As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The D&D [Instant Watch] Film Society

ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
edited February 2011 in Debate and/or Discourse
Netflix's Instant Watch offers access to a truly staggering number of films. But this choice can sometimes be overwhelming. There are simply so many films from so many genres and periods that finding the good stuff can be intimidating. The D&D [Instant Watch] Film Society is here to help. This Film Series will be ranging from the low brow comedies to the high brow dramas. We'll be offering a sample of films designed to offer some informed choices about the offerings available on Netflix. Each week a forumer will present a movie for your viewing pleasure. These are films they feel passionate about. Some of these films may be in genres, movements or periods you have decided you don't like. I suggest you try them anyway, there are always gems to be found in any kind of movie style. Here are our presenters and the weeks they will be presenting:

Week 1: Bogart, Midnight Run
Week 2: Preacher, Spartan
Week 3: Jacobkosh, Blue Velvet
Week 4: Thomamelas, The Searchers
Week 5: Gim, Play Time
Week 6: Ryadic, Dear Zachary: A Letter to a Son About His Father
Week 7: Xenogears of Bore, The Love Guru
Week 8: Elki, Sans Soleil
Week 9: JamesKeenan, Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance
Week 10: Drez, Show Me Love
Week 11: Fluffy, Our Beloved Flopsy Bunny Friend, Brick
Week 12: Quid, Red Cliff
Week 13: Thanatos, Falling Down

Each film will be presented on the Monday of each week. If you're interested on being added to the list, then send me a PM with the movie you'd like to add. But understand, I want to see a wall of text. A well written, and thought out wall of text. This should be a film that you care deeply about, one that you can speak for hours about. New Rule. We aren't MST3k, unless we're doing an MST3k episode. If the movie is awful, then it needs to be awful in a good way. Things that are bad in a bad way, leave be.

Now I know that some of you are thinking "Thom, that's great and it helps solve my issue for one film each week. But what do I do the rest of the time"? Well here are some tools that can help you organize what's available on Netflix.

Instant Watcher. Instant Watcher allows you to see movies that users have selected, as well as what's new on Instant Watch. It also lets you sort by Genre, by high Rotten Tomatoes scores, and by films with positive ratings from the NY Times. I have no idea why Netflix doesn't have this functionality but they don't.

Streaming Soon While Instant Watcher focuses on what is available in Netflix, Streaming Soon shows what's coming soon.

Instant Watch Database Instant Watch Database is a search engine for Instant Watch. Designed to let people have detailed searches. For instance if I want to know the list of every Courtroom Drama made between 1950 and 1980 with a PG rating, and staring Gregory Peck, it will give you just such a list.

iPhone/iPad App

Feel free to discuss any general Netflix news as well as movie suggestions in the meantime. If people would like to organize group showings of the films in the series via Xbox Live or Vent, contact me and I can place times in the OP.

For those still wondering what they should watch here are some suggestions:

Action:
Black Dynamite: An homage to the blaxploitation films of the 70's.
Die Hard: The first and best of the series.
Heartbreak Ridge: A tounge in cheek look at the invasion of Grenada with Clint Eastwood.

Drama:
Reguarding Henry: Harrison Ford plays a deeply cold man who is gravely injured in a shooting. As he relearns to walk, his outlook on life changes.
Boyz N the Hood: The story of a young man trying make his way through the streets of LA while growing up. Perhaps one of the finest movies of it's decade.
Cool Hand Luke: Paul Newman played a lot of anti-heroes in his time, but Cool Hand Luke is perhaps one of his finest.

Comedies:
Short Circuit: Robot Johny Five becomes alive due to a freak accident and must run and hide from the defense contractor that wants him back.
Liar, Liar: Jim Carrey's finest role.
Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead: The film adaptation of Tom Stoppard's play looks at Hamlet from the point of view of the two interchangeable messengers.

Television:
Married with Children: The Bundys were the anti-Cosbys.
Top Gear: Three friends fucking about with cars. More then simply a car show. It has some truly beautiful cinematography and a wonderful sense of humor.
Battlestar Galactica: The Space Opera.

Indie:
Wings of Desire: Wim Wenders' story about an angel that falls in love with a woman. The first half is intensely depressing, but the second half is as intensely uplifting.
The Brother from Another Planet: Joe Morton plays an escaped alien slave that makes it to Earth. Joe Morton's performance as a mute will make you wonder why the man doesn't get more work.
Broken Flowers: Bill Murry plays a man who learns he has a 19 year old son.

Edit: Jacobkosh's Movie added.
Edit: Ryadic enters the fray.
Edit: Week 7 added, and Gim given proper credit
Edit: Week 8 added, and "We're not MST3k" rule added.
Edit: Week 9 added.
Edit: Links to the films have been added.
Edit: Week 10 added.
Edit: Week 11 added.

Thomamelas on

• Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I'm not sure how much I could come up with about Bronson, but I'll mull it over a bit and if I feel like I have enough to say I'll pitch in.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    mynameisguidomynameisguido Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    What a weird coincidence. I just watched Black Dynamite last night and it was lots of fun.

I was watching The Tick on it tonight and man is it good.

mynameisguido on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I'm not sure how much I could come up with about Bronson, but I'll mull it over a bit and if I feel like I have enough to say I'll pitch in.

He has surprisingly few films on Instant Watch.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    What will this entail? Just, each week watch the presented film at our leisure and discuss during that week? Would be happy to participate at least with the watching and discussing if so. Sounds fun.

As for suggestions in the meantime. One that I watched recently which probably won't jump out at a lot of people, but I highly recommend seeing, is The Snow Walker. (Netflix synopsis below)
    Barry Pepper stars in this survivalist adventure as cocky, hotheaded bush pilot Charlie Halliday, who agrees to transport a critically ill Inuit woman (Annabella Piugattuk) to a Yellowknife hospital during a routine stop on a supply run. The pair face dire consequences when their plane goes down in the Arctic tundra, leaving them marooned -- and facing the brutality of the looming northern winter.

It's a refreshingly simple, subdued story, and for the most part pretty realistic.

OremLK on
    My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    OremLK wrote: »
    What will this entail? Just, each week watch the presented film at our leisure and discuss during that week? Would be happy to participate at least with the watching and discussing if so. Sounds fun.

As for suggestions in the meantime. One that I watched recently which probably won't jump out at a lot of people, but I highly recommend seeing, is The Snow Walker. (Netflix synopsis below)
    Barry Pepper stars in this survivalist adventure as cocky, hotheaded bush pilot Charlie Halliday, who agrees to transport a critically ill Inuit woman (Annabella Piugattuk) to a Yellowknife hospital during a routine stop on a supply run. The pair face dire consequences when their plane goes down in the Arctic tundra, leaving them marooned -- and facing the brutality of the looming northern winter.

It's a refreshingly simple, subdued story, and for the most part pretty realistic.

That's pretty much exactly my plan.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Stabbity Style on
    Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited October 2010
    So I guess I'd better get cracking on an introductory essay to the delights of Midnight Run, eh?

Bogart on
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited October 2010
    So in.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    So, do I wait for the intro and then watch the movie, or does it not matter? I want some clarification of protocol.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010

The animated series, not the live action one right?

RIGHT?!

MyDcmbr on
    Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I'm pretty hurt that you'd consider watching the movie before hearing me wax rhapsodic about it, Elki. Don't you want me to get you all hot and bothered about the movie first? Won't you let me fluff your movie anticipation?

Bogart on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    MyDcmbr wrote: »

RIGHT?!

I didn't see the animated one on Instant Watch, though from having seen it before I know I love it.

I was surprised how good the live action series is.

mynameisguido on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    MyDcmbr wrote: »

RIGHT?!

I didn't see the animated one on Instant Watch, though from having seen it before I know I love it.

I was surprised how good the live action series is.

It was very good but they relegated it to a crap Friday slot

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Bogart wrote: »
    I'm pretty hurt that you'd consider watching the movie before hearing me wax rhapsodic about it, Elki. Don't you want me to get you all hot and bothered about the movie first? Won't you let me fluff your movie anticipation?

You know what, I'll let you fluff me. In fact, if your write-up is not up before I leave for work, you'll get a message with my email so you could send it to me, and I'll read it there and be ready to watch as soon as I get home, when I'm at my maximum fluffage.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Hawt.

The writeup will almost certainly not be up before you leave for work, and will be done when I get back from work tomorrow.

Bogart on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Thomamelas wrote: »

He has surprisingly few films on Instant Watch.

No I meant the actual film, Bronson.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I never realized there was a Kickboxer 5 until I was looking at the Instant Watch list.

Edit: Oh God also an American Ninja 5

mynameisguido on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Elki wrote: »
    So, do I wait for the intro and then watch the movie, or does it not matter? I want some clarification of protocol.

I'd rather people waited.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I'll get in on this fo sho

but I need to figure out what

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I will get on this. I have a massive list of films I could add

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I don't know that I will ADD anything, but I will try and watch every movie each week and maek discussion post in here!

Yayy netflix!

Arch on
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I'm in

my instant queue currently stands somewhere in the 170's and it gets larger every week.

Also, since most of us are watching netflix through the 360, I'd like to point out that most instant watch movies on the 360 allow a theater style MST3K group experience with party chat. It slightly shrinks the size of the film to make room for the avatars and screen, but if you're on a decent sized LCD it doesn't make a huge difference.

It would be cool to actually start a PA crew movie night where we watch good and shitty movies and discuss/laugh at them.

I'd like to start off by recommending we do this with the Friday the 13th series, which is currently available.

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I'm in

my instant queue currently stands somewhere in the 170's and it gets larger every week.

Also, since most of us are watching netflix through the 360, I'd like to point out that most instant watch movies on the 360 allow a theater style MST3K group experience with party chat. It slightly shrinks the size of the film to make room for the avatars and screen, but if you're on a decent sized LCD it doesn't make a huge difference.

It would be cool to actually start a PA crew movie night where we watch good and shitty movies and discuss/laugh at them.

I'd like to start off by recommending we do this with the Friday the 13th series, which is currently available.

I played around with the idea of doing that, but limits on the Xbox Live party system and the time issues just seemed like it would be a hassle. If you want to set it up, I will gladly put the times in the OP.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I'm a lot more liberal in adding stuff to my instant queue. For comparison: My DVD queue is at 108, my instant queue is 168. Also keep in mind that TV shows take up multiple spots on the DVD queue and only one on the instant, so the gap is actually wider.

There is a lot of stuff on my instant queue that is just "Oh, I'd like to rewatch that sometime." or "That movie sounds awful but maybe I'll be bored one day."

I might be up for a PA Movie Night on my 360.

Tomanta on
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I watched demolition man with a friend a few weeks ago and it wasn't bad. The biggest downside is that it shrinks the movie down to about 70% to fit the little animated theater, but it still keeps the HD at least.

We had fun just talking while we watched it. It reminded me a lot of college movie nights.

Also, MST3K is available for on demand, so we could actually MST3K MST3K and cause a black hole.

amateurhour on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    yeah tomanta... my instant queue isn't actually more full than my regular queue but I do add stuff to it more freely for lack of a better term.

Variable on
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I watched demolition man with a friend a few weeks ago and it wasn't bad. The biggest downside is that it shrinks the movie down to about 70% to fit the little animated theater, but it still keeps the HD at least.

We had fun just talking while we watched it. It reminded me a lot of college movie nights.

Also, MST3K is available for on demand, so we could actually MST3K MST3K and cause a black hole.

whoaaaa

what if you post about it as you do it and then someone comments on your posts with witty rejoinders?

Arch on
  • Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010

you can make it so it is just normal screen size, but you have chat enabled, basically. it is one of the buttons, I forget which.

JebusUD on
    and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    JebusUD wrote: »

you can make it so it is just normal screen size, but you have chat enabled, basically. it is one of the buttons, I forget which.

Ahhh, well that will solve the problem then.

I'll look through my queue tonight and figure out some times. Maybe Wednesday night?

amateurhour on
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    The buddy movie will never die. It has hit heady highs with Butch and Sundance, and deep, deep lows with Jay Leno and Mr Miyagi. Take two guys, or two gals, or a guy and a monkey, and put them together in circumstances that mean they have to stay together. Make sure they loathe each other, or at the very least make sure they're very different characters. Now watch them bounce off each other. That's it. Oh sure, you need a plot, and you need supporting characters, and maybe a love interest or whatever. But that's usually just window dressing. The buddy movie lives or dies on the lead pairing. If they don't strike sparks off one another, you're fucked and the movie will be a terrible stain on humanity.

Midnight Run is my favourite buddy movie and a masterclass in screen chemistry.
    midnight_run_dvd.jpg

This is the trailer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1_N28DA3gY&feature=related

Very little of that dialogue is actually in the final cut, and that minute and a half itself is pretty unrepresentative of the film. To be honest, you'd be hard pressed to find a minute and a half of the movie where someone isn't shouting "FUCK" at the top of their lungs, so you can kind of understand that. Anyway, Midnight Run isn't the kind of film you can sell on the basis of the plot, or a few clips.

Robert De Niro plays Jack Walsh, an ex-cop kicked off the force by corrupt colleagues, and who now scrapes a living as a bounty hunter dragging in scumbags he used to arrest for the wonderfully low-rent bail bondsman Moscone, played by the incomparably sleazy Joe Pantaliano. Charles Grodin plays Jonathan Mardukis, an accountant who embezzled millions of dollars from mobster Jimmy Serrano and then gave it all to charity before sensibly going on the run. Walsh is sent after Mardukis, and has to get to him from New York to an LA jail before the mob, the FBI, or a rival bounty hunter gets to him first. You will be unsurprised to learn that Mardukis and Walsh are not thrilled with each other's company. And that's the plot. They have chases, gun fights, fist-fights, helicopters attacking them and so on on the way, but all that's besides the point. The reason to watch this film is the pairing of Grodin and De Niro.

It is not, at first sight, an appetising prospect. "From the director who bought you Gigli, and the writer of The Whole Ten Yards, comes a comedy starring that well-known comic genius Robert De Niro, alongside the guy from those movies about a St. Bernard". And since both Robin Wiliams and Cher were once mooted for the role of Mardukis, the film could have been even less enticing. It's certainly true that the film isn't perfect. This isn't a masterpiece of cinema verite, nor is it emblematic of sea-change in the art form; it has almost no ambitions beyond being a buddy movie, some scenes don't work, the direction is often merely workmanlike, and I have difficulty believing that De Niro can kill a helicopter with a handgun.

And yet.

It's been one of my favourite movies for almost twenty years, ever since I first hired it from the tiny VHS video rental place on the way home from school. The chemistry between De Niro and Grodin is one of the best I've ever seen, and is all the more remarkable because it's a chemistry that exists not only between two actors obviously enjoying themselves, but also between the characters they play. Too many buddy movies have their lead pair dynamic revolve around artificial one-liners, knowing winks to the audience and a partnership made up of one cool guy and one comedy doofus. If Midnight Run were made today I'm sure they'd get someone like Steve Carrell to play Mardukis, and he'd be egged on by an eager director to present a neurotic hive of mannerisms and self-conscious schtick, while Walsh would be played by, I dunno, The Rock or Nic Cage, gurning frustration to the camera at every opportunity. Lessons about friendship would no doubt be learned. Instead, we get Grodin and De Niro, and every single exchange they have in the movie seems to spring naturally from the characters they portray: neither has been designated by a scriptwriter as 'the funny one', and neither is guilty of ever trying to force a laugh out of their odd couple dynamic.

url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLyz_JWJCJI

Improvising many of his scenes with Grodin (at one point looking right at the camera and opining "what a pain in the ass this guy is"), the two leads bounce brilliantly off each other (De Niro cites it as one of the movies he most enjoyed making), Grodin constantly nagging De Niro into ulcerating anger. Grodin picks at De Niro every single second they're together, berating his measly tipping, his smoking, his lack of sensitivity and his furious silences. And De Niro responds with some of his best work on the screen, managing to make Walsh both hilarious and poignant, furious and bedraggled, a man clinging to his dignity and his incorruptibility in a business even he admits is "fucking miserable". Brest said later that he would leave the camera running when a scene was done just in case De Niro added a little touch, like the watch, a tic that pays off near the end in an entirely improvised scene in a boxcar.

I said earlier that the movies action scenes are kind of besides the point, but they're still pretty good action scenes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slmtDntOA-k

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwiqA35sD9o&feature=related

The supporting cast is also fantastic. Dennis Farina, a real life ex-cop and tough guy, is both chillingly cruel and hilariously pissed off as Jimmy Seranno, the mobster Mardukis ripped off; Yaphet Kotto as Agent Alonso Mosley; Pantaliano as Eddie Moscone, a two faced shyster who would sell his own mother if he could turn a profit on the deal; John Ashton, a thick, unshaven slob who dogs Walsh's tail throughout the movie. The two asshole mobsters Serrano put on Walsh deserve a mention as well, affectionately known by their boss as moron number 1 and moron number 2. They even got Jack Kehoe in to play a role, a sure sign that someone wants quality in every part, no matter how tiny.

There are so many little moments of delight it's tough to pick a favourite. De Niro turning to camera and flashing an FBI badge after filching it from Kotto's pocket; the furrowed brow of Kotto as he surveys the wreckage left by a car chase through the desert that leaves a count of trashed Police cruisers that would not shame a Burt Reynolds movie; "fistophobia". And then there is the swearing. If you've ever seen the film on TV the chances are some fuckwit has dubbed over and cut out most of the incredibly brilliant swearing that goes on in this movie, an act I consider to be artistic vandalism akin to spraying DWAYNE 4 SHARONDA in neon yellow paint on a Carravaggio. This is fifth dan, black belt swearing, of the kind rarely seen outside of The Sopranos or a Martin Scorcese movie. Profanity spews forth from every character as freely and naturally as carbon dioxide is exhaled from the mouths of ordinary mortals. It's wonderful.

As I said earlier, this isn't a masterpiece of cinematic style or a visionary film from an auteur at the top of his game. It's just a buddy movie. But in their exchanges and the hard-earned moments of connection and understanding between the two, De Niro and Grodin manage to engage your senses of empathy and humour at the same time. The film is not an Ibsenesque tragedy, and ends as you probably suspected it would, but the happy ending has been earned by the sterling character work from the its two leads, and rings true. I've seen the film many times, and every time it's been like a reunion with an old friend, clinking a beer together and then settling back into an easy chair to bask in the comforting glow of company you know will neither disappoint nor bore you. It will never start a cult of cinema showings where the audience dress as their favourite characters, and it will not inspire a wave of young film-making Turks to follow in its footsteps.

It is just a buddy movie, after all. Sometimes, that's all you want.

Bogart on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    nothing better than knowing there is a write up waiting for you to get you to watch a movie

Variable on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Fantastic work bogart.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    That was great. I actually want to watch that now.

amateurhour on
  • Options
    Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I was thinking about contributing, but Bogart is an act I don't want to follow, even months from now.

Excellent stuff, Bogart. I look forward to seeing this film.

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited October 2010
    Holy shit, Bogart. That is a fantastic essay and really cuts to the quick of what makes this movie (and these sorts of movies) good.

I haven't seen Midnight Run in years but I fully plan to rectify that tonight.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    PuddingSenatorPuddingSenator Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Just finished watching Midnight Run. Thanks for convincing me to watch it! This is almost certainly a movie I never would have seen if I hadn't seen this thread, and I'm very glad I did see it. Just a fun, light movie that didn't try to accomplish anything more than to be extremely entertaining, and there's nothing wrong with that.

My suspension of disbelief was occasionally tested
    "You'll have to go to FLAGSTAFF, ARIZONA if you want those cigarettes back."
    , but once I learned to just turn that off and enjoy the proceedings, I had a good time.

PuddingSenator on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I'm totally willing to do a writeup as well, and will probably do Hackers if it's still up by then.

mynameisguido on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Eedit: NM.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Excellent film. The part where Grodin is doing his DeNiro impression I was cracking up so hard. They really do have an amazing chemistry together.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    ms silverlight can finally understand to stay fullscreen even if you interact with something else on your computer.

related to the topic and I'm happy about it

Variable on