As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[D&D 4E OOC & Recruitment] The Tomb of Horrors! aka Rocks fall, everyone dies

• Options
    Fondor_YardsFondor_Yards Elite Four Member: Hydra Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I was joking about the all striker party but you all had to make strikers so I couldn't put my monk in.....jerks. Except you Tofy, you and Hal are cool.

Given the lethal nature of this encounter, are we limited to 1 submission?

Fondor_Yards on
    Secrets, lies, and tragedy. The trifecta.
    3DS Code: 5043-2172-1361
    Xbone Tag: Salal al Din
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Feel free to put a few characters in if you so desire but I'm still going to pick fairly randomly. We're not exactly looking over subscribed at this early point.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    squishy-blobsquishy-blob Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    so the concept of tomb of horrors is loosing is fun? Sounds like dwarf fortress. :)

I think I'll submit something later on. Maybe a Cleric, sounds like he'd get a fair bit of work piecing together mutilated allies.

squishy-blob on
  • Options
    ironzergironzerg Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Awesome! I'm up for applying!
    And yes, there's some of us poor, stupid bastards that haven't lived and breathed D&D for years, so we've heard of the Tomb of "OH FUCK MY SHIT DAMN IT DO I HAVE TO ROLL ANOTHER CHARACTER FUCK" Horrors, but have never played it, so please let's spoiler some of this stuff if you want to go on about how awesome you are for knowing all the secrets.

ironzerg on
  • Options
    SnowdownSnowdown Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Good luck to everyone going through the meatgrinder that is ToH.

Have a blast.

I havn't played this since 2e....or maybe I played the 3e version.
    It was 10+ years ago, but I'm afraid when certain things were described to me, it would pop back into my head. And certain things I definitely remember.

Snowdown on
  • Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Bronzestone Tunnelfoe

Dwarf Rogue

Sheet

+3 equipment?

Phyphor on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Indeed, that does seem a tad over equipped. To be clear, starting gear for a level 9 character is one item each of levels 8, 9 and 10 and money to spend equivalent to the cost of a level 8.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Maybe I accidentally equipped him with higher level stuff, I'll double check. I know I spent level-appropriate moneys though.

EDIT: Properly equipped now.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    streeverstreever Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    MIKE MOUSTACHES: Everyman hero
    http://4e.orokos.com/sheets/2416

"What was I s'pose to do, yeh?" the man with the luxurious moustaches wheedles, his voice raspy, as he scratches behind one dirty ear with a sharp dagger.

"I mean, the King, he was pretty mad, yanno? He thinks I tried to scam his son! Why would I do that, I asked him. I mean, I'm a small time type of guy, just lookin' to get by. You want to know the truth?" he asks, leaning in, his breath a bit rancid. "I think I was setup. Yea, that's the picture. I was workin' with these dwarfs, yanno? No honor among thieves, not these days! Anyway, when the King tells me, 'Unearth the treasures of the Tomb of Horrors or be executed!', I figured, odds are pretty good I'll die either way. Might as well take a chance to get some good loot, while I'm at it! Anyway, I'm your man when it comes to traps and the likes, and I'm pretty sneaky, too, if I say so myself. If life hadn't dealt me the blows what it had, I'd be an honest adventurer like yourselves, good sirs!" You stop listening, as you start dwelling on a new thought: "Not only am I going to die, but I'm going to die listening to HIM!"

streever on
  • Options
    KamikazeCommunistKamikazeCommunist Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    To be clear, starting gear for a level 9 character is one item each of levels 8, 9 and 10 and money to spend

Oh ok, Kreth is actually under-equipped then.

KamikazeCommunist on
  • Options
    ironzergironzerg Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Introducing Melvin the Mouse, Human Cleric

Picture
    wimpycleric.jpg

Character Flavor
    "Oh jeez...the Tomb of Horrors? I thought you said we was going to sit in the tavern and drink some ale and eat roast pig. Oh boy, this isn't good at all. Someone's gonna get hurt.

Character Sheet

ironzerg on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Ferdinand Roijakker, Goliath Monk

Sheet

and...

Varis, Elf Battlemind

Sheet

I'll find images later.
    We can totally do the all striker party, nothing will go wrong forever.

Fondor_Yards on
  • Options
    KamikazeCommunistKamikazeCommunist Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Since we're adding more subjects to this supposed meatgrinder, here's a few more:

Frederick Von Twinkletoes
    Human Fighter
    Sheet

Shatül
    Kobold Seeker
    Sheet

KamikazeCommunist on
  • Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    We can totally do the all striker party, nothing will go wrong forever.

If in this tomb we should find God, God will be struck!

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
  • Options
    soxboxsoxbox Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Saksbob Omb - Gnome Bard

"I Am Saksbob Omb! I am hear to make you think about death and feel sad and stuff."

Edit: Sakbob Omb begged to be made into a bard. I granted that wish, and Mikhail Tal steps into his place:

Mikhail Tal - Genasi Warlord

"Hello. I am Mikhail. It would be pleasing me if you would hit that thing in the face."

soxbox on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Good show. We've got enough characters to get this thing started soon then. I'll give it until Weds for any last minute subs and then I'll pick my victims and we'll kick things off Thursday (ish).

Some notes on how this will roll.

- I'll be rolling pretty much all your perception skill checks so you don't know if there's really nothing there or you just rolled a 1.

- No passive perception. Or at least no 'take 10' passive perception anyway. There's just far too much to be watching all the time in this place. I'll roll perception for you in secret where appropriate, but feel free to specify specific searches. If for example you were to declare that you were 'Walking up the corridor, checking the walls for secret doors,' then I'd make two perception rolls for you when you pass that secret door, one for the passive and one for the active.

- Out of combat we'll be going with a semi-round based system. You all declare your intentions (which can be as simple as 'watch Jim open the chest through my fingers', or 'follow 10 feet behind Jim') and then I'll tell you what plays out. If 24hrs pass with us waiting for your post then you'll be standing still and doing nothing.

- Erm, I think that about covers it. I'm new to running PbP so feel free to offer better ways of doing things if you see me making a hash of something.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    PepiPopaPepiPopa Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Oh man i totally want to be in this. I am going to cook some character up. Just give me a day or so.

Edit : How much cash we starting with? The default ammount is 3400 gold but i see people buying for more and i didnt notice someone saying how much :(.
    Edit 2 : nevermind found it : Indeed, that does seem a tad over equipped. To be clear, starting gear for a level 9 character is one item each of levels 8, 9 and 10 and money to spend equivalent to the cost of a level 8

PepiPopa on
    Our testament and story is forever death or glory.
    repub_sig.jpg
  • Options
    KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Drew Kristoph, Human Avenger of Bane.

Why Bane? Because Bane is dead sexy. Here's proof.

Background.
    Basically, Drew had a shitty start to his life, and turned to Bane (he of the sexy abs) to give him the strength to stand up for himself, his family, and friends, to throw off the shackles of near-slavery imposed on them by the local nobles. It changed him though, and now he walks the earth, proving his might to all and sundry, working for those who pay the highest price for his certain set of skills. The nobles that oppressed his friends and family? They're dead, now.

Personality.
    Drew is not entirely sane. While he is not a ravening sociopath, he has trouble restraining his urge to lash out at anyone who tests his patience. Over time, his oath to bane has shaped him, and now the young man will fight with any excuse, always insisting that it is for the good of the people, to break the shackles of slavery, or purely to prove his skill in battle. He believes strongly in the virtue of Freedom, but his motives are now twisted by a constant need to prove his strength. He has an intense, often unnerving stare, and a tendency to say what he thinks rather than what would be polite. His hatred, however, is reserved for all things that constrain one's personal freedom. Though he doesn't seem to mind the concept of military discipline in the slightest.

Appearance.
    Drew is young, that much is evident, but he attempts to appear older by neglecting to shave so often. As a result, he usually has a permanent, if mild case of five o'clock shadow. A touch shy of six feet, with mid-length hair and a spare, lanky frame. His eyes are a strange shade of blue, almost dark enough to be called indigo. He has a tendency to wear old, worn travelling clothes in dark forest and earth tones, all the better to keep him hidden in the woods. He carries his oddly shaped flail, usually well hidden thanks to his cloak and the weapon's flexibility, which is inscribed with runes and writing that he cannot translate.

drewkris.jpg

drewkristokenjpg.png

Role.
    Drew breaks things. Well, people, really. And monsters. He's also adept at spotting things, and disarming the things he's spotted. People aren't usually so good at spotting him, either.

Kay on
    ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Oh man. Always wanted to try this.

I am SO down.

I'll start work on my toons now.

Farangu on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Stupid double post

Farangu on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Here's my guy:

Tor Duderson, Razorclaw Seeker

"I am Nature Hear me Roar GRAR"

Farangu on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Aleksander
    You know the thing about sanity... it's confining.
    Picture:
    ezevn.jpg

A little Back story:
    Aleksander is considered as one of the failures in assassin training.The thing with merging with the shadows is your will has to be strong and Aleksander's broke. After that the usual things happened.Killing of friends, killing of rivals, self mutilation all that good stuff.Now he just lives life for fun. And killing is fun no doubt about that.

Kayma

How do I use such a big weapon? Intelligence.
    Picture
    lyra.jpg

A little Back story:
    Many people say tiefling's look hellish and are spawns of demons. Looking at Kayma her movements and everything about her says she is a being born and educated in a calm enviroment. All her movements smooth and flowing movements while in combat suggest a high mastery in the art of war.

Never played the tomb of horrors. Heard about it from the penny arcade DnD podcast but that's about it.I am playing a few other campaigns also but if you need a puppet to die I'm here.

PepiPopa on
    repub_sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Kay wrote: »
    Also, given what the OP says, I think the point is to kill as many characters as possible and rotate in new ones, so ToH Newbies are the way to go!

beetlejuice2.jpg

Farangu on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Pssst. Pepi. You can only use Rose King's Run with a Longsword.

Kay on
    ew9y0DD.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Hm.. Thanks for that man. Going to swap it with something.Updated my character sheet with. GAZE OF RUIN. I ruin people.

PepiPopa on
    repub_sig.jpg
  • Options
    FelixSomethingSomethingFelixSomethingSomething Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Oh hell yes! Loading up the character builder now

FelixSomethingSomething on
  • Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Guy ?????, Changeling Psion

"I'm the guy who dies five minutes in to show everyone how serious the situation is!"
    GalaxyQuestGuy.jpg
    Quick Backstory:
    Guy has spent his entire life waiting to die. He is convinced that the first person to die in any situation will be him, in as gruesome a manner as possible. He has survived thus far by being remarkably good at crawling into a corner and curling up into a ball then wishing the bad things away.

Which seems to be working......so far.

But if he was going to live, he'd have a last name. Right?

Harkan Salreen, Dragonborn Warlord

"Forward you dogs! I want that wall taken by noon!"
    32.jpg
    Famed for his ability to complete any objective, given time and a sufficient quantities of warm bodies to do so, (or not, the tale of Harkan's capture of a keep in which he ordered a squad of captured prisoners to be infected with a plague then had them thrown over the walls, followed over by the infectees for good measure is well known in certain parts of the world) his services are always in high demand. A remarkable sense of self preservation paired with the ability to convince anyone that a task is not outright suicidal have seen him through thus far, but the chance to win more glory and fame (or perhaps infamy would be a better word from another point of view) is always in his thoughts.

I'm playing in other games at the moment so feel free to pick others, but if you need someone to fill the meat grinder or encourage people to continue through the meat grinder I'm your man.

Kelor on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Is Harkan the dragonborn with fake boobs under his armour on the right?

Kay on
    ew9y0DD.png
  • Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    It's a very delicate time for him right now.

Kelor on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Which way is s/he intending to go?

Kay on
    ew9y0DD.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Haha Kelor I love Guy. This guy.

PepiPopa on
    repub_sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Sussura Inconsessus, Tiefling Infernal Warlock

"What's the matter, boys? Don't you want to touch me?"

Sussura is one sexy bitch, and she knows it. She prefers a more roundabout approach to a direct one, however. She's more likely to play hard to get, be coy and yet brazen, and to sneak around back and zap you from behind cover while you have no idea where she is. Sneaky, ruthless, and downright hot. She likes fire, get it?
    sussura.jpgsussuratoken.png

Kay on
    ew9y0DD.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    And my second submission.

Terios, Minotaur Runepriest

Farangu on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    We don't have nearly enough strikers to pull this off yet. Quickly someone role up an ranger, we don't have any yet.

Fondor_Yards on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Ollon Stalkingwolf, Elf Ranger

I'm an elf with a bow. Got a problem with that? It's time you non-elves learned how a real adventurer does things.

Phyphor on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Ung, Orc Warden

Strangely, the symbol of the Frostmaiden adorns this Orc's shield...

Basic concept:
    • Charge in if they're too far away
    • Make them slooooow doooown if they're not
    • (Threw in the Auril reference for fun, because he's got a bunch of ice powers)

Also, if anyone's interested, here's a breakdown of the submissions.
    <3 for the breakdowns.

PepiPopa on
    repub_sig.jpg
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Oh I should do a breakdown for my dude.
    • Be sturdy
    • Be extra sturdy
    • Make enemies hit me
    • Have some healing on the off chance someone manages to take damage and not die from it.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I need to make up more Dwarfs.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I agree, we need more Dwarfs.

Thorir Deepiron, Dwarf (Drunken) Brawler Fighter

This is my hammer, this is my fist. Working together they never... miss! Whadda ya mean it doesn't rhyme ...hic. Another ale!

Phyphor on
  • Options
    FelixSomethingSomethingFelixSomethingSomething Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    That's it, gonna make the character I've always wanted to

VLAD HELLSTORM, DWARVEN HEAVY METAL BARD

Also a Mr. Fixit Wizard who has no business going outside of his shop

FelixSomethingSomething on