As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

First time to PAX East? - Stuff I wish I had known

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited February 2011
    Shayde wrote: »
    Orlando has more convention centers than anywhere else in the world by about the factor of ten.

Orlando is warm.

Orlando has Universal, Disney, etc for extended trips or family who might not be PAXable.

Did I mention the warmth? :)

I can dream of a PAX South, can't I?

Yeah, Orlando is a fantastic convention town to be sure. The Marriott World Center is an impressive beast since its CC addition. I think though that the population density of the North East is a little too high to ignore, plus the fact that winter time convention space is likely at a premium in a warm weather area.

zerzhul on
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited February 2011
    Not to mention that there are actual game development companies, both indie and mainstream, in the Boston area.

Now can we get back to the topic of tips for first-time attendees, please.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    ArcadiaExeterArcadiaExeter Boston MARegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    i pray they never move PAXeast. boston is the perfect spot for me and my friends, and if it were anywhere else i probably wouldnt be able to make it.

ArcadiaExeter on
    7US7VWW.png
  • Options
    DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Orlando is in Florida.

That counter-acts any other positive.

Decius on
    camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    slamonellaslamonella Clue-by-Four Boston, MARegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Decius wrote: »
    Orlando is in Florida.

That counter-acts any other positive.
    And that's all I have to say about that.

slamonella on
    Some people are like Slinkies. They have no practical use whatsoever,
    but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »
    Now can we get back to the topic of tips for first-time attendees, please.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    Squill2k4Squill2k4 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'm trying to get there early enough to see the Keynote, do you think arriving at 8:30 AM is early enough? I know I'll probably have to wait around outside in the cold until the doors open.

Squill2k4 on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Squill2k4 wrote: »
    I'm trying to get there early enough to see the Keynote, do you think arriving at 8:30 AM is early enough? I know I'll probably have to wait around outside in the cold until the doors open.

I'm not sure how it will be for the BCEC exactly, but the Hynes exterior doors opened at 8AM last year on saturday/sunday (not sure about friday since I didn't arrive before the exterior doors opened friday) so we could get our butts out of the cold and start waiting indoors before the main doors opened.

It's always hard to say how early is early enough because when people start throwing out things like "I'll get there at 7" someone will try to get there earlier to beat them out. Last year for the keynote I got there at 11:00AM with the main doors scheduled to open at 2:00PM and had no issue getting into the keynote. 8:30 *sounds* like it *might* be early enough, but it will be really hard to tell for sure given the new venue and the new start time for East on Friday.

zerzhul on
  • Options
    TwiztidTwiztid Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Me and a friend got there not long before the doors were to open, ended up around the corner and down the street.

Soon as the doors opened the line started moving and really never stopped. Slowed for a moment here and there, but it continuously moved on. Getting in wasn't an issue, the Hynes has a decent design for getting large numbers inside fairly quickly.

Twiztid on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Twiztid wrote: »
    Me and a friend got there not long before the doors were to open, ended up around the corner and down the street.

Soon as the doors opened the line started moving and really never stopped. Slowed for a moment here and there, but it continuously moved on. Getting in wasn't an issue, the Hynes has a decent design for getting large numbers inside fairly quickly.

PAX East isn't at the Hynes this year.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    TwiztidTwiztid Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

I know. I should've amended that.

The Hynes has a decent design for getting large numbers inside fairly quickly, but I don't know about the BCEC. Seeing as it's a newer much larger facility, I'm assuming entry should be similar if not possibly faster.

I took a walk by there a few weeks ago to check it out as I've never been there. Outside has a lot more queuing room than the Hynes does.

Twiztid on
  • Options
    luceklucek Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

I know. I should've amended that.

The Hynes has a decent design for getting large numbers inside fairly quickly, but I don't know about the BCEC. Seeing as it's a newer much larger facility, I'm assuming entry should be similar if not possibly faster.

I took a walk by there a few weeks ago to check it out as I've never been there. Outside has a lot more queuing room than the Hynes does.

Looking at the map it looks like there is a ton more room to get in. Then it's a question how much of the place are we going to be in? There were 5 entrances but we may not be using them all. Even then the the main lobby and entrance plaza are huge.

lucek on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Also, some of those entrances may end up restricted for official uses.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited February 2011
    Also, some of those entrances may end up restricted for official uses.

Even then you could probably fit every attendee from last year into the northwest and northeast prefunction rooms.

lucek on
  • Options
    slamonellaslamonella Clue-by-Four Boston, MARegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    The entryway to the BCEC is cavernous compared to the Hynes. Even with losing some space for official use, there will be all kinds of space.

slamonella on
    Some people are like Slinkies. They have no practical use whatsoever,
    but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
  • Options
    LimondLimond Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I remember reading somewhere that people started lining up last year at PAXEast at 5 am to get in for the keynote. My friend and I got there about 2-3 hours early (back when it opened at 2pm) and there was slim to no chance way we were going to make it in, were about 1/2 way in the first room of the queue room. So an hour and a half is more then likely not enough time. As always earlier is better.

On a side note...Baltimore Convention Center! Double the space of BECE, centrally located in down town Baltimore and it will be just like The Wire!

Limond on
    One clip, one kill.

I am a monster truck that walks like a man.
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Limond wrote: »
    I remember reading somewhere that people started lining up last year at PAXEast at 5 am to get in for the keynote. My friend and I got there about 2-3 hours early (back when it opened at 2pm) and there was slim to no chance way we were going to make it in, were about 1/2 way in the first room of the queue room. So an hour and a half is more then likely not enough time. As always earlier is better.

On a side note...Baltimore Convention Center! Double the space of BECE, centrally located in down town Baltimore and it will be just like The Wire!

Quiet you. They're happy here, and I get to go.

lucek on
  • Options
    tenakutenaku Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

umm.... no?
    Exhibit Space:
    Baltimore: 300,000 sq ft
    Boston: 516,000 sq ft, contiguous

Meeting Rooms:
    Baltimore: 85,000 sq ft
    Boston: 160,000

Grand Ball Room:
    Baltimore: 36,000 sq ft
    Boston: 40,000 sq ft

etc, etc. the BCEC is bigger than the Baltimore convention center in every measurable way.

tenaku on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    since I was one of the people going off topic before, I'll be a good boy and remind everyone to get back on topic :)

zerzhul on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    zerzhul wrote: »
    since I was one of the people going off topic before, I'll be a good boy and remind everyone to get back on topic :)

:^:

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    LimondLimond Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    tenaku wrote: »

umm.... no?
    Exhibit Space:
    Baltimore: 300,000 sq ft
    Boston: 516,000 sq ft, contiguous

Meeting Rooms:
    Baltimore: 85,000 sq ft
    Boston: 160,000

Grand Ball Room:
    Baltimore: 36,000 sq ft
    Boston: 40,000 sq ft

etc, etc. the BCEC is bigger than the Baltimore convention center in every measurable way.

Ah I was going off total space. I guess that makes more sense then. Total Space is bigger but everything else is smaller. We sure know how to waste space in Baltimore I guess.

Limond on
    One clip, one kill.

I am a monster truck that walks like a man.
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Schedule is up.

Time to start planning.

lucek on
  • Options
    metatronmetatron Registered User new member
    edited February 2011
    Hey all - so I've decided to make the trip out to PAXEast this year. Never been before, but really looking forward to a few things. Unfortunately all my friends who would normally be interested either don't have the time but have the money or don't have the money, but have the time. As the title suggests, I will be going this one solo. From what I've read in a lot of these forum posts, this is event can be a very social thing (and I'm definitely social), so I'm not too concerned. Any general advice from anyone who has gone solo before?

metatron on
  • Options
    MJPMMJPM Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Talk to people, and do what you like. I went alone my first year, and it was great, but I wished I had spoken to more people and not pressured myself into a strict schedule, trying to see everything.

MJPM on
    paxeast2010dvdsignowout.jpgForumSig2.jpg
  • Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    i went alone last year and can assure you that you've got nothing to be worried about(not that you are worried). i'm not the most sociable/forthcoming person but there were still plenty of people who made that lil bit of effort that i usually find so hard. and that goes for people outside of PAX too.

for a start check out the various Pre-PAX event threads. lots of things happening in the days before PAX kicks off. lines are also a great way of meeting new people, either by just striking up a conversation or by joining an impromptu game of Mario Kart DS(or any other multiplayer portable game).

and of course in the down time before, during and after PAX the forums and IRC channel are both great ways to arrange meets with anyone else that finds themselves at a bit of a loose end.

Wraith260 on
  • Options
    Vaulter85Vaulter85 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    MJPM wrote: »
    Talk to people, and do what you like. I went alone my first year, and it was great, but I wished I had spoken to more people and not pressured myself into a strict schedule, trying to see everything.

I did the same thing, I tried to see everything. I suggest checking out the prepax events as well, the prepax dinner only has a handful of tickets left. The pokecrawl is a great way to meet some awesome people and it's a lot of fun.

Vaulter85 on
    Team Charmander Brofessional
  • Options
    nevermore13nevermore13 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    MJPM wrote: »

I was in the same situation and definitely wish I had talked to more people. Remedying it this year through becoming active on the forums and planning to spend time at tabletop (many of those games are social by nature). That which would be my advice and also just remember you have something in common with everyone else who is there.

nevermore13 on
  • Options
    ArcadiaExeterArcadiaExeter Boston MARegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    its a party. mingle as best you can. theres no pressure. im sure there will be at least one area about something your really into and you'll find your surrounded by friends everywhere you go.

ArcadiaExeter on
    7US7VWW.png
  • Options
    f0cusf0cus Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I've seen that the best place to start talking to people is the free play area. Don't neglect it!

f0cus on
    XBox - Angry Cremepuff
    PSN - AngryCremepuff
  • Options
    nyfilmfestnyfilmfest Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'm hitching a ride up with a friend who's going to Boston anyhow, but essentially soloing the conference as a PAX virgin. My advice might not be helpful, therefore, but I'm not especially worried, as I am planning on doing some board gaming, and people quickly get friendly with each other in those situations.

If that's not for you, it's probably best to keep in mind that everyone there is a geek like you, and will be happy to geek out with you about whatever you are into! There are a ton of events that you can sign up for on the forum. Try one or two of those to get your feet wet, but don't overthink things... The conference will surely bust whatever plans you have in mind. Just make a slight effort... talk to people in lines... try to have a positive attitude... People will want to hang.

nyfilmfest on
  • Options
    Don_MekaDon_Meka Southeast PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'm in the exact same situation as you metatron. I was planning a trip with about 10+ people. Then i cut it down to 4. Now I don't think anyone is coming. This is my first PAX too and I'm unfortunately going at it solo. If you want to, we could meet up so we can look lost and confused together instead of alone.

Don_Meka on
  • Options
    kid_nyckid_nyc Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    to continue the good words of ny film fest:

i'm flying solo as well, but i'm not worried. i'm trying to view it like what happened with last year's ny comic con. i did a lot of it by myself, but there was so many things to do and see, it didn't matter that i was alone. i did go with people, which i'd catch up with for a quick chat or to go to a panel, but most of the time, they wanted to see one thing and i wanted to go to another, so even though i went with people, we were separated a lot.

the way i feel about pax, and this is my first ever as well, is: if i'm feeling brave, maybe, for instance, i'll try to get some people to play ds with me (i'm planning on sitting in a few wait lines for panels). if i'm not feeling bold, well, i'll just be another one of the thousands who are there to have a good time.

in the end, what it boils down to is: alone or with people, we are going to be in a place where we belong. everyone is there for the same reason. so even if you are alone, and not feeling bold and brave, you really arn't alone.

kid_nyc on
  • Options
    Hangover_GloryHangover_Glory Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'm going alone as well. I've been to NY Comic Con multiple times but from what I'm hearing, this is much bigger and varied. I can't wait!

Hangover_Glory on
  • Options
    undeadundead Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    No need to worry about line space to get in. The foyer outside the main exhibit hall runs around the front and side.
    They can easily hold the lines that were in ballroom A last year.

The question I'd ask is how they intend to distribute the lines. It's not as simple as opening the main doors for they lead straight into the main exhibit hall. They'd have to run the lines up the staircases one at a time to get to the second floor meeting rooms, I assume.
    We'll find out when we get there.

undead on
    As I am, so shall ye be.

Yahoo group GCIACST
  • Options
    first befirst be __BANNED USERS new member
    edited February 2011
    My advice might not be helpful, therefore, but I'm not especially worried, as I am planning on doing some board gaming, and people quickly get friendly with each other in those situations.

first be on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    No one is going alone. Every one is going with 50,000+ friends. In the now immortal words of Wil Wheaton.
    "It is my honor, It is my privilege, and it is my pleasure to say, Welcome home."
    -

lucek on
  • Options
    HardcoreGaymerHardcoreGaymer Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    This will be my first Penny Arcade expo. Is there anything that is a MUST-do? I am kinda nervous though because i don't play table-top games. Are there alot of people that don't play table-top games?

I am 18, so no over 21 parties.

HardcoreGaymer on
  • Options
    nyfilmfestnyfilmfest Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    This will be my first Penny Arcade expo. Is there anything that is a MUST-do? I am kinda nervous though because i don't play table-top games. Are there alot of people that don't play table-top games?

Well, "MUST-do" is pretty subjective. If you want to get the full PAX experience, though I'd probably suggest attending the keynote and at least one of the Omegathon tournament events.

Beyond that, there are a lot of videogame demos, tournaments, live music concerts, panels, vendors, RPGs, and forum events to pick from. There are also less-structured open-gaming areas, and general hangout areas set up if you're more into people-watching. I imagine that if you have a geeky bone in your body, you should be able to find something to keep you occupied. :wink:

nyfilmfest on
  • Options
    lillblillb Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

I have pretty much zero interest in table top games and I enjoyed it last year and I'm really looking forward to it again this year. Last year we only went one day and didn't see any of the panels (which we somewhat regretted). I'd suggest looking over the schedule posted and marking off those panels that seem most interesting to you and try to go to them, but I think you'll have fun either way.

lillb on
  • Options
    LelldorianxLelldorianx Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I cannot agree more with the recommendation to wear a dual-strapped backpack. I took a duffel bag to PAX Prime and was in a lot of pain because of it. The pain was totally worth the fun of PAX, but there's no point in suffering if you can go in with the wisdom to bring a better bag :)

Lelldorianx on
    Editor @ GamersNexus.net