Are you BSG'ing me?

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Daxon wrote: »
    Actually, the more I think about it the worse an HIV vaccine sounds. It would just give people the impression that unprotected sex with strangers becomes okay and stops being dangerous.

Dear god, HIV vaccines are the dumbest thing in the world.

That can't be like, an actual thing you think is true

Can it?

This is definitely a thing I can see happening in the west. "Oh yeah no, it's not like I can catch HIV so who gives a shit any more"

I mean, people are dumb as shit - otherwise HIV wouldn't spread and gonorrhoea wouldn't be so painfully abundant.

People are dumb as shit already

I fail to see how removing HIV from the equation is going to cause some kind of crazy rise in unprotected sex. Like I don't see people going "Oh well I can still get a huge number of STDs but as long as HIV isn't on the list anymore I better get on the fucking strangers without protection train!"

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    stevemarks44stevemarks44 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Actually, the more I think about it the worse an HIV vaccine sounds. It would just give people the impression that unprotected sex with strangers becomes okay and stops being dangerous.

Can it?

This is definitely a thing I can see happening in the west. "Oh yeah no, it's not like I can catch HIV so who gives a shit any more"

I mean, people are dumb as shit - otherwise HIV wouldn't spread and gonorrhoea wouldn't be so painfully abundant.

But the idea of not vaccinating people from dying a potentially horrible and painful death just in case they happen to be more promiscuous than you morally think they should be is seriously kind of fucked up, dude.

stevemarks44 on
  • Options
    DaxonDaxon Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Real confused with [chat] now. Tbh, I don't know how Africa works - assuming I do is non-sensical. It's just that the possiblity of a HIV vaccine is so incredibly slim that by a pure balance of probabilities I think it'd be better if the money spent on trying to achieve a vaccine would be better spent on water supplies and the like in the poorest regions of the world.

Sure, you can spend both, but I like solving problems one at a time with the most attainable being the highest up on the list.

Daxon on
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Real confused with [chat] now. Tbh, I don't know how Africa works - assuming I do is non-sensical. It's just that the possiblity of a HIV vaccine is so incredibly slim that by a pure balance of probabilities I think it'd be better if the money spent on trying to achieve a vaccine would be better spent on water supplies and the like in the poorest regions of the world.

Sure, you can spend both, but I like solving problems one at a time with the most attainable being the highest up on the list.

But it doesn't work that way. There isn't a big pot of money somewhere in the world that gets divvied up. It's all separate. The people who are researching vaccines are separate from the people who build infrastructure and each has their own budget.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Sarksus wrote: »

But it doesn't work that way. There isn't a big pot of money somewhere in the world that gets divvied up. It's all separate. The people who are researching vaccines are separate from the people who build infrastructure and each has their own budget.

Yeah but seriously give all those people the AIDS money is what I think he's saying.

I don't agree with it but I think that's what he's saying.

stevemarks44 on
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    the number one priority is removing the catholic church

then I guess water and an HIV vaccine and stuff

Elendil on
  • Options
    edited October 2010

Can it?

But the idea of not vaccinating people from dying a potentially horrible and painful death just in case they happen to be more promiscuous than you morally think they should be is seriously kind of fucked up, dude.

Nothing to do with morals - just think people would end up having more unprotected sex meaning a greater spread of all the other STIs which is just bad.

Also, happylilelf, people are dumber than you think - they can quite easily interpret a vaccine for HIV as a vaccine "for all STIs" even if you specifically tell them that it is for one disease and one disease only and that they remain susceptible to all the others and should still practice safe sex.

It can be difficult enough getting patients to just take a pill a day that doesn't make everything instantly better because they "think it's not working so they didn't bother" when all it does is take time to work.

People are just dumb. Real fucking dumb.

Daxon on
  • Options
    TarranonTarranon Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    this is more a problem of proper sex ed, daxon

people are dumb yeah but we could be doing a lot more on that front than we are now

Tarranon on
    You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    First HIV isn't just a problem in the undeveloped and underdeveloped countries like most of Africa. It is on the rise in Asia including the developed countries and places like China. Working on a cure does not drain resources from developing water supplies, other medical aid and food aid to developing nation. The world does not run on this zero sum game. And that fallacy is what I think you are missing.

Also researching HIV and how it functions to try to develop vaccines help other areas of research.

I think that its you are looking this in a bubble but it isn't.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I'm glad you're here to save us from a cure for AIDS

Elendil on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I mean

we could get gonorrhea

Elendil on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I can't wait until we cure all the STDs and indiscriminate sex is not only safe but recommended by the Surgeon General.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    First HIV isn't just a problem in the undeveloped and underdeveloped countries like most of Africa. It is on the rise in Asia including the developed countries and places like China. Working on a cure does not drain resources from developing water supplies, other medical aid and food aid to developing nation. The world does not run on this zero sum game. And that fallacy is what I think you are missing.

Also researching HIV and how it functions to try to develop vaccines help other areas of research.

I think that its you are looking this in a bubble but it isn't.

I know it's not a zero sum game. I know it's more complex.

I still think the biologists or organisations receiving the money for HIV research should just be like "well, y'know what? we're just gonna waste this soo.. we could give it to the well building people instead, right? that'd be handy, yeah."

I know it's not going to happen.

Also a vaccine for the common cold would be a billion times handier than a HIV vaccine but we won't ever have one for the same reason that we won't have a HIV one. They've been trying common cold ones for years and years, and HIV mutates even faster.

It's ridiculous is what I'm saying.

In other news, research that sounds interesting and could be incredibly handy is a method of detecting lung cancer from a person's breathe. It's based on the fact that dogs can smell lung cancer, something I think incredibly interesting.

Daxon on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Elendil wrote: »
    I mean

we could get gonorrhea

Yeah it can cause sterility in men and women.

Doesn't seem so damn harmless now, does it?

Daxon on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I mean

we could get gonorrhea

So we can't get pregnant? MORE SEX!

Sarksus on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I mean

we could get gonorrhea

sigh

y'know what? fuck it.

Everyone can have the AIDS.

Daxon on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I mean

we could get gonorrhea

you're right

I guess I'd rather have HIV and be able to have a baby who also has HIV

Elendil on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I mean

we could get gonorrhea

you're right

I guess I'd rather have HIV and be able to have a baby who also has HIV

Actually HIV isn't transmitted in the womb, the baby gets it during birth from the mother's blood so assuming you're careful you can totally chillax and have a perfectly healthy baby as many HIV+ mothers do.

So, you wrong. Also with HAART you can basically have an entirely normal life expectancy so you get to do all that fun stuff with your kid!

Daxon on
  • Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I hope Daxon gets aids.

Not even joking here.

evilbob on
    l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I mean

we could get gonorrhea

sigh

y'know what? fuck it.

Everyone can have the AIDS.

Hooray!

Cinders on
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Common cold is a collection a lot of different viruses. And it isn't killing anyone. Big difference. Cold makes your life annoying as hell, but unless you have some other underlying condition probably won't even get you near being dead. So I think that comparison is not the greatest.

And I don't think the researchers see it as wasteful. In fact I think they see their research as important. And it is. Will be successful here soon? Probably not. And you can say that the research have given us a lot of information on how the viruses work.

The lung cancer thing is interesting. But could be just as much as a dead end as the AIDS vaccine in your view.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2010
    daxon is a pretty weird guy when it comes to medical matters and video games

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Nerdgasmic wrote: »

Daxon is a shit human being.

evilbob on
    l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    edited October 2010
    Gotta keep letting people get aids so we can use it to scare the kids out of having sex.

evilbob on
    l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    edited October 2010
    what? He said that?

What the fuck

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    edited October 2010

Yeah, I guess. Just find a lot of stuff useless.

I am also highly suspect of medications that a prescribed especially ones where the mechanism of action is basically "fuck knows - but it seems to do something in the general direction of what we're trying to achieve".

I mean, it's probably valuable to research retroviruses in general. Gives processes of how to get your cells to accept DNA that isn't there's and not triggering defence systems and all that. It's just a "vaccine for HIV" seems like a useless struggle for something that's just not happening ever.

Unless we get magical nanobot vaccines that you can reprogram to target new versions of the virus at will.

I'm just not as optimistic as you guys all are when it comes to what science will discover. Like you folks that were insistent we might find the Culture - sorry guys, that's never fucking happening. Nor is scifi type FTL travel or any of that.

Video games I don't know what you're getting at.

edit: bob, that's a gross simplification if anything that approaches the truth. I believe that a vaccine for HIV (or any STI for that matter) will easily be interpreted by any and all patients as a simple "vaccine for all STIs ever" leading to more unprotected sex and increased STI spread.

Because patients are dumb and interpret one medication as kind of a magic thing that treats everything wrong with them ever. The number of times I've had people tell me that an inhaler for their asthma also alleviates their gastric reflux or whatever other imaginary symptoms they have is ridiculous. It just has to do with a poor understanding of biology in general.

Daxon on
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    having Joanna describe the date to her roommate instead of exposition

yes, I know, I know, I have too much dialog as it is, but I think it's interesting

also her roommate is going to want her to dish as it is, and having that plus watching the date as it happens would be rather boring

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    daxon, should we get rid of all existing STD treatments because they might teach kids that sex has no consequences?

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    edited October 2010

Yeah, I guess. Just find a lot of stuff useless.

I am also highly suspect of medications that a prescribed especially ones where the mechanism of action is basically "fuck knows - but it seems to do something in the general direction of what we're trying to achieve".

I mean, it's probably valuable to research retroviruses in general. Gives processes of how to get your cells to accept DNA that isn't there's and not triggering defence systems and all that. It's just a "vaccine for HIV" seems like a useless struggle for something that's just not happening ever.

Unless we get magical nanobot vaccines that you can reprogram to target new versions of the virus at will.

I'm just not as optimistic as you guys all are when it comes to what science will discover. Like you folks that were insistent we might find the Culture - sorry guys, that's never fucking happening. Nor is scifi type FTL travel or any of that.

Video games I don't know what you're getting at.

This has nothing to do at all with what you were saying earlier. You're saying "we probably wont ever have the technology to develop a cure for AIDS" now whereas before you were saying "all a cure for AIDS will do is promote promiscuity and multiple partners and that's bad so we shouldn't even bother solving AIDS"

stevemarks44 on
  • Options
    TarranonTarranon Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I mean

we could get gonorrhea

haha

(i took this as a joke)

Tarranon on
    You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    aquarium: good second date?

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    terrible second date

everyone knows you don't a show a lady fish

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    manwolfpack

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    aquarium: good second date?

Awesome date if she's into fish. If she isn't, terrible date.

stevemarks44 on
  • Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    werewolf

STATE OF THE ART ROBOT on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    "have you ever considered the erotic potential of the octopus"

Elendil on
  • Options
    edited October 2010

elendil is all about japanese woodcuts

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I love how ambiguously awful this night is becoming:

2 hours ago:
    "It'll be late tonight"

2 seconds ago:
    "Get ready for a late one, kids."

Does that mean later than previously thought? Or the same?

stevemarks44 on
  • Options
    edited October 2010

elendil is all about japanese woodcuts

h-
    enta
    -i five! 8-)

stevemarks44 on