Options

MINECRAFT - Build to the sky, Dig to the depths. Join the masses.

• Options
    iamthepiemaniamthepieman Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I doubt it's actually hard. I just don't think the amount of effort to learn DF is worth it for something I may or may not end up actually enjoying.

I picked up minecraft and immediately knew what to do. right click, left click. Oh hold down the button and I can dig. Hmmm, I wonder if I can dig a canal over to that water. Oh look, the water has current and carries me downstream.

Whereas for DF it was more like. Hmm, here's an x and an @ symbol and a % and a ^ and a (). Let me look that up on the wiki. Ok, so this symbol means that. Now what are these things moving around? Let me look that up. Ok so now I want to dig a tunnel to take shelter in i guess. Oh wait I didn't include a miner or a pick axe in my party generation. Ok let's start over. Ok I've got a tunnel now, oops my dwarves are starving cause I didn't bring enough food. Ok, let's start over.

And then I got bored and read a book.

iamthepieman on
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I just want to point and click. Is that really so hard?

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Couscous wrote: »
    As long as you make sure to read the Wiki, it isn't very hard.

People give games shit all the time for things "you'd never figure out without a strategy guide". Yeah, Minecraft has some things that would be greatly clarified by a working tutorial and tooltips, but the learning curve lasts for five minutes and then you're only limited by your creativity and creeper-attractiveness.

Delzhand on
  • Options
    kdrudykdrudy Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Delzhand wrote: »
    As long as you make sure to read the Wiki, it isn't very hard.

People give games shit all the time for things "you'd never figure out without a strategy guide". Yeah, Minecraft has some things that would be greatly clarified by a working tutorial and tooltips, but the learning curve lasts for five minutes and then you're only limited by your creativity and creeper-attractiveness.

And don't forget that the biggest thing you need the wiki for, crafting, is something that Notch has flat out said he wants to put into the tutorial when he gets that in place.

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
  • Options
    GPIA7RGPIA7R Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    TrippyJing wrote: »

It just defines what kind of generation you come from. I'm into typing out what I want, a la Zork and other Interactive Fiction games. I like giving commands and using the 101-keys presented to me. There's something genuine about moving around and manipulated nearly 100 dwarves and assuring that they all live.

Minecraft is huge because it's so damn simple. It has a great appeal because of this, but also has the potential to be so much more. I don't know where he's taking it, but I'd love to see it evolve to include other civilizations and towns with NPC's and whatnot.

GPIA7R on
  • Options
    EinEin CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'm not going to lie, when I first saw Minecraft I thought it was Dwarf Fortress finally going into the realm of 3d. I was super excited, because I played the shit out of DF, but it was so - as one poster perfectly said - arcane.

I would empty my wallet out, and go mug as many old ladies as it takes, if it'd mean that Minecraft and Dwarf Fortress converge on some perfect point of complexity and interface.

Ein on
  • Options
    MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    my biggest hitch in this game was fruitlessly trying to make torches out of flint for five minutes

MrDelish on
  • Options
    iamthepiemaniamthepieman Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'm from the Zork generation which is precisely why I need quick to learn games. I've got a job and family and if I think it's going to take a couple hours to get over the learning curve for a game, well, a couple hours is probably two days of gaming time for me.

E: not bashing DF. Just saying it's not for me for the exact reason the Minecraft is. MC is accessible, limited by only your imagination (and the height of the world) and random encounters, however calamitous are not irreversible.

iamthepieman on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    GPIA7R wrote: »

It just defines what kind of generation you come from. I'm into typing out what I want, a la Zork and other Interactive Fiction games. I like giving commands and using the 101-keys presented to me. There's something genuine about moving around and manipulated nearly 100 dwarves and assuring that they all live.

Minecraft is huge because it's so damn simple. It has a great appeal because of this, but also has the potential to be so much more. I don't know where he's taking it, but I'd love to see it evolve to include other civilizations and towns with NPC's and whatnot.

There's also something genuine about tabbing over to Dwarf Therapist and clicking on the jobs you want them to do, quickly and efficiently.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    The wiki for Dwarf Fortress is pretty much just a manual.

Couscous on
  • Options
    belligerentbelligerent Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Since this is the inevitable discussion, I'll chime in.

Dwarf Fortress seems awesome, in theory. But (and my first games were on a Lisa) the interface is too much for me. I could sit and watch someone play Minecraft. That's fun. I can read the stories of DF games, that's fun, too.

But is it wierd that one of the best stories for DF is that story that someone made and created art for? Is it wierd that I thought that's what the game looked like at first?

belligerent on
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I love Dwarf Fortress.

I love Minecraft.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    LlyLly Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Falx wrote: »
    DF has a donations page and I believe he's still ahead in the "money made" race.

Anyway, whatever you work out that Notch has made, subtract half of it as he lives in Sweden which has 50% income tax.

Tax on earnings for a company in sweden are way lower though, so as long as he got the company set up quickly the tax is only something in the 20s.

Lly on
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

There's also something genuine about tabbing over to Dwarf Therapist and clicking on the jobs you want them to do, quickly and efficiently.

I've played text-adventures. DF is nothing like that. At least with Interactive Fiction I can read what's going on in plain english, as opposed to DF which reminds me of the Tycoon and Sim games on crack. I like typing out what I want too...but only when I know that picking up a key is done with "pick up key" and not some arcane combination of function and letter keys.

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    vernesvernes Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Today I saw a couple of densly packed trees by the side of the road and their foliage-density made me think of minecraft.
    While I drove under a bridge, I noticed a pile of stones that was washed down from the slope and was wondering who grieved it and how easy it must be to fix it.

Mincecraft is making me aware of my surroundings.

vernes on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Who makes plans in their sleep, or as they lay down for the night?

belligerent on
  • Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

Dwarf Fortress seems awesome, in theory. But (and my first games were on a Lisa) the interface is too much for me. I could sit and watch someone play Minecraft. That's fun. I can read the stories of DF games, that's fun, too.

But is it wierd that one of the best stories for DF is that story that someone made and created art for? Is it wierd that I thought that's what the game looked like at first?

Which story is that? My favorites have always been Boatmurdered and The Fable of Catten and the Eagle but I don't think either of those has any custom art.

CptHamilton on
    PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I love Dwarf Fortress.

I love Minecraft.

Yeah, they are both awesome games. I wish I had made clear in my earlier post how much I love DF. I think I came off sounding more critical of the game than I actually feel. Personally I love ASCII graphics, deep mechanics and while I find the interface obtuse, it's definitely manageable for me.

Drake on
  • Options
    PaulTheAfraidPaulTheAfraid Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I think this is a good, basic layout for an intercontinental transportation system. It's kind of rough, but it should work for the major roads to and from everywhere.
    worldo.jpg

I'm not quite sure where to connect this to Rapture or how to get under Columbia without messing up the farmland. These are minor details that can be ironed out later though. Also, Noisymunk has convinced me that an underground system is definitely not the way to go.

Thoughts?

PaulTheAfraid on
  • Options
    NerdtendoNerdtendo Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    worldo.jpg

wut

How much land is that? That's damned impressive.

Nerdtendo on
    IHZR47b.png
  • Options
    BarrabasBarrabas Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    For Columbia you probably want to work something out with .... uhhh .... whoever is the main person doing the farms (sorry blanking out on this). I'm sure you two could design a route for tressels through the farmland.

Barrabas on
    XBL - ErrorMacro1
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Could it be a waterway, possibly slightly above ground like an aqueduct?

Couscous on
  • Options
    NerdtendoNerdtendo Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I see lots of talk about wanting Minecraft with DF's complexity. How about twisting that slightly.. I'd love to have Minecraft with commandable units. Could give a solid purpose to all that gold that you mine up as well. Turn it into coins, use the coins to pay for workers. Course, you'd need either a very specific command system, borderline scripting... Or really fantastic AI.

Nerdtendo on
    IHZR47b.png
  • Options
    PaulTheAfraidPaulTheAfraid Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Could it be a waterway, possibly slightly above ground like an aqueduct?

This is what I'm leaning toward. Plus, it could always be drained and used as a railway system once minecarts are fixed.

PaulTheAfraid on
  • Options
    edited September 2010

Which story is that? My favorites have always been Boatmurdered and The Fable of Catten and the Eagle but I don't think either of those has any custom art.

Bronzemurder

belligerent on
  • Options
    NoisymunkNoisymunk Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    You can do better!

Think more like this:
    5036134913_9f02b14731_o.png

Put Grand Central Station at /Home, because that's where people spawn in. Then think of it like spokes on a wheel, which a track to the coast at each biome. Then you connect each of those stations. That way, you can go to home, choose a different train and be on your way, or you can go from land to land.

Then, once that framework is in, each island nation can build it's own railway connected to the main station.

I think building it about 5 blocks high is high enough to give a great view of the scenery, and low enough that it's not obnoxiously blocking scenery.

A combination of above/below ground would be nice, too. Tunneling through mountains and what not.

The track to Ember would definitely have to dive below the sea and deep into the ground :-p.

Noisymunk on
    brDe918.jpg
  • Options
    NoisymunkNoisymunk Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Also, I'm not sure about connecting it to Columbia. The /spawn location at the airship is so dramatic.

And, Tim's fields are kind of off-limits for shenanigans, so I don't know that he'd want a major transportation hub down there.

Noisymunk on
    brDe918.jpg
  • Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

Boatmurdered does, and it's the best DF story in the history of ever.

Matev on
    "Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    BuhamutZeoBuhamutZeo Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Noisymunk wrote: »
    You can do better!

Think more like this:

Pretty sure you can't make DIAGONAL TRACKS ( read: ANYTHING) in Minecraft. Laterally, anyway. It all has to go exactly north, south, east, or west.

BuhamutZeo on
    MyBanner.jpg
    BRAWL: 1160-9686-9416
  • Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    BuhamutZeo wrote: »
    You can do better!

Think more like this:

Pretty sure you can't make DIAGONAL TRACKS ( read: ANYTHING) in Minecraft. Laterally, anyway. It all has to go exactly north, south, east, or west.

You can do a diagonal waterway but it will have to be at least 3 blocks wide to allow people to go in a straight line along it on a boat. Wouldn't be compatible with minecarts in the future, though.

CptHamilton on
    PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    You can do better!

Think more like this:

And I guess zig zagging it is just too ugly or something?

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    You can do better!

Think more like this:

Zig zagging actually counts as diagonal for minecart tracks. Looks funky, but when actually riding on it the cart will travel diagonally.

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Options
    BuhamutZeoBuhamutZeo Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    CarbonFire wrote: »
    You can do better!

Think more like this:

Zig zagging actually counts as diagonal for minecart tracks. Looks funky, but when actually riding on it the cart will travel diagonally.

Try to imagine traveling a mile or two along that.
    Yeah.

BuhamutZeo on
    MyBanner.jpg
    BRAWL: 1160-9686-9416
  • Options
    UbuRoiAAUbuRoiAA Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    In the freebuild island, can I really dig where I want and cut down trees? Because I started doing that yesterday and felt bad for leaving leaves hanging in the air and building what is probably the worst half-build shelter ever.

Also, is there a bug with night and day?

UbuRoiAA on
  • Options
    SipexSipex Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    You can do better!

Think more like this:

Good to know.

Question guys. I started off in a snowy place, if I travel far enough will it stop snowing or do I need to restart? I'd like a change in scenery but I also like my diamond tools and my house.

Sipex on
  • Options
    CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    You can do better!

Think more like this:

Try to imagine traveling a mile or two along that.
    Yeah.

You don't actually zig zag though - you move in a smooth diagonal the same way you move on a straight line. It just LOOKS funky on the ground. Functionally, it is diagonal.

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Options
    Tiger BurningTiger Burning Dig if you will, the pictureRegistered User, SolidSaints Tube regular
    edited September 2010
    Sipex wrote: »
    Question guys. I started off in a snowy place, if I travel far enough will it stop snowing or do I need to restart? I'd like a change in scenery but I also like my diamond tools and my house.

Restart. Snow is an all or nothing proposition.

Tiger Burning on
    Ain't no particular sign I'm more compatible with
  • Options
    GPIA7RGPIA7R Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

I've played text-adventures. DF is nothing like that. At least with Interactive Fiction I can read what's going on in plain english, as opposed to DF which reminds me of the Tycoon and Sim games on crack. I like typing out what I want too...but only when I know that picking up a key is done with "pick up key" and not some arcane combination of function and letter keys.

Well, yeah... I'm not saying DF is an IF game, but it's certainly not a simple point-and-click.

Hotkeys have been around for ages. The word "arcane" is getting tossed around way too much, and it's simply not the case. I know that THIS key goes to THIS menu, and then THIS key will make THIS happen in my designated area.

If you have put in the effort to play DF on a level of comfort, it's not as complex as newcomers view it.

GPIA7R on
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010

If it's snowing, it's snowing. I heard about Notch wanting to include biomes where you can have different types of weather in different areas though.

I thought it was super pretty when I got a snow world, except all the water being ice was lame.

Dr_Keenbean on
    PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    gjaustingjaustin Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

The snow is unfortunately permanent.

Hopefully he'll get biomes in this week's update though.

Edit: Beaten bad

I'm really looking forward to biomes and holding off on doing anything major until I can start a new world with them.

gjaustin on
This discussion has been closed.