As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The D&D [Instant Watch] Film Society

1235»

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Brick is great. you have to watch some scenes a few times to really get all the dialogue. The invented slang is glorious and really works perfectly. It should be noted that there is only a single actual swear in the whole movie and its implied(at the very end). Pretty cool considering.

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    InkSplat wrote: »
    I just need to rage real quick that One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest is expiring from Netflix Instant. Why would they do such a thing!?

Because they can acquire the rights to very few films in perpetuity.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    stevemarks44stevemarks44 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Brick is really great because it never attempts to be something that it isn't. It embodies the world it exists in from the opening frame and never abandons the subtle cliches and problems with classic noir. It modernizes the genre without bastardizing it.

stevemarks44 on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I think one of the biggest things that separates Brendan from the typical hardboiled detective is how it all catches up to him.
    He's carried by all this momentum for the first 2/3rds of the film or so, where all he does is dismantle the whole thing to find out who kills Emily. He never stops. But finally, when he does, the whole thing hits him like the ceiling just came down on his head. Emily is dead. It's almost as if he only realizes that when he has practically destroyed the entire drug operation finding out who killed her.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    stevemarks44stevemarks44 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I think one of the biggest things that separates Brendan from the typical hardboiled detective is how it all catches up to him.
    He's carried by all this momentum for the first 2/3rds of the film or so, where all he does is dismantle the whole thing to find out who kills Emily. He never stops. But finally, when he does, the whole thing hits him like the ceiling just came down on his head. Emily is dead. It's almost as if he only realizes that when he has practically destroyed the entire drug operation finding out who killed her.

Yeah, that's why I really liked this. It deepened the understanding of the typical hardboiled detective without really changing him in a significant way.
    In addition to the scene you mentioned, I also love the scene where Brendan passes out. It's like, all this running and gunning and sleuthing takes actual real-life time. That's fine if you're some magical hardboiled detective, but Brendan is real. He's bleeding, sick and hasn't been sleeping.

I love that they decided to show not only the emotional but the physical toll that this kind of pursuit would actually take.

stevemarks44 on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Were you like me? Were you watching Lord of the Rings and, while finding the epic battles satisfying, finding something missing. Some unexplainable thing that just sort of irked you? Stronger female characters? Tighter story telling? Minorities? No, there was one, all important piece of film making that was absent.

White doves.

red_cliff_poster.jpg

So bad ass that it was rated R for sequences of epic warfare, Red Cliff is John Woo's epic war film dramatizing the events immediately leading up to the period of the Three Kingdoms in China. The movie is easily one of the best films to come out of China with top notch acting, special effects, and writing. The last an especially impressive feat given the government's tight control of the movie industry. But even within those confines Woo created a masterpiece that rivals even some of Hollywood's better creations.

Set in the year 208 and based on historical events, the ruling Han Dynasty sends the imperial army, lead by chancellor Cao Cao to quell a rebellion lead by two warlords, Sun Quan and Liu Bei. The film details the strategies throughout the war, from head to head battles, espionage, deception, and the clever use of warfare technology that all culminates in the final battle at the titular Red Cliff. That it should even get that far is all thanks to one man, Zhuge:
    redcliff_takeshikaneshiro.jpg

In that particular picture Zhuge is deep in thought. That's because he's always deep in thought. If you have a problem, he will solve that shit and do it the entire time showing off his bitchin' crane feather fan. These days the man's name is literally synonymous with wisdom and strategy. As the movie progresses the film makes use of both Zhuge's historically accurate solutions as well as the more popular exaggerated ones, such as when tasked to obtain 100,000 arrows in 10 days on pain of death. Zhuge uses everything from spies to use of weather to help the warlords defeat an army several times their size. But it's not all intrigue and strategy.

Sometimes a guy just runs in and wrecks some shit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPrFwd4aQXA&feature=related

The head on battles in Red Cliff are vivid, spectacularly over the top fights that can are wonderfully choreographed. Anyone who's played Dynasty Warriors will be instantly familiar with the visuals. Military generals roam the fields of battle fighting their way through the rank and files before either falling to the masses or engaging with equally deadly foes.

Assuming, of course, a giant, moving deadly maze of shields doesn't pop up.

turtle-formation.jpg

Now, the original version released in Asia unfolds over the course of over four and a half hours split in to two parts. Shit was long. "But Quid," I can hear you say "280 minutes is way too long for me to sit and watch a movie." Well good news, buddy. The version available on Netflix for instant watch is the Western release. And even better, this version is widely praised for making the movie more fluid and tightly pulling together the narrative. Having seen the original itself, I personally highly recommend this version over it. Which isn't to say that the Western cut doesn't lose some important scenes. Zhuge's motivation for trying to collect arrows (Death!) is gone, as is the spy, Sun Shangxiang's, interactions with one of the enemy camp's soldiers that helps sympathize the enemy. Overall, though, the film benefits far more from much needed editing.

This movie is not by any means the greatest film I've ever seen. I've seen each version only once even though I've found both enjoyable. It is, however, one of the best recent movies produced by the mainland and a definite must see for anyone interested in their films.

tl;dr

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3qIXQCHf94

Quid on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    that looks amazing

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I really enjoyed the hell out of that movie. I'm not sure how I missed it, but the combination of John Woo and historical epic really needs to happen again.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    This movie is basically Dynasty Warriors: The Movie. It's fucking great.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Thanatos wrote: »
    This movie is basically Dynasty Warriors: The Movie. It's fucking great.

Chinese Generals have clearly unlocked life's cheat codes.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Also, the hats are the best.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    Dyrwen66Dyrwen66 the other's insane Denver CORegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Man, Red Cliff was awesome.

I really liked how much it relied on trying to outsmart the enemy every step of the way. Really nice way to show the strategy of their war without making it a "We have more heart, we'll win" kind of thing that most war flicks tend to fall back on.

Dyrwen66 on
    Just an ancient PA person who doesn't leave the house much.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Have you ever had one of those days? You know, have a bad day at work, get stuck in traffic on the way home, have some gangbangers try to mug you, then you have to steal a bunch of guns and a baseball bat and go nuts on society in general? If so, then this is the movie for you:
    600full-falling-down-poster.jpg

Falling Down has the dubious honor of probably being Joel Schumacher's best film: The year is 1993, and Michael Douglas is still the man. He plays the everyman, William "D-FENS" Foster, who finally decides he's had enough one day; all he wants to do is make it home in time to celebrate his daughter's birthday, and absolutely nothing seems to go right. This movie is essentially an urban Alice in Wonderland, with guns and violent rage.

"But Thanatos," you say, "this is a movie from the early 90s, and like everyone else, I like my movies from the early 90s to have exaggerated stereotypes; the only exaggerated stereotype I've heard you mention is Michael Douglas." Well, friend, you're in luck! Because this movie features not only disaffected white-collar worker (Michael Douglas), it also has Cop Who's Too Old for This Shit:
    5067-6009.jpg

"Yes, Thanatos, that's nice, but what about racial stereotypes?" But of course! We've got White Supremacist:
    fallingdownarmynavy.jpg

And Ethnic Gangbanger (is he Mexican? Is he black? I don't know, all I know is that he isn't white, and I'm scared of him!):
    fallingdownbriefcaseman.jpg

Is this movie amazing? Absolutely. Is it perfect? Probably not. It has it's moments, it has some great dialogue, and it does a great job at making you feel sympathy for pretty much all of the major characters in the movie.

TL;DR: this is First-World Problems: The Movie. Watch it.

Trailer

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Without getting more behind the scenes access, I can't be sure but this always felt like one of those movies that worked despite the director rather then because of him. Michael Douglas puts in a hell of a performance, as does Duvall.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited January 2011
    I need to get caught up on these. Falling Down is a fantastic movie, it's ugly and mean and possibly race-baiting but also, I think, expresses some very authentic things that real people actually feel, and it's loaded with pitch-black, supremely cynical comedy. I haven't seen it in years but am thrilled that it's on instant.

I haven't seen Red Cliff at all, but it looks tremendous. I love these painterly Chinese epics.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2011
    I like that Than picked a movie about a man filled with inchoate rage.

Bogart on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    jacobkosh wrote: »
    I need to get caught up on these. Falling Down is a fantastic movie, it's ugly and mean and possibly race-baiting but also, I think, expresses some very authentic things that real people actually feel, and it's loaded with pitch-black, supremely cynical comedy. I haven't seen it in years but am thrilled that it's on instant.
    My initial reaction to seeing it was on Instantwatch was to tell Thom "I'll do it!"

I admit to some discomfort with the portrayal of certain races in the movie, but I think a lot of it is that it's told through the perspective of D-FENS, and he is a suburban, middle-class white guy. I don't know if that's just me trying to apply rose-colored glasses to it, though, because I really like the movie.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited February 2011
    The Nazi gunshop owner always seemed like a heavy-handed attempt to stave off accusations of racism. Having the leering skinhead wave a Zyklon-B cannister about and then dribble out "You and me: we're the same" and then having Douglas tell him no way man you're totally a sicko feels like loading the argument somewhat.

My favourite scene is the one in the burger joint, with Douglas holding up a burger that bends when held upright and comparing it to the succulent deliciousness on the overhead boards.

Bogart on