As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Mount and Blade:Warband-X Mod better than Y Mod- Z Mod okay

• DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    If you have a castle, throw them in their as a garrison, they won't desert.

Docshifty on
  • GalielmusGalielmus Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    MrDelish wrote: »
    so, is loot supposed to be non-existent in Blood and Steel? I defeated several lords and King Yaroglek at once and got zero items

The Looting skill is vital for this, I think. I tend to get quite a few items every battle, regardless of size, and my Looting skill is about 7 or so.

That plus trade keeps me wealthy enough to afford ridiculously large armies without even owning any property yet.

Galielmus on
  • ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Morkath wrote: »
    Aegis wrote: »
    Fuck the Fiederstain, fuck them. New PoP game, trying to go for someone different than Empire this time and I figure axe-wielders are good.

Except you recruit Recruits, which are basically nothing more than a peasant with an axe. And they upgrade to Militia, which are basically nothing more than a peasant with a bigger axe. And they upgrade to either Improved Militia (hooray, now they're farmers with shields) or Hunters.

And then you find out that the local bandits that roam the wilderness are Vienskarry Raiders/Warriors who are kind of like the Fiederstain except with much more ass kicking. This is the 3rd or 4th time that I've been captured prisoner, after having my 25-30 strong armies destroyed by forces ranging from 15 to 20 if 2-3 groups of 7-10 decide they want to team up to beat my ass down. I can't just outrecruit them because those bands aren't scared of my piddly ass recoloured villagers (they aren't, I've been chased down by a group of 10 when I had three times their number of shitty troops). And I can't run away because for some strange bloody reason, even with 4 pathfinding at my low level these raider fuckers move like the goddamn wind. Heaven forbid a band of Outlawed Adventurers wanders by, in which case I'm just outright fucked.

I think I picked the wrong side to start with :(

I would just recommend using the troop xp cheat for PoP. It doesn't flag the cheating crap, and makes the game actually fun when you have decent troops.

we should compile a list of which cheats work;

So far we have;

Ctrl-X on troop screen to give them xp
    Ctrl-Click on map to teleport
    Import character

Tweaks work. Tweaks are the only "cheating" I ever use, just because I find the morale system to be pretty backwards so I tweak leadership to always give me more than I need. And if I was the sort to work for some other faction, I'd probably tweak the "who do I give fiefs to" equation.

Scooter on
    edited December 2010
    MrDelish wrote: »
    so, is loot supposed to be non-existent in Blood and Steel? I defeated several lords and King Yaroglek at once and got zero items

Basically. Your main source of income in B&S is slaves, you get a ton more than in normal (a certain % are captured even if you didn't use blunt weapons), and I think he cut back a lot on loot to counter it.

Scooter on
  • Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    How is the morale system backwards?

Phoenix-D on
  • bamjobamjo Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Xtarath wrote: »
    bamjo wrote: »
    Man, I wish they would spend more time making their mod work with warband and less time being the fun police. Just sayin.

Uh, it does work with warband.

Not really. There are some showstopping bugs involving companion missions, not to mention the balance is all out of whack. It feels like an incomplete port. There are all sorts of crashes that they claim are ATI card related, never mind that it worked fine under M&B 1.011.

bamjo on
  • ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Xtarath wrote: »
    Man, I wish they would spend more time making their mod work with warband and less time being the fun police. Just sayin.

Uh, it does work with warband.

Not really. There are some showstopping bugs involving companion missions, not to mention the balance is all out of whack. It feels like an incomplete port. There are all sorts of crashes that they claim are ATI card related, never mind that it worked fine under M&B 1.011.

The funny thing is that the "ATI card crashes" are happening with NVidia cards too. They just won't admit it.

I guess it's easier to throw bugs off on someone else then it is to fix them yourself, but, eh. Not exactly encouraging me to play their mod there.

Archonex on
  • WaldoWaldo Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Question: For starting off playing warband, should I just use native with tweakMB? Or since I've played a decent amount of the original game (with varying mods, mostly 1866 and PoP), will i be bored with that and move right into something else (like diplomacy to start or BnS if I want something with bigger changes)?

Also does tweakMB not allow changing of battle size? I don't see it listed, so I guess the way to do it is used the battle size changer, uh, thing along with tweakMB for everything else like that?

Waldo on
    Senjutsu wrote: »
    when I was younger I had a drinking problem

now I just have drinking solutions
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/weeman3
  • korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I suggest a tweaked Native, maybe with an imported character, for a few hours just to get adjusted to the changed controls and new animations, especially for horseback combat.

If you're sick to death of Native and its factions, you may not want to go into Diplomacy, unless it's drastically changed since I last played it. It was pretty much a Native expansion and not a total conversion as such.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • bamjobamjo Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    TweakMB will get rid of a lot of the vanilla annoyances. Diplomacy still feels a lot like vanilla. They didn't change the factions, combat, or items. But they did add a lot to the end game mechanics, and streamlined recruiting so that running a large kingdom is not so much of a hassle. I think of diplomacy as native+.

BnS changes the game down to its roots, as does EatRC, so those are better if you want something different.

Battle size can be increased to 150 in the options, anything bigger needs the battlesizer utility.

bamjo on
  • MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2010
    korodullin wrote: »
    I suggest a tweaked Native, maybe with an imported character, for a few hours just to get adjusted to the changed controls and new animations, especially for horseback combat.

If you're sick to death of Native and its factions, you may not want to go into Diplomacy, unless it's drastically changed since I last played it. It was pretty much a Native expansion and not a total conversion as such.

God I hate the new horseback melee animations. I can't hit shit anymore.

Morkath on
  • AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I think I solved my Fierdsvain problem. I just moved north to Ravenstern and assembled an army of archers. There's something satisfying in seeing a cavalry charge barrelling towards you and then all of the horses suddenly fall to the ground in succession as a million accurate arrows blanket the sky.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

I used to be the Lord of Headtaking on a horse.

In Warband I've figured out how to hit things that are touching my horse as I run by.

half the time the horse ends up stopping in its tracks for whatever reason.

So now I just act like a Nord and use a giant two handed axe.

MechMantis on
  • stopgapstopgap Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    so... i think i am beginning to suffer some very high levels of irritation at my most gracious liege lord. I have taken 2 fucking cities... ONE OF THEM BY MYSELF, and what does he do? hey there i'm going to give those cities you just took to some other asshole. on the plus side, I have 2 castles close to each other atm.

stopgap on
    steam_sig.png
    edited December 2010
    stopgap wrote: »
    so... i think i am beginning to suffer some very high levels of irritation at my most gracious liege lord. I have taken 2 fucking cities... ONE OF THEM BY MYSELF, and what does he do? hey there i'm going to give those cities you just took to some other asshole. on the plus side, I have 2 castles close to each other atm.

I pledged to the Nords so I could start harassing the Vaegirs without being isolated. Of course, he couldn't give me a fief. I told him no worries, I'll work for you anyways.

Take a castle by myself, request it. King Ragnar says sorry no can do...and proceeds to give it to himself. Then he tosses 900 denar my way and says get over it?

You are so going to be the first to go down, sir...

Docshifty on
  • Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Docshifty wrote: »
    stopgap wrote: »

I pledged to the Nords so I could start harassing the Vaegirs without being isolated. Of course, he couldn't give me a fief. I told him no worries, I'll work for you anyways.

Take a castle by myself, request it. King Ragnar says sorry no can do...and proceeds to give it to himself. Then he tosses 900 denar my way and says get over it?

You are so going to be the first to go down, sir...

history-of-the-world-part-i.jpg

I think you know what I'm trying to say.

Toxic Pickle on
  • korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Is it just me, or can nobody else see the orders/minimap you can bring up with Backspace in PoP for Warband?

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
    edited December 2010
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    How is the morale system backwards?

For starters, companions give a negative morale bonus. I can only assume this is meant to limit the number of companions you have (much like the very annoying system where they all hate twice as many people as they like). Most you can do there is make it zero, you can't make it positive. Other is where you need to be fighting, like, every single day. In real life that would tire dudes the fuck out and they'd get pissed off that their life expectancy was like a month. If I'm winning a major battle every week, I don't see why that shouldn't be enough.

For me the minimap only seems to break when I pause for a bit or tab out.

Scooter on
  • SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I have cleaned up the OP just a little bit, added recommendations for PoP EatRC and Blood and Steel

SkutSkut on
  • Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Archonex wrote: »
    The funny thing is that the "ATI card crashes" are happening with NVidia cards too. They just won't admit it.

I guess it's easier to throw bugs off on someone else then it is to fix them yourself, but, eh. Not exactly encouraging me to play their mod there.

Even better is I have a 5770 and PoP hasn't crashed once on me, after a good 4 or 5 hours of play.
    Aegis wrote: »
    I think I solved my Fierdsvain problem. I just moved north to Ravenstern and assembled an army of archers. There's something satisfying in seeing a cavalry charge barrelling towards you and then all of the horses suddenly fall to the ground in succession as a million accurate arrows blanket the sky.

I love the Ravenstern Rangers so much. I'd really hate to have to charge my line.

I've adjusted to them, but the thing I hate, and I don't know if it's related to my attack direction setting (probably), is I'll have a swing ready to go, and right before I get to them, he suddenly holds it above his head or something, causing me to miss completely.
    Is it just me, or can nobody else see the orders/minimap you can bring up with Backspace in PoP for Warband?

I've been using the minimap quite a bit with PoP.

Sir Carcass on
  • XtarathXtarath Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I like that the picture for the Sarranid Sultanate looks like they are a bunch of falcons.

This is a good thing.

Xtarath on
  • L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    sarranid AI armies usually have the worst composition, in my experience

all killing all their skirmishers in 10 seconds then a single mamluke takes 5 minutes to die

annoying in sieges with all the jarids though

L|ama on
  • AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010

I've been using the minimap quite a bit with PoP.

There's a slight bug from what I can tell where the backspace minimap will disappear while in combat. It only seems to consistently happen if you bring up any other sort of menu during combat. For instance, it'll always show up if you've only been hitting backspace, but as soon as you hit C to check your character sheet or something and try to hit backspace again, the minimap/orders won't show up again until you enter a new combat. At least, that's been my experience with it.

Aegis on
    Characters
    edited December 2010
    Hmmm...playing on No Quitting without Saving is making me alot more cautious than I normally do. Been scoping out castles and think I have one I'd like to take (location isn't great mind you), but I'm not sure. Should I try attacking a 150 strong D'Shar keep, that currently houses ~30 archers? I'm sporting a 90 strong army, 55 of that archers and 2/3s of those Ravenstern Rangers with the rest being Wardens, so I'm fairly confident I'd obliterate their archers. I just normally don't like attacking the D'Shar given their predilection for annoying calvalry and those fucking melee troops.

Aegis on
    Characters
  • The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I don't know why I can't seem to do good in this game.

I always get captured of get stuck on the wrong end of a siege. I hate hate hate hate the fact that as soon as you get knocked out the game forces you to lose the fucking battle.

I mean really theres 30 of you and only 4 of them left how the hell did I still get captured, I didn't realize that all my units are so shitty and I can never keep them long enough to train them.

The Cow King on
    icGJy2C.png
  • AgahnimAgahnim Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    A friend showed me this and I'm pretty interested. I'm a magic junky though, so I dismissed it at first due to it's realism. Now that I know you can mod the game though, I am very eager to give it a try. Is there a definitive magic mod out there that doesn't screw with the rest of the game/continuity/whatever? Something that adds spells to the main character but doesn't add unicorns and minotaurs and stuff?

Agahnim on
    2.jpg
    3DS FC: 2148-8300-8608 WiiU: AgahnimD
  • MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2010
    Agahnim wrote: »
    A friend showed me this and I'm pretty interested. I'm a magic junky though, so I dismissed it at first due to it's realism. Now that I know you can mod the game though, I am very eager to give it a try. Is there a definitive magic mod out there that doesn't screw with the rest of the game/continuity/whatever? Something that adds spells to the main character but doesn't add unicorns and minotaurs and stuff?

There's a wheel of time mod, I think it adds some minor fantasy stuff like the trollocs.

There was a magic mod that just added magic, but I am not sure if it got ported to warband.

Morkath on
  • SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    PoP has elves and magic weapons and such.

SkutSkut on
  • NoquarNoquar Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I don't know why I can't seem to do good in this game.

I always get captured of get stuck on the wrong end of a siege. I hate hate hate hate the fact that as soon as you get knocked out the game forces you to lose the fucking battle.

I mean really theres 30 of you and only 4 of them left how the hell did I still get captured, I didn't realize that all my units are so shitty and I can never keep them long enough to train them.

I don't have that issue. If you are pressing tab the moment you get knocked out, you will lose the fight. Try getting knocked out and touching nothing - your crew should fight on.

Noquar on
    edited December 2010
    The fight only continues in certain mods.

Vanilla really only exists as a tutorial, anyways, M&B's all about the mods

Scooter on
    edited December 2010
    SkutSkut wrote: »
    PoP has elves and magic weapons and such.

The elves are mostly just dicks and the magic weapons are essentially just extra stat modifiers on weapons, no special effects or anything.

Also, stupid D'Shar. I can't even try and take over the 140 man keep because it takes me 3 days to build siege towers and within 1-2 days I have 2 armies barelling towards me, every time who then turn away as soon as I abandon the siege. Because it's not like the D'Shar are at war with the Empire or anything (they are) and could try and fight them instead. And it's not like the Empire isn't just sitting on their ass and not even fighting (they aren't). Stupid factions.

Aegis on
    Characters
  • GalagaGalaxianGalagaGalaxian Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Well, so much for that cRPG thing. The person running it just shut it down after being DDoS'd and not wanting to deal with it.

GalagaGalaxian on
    Remember the compliments you receive, forget the insults; if you succeed in doing this, tell me how.
  • WaldoWaldo Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    It makes me real sad that warband crashes while loading if I use tweakMB to try to allow battles to continue after I get knocked out. Is this a common problem?

EDIT: In vanilla so far.

Also, if I want to import my character to play in diplomacy, how would I do that?

Waldo on
    Senjutsu wrote: »
    when I was younger I had a drinking problem

now I just have drinking solutions
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/weeman3
  • AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I took a castle and its accompanying village from the Sarranids, who then made peace with me a day later because I guess they are lazy. After a while the Khergits declared war on me, which was troubling until I discovered that if you attack a lord who is raiding a village, in the battle you will all have your horses and the enemy won't. Needless to say, the Khergits are total wimps without their horses and that village has been a meatgrinder for months now.

Aistan on
  • SrazekSrazek Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    SkutSkut wrote: »
    I have cleaned up the OP just a little bit, added recommendations for PoP EatRC and Blood and Steel

You should add AD 1257 to the recommended Warband mods. There's a reason it's the second most active behind PoP; it's rather fun. Instead of being set in a world that alludes to medieval Europe, it actually is set in medieval Europe.

It's still in .95 beta, and has A LOT of scripting, but it includes things like better diplomacy and Enhanced environments.

The AI for receiving castles and such seems better too, to me... I currently have 3 cites (Nantes (in france) York and London.) 3 castles, and my original fief. One castle I didn't even ask for. The other two I did. I'm pretty sure if I asked for another city I would get it - but I'm so rolling in cash from that income and all the businesses i set up in my trip down to Jerusalem (To help with some righteous Crusading) that I don't know what the point would be. My income sustains an army of 100 knights, garrisons of 150-200 for each property and the treasury is OVERFLOWING.

But I am on day 385. Interestingly for me, this is farther than I have ever gotten, in any mod, including original M&B.

The marshal's AI seems better as well - The first Marshall managed to conquer Ireland and half of England without me pulling my hair out trying to manipulate the Lords into doing what was strategically right. (WHY ARE YOU CHASING BANDITS, BRISTOL IS DOWN TO ONLY 100 MEN AFTER REPULSING SOME ANGRY FRENCHMEN GO THERE, GO THERE NOW ARGHH)

Srazek on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited December 2010
    So I checked out that mod posted above.

Turns out AD has [strike]24[/strike] 28 factions in it. And it models both Europe and a good portion of the middle east. Also, it does away with the top tier troop crap that tends to ruin the challenge of the MnB end-game.

Holy shit. Might actually need to try this.

Archonex on
    edited December 2010
    So I checked out that mod posted above.

Turns out AD has 24 factions in it. And it models both Europe and a good portion of the middle east. Also, it does away with the top tier troop crap that tends to ruin the challenge of the MnB end-game.

Holy shit. Might actually need to try this.

I liked it, except I kept getting crashes and lockups(earliest it happened was attacking the robbers during the tutorial quest) so I moved on.

Docshifty on
    edited December 2010
    There's apparently a hotfix out that you can apply that fixes the CTD's, according to their forums.

Also, their forums aren't filled with anal retentive asshats who refuse to help other players, like some of the other mod communities are, which is definitely a bonus in my book.

Edit: Also, apparently, every noble troop comes with it's own unique insignia and outfit, to demonstrate that they're part of a noble house.

I'm wondering how they did that. That seems like alot of work.

Archonex on
    edited December 2010
    There's apparently a hotfix out that you can apply that fixes the CTD's, according to their forums.

Also, their forums aren't filled with anal retentive asshats who refuse to help other players, like some of the other mod communities are, which is definitely a bonus in my book.

Edit: Also, apparently, every noble troop comes with it's own unique insignia and outfit, to demonstrate that they're part of a noble house.

I'm wondering how they did that. That seems like alot of work.

Got a link? All I managed to find was a hotfix to address crashes because of some item, a crash that never happened to me, so that wasn't what I needed.

Docshifty on
    edited December 2010
    I've got a link, but apparently the forums are down for a daily backup.

Here it is anyways.

http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,110470.0.html

Archonex on