As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dragon Quest: A Wild DQ XI has appeared...on 3DS and PS4...and NX?!?

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Metal slime earrings reduce most kinds of damage by 25 %. With the right equipment, somebody like Yangus or Angelo could be near immune to certain attacks.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Yeah Dragon Quest Heroes 2 can go fuck itself. I got to a level where you have to fight 4 bosses in a row. This shit isn't fun.

The first one was better than this by a long shot.

• Options
    Golden slippers give you gold for walking. It's weird.

• Options
    edited July 2017
    Gryphon Talon, today. Claw-weapon, hurts birds. Looks classy.

I don't think DQ3 was ever released in Europe.

Haha, I didn't know that Maribel kicks the barrels if any are left in her way.

And there is apparently a lot of alternate dialogue for doing certain things out of order.

PLA on
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    The Fan of Peace is a fan what inflicts sleep.

It kind of bothers me that a 3DS can play IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX and XI. Because they're not all of them. But they look like they're supposed to be all of them.

PLA on
  • Options
    First cinematic footage of DQXI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esr0QlHIisE

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    That's some serious Grandpa Gohan-ing right there

• Options
    Light Dragon Charm can be downloaded for resistance to Sizz-spells and immunity to Bang-spells, which are among the more pressing concerns for backrow-characters due to dealing damage with even potency to all targets.

• Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    Game is out! I've only played maybe 30 minutes, but it's pretty damn cool to finally have a current-gen DQ game.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
  • Options
    It's just too bad they haven't specified whether we're getting only one or both. The PS4 version is a sure thing, but the 3DS version is the one that has been up in the air given the circumstances.

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    I am gonna go on record right now and say the 3DS version is 100% going to be released in the west.

This information is based on nothing.

Except for the fact that 4,5,6,7,8,9 are all on DS/3DS.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    As long as I get my PS4 version (please with VA, pleasepleasepleasepleeeeeeeaaaassse) I'll be a very happy camper.

• Options
    WaveformWaveform Registered User regular
    As long as I get my PS4 version (please with VA, pleasepleasepleasepleeeeeeeaaaassse) I'll be a very happy camper.

This right here. Sorry 3DS but the PS4 version is too beautiful and smooth to pass up.

Now, if we get a simultaneous PS4/Switch release in the west I'll have a real decision to make.

• Options
    BadwrongBadwrong TokyoRegistered User regular
    Still waiting on the postman dude to deliver my PS4 copy. Its been out for delivery all morning... now 1pm Tokyo time...

Steam: Badwrong || Xbox: Duncan Dohnuts || PSN: Buc_wild

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Options
    The 3DS version is pretty wildly different from the PS4 version. Comparing the polygon based appearances against eachother the PS4 version is going to win, but the alternate sprite-based style you can set that more closely follows its predecessors has a unique charm to it - a lot of love was put into the sprite and background detail that definitely makes it worth picking up for.

The LE box set that Japan got that comes with both versions would be pretty rad but I don't see SE putting that kind of effort into it.

• Options
    BadwrongBadwrong TokyoRegistered User regular
    Finally delivered a few hours ago. Its fantastic so far. No furigana on the PS4 version, but the reading level is easy enough that I get about 90%.

Feels very much like an old JRPG with new features... but not so much that it's cluttered with new shit that ruins the experience.

Steam: Badwrong || Xbox: Duncan Dohnuts || PSN: Buc_wild

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Options
    A Metal Slime Platter is downloadable. A shield what reduces spell-damage by five points. It's not excessively exciting, I wouldn't insist.

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Man, that Nintendo NX is gonna be crazy, right? :D

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    I'm relatively positive from the unchanged thread titles for this and KH that XoB has abandoned the good ship Penny Arcade

• Options
    Last Active February 2016

I don't know what gave you that idea

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    I love 9. It was the first main series entry I seriously played. Prior to 9, my only experience was with playing 8 at a friend's house on his PS2.

9 was the first game I owned myself, and so all of the silly puns, written dialects, and tropes that are repeated in the DQ series were first introduced to me in 9.

I have since gone back and purchased nearly all of them. I own 1-3 on my iphone, I own 4-6 on DS, 7 on 3DS, and soon 8 on 3DS.

I don't mind the stories. They're lighthearted and a bit generic. But they're also not super serious. Sometimes the heavy-handed world-ending universe eating demi-monsters of the Final Fantasy series can be a bit much. The DQ series is a comical, light-hearted alternative.

Honestly I don't like the FF ones any more than I do the DQ ones. I want VERY little story, if any, in all my games. I just don't have the patience anymore.

Interesting. I primarily play games for their narrative. I'm uninterested in

But it is for primarily the same reason as you: The games I play are finite. Beginning, middle, end. I invariably lose interest in competitive shooters (Overwatch, Destiny) after some time no matter how good they are. I don't even touch MMOs anymore. If a game has no or little narrative, the gameplay had better be nigh orgasmic or I have no interest.

I will never play an RPG solely for the gameplay. You better have a damn good, robust story or you can fuck off into my never, ever pile.

In other words, I don't have patience for games that are nothing but gameplay.

(This isn't meant to counter your philosophy in any way, I just thought it was interesting how we differ.)

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    Just realized this thread has been around for 7 years. Wow.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    http://kotaku.com/long-lines-and-sell-outs-for-dragon-quest-xi-in-japan-1797388170

Unsurprisingly, DQ11 is selling out in Japan. Interestingly, some stores have even had to dedicate registers to only handling DQ11 purchases.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »
    http://kotaku.com/long-lines-and-sell-outs-for-dragon-quest-xi-in-japan-1797388170

Unsurprisingly, DQ11 is selling out in Japan. Interestingly, some stores have even had to dedicate registers to only handling DQ11 purchases.

I was just there recently.

Ads for the game were EVERYWHERE.

Like they had giant slimes just vinyled on to buildings that had seemingly nothing to do with video games.

It was crazy and awesome.
    Drez wrote: »
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    I love 9. It was the first main series entry I seriously played. Prior to 9, my only experience was with playing 8 at a friend's house on his PS2.

9 was the first game I owned myself, and so all of the silly puns, written dialects, and tropes that are repeated in the DQ series were first introduced to me in 9.

I have since gone back and purchased nearly all of them. I own 1-3 on my iphone, I own 4-6 on DS, 7 on 3DS, and soon 8 on 3DS.

I don't mind the stories. They're lighthearted and a bit generic. But they're also not super serious. Sometimes the heavy-handed world-ending universe eating demi-monsters of the Final Fantasy series can be a bit much. The DQ series is a comical, light-hearted alternative.

Honestly I don't like the FF ones any more than I do the DQ ones. I want VERY little story, if any, in all my games. I just don't have the patience anymore.

Interesting. I primarily play games for their narrative. I'm uninterested in

But it is for primarily the same reason as you: The games I play are finite. Beginning, middle, end. I invariably lose interest in competitive shooters (Overwatch, Destiny) after some time no matter how good they are. I don't even touch MMOs anymore. If a game has no or little narrative, the gameplay had better be nigh orgasmic or I have no interest.

I will never play an RPG solely for the gameplay. You better have a damn good, robust story or you can fuck off into my never, ever pile.

In other words, I don't have patience for games that are nothing but gameplay.

(This isn't meant to counter your philosophy in any way, I just thought it was interesting how we differ.)

Ayy this is exactly the same for me.

I require a narrative. Thus why the indie scene everyone seems to be big on doesn't do much for me. Not that there aren't games there with a narrative but a lot of it doesn't focus on that and thus it does nothing for me. I want a narrative and I want it to have a proper conclusion. Also why I don't replay games because after the first time it is no longer about the narrative since I already know the entire narrative.

• Options
    I generally do not replay story-heavy games, at least not right away. Not until I've had a chance to forget the story. Like with FF12. I played it through to completion on PS2 but at this point I barely remember it. Playing the remaster is almost like a new experience. Almost.

• Options
    I generally do not replay story-heavy games, at least not right away. Not until I've had a chance to forget the story. Like with FF12. I played it through to completion on PS2 but at this point I barely remember it. Playing the remaster is almost like a new experience. Almost.

I wish I didn't remember as much of it because I could really go for a jurp right now and the updates to it make it seem like sooooo much fun.

• Options
    http://kotaku.com/goodness-dragon-quest-xi-sold-a-buttload-in-japan-1797457176

Current combined total, 2 million copies sold in the last two days. The 3DS version selling an amount more than the PS4 version. This is not including digital download sales.

I think the game did pretty okay, guys

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Considering the PS4 isn't selling all that great in Japan, DQ11's wacky strategy makes perfect sense.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    PS4 actually sold pretty well considering! Only a bit behind the DS version at 950k vs 1.1mil.

Still many times more than Zelda sold just based on the PS4 copies.

That's damn good.

• Options
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Woo Switch!

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    Oh man...

• Options
    They're re-releasing Dragon Quests 1 - 3 on PS4 and 3DS in Japan.

http://www.siliconera.com/2017/08/06/dragon-quest-ii-iii-headed-japan-ps4-3ds-august/

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »

http://www.siliconera.com/2017/08/06/dragon-quest-ii-iii-headed-japan-ps4-3ds-august/

I want this. Gimme. Give it to all of North America and Europe!

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    edited August 2017
    PLA wrote: »
    The Fan of Peace is a fan what inflicts sleep.

It kind of bothers me that a 3DS can play IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX and XI. Because they're not all of them. But they look like they're supposed to be all of them.
    skeldare wrote: »

!!!

Edit: Screenshots.
    https://www.nintendo.co.jp/titles/50010000043036
    https://www.nintendo.co.jp/titles/50010000043037
    http://gematsu.com/gallery/dragon-quest-iii-the-seeds-of-salvation/august-7-2017/

PLA on
  • Options
    Is it 3 games on one cartridge, or 3 separate cartridges?