making a sequel myself.

As much as I loved Prototype I felt it was kind of half-finished. Now with a sequel in the works and the engine pretty much already in place, they just have to make things much more awesome.

Also,
    I really hope Alec's sister is a Greene like character in the sequel.
    If they don't address what happened with Dana, I will be pissed off. I thought the web of intrigue wasn't used to its fullest potential, but the biggest disappointment of Prototype's narrative was what happens with Dana - or more to the point, what doesn't happen.

Here's a character you spend most of the game with, there's that fantastic chase sequence across the city with her desperately screaming your name, she gets taken by Greene - later rescued - and then Alex lays her on the table at Doc Phil LaMarr's place, and... the game carries on, eventually ends, and we never find out wtf happened with Dana. Is she okay? Is she Greene Ver 2.0? Wtf.

Anyway, I think Prototype 2 will initially focus on Blackwatch/the folks who made the virus, but the Big Baddie will likely be Pariah.

Chance on
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Yeah, my problem was that I didn't put points into whipfist or musclemass; focusing on the sword, claws and hammer. So of course it's only after beating the game and started messing around that I realized what I was missing and how much easier everything would have been.

I killed the last boss mostly by swapping helicopters with people.

Yeah, Whip-fist + Blade is really all you need. The hammer-fist is useful for the period between when the army starts sending tanks after you, and when you get the blade-arm. Claws are basically just a weaker version of the blade.

Mr Ray on
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    You know, I'd go and finish this game if my save game at just after you get the sword and armour didn't disappear when my PS3 exploded.

Maybe when I finish up Brotherhood, I'll replay this on easy just to finish it. I did like the game.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I still have my save right before the last fight... I just don't think I can do it anymore. There is WAY too much shit going on for me to focus correctly. Seriously everyone is out to kill you when there's this fucking giant monster in the road... I DON'T GET IT!

I'd work her down a little bit, but then get blasted by a tank. Jump up then a mutant smacks me down I run to grab some health and green hits me with a boulder... I finally get some food and a helicopter shoots at me... I'm like: "JESUS FUCK!! LET ME FUCKING DO SOMETHING!"

After about 2 hours of that I gave up.

urahonky on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    That being said, I actually liked the game except for some of the boss fights. I had a blast with it, and it felt awesome calling in an air strike on a base and then flying out of there.

urahonky on
  • Options
    KlashKlash Lost... ... in the rainRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Did anyone else really like stealthing entire military bases, but absolutely despise the stupid flying scanning-things? Hated those.

I also felt the game was a bit short, especially since every single "kill X in Y time/defend X in Y time" extra mission was stupidly annoying and just not fun, by and large. The races/checkpoint things were always God damned mind numbing to do on PC.

Nothing was worse than losing a couple of seconds or an entire God damned minute because Mercer decides to do a triple flipkick death-super-jump in the wrong fucking direction, because... Hell, I don't even know, the guy just reaches the edge of things and goes crazy.

More stealth punching mans in face with sling-arm, less time-trial and we've got our selves a winner.

Edit:
    @urahonky: That lady isn't the final fight. I thought the actual final fight was actually quite tame, if not suffering from what every boss fight did: focus. The problem with every boss fight in Prototype is you're trying to focus on one single, powerful entity while all these irrelevant little bastards peck at you, causing any type of power-attacks you attempt to get distributed and stuff.
    Greene was just an endless slog of throwing stuff at an immobile wall of yawn.

Klash on
    We don't even care... whether we care or not...
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I loved this game

I'm not sure I loved it quite as much as Hulk, but it certainly expanded upon their previous concept of "you are the most powerful thing on the face of the earth, here's a big giant world filled with things to kill/maim/destroy, go nuts"

Infamous is a great game, there's no doubt about it, but it is rarely satisfying in that visceral sort of way

Prototype is constantly satisfying

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    GreenGreen Stick around. I'm full of bad ideas.Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I LOVE PROTOTYPE

Seriously, love it so much

I got about halfway through my hard-mode run before putting it back down about a month ago, though I have resigned myself to the fact that I will never get a gold/platinum in all the events (fuuuuuck Hammerfist)

Green on
  • Options
    GreenGreen Stick around. I'm full of bad ideas.Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Also
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vv9wYnFSmik
    hilarious and accurate

Green on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    It is so easy to max out everything though.

Fly around city, find contaminated water silo, whipfist it from 50ft away, get paid.

Fuck you can do it even easier than that. Steal helicopter, fly around city, lock on to every water silo you see. Lightly depress right trigger. Get paid.

Fiaryn on
  • Options
    ShadeShade Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I like eating people.

Shade on
  • Options
    GaryOGaryO Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    the best thing about this game is turning into an old lay picking up a car and then just running up and down the streets of new york sending hordes of pedestrians flying.

GaryO on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    urahonky wrote: »
    I still have my save right before the last fight... I just don't think I can do it anymore. There is WAY too much shit going on for me to focus correctly. Seriously everyone is out to kill you when there's this fucking giant monster in the road... I DON'T GET IT!

I'd work her down a little bit, but then get blasted by a tank. Jump up then a mutant smacks me down I run to grab some health and green hits me with a boulder... I finally get some food and a helicopter shoots at me... I'm like: "JESUS FUCK!! LET ME FUCKING DO SOMETHING!"

After about 2 hours of that I gave up.

Get the Blade Power that let's you attack from a range, and hit Greene when she stops attacking. See the tall buidings? Get on top and hit her from there with the aforementioned blade attack. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Done.

CaptainNemo on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I spent ages mastering the movement in this game. Just ages.
    Now I can do this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvNBImFchCg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ju87jE-bhQ

Btw Basil, it's possible to kill Greene in less than 5 minutes, tops.

Use musclemass, run in circles around her, jump into the air, cannonball her middle part. It'll do WTF MANG damage to all her bits given that cannonball is splash damage. You probably only need to do it two or three times. Then beat on her when she's down using your choice of move, I prefer the devastator thing.

For the last boss, circle him and use the sprinting slash move with blade repeatedly until he is stunned, then switch to muscle mass and pound him. When it goes to the count down switch to throwing stuff at him in musclemass.

They're both very easy and quick this way. It is also quite a bad design that there is only one real way to beat them quickly given how many choices you have for everything else. But still, use the right choice, they go down like chumps.

I can't fucking wait for the sequel to this game I will eat it's soul and tear it apart and analyse it's combat engine down to the micro level. Can't. Fucking. Wait.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Don't be fooled by Morninglord's l33t skillz, you should use the Blade Cannonball or whatever it's called.

CaptainNemo on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Yah if you wanna take an hour.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Is say PSHAW to you, ser. PSHAW and NEGATORY. It'll take a bit, but certainly not an hour. Greene has a pattern, once you figure it out she's easy. The choppers will mostly focus on the hunters while you hammer Greene.

CaptainNemo on
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I should point out I only completed the game thanks to morninglord's insanely accurate tips.

Also am I the only one who wants the game to move a little slower so I could see the little parkoúr moves much more clearly?

Big Classy on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    I play on Easy, being a weenie, so take my tips with a grain of salt.

CaptainNemo on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    I spent ages mastering the movement in this game. Just ages.

I went back to it this summer and started working on more achievements. Once I learned how to move correctly (working on Pt for the movement challenges) the game was suddenly much easier.

Alex isn't designed for ultra-fine motor control in the way other PCs are, and I think it's intentional. The scale of movement is so great that they kept the controls a little loose to compensate. Relative to how far Alex can actually travel in a single leap, an intersecting street is actually a pretty small target. As ML illustrated, the best/only reliable way to corner well is to use the air dash.

Basically, less is more. Stay low to the ground and use a sequence of tiny hop/dash/dash to ground/tiny hop.... for when you need to move extremely quickly. Remember that Alex is not meant for tight motor control, and if you just give him a direction and move that way, he'll automatically negotiate obstacles and such.

tl;dr - I had major control problems until I learned how they expected you to play. Alex is not meant to easily jump from fire escape to fire escape, because the controls are tuned for the fact that he can jump from the north shore of Harlem and land nearly halfway through Central Park.

Szechuan on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    I play on Easy, being a weenie, so take my tips with a grain of salt.

Weenie or not, this is the best way to get Pt. The only challenges that remain tough are the movement ones. Even those aren't nearly as bad as they look once you control Alex the way they seem to expect you to, which is a little counterintuitive at first but makes more sense later.

Incidentally, whether or not one should have to play the game 'the way the developers intend' is an incredibly blurry line and I'm aware anyone could either love or hate Prototype for it.

Szechuan on
  • Options
    WarcryWarcry I'm getting my shit pushed in here! AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Taking turns playing this game with my brother was a blast. One night he decided to see how many choppers he could hijack without touching the ground. He got up past thirty before we both burst into tears laughing, affecting his ability to push controller buttons. He finally missed a whipfist grab and plummeted...straight into a Bullet Dive Drop where he landed on Times Square, effectively obliterating anything in the vicinity.

I've been considering buying this on Steam because I have an awesome computer now and I want to run this shit at over 60fps with AA and such. Good idea or not?

Warcry on
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I thought they locked it in at 30fps? In any case it runs fantastically on my less than stellar rig. I would have bought it during the sale but it was £7, a little too much for a game I've completed on another console.

Big Classy on