As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

No[Chat]Turne: A thread in memory

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Bogart wrote: »
    I'm betting that 'the opportunity to quote Shakespeare at great length' was one of the hooks that got them Plummer for the role of Chang.

That and Kim Cattral in his dressing room for a couple hours.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Preacher wrote: »
    I'm actually trying to draw Nocturne out...

As poison is drawn from a wound.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Chang was the best Klingon ever

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    jacobkosh wrote: »
    Five was really the first god-awful Star Trek movie and also the worst, although Nemesis gave it a run for its money.

One is turgid and overlong but has been vastly improved by the new cut and is now actually kind of cool, and three isn't really bad, just kind of flatly directed and talky.

Five was an offense against cinema, though.

One damn near killed any future movies though, so that holds a special place of suck. Three was also bad because it came off of the great two and went to shit pretty damn fast.

What I hated the most about Nemesis was the wasted fucking potential.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Feral wrote: »
    I'm actually trying to draw Nocturne out...

As poison is drawn from a wound.

Feral for the last time I know thats not a snake bite and no way am I sucking on it.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I hated Nemesis so much.

so much

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    So if Mazzy's post is correct and Jared Loughner really did make a video of himself in a red g-string holding a Glock 9 I think it's important to note that he chose RED. OBVIOUS REPUBLICAN DEBATE OVER!

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Kagera wrote: »
    So if Mazzy's post is correct and Jared Loughner really did make a video of himself in a red g-string holding a Glock 9 I think it's important to note that he chose RED. OBVIOUS REPUBLICAN DEBATE OVER!

I hate you.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    LET TWO THREADS BECOME ONE

moses.jpg[IMG][/img]

Truely Jacob is wise and strong.

Yeah how does his cock taste there preach?

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2011
    Five is the only Trek film I actively disliked. The first one felt like an attempt to do a proper SF film, with a really good SF plot idea (VGER) powering things along, but is admittedly a bit dull in parts.

Bogart on
  • Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I am going booze shopping. What is something cheap that will get me smashed.

Cinders on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Five was really the first god-awful Star Trek movie and also the worst, although Nemesis gave it a run for its money.

One is turgid and overlong but has been vastly improved by the new cut and is now actually kind of cool, and three isn't really bad, just kind of flatly directed and talky.

Five was an offense against cinema, though.

One damn near killed any future movies though, so that holds a special place of suck. Three was also bad because it came off of the great two and went to shit pretty damn fast.

What I hated the most about Nemesis was the wasted fucking potential.

The thing I hate and love the most about Nemesis is how it drove the franchise into a wall.

On the one hand, it was a regrettable ending to a regrettable run of Trek movies and shows.

On the other hand, it forced Paramount to start over with JJ Abrams.

Feral on

• Options
    edited January 2011

I hate you.

<3

Kagera on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    LET TWO THREADS BECOME ONE

moses.jpg[IMG][/img]

Truely Jacob is wise and strong.

Yeah how does his cock taste there preach?

BBQ sauce, I swear Nocturnes was the same, must be a kansas thing.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    FroThulhuFroThulhu Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Cinders wrote: »

151+Cola

FroThulhu on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Senjutsu wrote: »

Yeah, he was great. Christopher Lloyd was pretty good, but he didn't have Chang's sense of humour.

Though I've always had a soft spot for the Klingon Ambassador who keeps ragging on Kirk and then has to applaud him at the end of VI, but does so in a forced slow-handclappy kind of way.

Bogart on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I hated Nemesis so much.

so much

yeah it is completely terrible in every way

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I still haven't seen Nemesis. The TNG films were all kind of lame, I guess First Contact was fairly enjoyable, if not very good. Generations was bad though, and Insurrection was like a terrible first season episode of the normal series with souped up special effects.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    FroThulhu wrote: »

151+Cola

One sip will make a...

uh...

person flip?

Kagera on
  • Options
    edited January 2011

The thing I hate and love the most about Nemesis is how it drove the franchise into a wall.

On the one hand, it was a regrettable ending to a regrettable run of Trek movies and shows.

On the other hand, it forced Paramount to start over with JJ Abrams.

Yeah hopefully Abrams doesn't fuck it up though he doesn't have the greatest track record of following through.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited January 2011
    Undiscovered Country is a really good Trek film. I like the way almost all the crew are unremittingly racist for almost the whole length of the movie.

Nicholas Meyer is a very sharp cookie. I listened to his commentary on Wrath of Khan recently and it's impressive how he seems to instinctively understand how to make a good Star Trek movie even though he personally doesn't understand its appeal at all.

He probably knows how to make a good Trek movie because he's not a Trekkie.

Well, that's the argument that has often been made.

But I dunno. I understand that the sort of stories I enjoy from Star Trek on TV - the talky, character-heavy ones, or the episodes with cool sciencefictional puzzles (like "Booby Trap" from TNG, or "Devil in the Dark" from the original series) - aren't really suited for a two-hour movie, while Meyer's background in adventure stories and pulp fiction pastiches made him the right choice to tell the sort of seafaring adventure stories that play well on film. But I think the kinds of stories I like, the stuff he largely dismisses as weird sci-fi shit, have their place too.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    edited January 2011

Yeah, he was great. Christopher Lloyd was pretty good, but he didn't have Chang's sense of humour.

Though I've always had a soft spot for the Klingon Ambassador who keeps ragging on Kirk and then has to applaud him at the end of VI, but does so in a forced slow-handclappy kind of way.

In the Star Wars Universe he'd have a full backstory and 5 book series dedicated to him.

Kagera on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I still haven't seen Nemesis. The TNG films were all kind of lame, I guess First Contact was fairly enjoyable, if not very good. Generations was bad though, and Insurrection was like a terrible first season episode of the normal series with souped up special effects.

there's no reason to watch Nemesis

nothing good can come of it

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Nemesis bugs me because for some reason the Romulans, probably my favorite bad guy species in Star Trek were reduced to nothing so they could have a clone of Picard and some other scary looking race be the bad guys.

Fucking hell, perfect set up for the Romulans to try and push in since it was after the Dominion war. Should of been about uncovering a plot, awesome warbirds maybe and lots of underhandedness. Maybe a spy on the Enterprise.

But nope, had to go with psychic rape.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I rewatched the Trek reboot recently and though I still like it and love the cast, boy oh boy it's a fucking dumb movie. The plot is one of the stupidest pieces of work I can remember seeing.

Still like it, though. The beginning is fantastic.

Bogart on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Pro Tip: If you ever use the 50% of marriages end in divorce statistic your argument is sucktastic.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    FroThulhu wrote: »

151+Cola

One sip will make a...

uh...

person flip?

Everclear and OJ!

Or just get a half gallon of Sailor Jerry. Drinkable/tasty on its own, and you'll definitely manage to get fucked up at some point.

FroThulhu on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I love Christopher Plummer

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Oh yeah whoever decided to use the "Troi gets mind raped" trope in Nemesis deserves the special hell.

Kagera on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I love Christopher Plummer

He was great as Mike Wallace. I swear the Insider is an overlooked movie full of good performances, even Pacino.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I am a still a big fan of First Contact. In general it was fun, especially if you know who they are meeting(mentioned in the original series in a talk between McCoy and Spock). The action was fun. I write off the queen but like the idea of how they were trying to assimilate Data.

In general I enjoyed the movie a lot.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Oh yeah whoever decided to use the "Troi gets mind raped" trope in Nemesis deserves the special hell.

I think the writers just hate Marina Sirtis, I swear she's the least liked of the TNG cast.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited January 2011
    The thing about one is that despite having a bad rep it still made Paramount fuckloads of money. It just didn't do Star Wars business, so they decided it was a failure, slashed the budget for II and basically doomed future movies to try and make do on the kind of budgets that mid-range comedies get.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    If the writers hate her why am *I* being punished with this crap?

Kagera on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    I am a still a big fan of First Contact. In general it was fun, especially if you know who they are meeting(mentioned in the original series in a talk between McCoy and Spock). The action was fun. I write off the queen but like the idea of how they were trying to assimilate Data.

First Contact was fun because it should have been the end of the Borg, fucking Voyager.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    his is the sort of mid-atlantic accent that has fallen into disuse in film

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    If the writers hate her why am *I* being punished with this crap?

So that you hate her too and they could write her out of anything ever.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Mazzyx wrote: »

What's this, now?

FroThulhu on
  • Options
    ResRes __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2011

Sterilium

Res on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

there's no reason to watch Nemesis

nothing good can come of it

I have no plans to see it.

I still haven't seen the third Matrix film.

If a movie gets enough bad press, short of someone kind of forcing me to watch it, I generally don't.

Regina Fong on
This discussion has been closed.