As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Let's Play Lone Wolf: Book 22, Mydnight's Hero. We need Grand Master Dicipline: Spelling.

• Options
    NeadenNeaden Registered User regular
    Get drunk and get in fights.

• Options
    Man in the MistsMan in the Mists Registered User regular
    Screw you guys, I'm going home

• Options
    ConnoQuicksilverConnoQuicksilver Current blackout status: Mass Effect 3, Batman: AC Athens. GreeceRegistered User regular
    We shall NOT be denied beer a second time! By Ishir, I need a drink!

• Options
    IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    What the hey... Alcohol this time

steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
  • Options
    HykuHyku Registered User regular
    We shall NOT be denied beer a second time! By Ishir, I need a drink!

• Options
    TagTag Registered User regular
    Page 108: You pat your Belt Pouch to make the coins inside jingle, and then you tell the innkeeper that you want to buy your companions a drink.

‘What's wrong wiv' you? Ya hard o'hearin'? I said get out and I meant get out!’ And with these harsh words the innkeeper flashes a glance at a group of mean-faced men who are standing along the counter. They put down their ales and then move slowly towards you, their hands hovering menacingly around the hilts of their swords and daggers. For a few anxious moments it looks as if a fight is about to break out, but then a gruff voice arises from the corner of the taproom and the men halt in their tracks.

‘Hold y'horses,’ says the commanding voice. ‘Let me speak with the Northlander.’

You peer across the smoky room and see that the voice belongs to a stout, bearded man who is sitting alone in an alcove. He beckons you to join him, but when you approach his table in the company of the Suhnese crewmen he suddenly snaps at you: ‘I said I wanted to speak to you, not these raggin' crows. If you want to do business with me, they'll have to wait for you in the street outside.’

If you decide to agree to his terms, turn to 164.

If you refuse to part company with the Suhnese, turn to 121.

Bleh rather than having 2 really boring updates in a row, I'm gonna listen to his offer. I read ahead and both paths meet up.

Page 164: You apologize to your companions and ask them to wait for you outside the tavern. Meekly they agree, and as they file out of the door, you assure them that you will not keep them waiting too long. You then sit opposite the bearded man and soon discover that he is a merchant captain from Lunarlia. He is interested in buying copper but he will only offer you 4 Nobles for an ingot. It is a poor price and you tell him that you will have to speak with Captain Jenkshi before you can agree to his bid.

As you rise from your seat he tells you to wait a moment. Copper is not the only thing that he buys. He offers to pay you 8 Nobles for any Special Item you possess (excluding the Moonstone which is not for sale), 2 Nobles for any Weapon, and 1 Noble for any Backpack Item. If you wish to raise some money for yourself by selling items of equipment to this man, do so now and adjust your Action Chart accordingly.

You bid the merchant goodnight and he acknowledges the pleasantry with a snake-like blink of his eyes. As you go he calls out to remind you that he can be found here in the morning should Jenkshi decide to sell his copper ingots for 4 Nobles each.

Turn to 5.

Page 5: You rejoin your companions and hurry with them through the flagstoned streets, retracing your route back to the harbour in the hope of reaching The Azan before the night closes in completely. You are within a few hundred yards of the harbour entrance when suddenly a patrol of the city watch come marching around a corner with their spears couched on their chainmailed shoulders. Their officer commands you all to halt and demands that you raise your hands above your heads.

If you wish to do as the officer has ordered, turn to 228.

If you decide to make a dash for the harbour, turn to 330.

Overwatch: TomFoolery#1388
    Black Desert: Family Name: Foolery. Characters: Tome & Beerserk.
    (Retired) GW2 Characters (Fort Aspenwood): Roy Gee Biv
    (Retired) Let's Play: Lone Wolf
  • Options
    How are we doing on money?

Run away!

• Options
    We could run if we were alone, but our mooks can't keep up. Talk to the popo

• Options
    ConnoQuicksilverConnoQuicksilver Current blackout status: Mass Effect 3, Batman: AC Athens. GreeceRegistered User regular
    Oh, right, there's a curfew going on.

Educated guess:
    Whatever we do, we're probably going to find ourselves in a prison cell in about 3 pages.

So let's just get it over with and stand put.

Maybe, just maybe, we'll FINALLY find some beer in the warden's quarters.

• Options
    Wow, you're actually hoping for toilet hootch?

• Options
    Neaden wrote:
    We could run if we were alone, but our mooks can't keep up. Talk to the popo

• Options
    WubWub Registered User regular
    Stupid minions, slowing us down. Problem, officer?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Page 228:The city watch round you up and guard you at spear-point until two horse-drawn wagons arrive to take you away to the city gaol. As you are herded aboard these foul-smelling carriages, your Weapons, Kai Weapon, and Backpack Items are confiscated and dumped into a wooden crate beside the driver's seat. (On your Action Chart mark each of these items with an asterisk [*] to indicate that they are no longer in your possession, but do not erase them at this time. Any Special Items you possess are allowed to remain with you.)

At the officer's command the wagons move off at a speedy pace. After a few bruising minutes your wagon emerges from the gloomy streets and ascends a smooth ramp which passes through the daunting gate of Ghol-Tabras gaol. Above this gate flutters a flag which depicts a black serpent entwined around the blade of a silver scimitar. It is the personal emblem of Sesketera, the ruler of this city, a man not known for either his kindness or for his mercy.

Turn to 265.

Page 265: The gaol of Ghol-Tabras was once the southern wing of a grand citadel built by Jublazh Khyr, the first emperor of Shadaki. Its cells are reputed to be among the most escape-proof of any in Southern Magnamund, especially those which are located below ground level in the dungeons of the old citadel. Upon arriving at the gaol, you and your companions are thrown into a communal cell on the second floor. However, as soon as the gaolers examine the Kai Weapon and equipment that they confiscated from you, they begin to think that perhaps you are something more than just a hapless curfew-breaker.

An hour after you arrive, the door of the communal cell bangs open and six armed citadel guards burst in. They have come to take you away from the Suhnese and transfer you to a separate cell below ground level. Your destination turns out to be a damp, windowless chamber. It opens onto a torchlit corridor that is lined with rusting stands of armour. At the end of the corridor is a guardroom and, when you pass by this room on your way to the cell, you catch a glimpse of the wooden crate which contains your weapons and equipment. It is being stored here. You are pushed into your dingy cell, and then the iron door is slammed shut and bolted. As you listen to the footsteps of the guards receding down the corridor, you vow that you will escape from this gaol before the night is over.

If you possess Elementalism, and wish to use it, turn to 182.

If you possess Kai-surge, and wish to use it, turn to 115.

If you possess Grand Nexus, and wish to use it, turn to 65.

If you possess none of these skills, or if you choose not to use them, turn to 294.

Ooh, do we try out our new Elementalism, or trust our reliable Kai-Surge?

• Options
    I guess I'll be the first to want to take our new friend Elementalism for a spin.

• Options
    LuianeLuiane Registered User regular
    I suppose I will be the second to want to try Elementalism, then!

Steam id: Varys
    LoL EU West nickname: Irridan
  • Options
    I guess I'll be the first to want to take our new friend Elementalism for a spin.

What the heck. Give it a try.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    Page 182: Calling upon your Grand Mastery, you focus upon the section of stone door jamb into which the bolt is secured, and you cause it to vibrate. It is a slow and tiring process (lose 3 ENDURANCE points) but eventually the stonework cracks under this persistent pressure. When the strength of the stone has been sufficiently undermined, you are then able to wrench open the cell door.

Turn to 24.

By my count we're now at 34 Endurance

Page 24: You leave your cell and make your way silently along towards the guardroom. You are determined to retrieve your Kai Weapon and equipment, but you are also aware that you must avoid alerting the guards if you are to preserve your hopes of escaping from this gaol alive.

Peering around the door to the guardroom you discover that it is occupied by three gaolers. They are playing cards, and they are using the crate which contains your equipment as a makeshift table. In order to get at your equipment you must first lure the gaolers out of the room.

If you possess Assimilance, and have attained the rank of Kai Grand Master Superior, turn to 234.

If you possess the Discipline of Grand Nexus, and wish to use it, turn to 302.

If you do not possess these skills, have yet to attain the required level of Kai Mastery, or choose not to use your skills, turn instead to 130.

:-/

Page 130: You take a torch from its bracket in the wall and hurl it down the corridor. Then, using your Kai camouflage skills, you press yourself into a shadowy recess in the wall and remain completely still. The guards hear something clatter along the floor outside their room and they react immediately. They grab fresh torches and rush to investigate both the noise and the sudden dimness that has enveloped the corridor. The moment they step through the doorway, your hiding place is illuminated by the glare of their torches.

Pick a number from the Random Number Table. If you possess Assimilance, add 3 to the number you have picked.

If your total score is now 4 or lower, turn to 222.

If it is 5 or higher, turn to 81.

We got a 7

Page 81: Your Kai camouflage skills keep you hidden despite the glare of the gaolers' torches. As soon as they have passed by, you slip inside the guardroom and retrieve your confiscated equipment (you may now erase the asterisks from your Action Chart).

As you are sheathing your Kai Weapon into your belt, you hear the guards returning along the corridor. Looking around, you see that there is one other exit from this room—a heavy oak door which is banded with strips of black iron.

Turn to 314.

Page 314: You run to the door, pausing only to pick up a nail that you see lying on the floor. Using this nail you attempt to pick the lock and open the door before the approaching gaolers reach the guardroom.

Pick a number from the Random Number Table. If you possess the Discipline of Grand Nexus, add 3 to the number you have picked.

If your total score is now 4 or lower, turn to 337.

If it is 5 or higher, turn to 286.

We got exactly 5!

Page 286: After only a few seconds of manipulation the lock clicks open. You discard the nail and then reach for the handle and twist it. To your relief, the heavy door creaks open to reveal a flight of spiral stairs which ascend into darkness above.

Hurriedly you climb these stone steps and come to a landing where several corridors converge. Some are occupied by gaolers and other officials of Sesketera's citadel who are going about their duties. Then you hear the sound of footsteps ascending the spiral stairs behind you, and this sound reminds you of the pressing need to keep moving. You draw upon your Magnakai Disciplines of Huntmastery and Pathsmanship to help you choose the best route and, to your surprise, in so doing you discover a secret panel in the wall at the head of the spiral staircase. You reach out and press a raised stud and the concealed panel slides open to reveal a narrow passageway beyond. Quickly you enter this passage and the panel automatically clicks shut behind you.

Turn to 170.

Page 170: The secret passage is festooned with cobwebs and shows little sign of having been used for many decades. It twists and turns for several hundred yards before ending at a blank wall of crumbling plaster. Closer inspection reveals another panel, one that is controlled by a lever set into the web-strewn ceiling.

You pull this lever and the panel squeaks open to reveal a sumptuous chamber hung with rich and colourful tapestries. Incense smoulders in silver bowls and the perfumed air is filled with the chirping sounds of exotic caged birds.

small9.png

Cautiously you enter this luxurious room and see that it is one of several antechambers which adjoin a larger hall. Seated upon a padded chair in the middle of this hall is a young dark-haired woman who is dressed in flowing white silks. Her head is bowed and she appears to be upset. She is sobbing quietly.

If you have ever visited the city of Barrakeesh in a previous Lone Wolf New Order adventure, turn to 39.

If you have not, turn to 253.

Page 39: Your heart misses a beat the instant you recognise the face of this unhappy young woman. It is Oriah, the highborn daughter of the Funtal of Fio Fadali, the runaway who travelled with you aboard The Pride of Sommerlund on its ill-fated voyage out of Barrakeesh. Ever since she was abducted in the mountain town of Kilij you thought it unlikely that you would ever see her again. Yet here she sits, alone and dejected in a hall that is overflowing with an abundance of riches.

‘Oriah?’ you whisper hesitantly, hardly daring to believe that it is really her. She raises her head and her eyes widen with shocked surprise when she sees you. Then a smile, filled with hope and joy, lights up her tear-streaked face. She leaps from her chair and comes running to you to throw herself into your arms.

‘Oh, Grand Master,’ she sobs, ‘I never thought that I'd see you again. How did you know that I was here?’

You tell Oriah of what has happened since you arrived in Ghol-Tabras, and that you had no idea that she was here at all. She explains that after she was abducted by slavers in Kilij, she was sold to Sesketera who brought her here to his citadel. She is to be kept imprisoned in this hall until their wedding day, one month from now.

‘Let us escape from this place together,’ you say, but she shakes her head.

‘No, it cannot be. Sesketera is holding my friends. They are his hostages. If I leave the citadel before our wedding day he will put them to the sword. I cannot leave. But I know how I may help you to escape. Come, Grand Master, follow me.’

Turn to 78.

Heh, I was wondering what happened to her...

Page 78: Oriah takes you to another antechamber where she opens a door concealed behind a hanging tapestry. A narrow torchlit passage lies beyond this door and together you follow it until you arrive at a domed alcove. Here Oriah touches the head of a marble statue and the alcove swivels open to reveal a balcony encircling a large hall. Peering over the parapet you see that it is the main entrance hall to Sesketera's citadel. Its polished stone floor lies some twenty feet below the balcony, and its doors are guarded by two impressive warriors. They are attired in gold armour which glimmers in the weak rays of sunlight that are now filtering into the hall through its stained glass roof.

‘Wait a few moments,’ whispers Oriah. ‘They are the night guards. Dawn is breaking and soon their watch will be over. There is always a lapse before the morning guards come on duty. The doors will then be unmanned and you will be able to escape from the citadel without being seen.’

Minutes later, just as she predicted, the warriors march away and leave the doors to the citadel unguarded. Oriah wishes you good luck, but as she leans forward to kiss you fondly on the cheek, a stern voice suddenly shatters the silence of the hall.

‘Oriah! What deceit is this!’

You spin around and see a tall, broad-shouldered man clad in a high-necked robe of purple silk. He has emerged from an archway and he is standing near the parapet rail at the far side of the balcony.

‘Sesketera … ’ gasps Oriah. She snatches her hands to her mouth and then she swoons and faints. You catch her as she falls and you lay her carefully down upon the floor. Sesketera shouts for his guards until he notices that the hall below is empty. He curses their absence, and then he begins to move around the balcony towards you. He is unarmed—but not for long. He grabs a ceremonial weapon from a stand of armour and quickens his pace. As he levels this deadly spear at your chest you see that his eyes are filled with a blind, jealous rage.

If you have ever visited the city of Bisutan in a previous Lone Wolf New Order adventure, turn to 322.

If you have not, turn to 43.

Well.... shit.

Page 78: As he stalks closer, Sesketera suddenly realises that you are not a native Shadakine. Your fair skin and Kai clothing reveal to him that you are a Northlander.

‘By the ghost of Agarash,’ he hisses, through his gritted teeth, ‘you're the cur who slew my brother, Dar-Isun. And now you come here, to my citadel, to steal my bride! By the gods, you'll pay for this with your life!’

Sesketera lifts the spear in his right hand and spins it by the haft. It is an impressive display of control which leaves you in no doubt that he is a formidable fighter.

‘Vengeance will be mine!’ he screams.

If you possess a Bow, and wish to use it, turn to 274.

If you do not possess a Bow, or choose not to use it, turn to 245.

Page 274:You draw an Arrow to your Bow and take aim at Sesketera's head. His dark eyes widen with shock when he sees you release the bowstring, but as the Arrow comes speeding towards his face, he recovers his composure and attempts to bat the missile aside with the blade of his spear.

Pick a number from the Random Number Table. If you possess Grand Weaponmastery with Bow, add 5 to the number you have picked.

If your total score is now 0–8, turn to 106.

If it is 9 or higher, turn to 317.

We got a 5 + 5 = 10

Go go Grand Weaponmastery!

Page 317: Your Arrow glances off the blade of Sesketera's spear and gashes his face. It is not a serious wound but it makes him drop his weapon and stagger backwards. He is clutching at his injured cheek with both hands and you can see blood is beginning to trickle freely through his fingers. Then you hear a noise over on the far side of the balcony and moments later three citadel guards come rushing through the open archway.

‘Kill him!’ shouts Sesketera, and he presses himself flat to the wall so that they are able to get to you. Looking down into the hall you note that the main doors are still unguarded despite the incessant ringing of the alarm bell. Fearing that your only route of escape may soon be sealed off, you shoulder your Bow and leap boldly over the parapet.

If you possess Kai-alchemy, turn to 75.

If you do not possess this Grand Master Discipline, turn to 142.

Page 75: As you leap over the parapet, you utter the words of the Brotherhood Spell Levitation. By using this spell you are able to control the speed of your fall. Immediately your feet touch down on the floor of the hall below, you are able to rush to the main doors and escape from the citadel at a run.

Turn to 155.

Page 155: Once outside the main doors, you hurry across a wide stone bridge that spans the dry moat encircling Sesketera's citadel. Ahead you can see a cobblestoned plaza which is flanked on three sides by municipal buildings and shops, and on its fourth side by barracks and stables. The sound of the alarm bell is beginning to awaken interest in the plaza. Faces peer from windows and you can see men running to and fro inside the barracks compound. Then the gate to the stables swings open and suddenly there appears a man on horseback. He is one of Sesketera's guards and he comes galloping towards you with a lance levelled at your chest.

You skid to a halt and quickly focus on the rider's horse. Using your Magnakai Discipline of Animal Control, you command the horse to jump in the air. This has the effect of startling the horse and, in its confusion, it begins to buck and twist. The rider is thrown from his saddle and left sprawled unconscious on the ground. Now you use your Kai skills to calm the startled horse. As he settles down, you leap into his saddle and escape from the plaza at a gallop.

The incessant sound of the alarm bell follows you through the early-morning streets of Ghol-Tabras. Even as you reach the entrance to the harbour, more than a mile from the citadel, you can still hear it echoing over the rooftops. You look back over your shoulder and see that you are being followed by a dozen riders. They are citadel guards and they have been ordered to stop you at all costs. As you gallop along the harbour wall, your heart sinks when you see that The Azan is surrounded by soldiers. You race past them before they have a chance to load and fire their bows, but you soon come to the end of the harbour wall where you are forced to a halt. The bridge which spans the harbour entrance is too narrow to cross on horseback and so you abandon your mount and hurry across it on foot. You are nearing its centre when you see a trading ship passing directly below. It is leaving the harbour. Suddenly an arrow pierces your cloak and makes you freeze in your tracks. The soldiers are firing at you and, to your dismay, you see that they have sealed off both exits from the bridge. As they begin to move towards you from each side, firing as they advance, you climb onto the parapet of the bridge and attempt to leap onto the deck of the passing trader.

If you possess the Discipline of Magi-magic, and wish to use it, turn to 193.

If you possess the Discipline of Kai-alchemy, and wish to use it, turn to 26.

If you possess neither of these skills, or if you choose not to use them, turn to 63.

Page 26: As you leap from the parapet of the harbour bridge, you utter the words of the Brotherhood Spell Invisible Shield to help protect yourself from the arrows that are now whistling past on all sides. It is a precaution that saves you from sustaining a serious wound. As you fall, you see an arrow deflected away from your chest by this invisible barrier.

Turn to 280.

Page 280: You hit the moving deck and your legs crumple beneath you. Badly winded by the fall, you have difficulty in standing and are barely able to rise to your knees. Instinctively, you reach for your weapon. You are feeling vulnerable and are fearful that the crew of this trader may attempt to throw you overboard before you fully recover your senses. Yet to your surprise you hear that they are cheering. Your daring escape from Sesketera's guards has impressed them immensely.

A tall man with wavy grey hair takes you by the arm and helps you to your feet. He hands you some coins that fell from your Belt Pouch when you hit the deck, and you thank him for his kind assistance. You notice that he is wearing the five stripes of a merchant captain of Siyen on the sleeve of his blue jacket.

‘You must o' ruffled Sesketera's feathers good and proper for him to 'ave turned 'is guards on you like that,’ he says, with a wry grin. Then he faces his crew and says: ‘Anyone who can achieve that can't be all bad, eh, lads!’

The crew cheer again. It is plain by their reactions that they are glad to be leaving Ghol-Tabras and its tyrannical ruler. The Captain hands over the running of his ship to his bo'sun and then he helps you to his cabin where he pours you a reviving draught of Siyenese ale. This brew has a peculiar grey-green colour but it tastes delicious. You soon learn that you have jumped aboard the Seasprite, a Siyenese merchantman under the able command of Captain Radyard. It is carrying a cargo of fine wool and linen and is bound for the port of Masama on a voyage that should take eight days. Radyard had expected to sell half of his cargo in the Ghol-Tabras market, but the heavy mooring charges and the unfriendly mood of the natives there had prompted him to make an early departure. His native homeland—Siyen—has traded with Sommerlund for centuries. Radyard much admires your land and its people and he is happy to allow you to stay on board his ship. You are thankful for his hospitality, but you feel you should offer him some form of payment for your passage to Masama.

If you possess the Siyen Crown, turn to 333.

If you do not possess this Special Item, turn to 123.

That damn crown again.

Page 123: You take a handful of coins from your Belt Pouch and offer them to Radyard as payment for your passage to Masama, but the jovial Captain declines to accept them. There is plenty of room on his ship and he is happy to allow you to stay aboard for free. He refills your glass with ale and then he proposes a toast. It is one that you readily applaud:

‘To the long and continuing friendship of our peoples—to Sommerlund and Siyen!’

Turn to 239.

Page 239: When you and the Captain return to the main deck of the Seasprite, Ghol-Tabras is little more than a tiny speck shimmering on the far horizon. Your daring leap from the harbour bridge is still the talk of the crew and they are eager to shake your hand when Radyard proudly shows you around his ship. The Siyenese are a friendly crew with a keen sense of humour that they readily share. You enjoy being in their company and the next three days at sea pass effortlessly. On the evening of the fourth day, Radyard drops anchor off the coast at a place called Kastrow's Door. It is a narrow strait that runs between the jungle mainland and the Isle of Kobra. The night is calm and clear, and the stirrings of a warm southerly breeze promise fine sailing for the following day. Yet despite these good omens you awaken next morning feeling ill at ease. As you are leaving your cabin to go on deck, suddenly you hear the lookout in the crow's nest shout a warning that chills your blood: ‘Man o'war off the starboard bow!’

Turn to 16.

Page 16: You climb the stairs to the foredeck and scan the horizon for signs of a pirate raider. Less than a mile away you can see a huge vessel with a purple mainsail sailing towards the strait. Captain Radyard appears at your side and he views the approaching craft through his telescope.

small4.png

‘Weigh anchor!’ he orders. ‘Unfurl all canvas. I want every ounce of speed she'll give us, lads.’ The Captain's urgent orders stir the crew into a frenzy of activity. As they set about their duties, you ask Radyard what is wrong. Without taking his eye from his telescope he says:

‘That's Sesketera's flagship—The Triasus. I'd recognise her sails anywhere. That scoundrel must want you badly to have sent the pride of his battle fleet after the likes of us.’

With all canvas lowered, the Seasprite cuts a rapid course through the glassy blue waters of Kastrow's Door. Yet The Triasus has the advantage and relentlessly she closes the gap until no more than 30 yards of water separate her from the Seasprite's starboard beam. The Siyenese cajole and curse and wave their fists at their pursuers, but their bravado soon crumbles when they find themselves staring into the muzzles of a double row of wide-bored naval cannon. A warning shot from a swivel gun whistles through the Seasprite's rigging, and then you hear the voice of Sesketera himself.

‘Surrender the Northlander to me, Captain,’ he shouts, through a loudhailer, ‘or I'll have my gunners blow your ship out of the water!’

Radyard glances at you with fear in his eyes. He knows that he cannot outrun The Triasus, and he also knows that Sesketera is not a man who is given to making idle threats.

If you wish to volunteer to surrender to Sesketera in order to save Captain Radyard and his ship, turn to 113.

If you decide instead to abandon the Seasprite and attempt to swim for the shore, turn to 92.

Tag on
  • Options
    He wants us, not the crew. Take a dive and go for the shore.

• Options
    Time for a swim.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    To the sea!

• Options
    Lets take a dip

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Page 92: You estimate that you are less than a mile from the mainland coast—a comfortable distance for a good swimmer, especially for one who possesses the strength and stamina of a Kai Grand Master.

You say farewell to Captain Radyard and he thanks you for your selflessness. He orders his crew to hoist the sails, and he tells his bo'sun to wave a white flag from the stern deck to signal to Sesketera that he is complying with his commands. A longboat is launched from The Triasus to collect you. It is carrying an officer and six marines, each armed with a half-pike and a Bor pistol. Radyard suggests that you go to the head of the boarding ladder so that you can surrender to the longboat's officer when he comes aboard.

‘Who said anything about surrender?’ you retort.

‘But … I thought … ,’ stutters the Captain.

‘I've no intention of surrendering to Sesketera!’ you say, and before Radyard can utter another word, you vault over the gunwale and plunge feet-first into the clear blue sea.

Turn to 128.

Page 128: The sea is warm and its clarity makes it easy for you to locate the massive hull of The Triasus. Having filled your lungs before you hit the water, you stay submerged and strike out for the distant shore. Only once you have passed beyond the shadow of Sesketera's flagship do you come up for air. As you break the surface you notice that the crew of The Triasus are scouring the sea, straining themselves to catch a glimpse of where you are. A marine on the prow deck spots you and, to your surprise, Sesketera's crew begin to laugh and jeer.

You are trying to fathom the reason for their laughter when suddenly you are struck in the back by a heavy, powerful blow.

Pick a number from the Random Number Table. If the number you have picked is odd (i.e. 1, 3, 5, 7, 9) reduce your ENDURANCE score by 3. If the number you have picked is even (i.e. 2, 4, 6, 8, 0) reduce your ENDURANCE score by 5.

To continue, turn to 243.

D:

We got a 0. Figures we would get one when it sucks.

Page 243: The shock of the unexpected blow knocks the air from your lungs and somersaults you down into the water. You draw upon your Kai skills to numb your pain and gather your senses and, as your vision clears, you discover that you are still in one piece. However, the satchel containing the Moonstone is no longer slung around your shoulder. The strap has broken and you glimpse the bag sinking towards a coral reef, five fathoms below. Suddenly you sense movement in the water and you twist around. Speeding towards you comes a marine monster; it is returning after having rammed you in the back. It resembles a gigantic crocodile, but one with a blunt-muzzled head and scales of dull grey horn. As it closes for the kill its great jaw swings open revealing a ghastly red maw lined with dozens of dagger-like fangs.

ill14.png

If you wish to try to reach the surface and fill your empty lungs with fresh air, turn to 166.

If you decide to unsheathe your Kai Weapon and prepare to defend yourself from this creature's attack, turn to 67.

Hrm, we don't yet have Grand Nexus which seems most likely to help us on low air, but swiming to the surface also looks like it has it's own risks.

• Options
    Hello there, future boots and vest

• Options
    VOTE! :P

• Options
    Stab it! Stab it with pointy things!

• Options
    Neaden wrote:
    Stab it! Stab it with pointy things!

I guess that one, booo I wanted to surrender! Maybe get some free gruel and water.... ;)

• Options
    Everyone will be jealous of our snappy new boots.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Oh yeah, gator shish-kebap!

• Options
    Page 67: You steel yourself to attack the creature as it spreads its massive jaws and gets ready to devour you whole.

Nigumu-sa: COMBAT SKILL 40 ENDURANCE 50

This creature is immune to all forms of psychic attack. Unless you possess Grand Nexus, reduce your COMBAT SKILL by 4 due to your desperate lack of oxygen. You are unable to consume any potions prior to the combat. If the Kai Weapon you wield is ‘Ulnarias’, you will benefit from the bonus gained due to its unique properties.

If you win the combat, turn to 260.

On page 239 it said it was evening, so I believe we get our swords power as well, even though it wasn't mentioned specifically.

CR: 32 + 7 (Kaistar) + 5 (Grand Weaponmastery) - 4 (Oxygen) - 40 = 0

Endurance = 29
    Your Random Number is: 2
    Your Enemy took 4 damage -
    and now has 46 Endurance Points.
    Stormheart took 4 damage -
    and now has 25 Endurance Points.

Your Random Number is: 8
    Your Enemy took 11 damage -
    and now has 35 Endurance Points.
    Stormheart took 0 damage -
    and now has 25 Endurance Points.

Your Random Number is: 5
    Your Enemy took 7 damage -
    and now has 28 Endurance Points.
    Stormheart took 2 damage -
    and now has 23 Endurance Points.

Your Random Number is: 3
    Your Enemy took 5 damage -
    and now has 23 Endurance Points.
    Stormheart took 4 damage -
    and now has 19 Endurance Points.

Your Random Number is: 5
    Your Enemy took 7 damage -
    and now has 16 Endurance Points.
    and now has 17 Endurance Points.

Your Random Number is: 6
    Your Enemy took 8 damage -
    and now has 8 Endurance Points.
    and now has 15 Endurance Points.

YOU HAVE DEFEATED YOUR ENEMY!!
    Last Roll!
    Stormheart took 2 total damage -
    and now has 13 Endurance Points.

Page 260: The monster writhes in its death throes, spreading its blood like a huge crimson cloud through the warm tropical sea. For a fleeting moment you surface to take a breath; then you dive through the cloud of blood and retrieve your lost satchel from the coral reef. Having regained your precious charge, you stay submerged and swim towards the shore.

Aching and close to exhaustion, you crawl from the sea and work your way slowly up the beach to the cover of a fallen toa tree. Here you lie upon the wet sand and look out at the two ships standing half a mile off the coast. The longboat from The Triasus is circling the bloodstained water and its crew appear to be searching for your remains.

Pick a number from the Random Number Table.

If the number you have picked is 0–4, turn to 304.

If it is 5–9, turn to 54.

We got a 3

page 304: While you are observing the longboat, you repair the broken satchel strap and check the condition of your Backpack and Weapons. Whilst doing this you discover that you lost one Backpack Item during your underwater battle.

Erase from your Action Chart the third item which you have recorded on your list of Backpack Items.

To continue, turn to 171.

We have a meal in 3rd, so... yay buffer items I guess :P

Page 171: Soon the longboat abandons its search and returns to The Triasus. You watch as both ships unfurl their sails and depart from the coast, The Triasus heading north and the Seasprite sailing south. Sesketera must be satisfied that you perished during your encounter with the terrible Nigumu-sa. Your only regret is that Captain Radyard and his crew probably believe this to be true as well.

When you can no longer see the two ships, you take out your map and unfold it on the sand. Aided by your Kai tracking skills, you determine that you have come ashore at the tip of a mainland peninsula, at a point close to the Isle of Kobra. The nearest city is Masama. It lies over 300 miles away to the southwest, beyond a wide expanse of dense jungle and hills. The thought of traversing this uncharted territory, alone and on foot, is one that fills you with dread. But you take comfort in the knowledge that you survived your battle in the sea and that you still possess the Moonstone.

small7.png

You are tired and hungry after your ordeal. Unless you possess the Discipline of Grand Huntmastery, you must now eat a Meal or lose 3 ENDURANCE points.

Turn to 209.

Page 209: You set off along the shore, keeping the waters of the Gulf of Serpents in sight to help you gauge your progress. The jungle bordering this coast is teeming with wildlife yet you detect no sign of tribal inhabitants. After your encounter with the natives of Dlash-da Ralzuha, you decide that perhaps this is a blessing. You spend the first night encamped on the beach, and then you begin your trek early the following day.

Fine weather, wild game, and an abundance of freshwater streams make your trek far easier than expected. On the fourth day you happen upon an ancient track that climbs into the hills and joins a newer trail. Your tracking skills reveal human footprints but your excitement wanes when you determine that they are more than six months old. Steadily the trail climbs higher into the hills until you lose sight of the gulf waters. As darkness approaches it begins to rain. Within an hour it has become a torrential downpour that turns the trail into a fast-flowing stream. It becomes impossible to continue and so you search for somewhere dry to spend the night. Your tracking skills lead you to a cave, but when you enter you realize at once that you are not the only creature seeking shelter here tonight. You see the glint of amber eyes at the rear of the cave and you detect growling, loud enough to be heard above the noise of the pounding rain. Your instincts tell you that there are two creatures lurking here in the recesses of the cave, and that they are both hungry, scared, and potentially dangerous.

If you possess Animal Mastery, and wish to use it, turn to 346.

If you possess Kai-surge, and wish to use it, turn to 185.

If you possess Bardsmanship, and wish to use it, turn to 269.

If you possess none of these skills, or if you choose not to use any of them, turn to 86.

Aw we missed a chance to sing :P

Page 185: You summon a Mindblast and project it into the depths of the cave. The creatures lurking there are susceptible to your powerful psychic charge and it makes them howl in pain and frustration. In a state of blind panic, two wolf-like animals suddenly rush past you to disappear into the rain-swept jungle. Confident that they will not return, you settle yourself down upon a bed of soft mosses and drift off to sleep.

Turn to 220.

Page 220: You wake the following morning to find that the torrential rain has ceased. Lying in the mud at the mouth of the cave are several orange-shaped fruits which have been dislodged from the surrounding trees by the deluge. You soon discover they are edible and you enjoy some for breakfast before continuing your trek. (There are sufficient fruits for another 3 Meals.)

The heavy overnight rains have transformed the hill track into a muddy ditch which makes the going difficult. Yet it is still the quickest way through this jungle territory and you stay with the track until it comes to the bank of the swollen River Ocka. There was once a bridge at this point, but your tracking skills tell you that it has been washed away during the night. You are about to set off along the bank in search of somewhere to cross when suddenly you hear a desperate cry for help. You turn and see a man being swept downstream by the river. His head is barely above the surface and you can see at once that he is near to drowning.

If you possess Elementalism, and wish to use it, turn to 48.

If you do not possess this Grand Master Discipline, or if you choose not to use it, turn to 284.

Page 48: You direct your Kai powers at the river in an attempt to divert its current and send the drowning man towards the safety of the bank. However, the current proves too strong to be altered using your Discipline of Elementalism alone, and you are physically and mentally weakened by the exertion of your attempt: lose 3 ENDURANCE points.

Having discovered that you cannot help the drowning man using your Grand Mastery alone, you are forced to resort to more direct and conventional methods. As he goes under for the last time, you dive into the muddy water and swim across the surging current. Guided by your Sixth Sense, you locate his body and then pull him to the surface. You fight to maintain your grip as the powerful current sweeps you downstream, and you are propelled along for more than a mile before it finally deposits you on the opposite bank. As you drag the man from the water, you notice a group of huts in the distance. You are about to haul the unconscious man over your shoulder and set off towards them, when suddenly you detect that he has no pulse. Using your Magnakai Discipline of Curing you are able to restart his heart and empty the water from his lungs, yet you are unable to restore him to full consciousness. The sudden sound of voices makes you look towards the huts where you see a group of natives pointing excitedly in your direction. They are all wearing jerkins and loincloths made from animal hide, clothing that is identical to that worn by the man you have saved from the river. You call to them and wave your arms to attract their attention and they quickly respond. You are expecting them to be pleased that you have saved one of their kinfolk, but as they come closer you are shocked by their unexpected response.

Turn to 20.

Page 20: The natives are angry. They come running towards the river bank, screaming and slashing the air with their primitive weapons. Their leader shouts at you and, although his dialect is unfamiliar, you are able to understand enough to hear that the man you have saved from the river is a thief and a murderer. He escaped from the settlement last night during the rainstorm, and the leader is accusing you of being his accomplice and of helping him to escape. He says that the river gods have brought you back to their village to pay for your crimes. You attempt to protest your innocence but the leader refuses to listen. He confiscates all of your equipment, including your Kai Weapon, your Belt Pouch, your Backpack, and the satchel containing the Moonstone, and then he has his men march you away to their village where you are locked in a hut. Shouting through the closed door, he tells you that the village elders will meet tomorrow at noon to decide your fate.

A few hours later you overhear two guards outside the hut and you are shocked to learn that the man you saved from the river has since been executed. They say that the elders of the village decreed that he should be weighted with rocks and thrown back into the water. You have no wish to suffer a similar fate and so you quickly set about finding a way to escape from this hut.

If you possess Assimilance, and wish to use it, turn to 328.

If you possess Kai-alchemy, and wish to use it, turn to 151.

If you possess Magi-magic, and wish to use it, turn to 3.

If you possess none of these Disciplines, or if you choose not to use any of them, turn to 226.

Page 151: You utter the words of the Brotherhood Spell Lightning Hand and point at the wall of the hut, at a place directly opposite the guarded door. A tingle runs down your arm and a bolt of blue-white fire arcs from your outstretched hand to blow a ragged hole through the bamboo timbers. You run at this hole and charge the weakened wall with your shoulder. It splinters and splits open, enabling you to force yourself through the gap and escape.

Turn to 308.

Page 308: Night has fallen since you were first imprisoned in the hut and you are able to use the cover of darkness to avoid being seen. You are anxious to escape from this place but you are not prepared to leave without first retrieving the Moonstone, your Weapons, and your confiscated equipment.

You allow your Kai Sixth Sense to guide you to where your Kai Weapon is being stored. It is a large wooden shack at the centre of the settlement, and it is occupied by the village elders. Soon the news of your disappearance prompts the leader to order a search. You stay hidden until the shack is empty and the coast is clear, and then you enter it by means of an open window. Inside you discover all of your confiscated equipment, as well as several other items which could prove useful during your quest:

Bow
    6 Arrows
    Spear
    Rope
    3 Fish Hooks
    Bottle of Rice Wine
    Soap
    Short Sword
    Lantern
    Crystal Prism (Special Item)

Having restored your equipment, you leave the shack and make your way into the jungle. Your Kai skills enable you to avoid the villagers and make a swift escape westwards into the hills.

Turn to 137.

Page 137: Three miles from the village you discover a jungle trail. You keep to this trail and stay on the move all night, foregoing rest in order to distance yourself from the hostile natives. Shortly before dawn, you crest a wooded ridge and see the port of Masama in the distance. It lies astride a wide river that is dotted with many trading ships and fishing boats.

As you approach the port, your muddy and dishevelled appearance attracts jibes from the children of Masama. Stung by their rude remarks, you decide that you are in desperate need of a bath and so you go down to the river bank to wash away the worst of the grime. While you are here you notice that the two halves of the town are connected by a series of wooden bridges. The opposite side of the river is home to the business district. Here are wharves and warehouses and a quay that is filled to overflowing with trading ships and barges. The Seasprite was bound for this port, and although you cannot see her moored among the scores of ships at the quay, you decide to go there and check if Radyard and his crew are still in port.

You cross the river by bridge and enter a market square bordered by warehouses, taverns, and busy trade emporia that are crowded with foreign crews. As your keen eye wanders around this bustling scene, you try to decide where first to look for Radyard and his men.

If you wish enquire at Ljama's Emporium, turn to 180.

If you choose to enter the Great Masama Warehouse & Trading Post, turn to 97.

If you decide to try at the Freetrader's Tavern, turn to 30.

• Options
    To the Trading Post!, maybe we can trade our new crystal prism for a sweet newfangled pair of shoes!

• Options
    Hyku wrote:
    To the Trading Post!, maybe we can trade our new crystal prism for a sweet newfangled pair of shoes!
    Sure why not

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    They're sailors! Where would they be but the tavern?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I suspect the trading post is the most likely place to find Radyard.

• Options
    pslong9pslong9 Registered User regular
    Wub wrote:
    They're sailors! Where would they be but the tavern?

Especially after the trauma of dealing with Sesketera. I know I'd want to drink that experience away.

steam_sig.png

3DS FC: 0817-3759-2788
  • Options
    To the Tavern! Booze! BOOZE DAMMIT!!!
    OK, we did get a drink on that last ship, so we're not that thirsty...

BTW, I assume we did grab both that Crystal Prism and the rice wine from the village, right?

• Options
    Sorry about the delay all, had a variety of real world things pop up all at once.

Page 97: Inside you discover that the building is filled with vast quantities of raw and basic commodities such as metals, grain, cloth, timber, and leather. As you inspect these basic materials you come across several crates of linen that are branded with a crown and star, the mark of Siyen. Your Kai senses tell you that it could be part of Radyard's cargo.

The owner of the warehouse approaches and asks the nature of your business. He has an oily smile that you could find easy to dislike. You ask if he knows Captain Radyard and his slippery smile turns into a scowl:

‘I charge for information,’ he snaps. ‘Hand over 3 Nobles or be on your way.’

If you wish to pay the man 3 Nobles (1 Noble = 1 Gold Crown), turn to 315.

If you refuse to pay him, turn to 217.

Both choices meet up, so I'll just assume we pay.

Page 315: The owner pockets the coins and then he gives you a sly smile.

‘Radyard upped anchor and sailed two days ago. He's gone back north to Siyen. It looks like you got here too late, friend.’

Turn to 22.

Page 22: ‘Thanks … for nothing,’ you say, as you walk out of the warehouse and return to the square. As you are looking around and wondering where next to go, you suddenly notice that there is something happening at the end of a street that leads away from the quayside. You decide to investigate and you soon discover that the street leads to a large courtyard. Here the women of Masama are selling their wares, spread out upon gaily-decorated market stalls. Unlike at the warehouses and emporia at the quayside, the people who attend this market all appear to be natives of the city. As you pass by one stall you overhear two women talking about a place called Kitaezi. One of them is insisting that the whole city has been placed under a curse. You are about to turn back and ask her more about this city when suddenly you are approached by a tall woman who is swathed from head to toe in a fine blue robe. Anxiously she asks if you are a healer, and her piercing grey eyes continually dart to the satchel slung over your shoulder. It is as if she knows that you are carrying the Moonstone.

small5.png

Your Kai Sixth Sense tells you that she means you no harm. You sense that she is greatly troubled, and when you ask what is wrong, she says that her daughter, Harni, is gravely ill. She pleads with you to come and help her, and although you deny that you are a healer, you feel compelled to answer her desperate plea for help.

Turn to 119.

Page 119: The woman leads you through the shabby streets of Masama to her house on the boundary of the town's wealthy quarter. It is a two-storey dwelling, modest in comparison to others nearby yet richly appointed, with servants, a stable, and a fragrant orchard of guyan trees. You are ushered upstairs to where a young girl lies in a darkened room. She has a fever and a sickly grey pallor that makes her look more than twice her age. You recognise at once that she is suffering from Mysua. It is a disease that is spread by swamp flies and is not uncommon among the jungle-dwellers of Shadaki.

Using your Magnakai Curing skills, and aided by the presence of the Moonstone, you are able to neutralise the infection that has ravaged this young girl's body. Within a few hours her fever has disappeared and a healthy colour returns to her face. She shows every sign they she will make a complete recovery. Her mother is overjoyed and she thanks you repeatedly. She insists that you stay here as her guest and she provides you with your own room overlooking the river.

Over a delicious evening meal prepared by her servants, you learn that her name is Tiosanna. She is the widow of a wealthy trader who was killed at sea when his ship was attacked and plundered by buccaneers. When her only daughter recently fell ill with fever, she feared she was going to lose her as well. She rarely goes to the market, yet a strange compulsion made her go today. She cannot explain, but the moment she saw you she knew that it was within your power to save her daughter's life.

You retire early to bed and sleep soundly (you may restore 6 ENDURANCE points). When you rise at dawn, you are feeling fresh and eager to continue your journey to the Isle of Lorn. In appreciation for saving her daughter's life, Tiosanna gives you a horse. Gladly you accept her generous gift and you bid them both a fond farewell before you set off along ‘The Dragon's Tail’—the name given by the natives of this region to the overland route from Masama to the city of Kitaezi.

After consulting your map you estimate that it should take you no more than two days to reach Kitaezi. The weather has settled and the overland trail proves far smoother than its given name implies. By mid-afternoon you have covered more than 50 miles and you are pleased with your progress.

small7.png

You are passing through a range of forested hills and gullies when you come to an unexpected fork in the trail. A signpost says that both branches of this fork lead to Kitaezi, yet it does not give any indication which is the shorter or the safer route to take.

If you wish to take the left fork in the road, turn to 196.

If you decide to take the right fork, turn to 289.

Randomed.

Page 196: A little way past the fork, the trail passes around a rocky escarpment and ascends through dense jungle to a forested ridge. Beyond the ridge lies a deep gorge, spanned by a sturdy rope bridge. The floor of the bridge is laid with shorn timbers that are wide enough to allow a wagon to pass. You ride onto the bridge and you are halfway across when its timber floor begins to sway violently. Quickly you dismount and use your Kai Discipline of Animal Control to calm your startled horse. There seems to be no reason for the bridge to be pitching back and forth, but when you look over the side you catch sight of a rope that is attached to its underside. This line descends to a crevice in the wall of the gorge and it is being repeatedly pulled taut and then released. From out of the crevice there issues a commanding voice: ‘Throw your money and possessions into the gorge!’ When you hesitate to obey, the voice says: ‘Do it now, or you'll never get off the bridge alive!’

If you possess Kai-alchemy, and wish to use it, turn to 332.

If you possess Elementalism, and wish to use it, turn to 251.

If you possess Magi-magic, and wish to use it, turn to 34.

If you possess none of these skills, or if you choose not to use any of them, turn to 140.

Alchemy and elementalism lead to the same path. Randomed.

Page 251: You focus your powers at some loose rocks that overhang the crevice, and you see them shudder under the force of your will. Suddenly they collapse and come crashing down, severing the rope as they tumble past the crevice to disappear into the gorge below. As the floor of the bridge ceases to sway, you quickly remount your horse and coax him across to the far side. You can hear angry voices echoing from the gorge as you spur him to the gallop and escape along the jungle trail that continues beyond the bridge.

Turn to 205.

Page 205: You ride the trail for more than an hour before you come to a shallow ford across a fast-flowing stream. After resting here to let your horse drink his fill, you press on and enter a region of jungle highlands. Night draws in and you halt to make camp among a cluster of wind-worn boulders, close to the trail. The area is carpeted with thick grasses that make ideal fodder for your horse. After making sure that his reins are securely fixed to a rock, you settle yourself down to rest.

Unless you possess the Discipline of Grand Huntmastery, before you go to sleep you must eat a Meal or lose 3 ENDURANCE points.

To continue, turn to 177.

Page 177: You are awoken in the middle of the night by a hideous cry. Your horse is startled and terrified by this gruesome sound and he tugs frantically against his reins. Seconds later you are up on your feet, your keen eyes scouring your surroundings for some sign of the threat. Your Kai skills are alerting you to an imminent and deadly danger, a hidden enemy who possesses a strong magical aura.

You unsheathe your Kai Weapon and crouch behind a boulder. Suddenly the air before you shimmers and takes form, causing you to gasp in disbelief. Something is growing out of the very darkness itself! You glimpse its misshapen head and hunched body; then its outline seems to waver. It flickers and sparkles, as if it is caught between two planes of existence. Suddenly there is a brilliant flash and a sparkling arc of energy leaps from the shimmering mirage to come speeding towards your face.

If you possess the Discipline of Grand Nexus, turn to 41.

If you do not, turn to 90.

Page 90: The bolt hits you and a brilliant flash of white light obliterates your senses: lose 8 ENDURANCE points. For a few moments you lose consciousness; then your senses return and you struggle to your feet. Stunned and disoriented, you shake your head in an effort to clear your blurred vision. Images swirl before your eyes, weaving and coalescing to create a fearful sight. The flickering night-creature has fixed itself to the neck of your horse like some nightmarish vampire. Tethered by his reins, your mount is unable to escape from the leech-like maw of this supernatural creature.

If you possess Kai-alchemy, and wish to use it, turn to 19.

If you possess Magi-magic, and wish to use it, turn to 122.

If you possess Kai-surge, and wish to use it, turn to 169.

If you possess none of these skills, or if you choose not to use any of them, turn to 349.

The choice here does matter. We have 18 endurance counting our 10 turns of regen by my count.

• Options
    Go go Kai-alchemy.

• Options
    pslong9pslong9 Registered User regular
    Go go Kai-alchemy.

steam_sig.png

3DS FC: 0817-3759-2788
  • Options
    Go go Kai-alchemy.
    What the man in the mist said!

• Options
    Hey guys. Things have been suuuuuper hectic with a mini crisis at work and Thanksgiving, so I'm gonna put updates on hold until after the holiday. See you on Monday and happy Turkey Day!