As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Sometimes Books Are Turned Into Things that Move...

• Options
    Witch_Hunter_84Witch_Hunter_84 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Hathaway as Catwoman and either Knightly, Lively, or Watts as Vicky Vale (Those are the roles I'm guessing the women are being cast for).

Witch_Hunter_84 on
    If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten in your presence.
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Vicki Vale's pretty much just a Lois Lane ripoff, isn't she? I wouldn't expect Nolan to use her.

Maybe he could use Sasha Bordeaux, though? The bodyguard thing provides a reason for her to have more than a passing involvement in Wayne's life, and her personality and skills separate her from the typical superhero love interests.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I thought Modok's all ages acronym was Only for Combat , thought conquest was pulled outta nowhere is why I was irked, never seen conquest used in all ages, just combat( and the original computing)

WiseManTobes on
    Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    GreenGreen Stick around. I'm full of bad ideas.Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    So I just found out about a possible The Boys movie in the works

Wondering how exactly they plan to market this

Green on
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Green wrote: »
    So I just found out about a possible The Boys movie in the works

Wondering how exactly they plan to market this

Hughie better be played by Simon Pegg if he can do the scottish accent.

And whoever plays the butcher should be dubbed by Michael Caine.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Just finished the Superman/Shazam film, or rather the series of shorts that comprise it. Pretty good the first two showcases/episodes I must say. The latter two, meh, not so much.
    The Shazam and Specter episodes were pretty cool. They really hit the mark with Billy Batson's character and the Spectre was a cool noir detective/vengful supernatural short. My only beef is that they re-used the Green Arrow and Jonah Hex showcases from previous films. The Green Arrow saving the child-queen from the Superman/Batman: Apocalypse dvd and the Jonah Hex short from the Batman: Under the Red Hood dvd. It seemed kind of cheap and lazy that they would just reuse the same material to fill in the required dvd time rather than just spend the extra time making two new animations to put in the movie. I would have waited, I think we all would have happily waited.

Edit: Was the Spectre also on Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths? If so my opinion of the dvd drops another point.

Witch_Hunter_84 on
  • Options
    MastaPMastaP Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Just finished the Superman/Shazam film, or rather the series of shorts that comprise it. Pretty good the first two showcases/episodes I must say. The latter two, meh, not so much.
    The Shazam and Specter episodes were pretty cool. They really hit the mark with Billy Batson's character and the Spectre was a cool noir detective/vengful supernatural short. My only beef is that they re-used the Green Arrow and Jonah Hex showcases from previous films. The Green Arrow saving the child-queen from the Superman/Batman: Apocalypse dvd and the Jonah Hex short from the Batman: Under the Red Hood dvd. It seemed kind of cheap and lazy that they would just reuse the same material to fill in the required dvd time rather than just spend the extra time making two new animations to put in the movie. I would have waited, I think we all would have happily waited.

Spectre is from Crisis on Two Earths. ONLY Superman/Shazam is new.

MastaP on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Ugh, not worth a buy then. Maybe a rental, but that's stretching it in my opinion. The animation was pretty good and the fight choreography was awesome if I may say though.

Witch_Hunter_84 on
  • Options
    cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    TexiKen wrote: »
    6 women enter, 4 leave sad

Nolan has 6 womens lined up for two roles in Batman Rising, one the love interest, the other a possible villain. They be:

Rachel Weisz
    Naomi Watts
    Blake Lively
    Natalie Portman
    Anne Hathaway
    Keira Knightley

Lively, can't see that since she's in GL (same thing with Portman and Thor). Hathaway would be nice to see as the villain because she never plays a bad girl. And maybe Weisz?

Maybe they'll go with Talia Al Ghul, seeing as it would tie in with Batman Begins and round out the trilogy. That's my hope.

cardboard delusions on
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Yeah, I think Talia works much better in the Nolan verse than Catwoman would.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Yeah, Nolan's Batman wouldn't dedicate himself to stopping museum thefts or high-rise robberies.

On the other hand, Talia needs some kind of hook to separate her from Ra's, as Ra's himself wasn't a very interesting villain.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Maybe she is a love interest, or Batman has a son!

cardboard delusions on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Yeah, the one thing that was missing from the Ra's/Batman relationship was sexual tension.
    I don't want to kiss you... but I don't have to stop you from kissing me.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Yeah, the one thing that was missing from the Ra's/Batman relationship was sexual tension.

HAWTT.

Wildcat on
  • Options
    WishpigWishpig Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Wildcat wrote: »

HAWTT.

OH BOY! FAN FICTION TIME!

I'll call it

Black Tights, White Hole, Tight Ra'ss

Wishpig on
    WARNING: Picture below may cause spontaneous growth of facial hair and/or body hair.
    622545-8-1261525714230.jpg

Image by Sharpwriter on deviantart.com
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I'm still hoping for Catwoman. I think it will be her because Nolan is casting two women for both the love interest and the villain. Talia sort of fills both roles.

Witch_Hunter_84 on
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Geebs shut down our fan-fiction thread, so the tales of Ra's and Bruce's passion will never see the light of day. A shame.

Did I say a shame? I meant to say thank fuck for that.

Solar on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    He could also take some liberties with Catwoman and make her a vigilante.

Or stay true to her characterization, but make Bruce ambivalent about stopping a villain who exclusively targets possessions instead of people.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Solar wrote: »
    Geebs shut down our fan-fiction thread, so the tales of Ra's and Bruce's passion will never see the light of day. A shame.

Did I say a shame? I meant to say thank fuck for that.

But I've been working so hard!

Bruce ever so gently ran his finger down Ra's silver path of coarse hair. Bruce's tongue slowly followed the trail his finger had blazed, until the tip ever so gently lapped at his foe-turned-lover's earlobe. Then, he whispered to Al Ghul, "just promise not to leave me... I can't go through that again... not after Robin. I don't want to hurt anymore."

With a sudden grunt Ra's grabbed a tuft of Bruce's hair, and yanked the startled heroes head back until they were face to face, but still close enough to feel the warm caress of one another's breath. "Oh bat-bitch... it's gonna hurt. It's gonna hurt allot."

Bruce couldn't contain his smile.

Awwwww yeah...

EDIT- Did I go to far... I went to far.

Wishpig on
    WARNING: Picture below may cause spontaneous growth of facial hair and/or body hair.

• Options
    edited November 2010
    What I meant is that you can't give Talia the same motive and methods as Ra's and expect her to be more interesting just because she's a love interest as well. There needs to be an interesting distinction between her an Ra's, which may be difficult since they're tied up with the same organization and pursue their goals in similar fashions (by throwing ninjas at Batman).

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    What I meant is that you can't give Talia the same motive and methods as Ra's and expect her to be more interesting just because she's a love interest as well. There needs to be an interesting distinction between her an Ra's, which may be difficult since they're tied up with the same organization and pursue their goals in similar fashions (by throwing ninjas at Batman).

I can't see Talia as a love interest any more, she's done some pretty fucked up things seemingly with no guilt at all. She basically raped Bats remember. But I agree that she needs that distinction, in fact especially because she's essentially gone past the point where Bats should be considering her as anything but a full on villain.

In fact, I never got that. Talia has had people killed. She breaks the law, the Al'Ghul's are a house of assassins. Why doesn't he bring her the fuck down?

Solar on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    After Batman & Robin, I see Talia as more of a Damien rogue now. Bruce already has Ra's, after all, and Damien's connection to Talia is much stronger than Bruce's.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    After Batman & Robin, I see Talia as more of a Damien rogue now. Bruce already has Ra's, after all, and Damien's connection to Talia is much stronger than Bruce's.

Yeah that could work really well actually.

Solar on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Green Lantern footage. We can all rest easy, knowing there's a giant green fist.

Seriously though, something about all this looks off. Kind of cheap and hokey, like how I'd expect a superhero movie from 2000 to look. But, it is a really small amount of footage.

Munch on
  • Options
    Silver_MageSilver_Mage Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Oh god. This trailer frightens me. The CG just looks so...obvious. Please let the full trailer look better.

Silver_Mage on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    It's all very Sci-Fi Channel Original Movie looking. The outfit in particular clashes with Reynolds' human features and looks as thought it's floating in front of him, not being worn by him. Is this supposed to be final footage?

Even if it's meant to be, I wouldn't be surprised if test audiences caused them to revamp the effects as much as they can.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited November 2010

i would watch a liam neeson/christian bale hardcore sex tape

heck, add in gary oldman

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    No one thought that the two women being cast are playing the same role at different points in time? The character could be a former love interest and now currently a villain.

cardboard delusions on
  • Options
    noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    No one thought that the two women being cast are playing the same role at different points in time? The character could be a former love interest and now currently a villain.

Considering that all the actresses seem to be the same age, that doesn't make sense. Also, it's nice to see that the GL costume looks to have more black than their first showing.

noir_blood on
  • Options
    RansRans Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    the green lantern footage has me cautiously optimistic

i agree that there is something up with the CGI... maybe not wrong, but not perfect. however, the entire movie is about superheroes that create gigantic green constructs from nothing so the in your face CGI was inevitable.

Rans on
  • Options
    HtownHtown Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    the constructs aren't the problem in the footage.

Htown on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    That costume, it doesn't look right. I guess the closest to compare it to would be the FF costumes (full body, tight fitting but different colors and not CGI), but it clearly stands out compared to everything else on screen, and not in a good way.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I won't lie... I'm hoping Green Lantern sucks. Every superhero flick that does worse then Thor, will make my favorite Norse hero look that much better.

Wishpig on

• Options
    HtownHtown Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    That's dumb.

Why not, instead, hope that Thor is really good?

Htown on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited November 2010
    HD version of the Green Lantern footage

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hV1FQoEkXcI&feature=player_embedded

I think it looks fine

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Htown wrote: »
    That's dumb.

Why not, instead, hope that Thor is really good?

It's not dumb... I want Thor to stand out and I couldn't care less about Green Lantern. I'm cheering for my team!

This summer is going to be an insane clash of superhero films volleying for attention. Thor doesn't have the massive fan base of characters like Spider-Man or Wolverine, and Thor is at risk of being lost in the shuffle.

This is it for the Thor franchise. This movie will most likely either cement him in his current somewhat limited popularity, or it could jump start the franchise like what the Ironman did. So Thor can't afford to be lost amidst the summer movies, Thor needs to stand out.

And to stand out Thor needs to be better then the competition. So I'm hoping everyother damn superhero film coming out sucks so Thor can smell like roses. If it's generally considered the best superhero film of the summer it will do wonders for my fav character.

I'm a pessimist so I say Thor's chances of being the only superhero movie to not suck over the summer is higher then the chances to be super uber amazing.

Wishpig on

• Options
    edited November 2010
    Wishpig wrote: »
    And to stand out Thor needs to be better then the competition. So I'm hoping everyother damn superhero film coming out sucks so Thor can smell like roses. If it's generally considered the best superhero film of the summer it will do wonders for my fav character.

Being "better than the competition" doesn't mean "being better than the movies that are out at the same time"

If every other superhero movie coming out at the same time sucks (which they probably won't) and Thor is mediocre (which probably won't be), guess what. Thor would still be a mediocre movie.

Htown is 100% correct in saying that what you're saying is dumb and if you honestly believe what you're saying then you're pretty dumb, too

Hoping that things suck instead of hoping that everything's great just because you want a sense of fanboy entitlement is super stupid

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I don't like the movie version of the GL costume, but I'll see it for Ryan Reynolds - he hasn't steered me wrong yet. Yes, I even liked Definitely Maybe.

Thor looks like it'll be an amazing movie, I doubt you have to worry about it doing well.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    jqj8d2.jpg

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Keith wrote: »
    Wishpig wrote: »

Being "better than the competition" doesn't mean "being better than the movies that are out at the same time"

If every other superhero movie coming out at the same time sucks (which they probably won't) and Thor is mediocre (which probably won't be), guess what. Thor would still be a mediocre movie.

Htown is 100% correct in saying that what you're saying is dumb and if you honestly believe what you're saying then you're pretty dumb, too

Hoping that things suck instead of hoping that everything's great just because you want a sense of fanboy entitlement is super stupid

No need to go into name calling... you think how I feel is dumb, fine, but don't call me personally dumb. Unless you've never been wrong in your life. Then you have the privilege of doing that. Something tells me that ain't the case though.

Listen it's all one big competition, movies, Marvel vs DC, what franchises live and die. Cutting out the competition is a pretty fucking basic concept. Hardly a "dumb" one either.

The worst case scenario is Thor's movie sucks. It is bashed, left in the dust by the better superhero films (and just other films out in general), and because of such the franchise goes nowhere but backwards.

Best case scenario Thor's movie is awesome and gets great recognition and sales.

Most likely scenario Thor's movie is just ok. In which case marvel's pushing of the Thor franchise will be in danger.

Thor isn't a widely popular character. He can't make money off of his name alone like Wolverine. Having just an OK movie that doesn't stand out amongst other films of the summer will lead to utter failure. The more movies equal or better in quality the more trouble for Thor. The more movies that are worse then Thor the better for Thor.

Say Thor gets an unimpressive 70% on rottentomatoes and earned a decent amount of money. Say Green Lantern got a 50% and made considerably less.

Sure Thor may not be fantastic, but fuck, did better then Green Lantern. Higher ups do take that shit into account, how it held up against rivals.

Ohhhhh looking back... I think your misunderstanding me. I'm not talking JUST the movie here. If it's a mediocre film it is indeed a mediocre film. No, I'm talking BIG picture. The success of the franchise. If Thor fails as a movie, the future of his franchise being carried outside of the avengers is at risk. Like I said many times, he isn't that popular, his future success really does rely on this movie.

This has nothing to do with fanboy entitlement, this has everything to do with me looking at every bit and piece that could keep the franchise from drowning if the movie isn't great. Just doing better then the rest is one of those little bits.

Wishpig on