As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Final Fantasy 14: Where crafting is half the battle! [FFXIV crafting]

• Options
    Greg USNGreg USN Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Logged in this morning and the markets are changed. I put my retainer in the jeweler ward. Let's hope people use it now.

Greg USN on
    FFXIV Petra Ironheart
    Infinity Mog 21 and over Free Company Sargatanas Server. Recruitment currently closed.
    m1LuFkU.jpg
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    This get posted yet?

http://kotaku.com/5664878/final-fantasy-xiv-free-trial-period-extended-big-changes-on-the-way

So yeah, seems assuring to know that Square isn't going to take the criticism lying down. I really do hope by the time the PS3 version hits, that can be considered the "2.0 Launch".

But again, I'm curious: has an MMO ever patched areas to be smaller than originally conceived?

Because as that GT review painfully demonstrated, FFXIV's outdoor areas are stupidly large.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    This get posted yet?

http://kotaku.com/5664878/final-fantasy-xiv-free-trial-period-extended-big-changes-on-the-way

So yeah, seems assuring to know that Square isn't going to take the criticism lying down. I really do hope by the time the PS3 version hits, that can be considered the "2.0 Launch".

But again, I'm curious: has an MMO ever patched areas to be smaller than originally conceived?

Because as that GT review painfully demonstrated, FFXIV's outdoor areas are stupidly large.

You mentioned that already Snuggles, (and no one responded last time either) and this isn't the right thread. this is the crafting thread. But to answer your question, no They don't "Downsize" outdoor areas that's ridiculous. If anything they will simply fill them up with stuff.

Delphinidaes on
    NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Whoops, didn't know there were two separate threads.

That's either a sign that the game is popular around these parts, or that the crafting system really is borked to the point that it needs its own discussion. D:

• Options
    ostermeiostermei Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

That's either a sign that the game is popular around these parts, or that the crafting system really is borked to the point that it needs its own discussion. D:

Or that it's intricate, fun, and complex enough to warrant its own discussion. But given your obvious bias against the game, I suppose it would be irrational to expect you to consider a positive side of anything to do with it...

ostermei on
    6242_17704d0e4866044e.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010

or to filter crafting discussions out of the main thread to make conversations easier to follow.

Greg USN on
    FFXIV Petra Ironheart
    Infinity Mog 21 and over Free Company Sargatanas Server. Recruitment currently closed.
    m1LuFkU.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2010

Wow....really? This post just boggles my mind.

Delphinidaes on
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    ostermei wrote: »

Or that it's intricate, fun, and complex enough to warrant its own discussion. But given your obvious bias against the game, I suppose it would be irrational to expect you to consider a positive side of anything to do with it...

Yeah, no. I don't have a bias, I'm only basing things on what I heard, and what I heard has not been good. Crafting's been one of the biggest complaints, so that's not an opinion. I don't own the game, but the lack of a recipe database does sound cumbersome anyway you slice it.

I really want the game to improve, because I want to play it...but not unless I'm certain I'll enjoy it.

• Options
    edited October 2010

Yeah, no. I don't have a bias, I'm only basing things on what I heard, and what I heard has not been good. Crafting's been one of the biggest complaints, so that's not an opinion. I don't own the game, but the lack of a recipe database does sound cumbersome anyway you slice it.

I really want the game to improve, because I want to play it...but not unless I'm certain I'll enjoy it.

Do not play it. The crafting is very well done. Most of the reviews about the crafting are BS, but you have been "on the fence" since alpha. If you haven't decided to try it yet, or are so influenced by what the reviews and other people think. Then don't try it.

If you do you are going to go into it with the wrong mindset anyways, you are going to go into it with all the thoughts of all the things that other people don't like about the game and you will most likely not enjoy it.

Save yourself the time and move on.

Delphinidaes on
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010

Do not play it. The crafting is very well done. Most of the reviews about the crafting are BS, but you have been "on the fence" since alpha. If you haven't decided to try it yet, or are so influenced by what the reviews and other people think. Then don't try it.

If you do you are going to go into it with the wrong mindset anyways, you are going to go into it with all the thoughts of all the things that other people don't like about the game and you will most likely not enjoy it.

I have every right to be on the fence with a game that requires a monthly commitment (both monetary and physically). I was going to be one of the early adopters, but held back due to having a full plate at the time (with other games).

I spent a good six years with FFXI, I know what I would be getting into. But I can't just ignore all the complaints about the game (much which I've witnessed on my own in the beta). It's an MMO, it's supposed to evolve, and I'm choosing to wait until it's reached an acceptable state so I don't end up hating the game, which is something that could potentially happen if I were to sign up now. Why waste two months or so of time and money when it could drastically improve later?

But that's my choice, I'm not berating anyone who enjoys it now. And I was half-kidding about the crafting thing anyway. Pretty sure FFXI had a separate crafting thread, too.

• Options
    edited October 2010

I have every right to be on the fence with a game that requires a monthly commitment (both monetary and physically). I was going to be one of the early adopters, but held back due to having a full plate at the time (with other games).

I spent a good six years with FFXI, I know what I would be getting into. But I can't just ignore all the complaints about the game (much which I've witnessed on my own in the beta). It's an MMO, it's supposed to evolve, and I'm choosing to wait until it's reached an acceptable state so I don't end up hating the game, which is something that could potentially happen if I were to sign up now. Why waste two months or so of time and money when it could drastically improve later?

But that's my choice, I'm not berating anyone who enjoys it now. And I was half-kidding about the crafting thing anyway. Pretty sure FFXI had a separate crafting thread, too.

You can do whatever you like. I'm just saying based on your posts over the last few months, and your penchant to listen to the reviews of the game that spin even the positive things in a negative light you will most likely not enjoy the game.

I applaud the fact that you will wait for it to get to an acceptable state, I just question whether the state you deem "acceptable" will ever exist. But hopefully it does and hopefully at some day in the distant future you will enjoy the game.

Delphinidaes on
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    a puddlea puddle Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Why the fuck is this conversation happening in the crafting-specific thread?

Edit: Seriously, this thread is for people to communicate their crafting related needs. I have X, I need Y. I can make Y if you give me Z.

Not, "Let me ask this question I've asked ten times before with slightly different wording just to get the same answer I've gotten ten times before for whatever the hell reason I have for doing this."

a puddle on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    a puddle wrote: »

Edit: Seriously, this thread is for people to communicate their crafting related needs. I have X, I need Y. I can make Y if you give me Z.

Not, "Let me ask this question I've asked ten times before with slightly different wording just to get the same answer I've gotten ten times before for whatever the hell reason I have for doing this."

It was done as of 3 hours ago :)

That being said I'm now Rank 20 GSM so I'm going to start switching into silver stuff as soon as I can and I have officially joined the Goldsmithing Guild. (Apparently Rank20 GSM is actually barely a step above novice in their eyes.)

Delphinidaes on
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Regardless it would be nice if we could have one thread dedicated to having actual constructive discussion that benefits the participants. Rather than just an endless circle of face-farting we've had since Tycho decided everyone's opinion for them.

On to actual discussion:

Was incapacitated with work for the past few days, and I'm trying to catch up.

I'm basically "done" w/r/t alchemy except for obscure shit like horn glue 2.0 or scale/wing glue, which even Mheso can't do.

I'm currently working on ASM/BSM/GLD and will be grabbing bits and pieces of the others along the way.

My goal right now is to be able to produce most basic materials to help streamline the synthesis process across the board. Eventually I should be able to have complete horizontal integration, but calculus II can wait a while (nerd jokes).

a puddle on
  • Options
    edited October 2010

That being said I'm now Rank 20 GSM so I'm going to start switching into silver stuff as soon as I can and I have officially joined the Goldsmithing Guild. (Apparently Rank20 GSM is actually barely a step above novice in their eyes.)

You should be good with Chokers. Wristlets are dooable at 21 fairly consistently and earrings first pop at R22. If you go for the earings be prepared to fail a lot. Im 3/11 on them. Grats btw! go do your quest =)

Greg USN on
    FFXIV Petra Ironheart
    m1LuFkU.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Greg USN wrote: »

You should be good with Chokers. Wristlets are dooable at 21 fairly consistently and earrings first pop at R22. If you go for the earings be prepared to fail a lot. Im 3/11 on them. Grats btw! go do your quest =)

Just finished the quest. It's official now!

Delphinidaes on
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Anyone got flax? Thanks to the excellent Bureg Isaphul, I have a lot of dye bugs to make various dyes.

I can also produce the linseed oil from the flax. I just don't have enough flax/oil to do the job. Fortunately when I'm done we will have a LOAD of dyes.

Also, Bureg provided the crystals for me so he is also cool for that I guess I mean if you wanna know about all the nice stuff he does or w/e.

Edit: Got a bunch of flax, not enough to use up all the bugs but enough to use up most.

a puddle on
  • Options
    SaphierSaphier Aka Errant Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I put my retainer in the cobbler's ward with 3 bonze sollerets, some dodoskin duckbills, leather shoes, and various other unwanted armor pieces. Made 269k over night. I'm liking the new wards.

Saphier on
  • Options
    DeadspaceDeadspace Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    think i found the recipe for wing glue
    Recipe is

3 Imp wings, 1 Ahriman Wing, 1 Muddy Water

could be wrong but what i've found.

I'm not good enough to try or find the parts

Deadspace on
    "War Within, War Without, War Unending." catechism of the Space Wolves 13th Chapter.
  • Options
    SaphierSaphier Aka Errant Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    There's an ahriman in the cave outside the ferry, Uldah side. Send in the Siegfried.

Saphier on
  • Options
    nevilleneville The Worst Gay (Seriously. The Worst!)Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I'm working on weaving today and tomorrow.
    I'm also working on alchemy and carpentry, to a lesser extent.

I have a numer of things for goldsmithing/smithing... tin ore, yellow something ore, etc.
    If anyone needs it, let me know. I'll advertise it later in shell too.

neville on
    nevillexmassig1.png
  • Options
    IndieGirlIndieGirl Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Saphier wrote: »
    There's an ahriman in the cave outside the ferry, Uldah side. Send in the Siegfried.

I has your blindfishes Sab!

IndieGirl on
    zle3Y.jpg
  • Options
    useruser Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I won't be on this afternoon/evening. But later tonight I plan to fulfill all of my LW orders. So if you're on this list expect your stuff by tomorrow:

r27 Gathering Pants for r20+ Gatherers
    Dodoskin Culottes:

Bureg
    Quidi
    Tirae
    WHM

r27 Gathering Boots for r20+ Gatherers
    Leather Workboots:

Quidi
    Tirae
    WHM

r25 PGL GLA ARC LNC Gloves / Gathering Gloves for r18+ MIN
    Dodoskin Armguards

Tirae

Horrible Thongs for Strange Men
    Dodoskin Subligar (Yellow)

Quidi

r16 Crafting Boots for r10+ Crafters
    Dodoskin Thighboots (Black)

Sierra

P.M. me if you think your order need to be in my workload tonight.

user on
  • Options
    nevilleneville The Worst Gay (Seriously. The Worst!)Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Any suggestions on how much to price hempen items?
    Anyone?

neville on
    nevillexmassig1.png
  • Options
    SquallSeeD31SquallSeeD31 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Anyone got flax? Thanks to the excellent Bureg Isaphul, I have a lot of dye bugs to make various dyes.

I can also produce the linseed oil from the flax. I just don't have enough flax/oil to do the job. Fortunately when I'm done we will have a LOAD of dyes.

Also, Bureg provided the crystals for me so he is also cool for that I guess I mean if you wanna know about all the nice stuff he does or w/e.

Edit: Got a bunch of flax, not enough to use up all the bugs but enough to use up most.

I actually do have some spare Flax, since it's been mostly still going to me for dye production. If you want to help me with the ridiculous backlog of buffalo dyes that need to go out, please hit me up in game.

My inventory thanks you in advance.

Other alchemy-related news:
    I am personally at r24; the best ALC on the server (known) is Sera Lyn at 31, and Sera's not talking about any of the more elusive recipes (Wing/Scale Glue, Glass), so we don't know if they're known or what.

To test our theories, we are currently looking for such diverse elements as Saltpeter, Ahriman Wings, Bomb Ash.

I have not yet attempted cluster-breaking, but I will do so on the next full moon (should be some time tomorrow).

SquallSeeD31 on
    FFXIV: Alchemy Stuff Character:
    8229_48d6215903dff562.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Sera is extremely dedicated. That's got to be four straight weeks of smashing up against fatigue now.

a puddle on
  • Options
    IndieGirlIndieGirl Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Sera is extremely dedicated. That's got to be four straight weeks of smashing up against fatigue now.

She's also a r20 fisher, I saw her at Horizon today. That shit blows my mind.

IndieGirl on
    zle3Y.jpg
  • Options
    Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    The crafting in this game looks brilliant fun, but I'm having a hell of a time keeping track of what I need. I wanted to make some Sheepskin Leggings, so I made my way to YG for some recipes. 15 minutes later, I had a page full of notes and was quickly losing track of everything I needed to craft and/or buy.

I could use some advice on some brilliant recipe-tracking techniques.

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    SquallSeeD31SquallSeeD31 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    The crafting in this game looks brilliant fun, but I'm having a hell of a time keeping track of what I need. I wanted to make some Sheepskin Leggings, so I made my way to YG for some recipes. 15 minutes later, I had a page full of notes and was quickly losing track of everything I needed to craft and/or buy.

Well, it may sound obvious, but just play in Windowed mode so you *can* check YG when you want to craft something. I don't mean to condone the lack of an in-game resolution by this; only to point out that right now the best way to handle crafting recipes is a tab of YG.

SquallSeeD31 on
    FFXIV: Alchemy Stuff Character:
    8229_48d6215903dff562.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010

Well, it may sound obvious, but just play in Windowed mode so you *can* check YG when you want to craft something. I don't mean to condone the lack of an in-game resolution by this; only to point out that right now the best way to handle crafting recipes is a tab of YG.

This is pretty much what I do. I have YG up on a second screen all the time, makes it a breeze to search items, find what makes them and then start inquiring in the LS for people who can craft various pieces of it. If there is noone on then I start looking in the appropriate guilds for crafters. 90% of crafters will craft for you for free (or a small tip) if you bring the mats and shards. After all they get skill up from it as well.

You'll start to get the hang of which materials you'll see being used more and more and then you can start holding on to those.

Or look up a piece of gear you want to work towards and start gathering the mats for that. It's pretty easy to get stuff made if you use the linkshell and crafters around the city. Just be careful if you try and do it all yourself, you'll end up having to level quite a few crafts to pull that off. (Also you may want to speak to Neville, he has better hints at how to pull that off)

Delphinidaes on
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    So I stayed up entirely too late last night working on various crafts and managed to put together a couple of Bronze War Axes. Gally, I'll get these to you as soon as I can (hopefully tonight), and then the Storm Axes will flow!

Turns out the axe is a total piece of cake, with the only difficulty being the Buffalo Leather Strap (Black), which I had to nab from Exzeph. I only grabbed the two that I had mats for last night, but I'm hoping he'll be able to supply us as many more as we may need.

ostermei on
  • Options
    useruser Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I HQed my own personal attempt at straps (I have x24 reserved for Shim) so I've got 14 more you can count on. But I don't think we have that many MRDs. The tough part will be the Storm Axe upgrade which will require a whole circle of Oxblood-red Leather, I have 3 of those available atm, but I can make some more at about 25% success.

user on
  • Options
    IthakaIthaka regular
    edited October 2010
    To Culinarians, I found a list of some of the food effects, thought it may be useful.
    http://ffxiv.zam.com/forum.html?game=268&mid=1286839511179099217&howmany=50

Ithaka on
  • Options
    jdmichaljdmichal Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I feel like the words "Never throw away Flax" should appear in the OP somewhere after the shitfest I got yesterday for saying I was tossing them.

Just so everyone knows, God kills a kitten for every Flax you throw away. Don't throw them away.
    user wrote: »
    I HQed my own personal attempt at straps (I have x24 reserved for Shim) so I've got 14 more you can count on. But I don't think we have that many MRDs. The tough part will be the Storm Axe upgrade which will require a whole circle of Oxblood-red Leather, I have 3 of those available atm, but I can make some more at about 25% success.

Oh oh me me! I'm a MRD! Though I'm having a hard time finding things that I can kill that aren't blue right now. I think I'm going to have to leave Grid again. I just can't get decent skillup there without slowly grinding through the local squirrel population. Some wolves con yellow, but they are both deceptively hard and I have to be really careful to not aggro a second one.

jdmichal on
    XBox Live: KillerCodeMonky | Steam: KillerCodeMonky
    SC2: KillerCodeMk | LoL: KillerCodeMonky | FFXIV: Shea Demvas (Sargantas)
    Ghost in the Linkshell Item Requisitioning
    Let me know you are from PA, otherwise I will likely ignore you.
  • Options
    PerytonPeryton Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I have not yet attempted cluster-breaking, but I will do so on the next full moon (should be some time tomorrow).

Don't bother, I'm at 25 alchemy and it won't even let me attempt the synth for cluster breaking, so it's at least a 31+.

Peryton on
  • Options
    AtomBombAtomBomb Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Ithaka wrote: »
    To Culinarians, I found a list of some of the food effects, thought it may be useful.
    http://ffxiv.zam.com/forum.html?game=268&mid=1286839511179099217&howmany=50

Thanks! I gotta get me some eggs now.

EDIT- Gally I still have your pants. I thought I'd be on later last night but that didn't happen. Sab, I've got your thing-that-I-can't-remember-what-it-is-right-now. Some kind of tunic/vest/robe. Hope to see you both tonight :)

AtomBomb on
    I just got a 3DS XL. Add me! 2879-0925-7162
  • Options
    ElinElin Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

I am a marauder! I'm only r11 right now, but I'll need a new axe eventually so put one in the closet for me if you have a spare!

Elin on
    Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391
  • Options
    jdmichaljdmichal Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    jdmichal wrote: »

Oh oh me me! I'm a MRD! Though I'm having a hard time finding things that I can kill that aren't blue right now. I think I'm going to have to leave Grid again. I just can't get decent skillup there without slowly grinding through the local squirrel population. Some wolves con yellow, but they are both deceptively hard and I have to be really careful to not aggro a second one.

I should say that I also already have a Spiked Bronze Labrys from Shim, so I really should be last on the list for getting one of the Storm Axes. Considering that they're one whole rank higher, and, for all intents and purposes, I'll probably prefer the Labrys for it's 4 extra accuracy. I'm already having trouble with missing a good number of attacks.

Speaking of which, anyone got copper rings laying around? Or, I'll trade a stack of copper ore, a fire crystal, and 8 fire and wind shards to anyone willing to make them from scratch. You get to keep the extra copper.

jdmichal on
    XBox Live: KillerCodeMonky | Steam: KillerCodeMonky
    SC2: KillerCodeMk | LoL: KillerCodeMonky | FFXIV: Shea Demvas (Sargantas)
    Ghost in the Linkshell Item Requisitioning
    Let me know you are from PA, otherwise I will likely ignore you.
  • Options
    edited October 2010

I should say that I also already have a Spiked Bronze Labrys from Shim, so I really should be last on the list for getting one of the Storm Axes. Considering that they're one whole rank higher, and, for all intents and purposes, I'll probably prefer the Labrys for it's 4 extra accuracy. I'm already having trouble with missing a good number of attacks.

Speaking of which, anyone got copper rings laying around? Or, I'll trade a stack of copper ore, a fire crystal, and 8 fire and wind shards to anyone willing to make them from scratch. You get to keep the extra copper.

If you've got the accessory slots for it, I'd reccommend brass over copper for your rings. And I know our GSMs (Gally and Delphi) are almost always chomping at the bit to offload brass rings. I've got 3 of 'em on as a PGL and they're fantastic.

ostermei on
  • Options
    SigtyrSigtyr Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I have tons of iron.

I need someone to take this iron,because I'm tempted to try and sell it in the wards now that they're useful. I'm not entirely sure, but I believe I have at least 3 stacks of limonite, iron, and iron dust.

Sigtyr on