As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Awards Season 2010: Oscars! Tonight! Kirk Douglas!

15678911»

• Options
    TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    TehSpectre wrote: »
    Hoz wrote: »
    TehSpectre wrote: »
    Winter's Bone is gonna upset everyone for Best Picture.

Just you wait.

It will in my heart.
    A very real movie.
    Seriously, the film screams "I am real. This is a thing."

It is scary as shit because it is frighteningly realistic.

*snip*

While I agree that it felt very realistic, and that the acting was top notch, I really didn't like Winter's Bone. In spite of its realism, I just didn't think it made for a particularly good film.
    Opinions and all that, of course.

TubularLuggage on
  • Options
    TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    dlinfiniti wrote: »
    And Stenfield wasn't robbed. In truth, her odds were increased by the fact she was put in the wrong category. Melissa Leo and Jackie Weaver were transformative in their performances. All three were as close to equally deserving as I can imagine.

I dont think i've harbored such intense negative thoughts towards a character while watching a movie than i had when i was watching melissa leo play the mother in the fighter. That kitchen scene with all the women almost made me walk away from the movie. She definitely deserved that award.
    While I would have liked to see Steinfeld win, I agree.
    At first, I didn't want Leo to win. Then I realized that it was because I disliked the character so much, and that it was largely because of how good of a performance she gave.
    Named movies that had won Best Picture and then named a superior list of films that had not.
    Well, not superior as much as equally good. I mean, the first list had The Godfather in it.

TubularLuggage on
  • Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I was right in my best Picture call. Nice I supose. Still hold that it was less a case of actually being the best picture(though a good one) and more a case of Harvey Weinsteen doing what he does best.

Kipling217 on
    The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Over 50% of my predictions were correct. That's pretty good I think. Next year I'mma try to check out the foreign films and the shorts, animated and otherwise. Also, more documentaries.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    The King's Speech is Ralph Bellamy in His Girl Friday.

Discuss.

chiasaur11 on
  • Options
    stevemarks44stevemarks44 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Won the pool at my friend's. Unfortunately it wasn't for cash, it was for a grab bag of pointless prizes (Malaysian condoms and a dollar store pregnancy test were the big ticket items).

Got 19 right. I missed doc short, animated and live action short. All three of those were guesses.

Also missed director, because I figured it'd be my upset in case I needed one (gave it to Fincher). Cinemtaography I gave to True Grit.

I think that's all I missed. It was a fairly predictable Oscars, if you ignored the pre-Emmy Social Network hype, the Academy pretty much voted all the way down the party line re: major categories.

stevemarks44 on
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Godfather wrote: »
    Sentry wrote: »
    Godfather wrote: »
    Buh, King's Speech won. Saw it coming a mile away.

Social Network should have taken it.

No it shouldn't have. Social Network was only as good as it was because of Aaron Sorkin, and he was honored for making it such.

Also, Haylee Stanfield was completely robbed.

Opinions!

Yes, but, you know it actually helps to have SEEN both films before you start making them.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Maybe the first Oscar ceremony in a long while where I don't have any negative response to any of the awards.

Now the nominations, mebbe, but the actual awards? Not bothered. Congrats to the winners.

Atomika on
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Big fan of the animated short win. That was the only really good one in the bunch.

Also, has there been any discussion as to how high James Franco was last night?

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    ShawnaseeShawnasee Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Anne Hathaway was great.

And yeah, either Franco was high or was trying too hard to be 'cool'.

My pick is on the former.

Shawnasee on
  • Options
    RocketSauceRocketSauce Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Franco was the only intentionally funny part of the show, high or not. Seems like that's just his personality. I admire few celebtrities, but am genuinely impressed that Franco is trying to get his masters at the same time he has a successful film career. I get the impression he's a sharp guy, and has some genuine ambition besides racking up money.

RocketSauce on
  • Options
    OpiumOpium regular
    edited February 2011
    I admire few celebtrities, but am genuinely impressed that Franco is trying to get his masters at the same time he has a successful film career.

PhD actually.

Dr. Franco does have a nice ring to it.

Opium on
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Opium wrote: »
    I admire few celebtrities, but am genuinely impressed that Franco is trying to get his masters at the same time he has a successful film career.

PhD actually.

Dr. Franco does have a evil ring to it.

Fixed. I mean, seriously.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Now that I finally saw the entire show, I can see why people were calling it a pretty crappy year. If they wanted youth-friendly and edgy, they should've brought Stewart back. Honestly, one of my favorite parts of the ceremony were the little moments of progress. Like the sound mixing award winner who kissed her wife on the way to the podium.

EmperorSeth on
    You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
    Bliss 101Bliss 101 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I thought Franco sucked and should be thrown back into the crevice, whereas Hathaway was fantastic and they should have let her host the show by herself. I loved her "young and hip Oscars" quip after Kirk Douglas. I thought she found it a bit too funny herself.

11 of the Oscars went where I wanted them to go, which is my all time record, so I'm happy with this year.

Bliss 101 on
    MSL59.jpg
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    She started overselling things by the end of the show, but that's a combination of James Franco sucking and Bruce Vilanch being a comedy black hole.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    Pipe DreamerPipe Dreamer Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I still cannot get over the fact that, after all that setup with the "On My Own" thing, they didn't have Hugh Jackman join Anne Hathaway onstage for an epic song-and-dance number.

Pipe Dreamer on
  • Options
    ThisThis Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I don't really think the girl from True Grit deserved a nomination. Yeah, she was good for a kid but I don't think she was really doing anything noteworthy beyond that. I think True Grit was overrated in general, and the Coens' directing nomination should have gone to Nolan.

This on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    She started overselling things by the end of the show, but that's a combination of James Franco sucking and Bruce Vilanch being a comedy black hole.

He was asleep at the wheel

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I still cannot get over the fact that, after all that setup with the "On My Own" thing, they didn't have Hugh Jackman join Anne Hathaway onstage for an epic song-and-dance number.

Or the Trifecta set-up which is then immediately brought to an end by the first award.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    This wrote: »
    I don't really think the girl from True Grit deserved a nomination. Yeah, she was good for a kid but I don't think she was really doing anything noteworthy beyond that. I think True Grit was overrated in general, and the Coens' directing nomination should have gone to Nolan.

You shut your face.
    Opinions, I suppose. Though I agree that the Coens didn't really wow me with that film.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Jennifer Lawrence was smoking on the red carpet.

I mean wow, why did I not notice her at all until now?

Godfather on
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    A 20 year old actress is good looking? Shocking!

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    Bliss 101Bliss 101 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I thought some jewelry would have improved her look.

Bliss 101 on
    MSL59.jpg