As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

You Startled the [Chat]!

• Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Sheep wrote: »
    Hamsters are never this cute. I've owned hamsters and they've never been this cute. They're always little furry assholes who make beds in the little habitrail pod that's supposed to be for pooping, and poop in the habitrail pod that supposed to be for food. Also they poop in the habitrail exercise dome and leave pee trails through all the habitrail tubes.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2010
    Feral wrote: »
    I mean, you might as well ask "Why can't Superman use his x-ray vision to look through a mile of lead?" Because he can't. "Why can't Wolverine's regenerative factor allow him to make copies of himself just by chopping off, like, an arm?" Because he can't. "Why couldn't Magneto just wander in to the White House, destroying all the tanks/guns/missiles in a 100 mile radius, and declare himself President?" Because he can't.

You do kind of have to accept some limitations to these characters' abilities or else there is no plot.

And thus why I despise many comics, TV shows, and movies.

Sheep on
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited October 2010
    I mean, you might as well ask "Why can't Superman use his x-ray vision to look through a mile of lead?" Because he can't. "Why can't Wolverine's regenerative factor allow him to make copies of himself just by chopping off, like, an arm?" Because he can't. "Why couldn't Magneto just wander in to the White House, destroying all the tanks/guns/missiles in a 100 mile radius, and declare himself President?" Because he can't.

You do kind of have to accept some limitations to these characters' abilities or else there is no plot.

I am almost positive the wolverine thing has actually happened

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Arch wrote: »
    also i have pretty much decided to start a blogspot blog wherein i discuss science and have evolution science debates

through the use of image macros and internet memes

i have already reserved the name

bi-LOL-ogy

I feel like 90% of science blogs are evolution ones that specifically target ID

as if through sheer massive blogitute scientists can put an end to creation "science"

they are

and also it is a matter of "hey if we let all the crazy ID guys have their blogs up and say crazy things, then soon we will have this be repeated FOREVER"

which is also why i said it will be about debating evolution science (which could mean ANYTHING) and also normal science

if i can figure out a way to phrase it in the context of an internet meme or an image macro, it will be on there

Arch on
  • Options
    DaxonDaxon Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Sarksus wrote: »
    I don't remember, does Laurie end up changing Dr. Manhattan's mind on Mars or was it just that he couldn't see how it would turn out?

She changes Manhattan's mind to never interfere again, and come back.

Although he knew she'd be doing this she still had to come and do it which is why he teleported her there.

Daxon on
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited October 2010

....because they ask you to make assumptions to make the story work?

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I don't like Ray Kurzweil. I don't agree with his view of the singularity.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    jacobkosh wrote: »

Next he'll complain about Wile E. Coyote never just buying food.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I'm kind of falling apart but if I hospitalize myself I won't get out for a while and I'm already struggling enough with school.

:(

take care of yourself, Cass. You're a cool lady and I want you to be well.

Thank you Jacob.

Dread Pirate Arbuthnot on
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited October 2010
    Wolvie once regenerated after being reduced to his adamantium skeleton. It was very, very silly. And doesn't even make sense.

Bogart on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010

He regenerated himself from a single drop of blood once.

That far exceeded my capacity for suspension of disbelief.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited October 2010
    Will might know off the top of his head what the average flight time is for an ICBM. But say it's half an hour. That's 1800 seconds. If Doctor Manhattan could stop missiles at the amazing rate of one every single second, that still is just a fraction of the total Soviet arsenal.

less than half an hour

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I'm kind of falling apart but if I hospitalize myself I won't get out for a while and I'm already struggling enough with school.

Thank you Jacob.

seriously cass you are like the coolest

Arch on
  • Options
    edited October 2010

Wait what? With his adamantium as well?

Daxon on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Bogart wrote: »
    Wolvie once regenerated after being reduced to his adamantium skeleton. It was very, very silly. And doesn't even make sense.

To be fair, he used to be much much much less over-the-top.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

God I hope not. I know he's been cloned.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Wolverine once regenerated from the sperm inside of a girl he fucked.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    edited October 2010

That's true, but it was a very specific situation. The drop of blood landed on a magical thingy that granted ultimate power, and so although wolvie was being gutted over there, the drop of blood regenerated him using the jewel's ultimate power.

So it's less silly than it sounds.

Except for the whole magical jewel of ultimate power thing.

Bogart on
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

Oh, when he went outside the shuttle? yeah, that was a bit much.

desc on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Daxon wrote: »

yes

Arch on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Daxon wrote: »

IIRC this was during the time when he didn't have his adamantium because Magneto ripped it out of his body.

(Which was cool when it happened.)

Edit: though I might be wrong

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    edited October 2010
    Well I certainly don't have a problem with a jewel of ultimate power.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2010

I tend to prefer at least some semblance of cohesion.

It's like with LOTR. Gandalf is a very finite creature. Sure, he's a God, but he's a God with flaws and Tolkien kept that consistent.

I just can't get past the mental block when a character is supposed to be X but then they have to limit him in situation where he shouldn't have a problem.

Kinda like how Heroes fucked itself and had to retcon characters

Sheep on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Incenjucar wrote: »

They did give a justification for this in the comics. he had the adamtium taken out of his body, and his natural healing factor, which had been held in check by the slow poisoning of the adamtium for years, suddenly ballooned in strength.

Bogart on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    oh i thought he had his skeleton at the time

i don't know it has been a while

Arch on
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

I remember the heady days of reading the Claremont/Miller Wolverine limited series as a wee lad. That was just about the right power level for him then.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Man, I don't deserve this job. Everyone's being all super understanding about me being gone for the last few days. Jesus.

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    One of the great things about the old X-Men comics, before Wolverine was the #8 most toyetic IP of the year or whatever, was that when he'd get fucked up in a fight he'd spend the next six or eight months real time gimping around in bandages and casts, bleeding everywhere after the slightest exertion.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    ResRes __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2010
    I'm not a scientist, but...

It seems to me like the most straight-forward way to overcome aging is to accomplish, and then perfect, a total central nervous system transplant. Even just the brain might suffice. If we could then perfect human cloning, we could theoretically, if that individual could afford it, cloning several sets of an individual, and then, when he needs a new body, just kill one and move his brain to it.

Obviously there's an issue if your body starts breaking down before one has reached maturity, but if you started early and don't have any abnormally early deadly hereditary diseases, that shouldn't happen. Also, obviously no surgical procedure is perfect and there would always be a chance that your brain might die during the operation. And then there's the issue of environmental diseases, and trauma, but those will likely always be problems to some degree.

So, you play a game of Russian roulette every forty, sixty years, whatever. Or, hell, twenty if you could afford the more regular start-up procedures for the next bodies and the fee for the surgery. Ideally, as you got older and wiser you would be exponentially more powerful and richer than lesser people in first generation bodies. Although, I guess unless we start moving into space soon, or the ocean there probably wouldn't be very many first generation people around after awhile. It would just be the same stagnant population, with a few new ones here and there due to population control issues. Maybe some sub-culture would decide it's cool to start actually awakening their growing bodies and letting them run around like real people. There'd probably be all kinds of crazy culture clash and ethical debates there. And if the population was more or less stagnant, it would probably organize itself into some wretched pyramid scheme, or network of pyramid schemes, with people who started this bullshit the earliest wresting control of the rest of the world with their decades or centuries of greater experience and accumulated wealth and power.

I got ideas.

Res on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Wolverine once regenerated from the spit on a sandwich he half-ate and then after regenerating he finished the sandwich.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010

And when Magneto does that, Prof X lobotomizes him. Soooooooo.

The superman thing is a because he can't, though.

Zampanov on
    r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    desc wrote: »

Oh, when he went outside the shuttle? yeah, that was a bit much.

No, post Civil War in his own title. Whatsisface who blew up the civilians to kick off Civil War exploded and reduced him, on panel, to his skeleton. A few panels later, Wolvie's back and going snikt.

Bogart on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

I tend to prefer at least some semblance of cohesion.

It's like with LOTR. Gandalf is a very finite creature. Sure, he's a God, but he's a God with flaws and Tolkien kept that consistent.

I just can't get past the mental block when a character is supposed to be X but then they have to limit him in situation where he shouldn't have a problem.

Kinda like how Heroes fucked itself and had to retcon characters

Gandalf is more of an angelic creature with a free-will

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    One of the great things about the old X-Men comics, before Wolverine was the #8 most toyetic IP of the year or whatever, was that when he'd get fucked up in a fight he'd spend the next six or eight months real time gimping around in bandages and casts, bleeding everywhere after the slightest exertion.

He was fucked up for about a solid year after Donald Pierce crucified him and the Reavers knocked him about.

Bogart on
  • Options
    ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010

They did give a justification for this in the comics. he had the adamtium taken out of his body, and his natural healing factor, which had been held in check by the slow poisoning of the adamtium for years, suddenly ballooned in strength.

yeah didn't magneto put it back because he's like "oh well fuck now he's a goddamn bullet made to kill me"

Zampanov on
    r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Arch wrote: »

Thank you Jacob.

seriously cass you are like the coolest

<3<3<3

:^:

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    edited October 2010

I rather liked that event.

Because Wolverine and Magneto had both been somewhat pussified over the years. Wolverine's inner conflict between his savagery and his family-oriented mentality had taken a back seat to him just being a bad-ass soldier; Magneto hadn't really been a villain in any substantive capacity in a long time.

Then Magneto goes and does something really, really fucked up to remind us that yes, this guy is not nice and Wolverine goes back to struggling with his animal instincts.

I kind of liked it.

I did stop reading not long after that, though.

Feral on

• Options
    edited October 2010
    Zampanov wrote: »

And when Magneto does that, Prof X lobotomizes him. Soooooooo.

The superman thing is a because he can't, though.

Surely magneto couldn't get leverage to pull the adamantium out of wolverine.

Like if he pulled it towards himself the rest of Wolverine's body would just follow with.

Makes no sense.

[/nerd]

Daxon on
  • Options
    ResRes __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2010
    How have you guys not mentioned Wolverine literally fighting with the Grim Reaper over his life thing yet? Or did I miss that?

Res on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    251-1.jpg

Jacobkosh on
This discussion has been closed.