As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Borderlands: That thread is our last hope. No, there is another.

• Options
    KlashKlash Lost... ... in the rainRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I hope this is the most recent thread, it seems to be. I have a question about the GOTY edition. I went to the store to pick it up today and was put off by the notion of the token-things. I'm not really sure how it works, but I assume its a one-time download off of Gearbox's site.

Can anybody clarify how this works? Will I download little .exe packs that I can use at my leisure? Or will I get a mess of files that automatically install themselves? Is this DLC still saddled with SecuROM limits?

Also, with the DNF early access, how is that registered for? My understanding is that if you have Borderlands on Steam + all DLC, it just shows up on your game list. How does it work with non-Steam copies? Or is Borderlands a Steamworks title?

I really wanna shoot some dog-lizard-alien-things with a poison grenade launcher.

Klash on
    We don't even care... whether we care or not...
  • Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    wwtMask wrote: »
    Question for PC players: have any of you tried some of the custom maps for the game? I'm probably gonna install the fast travel mod, but I wanted to get some opinions before I started installing the other maps.

i can't personally speak for any of the other custom maps; oasis is the only one i installed. to be honest, the others are usually in unfinished states.

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Klash wrote: »
    I hope this is the most recent thread, it seems to be. I have a question about the GOTY edition. I went to the store to pick it up today and was put off by the notion of the token-things. I'm not really sure how it works, but I assume its a one-time download off of Gearbox's site.

Can anybody clarify how this works? Will I download little .exe packs that I can use at my leisure? Or will I get a mess of files that automatically install themselves? Is this DLC still saddled with SecuROM limits?

Also, with the DNF early access, how is that registered for? My understanding is that if you have Borderlands on Steam + all DLC, it just shows up on your game list. How does it work with non-Steam copies? Or is Borderlands a Steamworks title?

I really wanna shoot some dog-lizard-alien-things with a poison grenade launcher.

From looking at the Gearbox website, the DLC has SecuROM and is limited to 5 activations. Also five seperate downloads. An update and each piece of DLC.

For the DNF thing, you get a code to register on the DNF website. That's the same if you buy it on Steam.

Peewi on
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    On Steam SecuROM was removed from DLC 3 and 4 (Knoxx and Claptraps). Still there on 1 and 2 (Zombie Island and Moxxi). I don't know about the GOTY version.

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    It's safe to say I'm very late to the party, but Borderlands is the most fun I've had with a game since Mass Effect 2. Hit level cap on my PT2 pre-DLC tonight with a good chunk of side quests still left to do after completing the main quest after stating this character just under three weeks ago.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the 'correct' path through the DLC is Zombie Island, Knoxx, Moxxi (optional), and then Claptrap? Since Claptrap is the least enjoyable of the DLC's might I be better off starting with it to get it out of the way so I can end on a high point with Knoxx?

Cormac on
    Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Claptrap gets a bad rap I think, I've never played Moxxi but it sounds worse. :P Playing it last is fine, the flimsy as hell story works that way too I think.

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Moxxi isn't really a campaign like the others, it's just an arena as far as I know. The only reason to do it besides achievements is for the quest that gets you a skill point.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    And the bank, but is pointless on PC.

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Cormac wrote: »
    It's safe to say I'm very late to the party, but Borderlands is the most fun I've had with a game since Mass Effect 2. Hit level cap on my PT2 pre-DLC tonight with a good chunk of side quests still left to do after completing the main quest after stating this character just under three weeks ago.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the 'correct' path through the DLC is Zombie Island, Knoxx, Moxxi (optional), and then Claptrap? Since Claptrap is the least enjoyable of the DLC's might I be better off starting with it to get it out of the way so I can end on a high point with Knoxx?

Don't play claptrap first.

Oddly enough, it's the only one that's meant to be played in sequence: it should always come last. It recycles bosses from Knoxx and Ned, so if you play it before either of those, you'll be spoiling the final bosses for them.

I wouldn't say Claptrap is bad, it's just a little bit different. It was made by a different team, and their humor is a lot different, and the way the whole thing is laid out is pretty different. Also, the various areas are really poorly done IMO, but to make up for it the Hub town is really well done, and the final boss/area is fantastic.

Ned, Knoxx, Claptrap, Moxxi (optional) is the order I would suggest.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Ok, Ned, Knoxx, and Claptrap is it. Thanks.

Cormac on
  • Options
    envoy1envoy1 the old continentRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I have a similar question about dlc. Is it worth doing these on a 2.5 or a finished 2 playthrough? I've reached 50 on my second run but not sure at what point to enter dlc land. Should I finish the second game including the last boss and then head to the dlcs or should I just open the vault, and then head to the dlcs before coming back to kill the final boss?

envoy1 on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    envoy1 wrote: »
    I have a similar question about dlc. Is it worth doing these on a 2.5 or a finished 2 playthrough? I've reached 50 on my second run but not sure at what point to enter dlc land. Should I finish the second game including the last boss and then head to the dlcs or should I just open the vault, and then head to the dlcs before coming back to kill the final boss?

Never played the DLCs before?

I'd say do the boss of the base game. Knoxx takes place directly after the end of the base game, Ned you can do any time and the enemies scale to you, and Claptrap comes after Ned and Knoxx have both been completed.

Right now I'm cleaning up in Knoxx and Claptrap, doing the quests for Marcus in both. The fetch quests in Claptrap after the main story kind of blow, but I will probably finish them off. I may or may not do the same in Knoxx.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'm pretty sure the fetch quests in Claptrap aren't doable without putting in several thousand hours of playtime.

Or maybe that's the collection achievements.

Either way, I found like 4 slices of pizza the entire time I was in that DLC.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure the fetch quests in Claptrap aren't doable without putting in several thousand hours of playtime.

Or maybe that's the collection achievements.

Either way, I found like 4 slices of pizza the entire time I was in that DLC.

Same. But those are the achievements.

The fetch quests are the tannis android parts, and all the things Marcus wants you to get him in each of the areas. Bobbleheads by the bridges, rakk musk by the giant mining pit (that area is the worst area in the entire game, I think), and more rakk meat in the dark, shitty, confusing cavern (probably tied for worst).

So I need all those Marcus things, plus 150 more robot parts for tannis, plus I still need 250 more brains for baha in Ned.

Fuuuuck, I hate my quest OCD.

Plus in Knoxx I still have to do Marcus's cleanup quests, the circle of duty, and Crawmerax.

And I would like to do the 5-round challenges in Moxxi. Fuuuuuck.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    ThePantsAssociationThePantsAssociation A million could-be years on a thousand may-be worldsRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Lanrutcon wrote: »
    Question for PC players: have any of you tried some of the custom maps for the game? I'm probably gonna install the fast travel mod, but I wanted to get some opinions before I started installing the other maps.

Fast travel is worth it for farming Knoxx content. Haven't tried anything else, haven't really seen the need to.

Unrelated note: pearlescent weapons are a lie.

Knoxx fast travel? Where can I get this mod!?

ThePantsAssociation on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Lanrutcon wrote: »

Fast travel is worth it for farming Knoxx content. Haven't tried anything else, haven't really seen the need to.

Unrelated note: pearlescent weapons are a lie.

Knoxx fast travel? Where can I get this mod!?

http://gbxforums.gearboxsoftware.com/showthread.php?t=99587

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Man, I feel kinda bad since I rarely even think about touching SMG's. I'm sure they are probably perfectly good and not horrible and all but......

Of course, I felt the same way about Combat Rifles until I put a bunch of points in Assault.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    ReaperSMSReaperSMS Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Went about halfway through on the 360 back near release, just got it on steam to have decent controls. Running through on Lillith right now, and I hear you on the SMGs. None of them seem to really work well for me so far, shotguns/revolvers do as good or better at short range, combat rifles cover short-medium range, snipers for long range.

Then again, my usual flowchart tends to be something like:

Long range, little interference? Sniper rifle.
    %&@#)(, I've been spotted! Combat rifle while running in.
    Skrags or ants, or extreme short range stuff -- shotguns.
    medium range, or I need a kill *now* to get a second wind -- revolver

At one point or another, I had a decent repeater pistol that could mow people down, but most of those haven't held up of late. Things start taking too long, and out comes the revolver or shotgun.

... Now if only I could remember to blow all the barrels in an area before I make the mistake of standing next to one while Phoenix is still running...

ReaperSMS on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I found SMGs awesome once I understood how to build a mercenary lilith build, and once I had enough levels to put points in the right skillset. High velocity for instance is a great way to make smgs grim reapers.

edit: and quicksilver. I use smgs for 95% of my kills. close, far away, everything.

envoy1 on
  • Options
    The Fourth EstateThe Fourth Estate Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    My flowchart goes a little bit like this:

Long range, little interference? Revolver
    %&@#)(, I've been spotted! Revolver
    Skrags or ants, or extreme short range stuff Revolver
    medium range, or I need a kill *now* to get a second wind Revolver

I don't think I've touched a sniper rifle since I got my first 4.0x zoom revolver. They are absurdly versatile (moreso with mashers).

The Fourth Estate on
  • Options
    SLZMatrixSLZMatrix Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    ehh I usually come down quiet on the outskirts, configure my stuff to match the enemies real quick, open up with the sniper rifle, once they get close enough, drop bloodwing and unload with the combat rifle. Shotty if it gets too close.

SLZMatrix on
    Vicariously I Live While The Whole World Dies.
    Monster Hunter Tri : Pandion/JFRXYE Xbox360 Gamertag: GypBuster
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    SMGs are kind of ludicrous in this game

like, theoretically I guess you can get a machine gun that can outclass them, but it almost never happens

I feel like I find crazy death-dealer super accurate high fire rate SMGs all the time

and that's not even getting into the obvious benefits of an anarchy or hellfire

also long range? what is this thing of which you speak

Elendil on
  • Options
    LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Got my first pearlescent at my monthly LAN session.

...a repeater.

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Lanrutcon on
    Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Not all repeaters are bad. I have a corrosive repeater that eats through armored enemies (such as Crimson Lance) in no time at all.

My only pearlescent is a combat rifle. It's not that great.

Peewi on
  • Options
    LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Peewi wrote: »
    Not all repeaters are bad. I have a corrosive repeater that eats through armored enemies (such as Crimson Lance) in no time at all.

My only pearlescent is a combat rifle. It's not that great.

It's not terrible, it's just not great...despite being so rare. It takes ages to kill Craw's adds. I want a Bessie! (legit)

Lanrutcon on
    Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • Options
    NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2011
    Elendil wrote: »
    SMGs are kind of ludicrous in this game

like, theoretically I guess you can get a machine gun that can outclass them, but it almost never happens

I feel like I find crazy death-dealer super accurate high fire rate SMGs all the time

and that's not even getting into the obvious benefits of an anarchy or hellfire

also long range? what is this thing of which you speak

the game knows that deep down you are an invisible elf girl

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    So, Claptrap DLC. Is it just me or are Knoxx trap and Steele trap ridiculous bullet sponges?

I also don't particularly like how other than the claptraps, are just different looking versions of existing enemies.

Peewi on
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Peewi wrote: »
    So, Claptrap DLC. Is it just me or are Knoxx trap and Steele trap ridiculous bullet sponges?

I also don't particularly like how other than the claptraps, are just different looking versions of existing enemies.

Yep. Some of the bandit traps too. Absurdly high health. (I almost wrote "unrealistically" high, and then, well...)

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    ParagonParagon Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Hey guys, I've been playing Borderlands for a bit (I'm kind of late to the party), and I have a question for the thread.

Disclaimer: I only play by myself, I don't play online at all.

I find the loot rarity in this game to be very disappointing; I'm a bit into Knoxx now and finding orange stuff seems to be difficult as all hell. 99.9% of stuff that drops is just absolute shit, and I used the same level 12 combat rifle all the way up until now because it was honestly better than everything I found until very recently when I hit level 40 and found a better one. Granted, it was a pretty damn amazing rifle for its level, but throughout the 30s I definitely noticed it getting a bit old.

I googled for a bit, and I found an old thread that mentioned a modded item that allowed you to click it and get extra items and the +team find rare items mods from Scavenger and Catalyst class mods.
    I was overjoyed with this, but as it turns out patch 1.30 seems to have kind of ruined a lot of modding possibilities, I guess.

Does anyone know if it is still possible to improve the loot a bit somehow? Anything that can provide me with that functionality is fine. I've been trying to search for some actual mods of the game, but there doesn't seem to be much.

Is my only option to reinstall the game and not patch it?

Paragon on
  • Options
    MayGodHaveMercyMayGodHaveMercy Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Paragon wrote: »
    Hey guys, I've been playing Borderlands for a bit (I'm kind of late to the party), and I have a question for the thread.

Disclaimer: I only play by myself, I don't play online at all.

I find the loot rarity in this game to be very disappointing; I'm a bit into Knoxx now and finding orange stuff seems to be difficult as all hell. 99.9% of stuff that drops is just absolute shit, and I used the same level 12 combat rifle all the way up until now because it was honestly better than everything I found until very recently when I hit level 40 and found a better one. Granted, it was a pretty damn amazing rifle for its level, but throughout the 30s I definitely noticed it getting a bit old.

I googled for a bit, and I found an old thread that mentioned a modded item that allowed you to click it and get extra items and the +team find rare items mods from Scavenger and Catalyst class mods.
    I was overjoyed with this, but as it turns out patch 1.30 seems to have kind of ruined a lot of modding possibilities, I guess.

Does anyone know if it is still possible to improve the loot a bit somehow? Anything that can provide me with that functionality is fine. I've been trying to search for some actual mods of the game, but there doesn't seem to be much.

Is my only option to reinstall the game and not patch it?

Check the stores more. Seriously, the store is underappreciated. Also, glitch your way into Knoxx's armory and take all day looking through the billions of chests in there. Find awesome stuff, save, reload, repeat.

I think one thing they kind of fucked up in BLands is not giving bosses a much higher chance to drop neat shit. Like, all the named epics from bosses are ass, so just give them an inflated chance to drop random epics/legendaries and call it good.

MayGodHaveMercy on
    XBL: Mercy XXVI - Steam: Mercy_XXVI - PSN: Mercy XXVI
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Yeah, look up how to do Knoxx chest runs and farm that if you really want some better gear ASAP. It shouldn't take too long to find upgrades. The downside to the bazillions of guns is most are crap. I really need to finish the Claptrap DLC and try that farming out.

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    ParagonParagon Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    Yeah, look up how to do Knoxx chest runs and farm that if you really want some better gear ASAP. It shouldn't take too long to find upgrades. The downside to the bazillions of guns is most are crap.

Yeah, which is pretty much my problem. Since my post I actually did reach the "farmory." I've done a couple of runs with a toon on another computer for a combined +4 find rare item (I don't know if it stacks from multiple sources...), and what I said earlier still applies: 99.9% of the loot is stuff you just don't care about.
    At least I'm consistently getting the highest potential items in the armory, which is more than you can say about regular grinding where orange stuff drops maybe once every couple of hours (if that).

What I really want for this game is my favorite mod of all time in Diablo II: Unique Item drop rate multiplier (not to mention a humongous amount of +magic find %). I never cared to do Mephisto runs that would net me an Arkaine's Valor 0.0000004% of the time or whatever; with some drop rate multipliers in place, however, the chance was much more acceptable (still took me ages to actually get one, though).

My rule of thumb is pretty much that if I have about the same chance of winning the lottery in real life as I have to get something in a game, it's not worth my time.

Paragon on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Hate to break it to you, but I'm fairly sure the + find rare item mods do not work. Though it doesn't hurt throwing them on since there's nothing to fight anyway.

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    So I just started Knoxx after beating Ned and hitting level 69, and all of the enemies and items in chests, vending machines, and dropping off of enemies are all level 48-52. Up until now everything has scaled with me but Knoxx isn't for whatever reason. Am I not far enough into Knoxx for the scaling to kick in or is something else wrong?

Cormac on
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Cormac wrote: »
    So I just started Knoxx after beating Ned and hitting level 69, and all of the enemies and items in chests, vending machines, and dropping off of enemies are all level 48-52. Up until now everything has scaled with me but Knoxx isn't for whatever reason. Am I not far enough into Knoxx for the scaling to kick in or is something else wrong?
    yeah knoxx has a scaling trigger of its own

Elendil on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I'm up to 192 out 250 in braaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa(17)ins. I frickin hate defilers.

Why didn't I read the wiki beforehand to know to go to TK before doing all the quests?? WHY????

envoy1 on
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'm 19 billion years late to the party but I just beat the main story in Borderlands for the first time, all solo.

The game took a pretty considerable nose dive after Salt Flats.

The Crimson guys are a unique challenge but having to lug around a ton of Corrosive weapons for the last 15% of the game is a little stupid. But everything between level 15 and about 29 was fucking awesome.

Also I find the game breaks pretty bad if you can't find class appropriate weapons late.

As a sniper talented Mordecai I killed the final boss basically with a really nice shotgun. The effectiveness (and I presume luck of the draw) on some weapons being so much better than your class weapons takes some of the flavor away from actually picking a class. This makes me feel like the boss in Salt Flats was way more challenging and climactic.

Like, this shotgun was amazing. Scopeless, it was hitting those Vault Protector things out of the sky at long range.

Also, re: repeaters not being good. I found the shock repeater you get from one of the bosses (I think Krom) to be one of the best weapons I ever found.

Jasconius on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'm working my way through the revolution expac, its pretty nice, everything scaling to your level is also sweet. Fought Crawlermax for old times, took me more tries but I got him, now if only I could find an upgrade for my double annarchy!

Also its different trying to go spectre as a siren, probably should respec to take more of the middle tree to have upclose damage and more aoe.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Like a fool, I traded Borderlands into Gamestop a while ago. Missing it greatly, I purchased it from Games on Demand on XBL. Seriously has to be one of the best FPS's, if not the greatest game ever made. Bought it Saturday, and put 10 hours into it without even realising. Rolled a Siren this time around, focusing on the Assassin skill path.

Found an awesome Revolver that does like 148 damage, refills its own ammo, has +100% crit damage and a bunch of other cool shit I can't remember. The game has tremendous ability to keep you saying "one more quest" or "I just need to find a better SMG" and keep you going when you know you need to stop playing. Love it!

Any PA guys still playing on XBL?

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I might be alone in this but I had no real problems completing the Brains quest even though I started it about 2/3 of the way through Ned. When I finished the main quest I think had completed the collect 100 part, but with a few sidequests and another half hour after I completed those got me the 250. It's possible that my years of playing WoW made me used to farming for something (I've been clean for a few months, and I in no way miss it). The only problem I had was needing to switch to a non-elemental SMG so the zombies heads weren't obscured by the explosion effect of a Maliwan Hellfire.

Cormac on