Options

MINECRAFT - Build to the sky, Dig to the depths. Join the masses.

• Options
    BarrabasBarrabas Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I've been checking this game out and the things people do are incredible.

Following the obsidian talk. What do you make with obsidian that's worth all this time?

For MP:

Anything where people go, "holy crap he made that with obsidian, it must have taken forever"

example: a giant whale statue

Option two anything you don't want griefers to demolish as I suspect it isn't worth the effort.

For SP:

Anything that gives you a sense of pride for doing something more difficult than it needs to be.

For SP and MP:

Anything you really, really, want made of black stone.

Barrabas on
    XBL - ErrorMacro1
  • Options
    iamthepiemaniamthepieman Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I would love to help out with a travel system. I have yet to get the IP for the server though. I will play during lunch time at work sometimes but Steam is blocked so I can't check the group.

iamthepieman on
  • Options
    BarrabasBarrabas Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Enclave wrote: »
    Couscous wrote: »
    Could it be a waterway, possibly slightly above ground like an aqueduct?

Well, I was planning on getting to work on an intercontinental waterway travel system once I finally manage to actually get on the server (real life and all is so inconvenient).

I'd love to get some dialogue going with a few others to plan something out as it's a daunting task for just 1 man.

Regarding the fields below Columbia. I was thinking that we could build the water-way underground there.

I don't think there's really a point in building it underground there. If the goal isn't to get you to Columbia you might as well just stop at a nice look out point over the valley at the cliff's edge.

Barrabas on
    XBL - ErrorMacro1
  • Options
    NoisymunkNoisymunk Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Couscous wrote: »
    Could it be a waterway, possibly slightly above ground like an aqueduct?

Well, I was planning on getting to work on an intercontinental waterway travel system once I finally manage to actually get on the server (real life and all is so inconvenient).

I'd love to get some dialogue going with a few others to plan something out as it's a daunting task for just 1 man.

Regarding the fields below Columbia. I was thinking that we could build the water-way underground there.

Not that necessary. What we really need is a series of marker buoys that let you know where you're heading.

I spent the better part of an hour yesterday just boating around looking at the scenery, I'd rather have people do that than have all these canals everywhere.

The rail system will have bridges over the water.

Noisymunk on
    brDe918.jpg
  • Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    To whomever built the big staircase down to bedrock in the Lava area. I apologize ahead of time because I really made that place my bitch thismorning stripmining it.

MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    And, we tried running that wicked water slide map one day, and let me tell you. Trying to steer a boat straight through an endless 5 block wide, cobble-lined water way is not much fun at all, and if your boat hits the side and explodes you are extra super duper double fucked.

Noisymunk on
    brDe918.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I can't figure out how to move or create a water spring on Ein's server. I wanted to make a new waterfall for a cliffside area but when I put water in a basin or hole it just sets there for a second and dissapears.

MagicPrime on
  • Options
    CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    MagicPrime wrote: »
    I can't figure out how to move or create a water spring on Ein's server. I wanted to make a new waterfall for a cliffside area but when I put water in a basin or hole it just sets there for a second and dissapears.

Buckets still don't work right in MP. Ice blocks work, as do hacked in spring tiles in your inventory.

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Options
    belligerentbelligerent Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    buckets don't work in MP right now, I think.

beat'd like I stole something.

belligerent on
  • Options
    MolybdenumMolybdenum Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    You will need to ask a mod or admin on Ein's to get flowing water.

Molybdenum on
    Steam: Cilantr0
    3DS: 0447-9966-6178
  • Options
    HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Ask for a few blocks of ice. Place them carefully and destroy them with a shovel for water fun!

HallowedFaith on
    I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • Options
    EnclaveEnclave Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Noisymunk wrote: »
    And, we tried running that wicked water slide map one day, and let me tell you. Trying to steer a boat straight through an endless 5 block wide, cobble-lined water way is not much fun at all, and if your boat hits the side and explodes you are extra super duper double fucked.

If you make it only 1 block wide then you shouldn't risk exploding your boat.

Also, if it's made out of glass it shouldn't be all that much of an obstruction.

See, we need some sort of fast travel system. It takes too long to travel the distances needed to visit all the locals without warping.

The real question is if we make it out of tracks or a water way. A water way we could get going right now. Tracks need to wait. Also a water way would be MUCH faster to build as it doesn't require copious amounts of iron.

Enclave on
  • Options
    mrflippymrflippy Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Is it worth using lava buckets to fuel furnaces? It seems nice on the surface, until I factor in that I lose the bucket. Of course, I have to go looking for coal or iron in either case, even though I have all of this lava just sitting here right next to me.

mrflippy on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    mrflippy wrote: »
    Is it worth using lava buckets to fuel furnaces? It seems nice on the surface, until I factor in that I lose the bucket. Of course, I have to go looking for coal or iron in either case, even though I have all of this lava just sitting here right next to me.

Probably not because it's not a multiple of 64 - it makes 100 units, so you have to go watch it and put a new pile of stuff in after the first 64.

Meanwhile you can just use 8 coal for 64, set it and forget it.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010

Also, if it's made out of glass it shouldn't be all that much of an obstruction.

See, we need some sort of fast travel system. It takes too long to travel the distances needed to visit all the locals without warping.

The real question is if we make it out of tracks or a water way. A water way we could get going right now. Tracks need to wait. Also a water way would be MUCH faster to build as it doesn't require copious amounts of iron.

Actually it still possible to explode your boat in a 1 block wide channel. The faster you're going, the less of an angle you need to hit something for it to "catch" the boat. I've glanced off of walls going very fast, and it was enough to catch the boat and send me swimming.

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Options
    AkimboEGAkimboEG Mr. Fancypants Wears very fine pants indeedRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010

I actually think we should start working on a King's Road for walking, maybe add aqueducts for boats running alongside it, and once minecarts work flawlessly, add in a railway system either alongside the road, above it, or under it as a subway.

Keep in mind that eventually there'll also be rideable mounts, which should make travel faster, even without minecarts and/or boats.

AkimboEG on
    Give me a kiss to build a dream on; And my imagination will thrive upon that kiss; Sweetheart, I ask no more than this; A kiss to build a dream on
  • Options
    SolinusSolinus Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Who makes plans in their sleep, or as they lay down for the night?

I was planning the other night for expanding a natural cavern so that I can make an underground keep surrounded by lava, then I went on to plan how to make the two mob spawners in the cavern into water traps with glass tubes two blocks tall that lead into my keep.

Solinus on
  • Options
    FreerangeFreerange Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    vernes wrote: »
    Today I saw a couple of densly packed trees by the side of the road and their foliage-density made me think of minecraft.
    While I drove under a bridge, I noticed a pile of stones that was washed down from the slope and was wondering who grieved it and how easy it must be to fix it.

Mincecraft is making me aware of my surroundings.

I am in a room with a small window. While doing work, I subconsciously glanced briefly out the window to see if it was day so i could go outside my room. I'll really be worried if I start looking around for creepers when I do walk around.

Freerange on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    AkimboEG wrote: »

I actually think we should start working on a King's Road for walking, maybe add aqueducts for boats running alongside it, and once minecarts work flawlessly, add in a railway system either alongside the road, above it, or under it as a subway.

Keep in mind that eventually there'll also be rideable mounts, which should make travel faster, even without minecarts and/or boats.

See, I do like this idea. It'd give people a number of options. If you want to risk the aquaway, you can, want to travel on the road? No problem.

I do suggest building all of it out of materials that do not occur naturally, so basically make it out of things like planks of wood, glass and cotton. This way if somebody ends up digging up under it they'll at least know that they're about to run into a structure that somebody has actually gone to the trouble of building, so they should avoid it.

I wouldn't suggest cobblestone though since people often use that while spelunking and thus isn't very identifiable as a structure that you shouldn't break down.

Enclave on
  • Options
    SipexSipex Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Half stone blocks, wood just screams "Who wants to watch the world's longest fire chain?!"

Sipex on
  • Options
    jackaljackal Fuck Yes. That is an orderly anal warehouse. Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Sipex wrote: »
    Half stone blocks, wood just screams "Who wants to watch the worlds longest fire chain?!"

I do.

jackal on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Ah, of course. I ALWAYS forget about those half-stone blocks because I don't like how their placement works, however their placement works fine when it's on the ground.

Anyways, yes, those should be ideal.

Enclave on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    CarbonFire wrote: »
    MagicPrime wrote: »

Buckets still don't work right in MP. Ice blocks work, as do hacked in spring tiles in your inventory.

Can I get Ice from the snow continent?

MagicPrime on
  • Options
    AkimboEGAkimboEG Mr. Fancypants Wears very fine pants indeedRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Half stone blocks, wood just screams "Who wants to watch the worlds longest fire chain?!"

I feel like half-stone blocks are overused, but the bright color and clear texture would do good for the kind of wide road I have in mind. I'd start it myself, were I home, but I can't get the game to connect properly to Ein's from where I currently am, and will be until the weekend.

AkimboEG on
    Give me a kiss to build a dream on; And my imagination will thrive upon that kiss; Sweetheart, I ask no more than this; A kiss to build a dream on
  • Options
    belligerentbelligerent Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    God I love this game. Just thinking of my options for tonight makes the day go faster.

belligerent on
  • Options
    citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    As a side note - I was in a grocery store last night and while I was checking out, one of the young employees was enthusiastically telling another employee about this awesome game he's been playing named Minecraft.

It made me very happy to hear a teenager talking about a game that isn't Madden, Halo, or Call of Duty.

As a grumpy old gamer I've been very down on teenagers since I heard one, years ago, scoff at UT2004 as an "obvious Halo rip-off". This redeemed the demographic in my eyes, slightly. For now.

citizen059 on
  • Options
    DekuStickDekuStick Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

Probably not because it's not a multiple of 64 - it makes 100 units, so you have to go watch it and put a new pile of stuff in after the first 64.

Coal isn't a renewable resource however. So you're probably better off using wood.

DekuStick on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    We've got the same thing around the office, all the young guys (proud halo addicts) have been talking about this game.

Sipex on
  • Options
    GPIA7RGPIA7R Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    DekuStick wrote: »

Coal isn't a renewable resource however. So you're probably better off using wood.

Or type /iron or /wood. Works in MP, may work in single.

I love the /wood error if you do it too fast..

"Cannot /wood after such a short time!" or something.

GPIA7R on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Note: What happens when Ember island runs out of resources? Do we get permission to mine the other continents or do we have to get permission to leave the barrier for mining expeditions?

The thought of that is amazing even though it's simple.

Sipex on
  • Options
    ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Wait, you can use lava or wood in furnaces? How does this work? I'm at work right now, can't experiment.

Imperfect on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    AkimboEG wrote: »

I feel like half-stone blocks are overused, but the bright color and clear texture would do good for the kind of wide road I have in mind. I'd start it myself, were I home, but I can't get the game to connect properly to Ein's from where I currently am, and will be until the weekend.

If you like we could collaborate on the system.

I really want to leave my mark on this server in a significant way, this transit system is definitely "it" I think.

I plan on logging in once I get off work today.

We could start planning in PM's, that way we won't disrupt this thread too much.

Enclave on
  • Options
    mrflippymrflippy Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Imperfect wrote: »
    Wait, you can use lava or wood in furnaces? How does this work? I'm at work right now, can't experiment.

Instead of putting coal in the furnace, you put wood or a bucket of lava in.

mrflippy on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I'll bucket your mom's lava.

MagicPrime on
  • Options
    PaulTheAfraidPaulTheAfraid Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    New possible layout
    world2n.jpg

Right now, the plan is for this to be an aquaduct/waterway until minecarts are fixed, after which we will drain everything and start laying tracks. These will be 5 blocks wide and 3 blocks above the surrounding terrain except in special cases where we want to maybe circle around an awesome tower (cock statue) or go underground (Columbia's farmland). Due to ready availability and MASSIVE quantities needed, cobblestone and half-steps will be used for construction. There's a pretty large prototype located a few blocks east of the spawning point that should give you a good idea of what a typical stretch of highway will look like.

This definitely isn't a one-man job. Even the cobblestone collection isn't a one-man job. The whole thing's going to be a huge effort, but the end result will be awesome.

(Fuck. Just realized there should be a path to Rapture from the south. Oh well, you get the idea.)

PaulTheAfraid on
  • Options
    4rch3nemy4rch3nemy Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Wrong thread to ask this in: Is this game worth the buy?

I feel like there is lots to do at first but once you've discovered a strategy, it's easy to "win" and feel untouchable (survival mode).

I haven't tried it yet but that's the feeling I'm getting from watching some videos.

YAY/NAY?

Reading back a few pages, I feel that I may have gotten the wrong impression of this game. It seems like a very community-centric lego game which sounds pretty awesome. What else does one do?

4rch3nemy on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Note: What happens when Ember island runs out of resources? Do we get permission to mine the other continents or do we have to get permission to leave the barrier for mining expeditions?

The thought of that is amazing even though it's simple.

You can mine anywhere you want, just not outside the 6 block chasm.

Noisymunk on
    brDe918.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    4rch3nemy wrote: »
    Wrong thread to ask this in: Is this game worth the buy?

I feel like there is lots to do at first but once you've discovered a strategy, it's easy to "win" and feel untouchable (survival mode).

I haven't tried it yet but that's the feeling I'm getting from watching some videos.

YAY/NAY?

Reading back a few pages, I feel that I may have gotten the wrong impression of this game. It seems like a very community-centric lego game which sounds pretty awesome. What else does one do?

It's more of an investment than a purchase -- you're buying the game that is coming out at an undetermined time in the future. This "pre-order" allows you to consistently play the Alpha and Beta versions as they approach release. We are currently in Alpha.

MagicPrime on
  • Options
    burnbombburnbomb Vancouver, BCRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    New possible layout
    world2n.jpg

Right now, the plan is for this to be an aquaduct/waterway until minecarts are fixed, after which we will drain everything and start laying tracks. These will be 5 blocks wide and 3 blocks above the surrounding terrain except in special cases where we want to maybe circle around an awesome tower (cock statue) or go underground (Columbia's farmland). Due to ready availability and MASSIVE quantities needed, cobblestone and half-steps will be used for construction. There's a pretty large prototype located a few blocks east of the spawning point that should give you a good idea of what a typical stretch of highway will look like.

This definitely isn't a one-man job. Even the cobblestone collection isn't a one-man job. The whole thing's going to be a huge effort, but the end result will be awesome.

(Fuck. Just realized there should be a path to Rapture from the south. Oh well, you get the idea.)

I could certainly help with that, when I'm on next.

burnbomb on
  • Options
    iamthepiemaniamthepieman Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    New possible layout
    world2n.jpg

If it's going to be an aquaduct then obviously it has to be straight since steering around at high speeds is just asking to get stranded. However any roads or cart tracks should follow the terrain and not just be grids.

iamthepieman on
This discussion has been closed.