As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I am the man who arranges the [chat]!

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Until a black man breaks through the highest glass ceiling in the immortal pantheon of the Old Gods, we can never heal from the decades of slavery and bigotry.

Cthulhu is totally black.

Couscous on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    look at the big picture

the one with the million n words in it

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Couscous wrote: »
    Until a black man breaks through the highest glass ceiling in the immortal pantheon of the Old Gods, we can never heal from the decades of slavery and bigotry.

Cthulhu is totally black.

You're just saying that because he eats people. That's racist.

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    FroThulhuFroThulhu Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    FroThulhu wrote: »
    Senjutsu wrote: »
    The only thing "odd" about a black Heimdall is that in a movie where the Norse are made into alien space vikings and Thor is turned from a boozing son of a bitch into an Australian paragon of truth, justice, and the american way, people are stuck on the "inaccuracy" of the one black guy

Ok.

I'm about to offer an apology for getting worked up over this. Here I go.

I'm sorry, [chat].

D:

As a theatre major, who is black, one of my Last Straws was when I was passed over for a black role. The role was given to a Samoan. Race was a very big part of the role... Like... half of the plot centered on it.

FroThulhu on
  • Options
    WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Organichu wrote: »
    strongly considering punching my uncle in the face

still surprises me how you've never struck your sister

it is infuriating

like, i don't want to talk to him about race

duh!

made that clear to him a million times- "hey mike, i don't think we'll ever agree on this"

so he comes in today and goes

HEY, GUESS WHO I HAD TO INTERACT WITH TODAY

THREE N*****S

AND GUESS WHICH ONES WERE EITHER INCOMPETENT, RUDE, OR BOTH

ALL THREE N*****S

ONE N****R AT THE POST OFFICE

ONE N****R AT THE DOLLAR STORE

ONE N****R IN A RESTAURANT

me: ok, we're not going to agree on this, it's pretty pointless to keep hammering it

WELL YOU MIGHT THINK I'M RACIST, BUT WHAT IT COMES DOWN TO IS MAYBE NOT EVERY N****R IS BAD, BUT 999,999 OUT OF 1,000,000 ARE. I LOOK AT THE BIG PICTURE AND OBSERVE THE PEOPLE I SEE, I FEEL LIKE I'M THE ONLY ONE WHO LOOKS AT EVERYTHING

ugh

oh my god

one of these days he's gonna get his fucking teeth knocked out

If I ever meet your uncle I might try to kill him with a hammer.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    There's a snow storm in Australia today?

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited December 2010
    Organichu, please tell us about kibbutz

y'all should have come to me first

now i will clutch the knowledge to mein chest

Organichu on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

Nah that's just a bunch of white people riding the bus.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Senju, thanks for reminding me exactly why I hate discussions on this board sometimes.

I'm sure it's quite the unpleasant experience for you.

Its like people are incapable of reasoned and measured debate.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    BamaBama Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    oh shit will brought out the mod text

Bama on
  • Options
    edited December 2010

That's okay, I'll just operate on my current understanding, borne of rumor and hearsay.

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Senju, thanks for reminding me exactly why I hate discussions on this board sometimes.

I'm sure it's quite the unpleasant experience for you.

Its like people are incapable of reasoned and measured debate.

I see what you did there.

Let's put down the passive aggression and go our separate ways like grown ups, shall we?

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Preacher wrote: »

Nah that's just a bunch of white people riding the bus.

I was gonna make a joke about Australian Thor lol.

But, this... it's terrible. And I feel like I should be lumped-in with Senj's uncle. Because I chuckled.

FroThulhu on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Olivia Wilde is an impressive human being.

She lived in a school bus on Venice beach with an Italian prince she eventually married, and sounds more intelligent in interviews than most actresses her age.

Yeah like people enjoy her as an actress because of her intelligence. "She's just so deep man."

I honestly didn't get what people saw in her until I saw Tron. She was attractive, yes, but the way some guys talk about her, you'd think she was Venus come down to earth. At that point it was like okay maybe I need to rethink my stance on this woman. Then I listened to some of her interviews and she sounds, I dunno, intelligent and cool and interesting. She isn't the greatest actress, but she's a very intriguing human being as far as I'm concerned.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2010

That's okay, I'll just operate on my current understanding, borne of rumor and hearsay.

so basically the understanding where 340 bearded hebrews perform circumcisions on one another all day long and sew each other's foreskin's on each other's genitals, like so many adorable, fashionable accessories

Organichu on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Bama wrote: »
    oh shit will brought out the mod text

can't be

wasn't in comic sans

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Chu's uncle sounds like the kind of guy I'd like to cuff to a table like an interrogation room at a police station and attempt to converse with until the frothing stopped and the person had to actually confront the disparity between their professed beliefs and reality

or until I got tired of it and knocked their teeth in

Bama on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

so basically the understanding where 340 bearded hebrews perform circumcisions on one another all day long and sew each other's foreskin's on each other's genitals, like so many adorable, fashionable accessories

this is possibly the worst post in human history

I feel dirty

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I shall now demonstrate my isolation from Jewish Culture by admitting when I heard "Kibbutz", I thought of that over masculine compensating for something guy in GTA 4.

RMS Oceanic on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Olivia Wilde is an impressive human being.

She lived in a school bus on Venice beach with an Italian prince she eventually married, and sounds more intelligent in interviews than most actresses her age.

Yeah like people enjoy her as an actress because of her intelligence. "She's just so deep man."

I honestly didn't get what people saw in her until I saw Tron. She was attractive, yes, but the way some guys talk about her, you'd think she was Venus come down to earth. At that point it was like okay maybe I need to rethink my stance on this woman. Then I listened to some of her interviews and she sounds, I dunno, intelligent and cool and interesting. She isn't the greatest actress, but she's a very intriguing human being as far as I'm concerned.

I remember hearing she was political at some point

I can't actually remember the first thing I ever saw her in but she's so striking ... have you seen alpha dog

Variable on
  • Options
    edited December 2010

N..No.

Why would you say that?
    Is that what really goes on?

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2010
    Haha Olivia Wilde's real name is Cockburn.

Wow what a weird name.

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I shall now demonstrate my isolation from Jewish Culture by admitting when I heard "Kibbutz", I thought of that over masculine compensating for something guy in GTA 4.

its basically a hippie commune for jews

with more torah and less pot

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Organ we were told that a traditional Kibbutz is full of crazy zealots to the extent that some hot Jewess tail wouldn't make up for it so we were like "Israel? Nah" and decided to look elsewhere.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Chu's uncle sounds like the kind of guy I'd like to cuff to a table like an interrogation room at a police station and attempt to converse with until the frothing stopped and the person had to actually confront the disparity between their professed beliefs and reality

I do enjoy your violent side

Variable on
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited December 2010
    Thanatos wrote: »
    jacobkosh wrote: »
    Thanatos wrote: »
    Also, there's just a huge fucking learning curve, and it seemed like the only thing to differentiate my character from other characters was one piece of gear.
    I'm not going to like, try and argue you into the game but I will say that the characters kind of start off in a similar place and then diversify as you head up the line.

once you level up your preferred stats and get different ships and gear it becomes very difficult to mistake one guy for another. one dude is a geophysicist and summoning like magma vents from the ground and another is turning invisible and doing kung-fu and a third is just spraying laser fire everywhere.
    I want you to try to talk me into it; like I said, based on the demo, I'm confused as to how anyone could possibly find it fun. It felt like a version of City of Heroes where everyone plays exactly the same hero, and given how you guys have been talking about how much fun it is, I was very confused.

well, okay. let me see if I can expand on this.

on the ground, your guy in STO gets abilities from his character class (at level 5 you get such-and-such a power, at level 10 you get such-and-such a different power, etc), his choice of weapon, and his choice of kit (and there is a sizable selection of equipment kits, the three you can choose at the beginning are simply the most basic/straightforward). each of his bridge officers also come with their own powers (which you can select) and you can have up to like 10 bridge officers, although you can only beam down with four.

finally, resting above all of this, you have his skill tree, and where you spend skill points both improves the performance of existing abilities for you and your entire crew (so putting points in phasers means everyone does more damage with phasers, and so forth) as well as unlocking new, otherwise-inaccessible skills to train your officers in (so because my guy has leveled up his battle strategy tree, he can teach his officers the special power "Attack Pattern Omega III", which they cannot get otherwise).

all of this means that your guys are hugely customizable. depending on my choice of equipment, skills, and mans, I can produce a huge variety of effects, from being an uber tanker to a super deadly but fragile murder machine to anything in between - for instance, if I really wanted to, I could spec out my DPS dude to be pretty badass at control (although not quite as much as someone who is a natural controller). that said it is much more likely that me and a controller will play very differently from one another.

but yeah, gear costs money (or must be found from quests), and you only start with one officer and must acquire more, and so forth. So everyone starts at a similar place but branches out as they progress.

much the same stuff is true in space, although there the overriding concern is ship choice. the kind of ship you fly and the weapons you load it out with have huge ramifications on your playstyle, and the powers you use in space are more like your handy toolbox than utter game-changers like they are on the ground.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    I gotta say Tron saw me finding Olivia Wilde more attractive as well. This is because a pleasant laugh will cut straight to my heart and her laugh was adorable.

Bama on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Honk wrote: »

Wow what a weird name.

They try to tell you it's pronounced co-burn

but deep down, people know that's not true

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    it's weird when that happens. I never liked michele rodriguez until I saw her in avatar and then everything changed. I don't know what it was, she was pretty much doing what she does in every other role. and looked how she always looked.

Variable on
  • Options
    edited December 2010

Wow what a weird name.

Man that must be annoying meeting dudes.

"Oh man I've given myself quite a cockburn because of you."

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2010
    will

pal

are you up for LoL

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Variable wrote: »
    it's weird when that happens. I never liked michele rodriguez until I saw her in avatar and then everything changed. I don't know what it was, she was pretty much doing what she does in every other role. and looked how she always looked.

Can not stand her, she's vasquez from aliens and not half as talented as that actress.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited December 2010

Yeah... basically.

Like... who's actually that racist. I almost feel like Chu's been making shit up this whole time. But I know he not.

FroThulhu on
  • Options
    edited December 2010

Wow what a weird name.

It's pronounced Coburn

@Vari: haven't seen it yet. And yeah, she did some work for Haiti and for Obama's campaign. Here's a round table discussion she did for Tron that I enjoyed watching. She seemed genuinely excited about the project.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjHbaI_SnL0

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited December 2010

its basically a hippie commune for jews

with more torah and less pot

i dunno man

my understanding is that a lot of them are pretty militant

like more michigan militia than drop city

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    Favorite ThingFavorite Thing Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

Wow what a weird name.

I was so mad when I saw the next three days and that poor kid didn't get to have Olivia Wilde as a new mom but got stuck with his screw up parents.

Favorite Thing on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Organ we were told that a traditional Kibbutz is full of crazy zealots to the extent that some hot Jewess tail wouldn't make up for it so we were like "Israel? Nah" and decided to look elsewhere.

in most kibbutz there are certain observances that you'd have to adhere to but no, for the most part the average kibbutz is not zealous. lots of american tourists do tours (i think evander did) and they are more relaxed than people imagine. a lot of foreigners conflate settlers and kibbutzim, which is completely inaccurate.

Organichu on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Look into my eye, Vasquez

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited December 2010
    Nerdgasmic wrote: »
    will

pal

are you up for LoL

nope

not playing games durin the day

tryin to be a grown-up

at least kind of

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2010

Wow what a weird name.

They try to tell you it's pronounced co-burn

but deep down, people know that's not true

Hahaha

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
This discussion has been closed.