As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Batman killed?

• Options
    MblackwellMblackwell Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Yeah, that's Batman's modus operandi: I'll catch em but it's up to the justice system to deal with them.

That's what makes him not just another crazy vigilante.

Mblackwell on
    Music: The Rejected Applications | Nintendo Network ID: Mblackwell

• Options
    Xenogear_0001Xenogear_0001 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Batman doesn't just capture him, though, he actively saves his life if the situation warrants it--you know, Joker does something to fall off a building and Batman does his swoop/catch/grapple combo or strings him up by the foot. Which, you know, he doesn't have to do. It's just weird.

Xenogear_0001 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Batman doesn't just capture him, though, he actively saves his life if the situation warrants it--you know, Joker does something to fall off a building and Batman does his swoop/catch/grapple combo or strings him up by the foot. Which, you know, he doesn't have to do. It's just weird.
    It's also what an officer of the law is supposed to do in the same situation. You don't just let suspects die because it's convenient.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    It's also what an officer of the law is supposed to do in the same situation. You don't just let suspects die because it's convenient.

An officer of the law also follows due process.

Quid on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Quid wrote: »

Granted. The fact is that Batman is a criminal.

That doesn't make him a de facto murderer. He thinks of himself as a public servant, and public servants don't go around around killing people. If the public wanted that, they'd have a process set up for it.

OptimusZed on

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    edited January 2011

That doesn't make him a de facto murderer. He thinks of himself as a public servant, and public servants don't go around around killing people. If the public wanted that, they'd have a process set up for it.

Good thing we said kill and not murder.

It's not killing with malicious intent when you're stopping someone from killing hundreds, if not thousands of people.

Quid on
  • Options
    edited January 2011

Good thing we said kill and not murder.

It's not killing with malicious intent when you're stopping someone from killing hundreds, if not thousands of people.
    But if the society he thinks he's serving thought it was best to kill the Joker, they would have done it already.

That's the fundamental issue I think we're having here.

In Batman's worldview, he's another kind of cop. Not a soldier, and certainly not the hangman.

OptimusZed on

• Options
    edited January 2011
    But if the society he thinks he's serving thought it was best to kill the Joker, they would have done it already.

In Batman's worldview, he's another kind of cop. Not a soldier, and certainly not the hangman.

Oh please. At multiple points society decided they didn't want Batman and that didn't stop him either.

Quid on
  • Options
    edited January 2011

Oh please. At multiple points society decided they didn't want Batman and that didn't stop him either.
    You can still be a servant without being wanted. Just ask any TSA employee.

OptimusZed on

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Joker isn't dead because it's a comic book guys.

this way madness lies

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    And it's been written by dozens, if not hundreds, of people. I understand this, but you're saying not one decent writer could find the gumption to kill off the Joker? Shit, for all I know they have and some other jacktard just comes along and revives him somehow, or reveals he never truly died. Meh.

Xenogear_0001 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Joker stories typically highlight exactly how different the two of them are, though.

Killing or not killing is a big part of that.

OptimusZed on

• Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    And it's been written by dozens, if not hundreds, of people. I understand this, but you're saying not one decent writer could find the gumption to kill off the Joker? Shit, for all I know they have and some other jacktard just comes along and revives him somehow, or reveals he never truly died. Meh.

...Well, yeah. What did you think would happen, they'd let some random writer off one of the most iconic characters in comic book history permanently? They won't even let D-listers stay dead! Anyway, the Cardboard Prison is just a necessary element of suspension of disbelief you have to accept with comic books. Even if they didn't kill the Joker off, you know that in a semi-realistic situation, they'd have hauled his ass to federal prison sometime around escape attempt #2. Or hell, they could get Superman to build a supervillain jail on the moon, whatever. But popular supervillains can't go away forever for the sake of narrative and maintaining fan interest.

EmperorSeth on
    You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

Killing the Joker would wreck a big part of Batman's character and wouldn't carry with it the impact you might get from killing certain other characters, since at this point everyone would just assume he's coming back sooner or later.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    edited January 2011

So go along with what society wants unless his crazy self doesn't want to and he'd rather loose a serial killer on them rather than go against a poorly thought out moral code. Fantastic idea, that.

Quid on
  • Options
    edited January 2011

So go along with what society wants unless his crazy self doesn't want to and he'd rather loose a serial killer on them rather than go against a poorly thought out moral code. Fantastic idea, that.
    Insanity is kind of a big part of the character.

As is the Idealism vs Realism thing you're taking such issue with.

OptimusZed on

• Options
    Torso BoyTorso Boy Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Batman is an excellent illustration of the main split in utilitarian ethics, which is based around the idea that an ethically good action is one that maximizes utility (many would add in "without infringing on anyone's liberty" but that's another debate entirely). But there's a conflict there: act utilitarianism holds that one should make the utility judgement or calculation ad hoc and in the moment with the available information, while rule utilitarianism holds that we create rules to make the calculation for us and follow the rules because they're usually the best thing to do. When you stop at a red light when there are no cars coming, it can be said that you're acting as a rule utilitarian.

Batman is a rule utilitarian, and the decision not to kill the Joker calls this stance into question. Separate from the questions of Batman's sanity, the slippery slope of "crossing the line," or the Joker "winning," I think there's an important ethical consideration: Is the utility of following his rule really greater than what would be gained by killing him?

Batman already undermines the state's monopoly on force, and depending on the season and the writer, the city of Gotham more or less supports him. They are making the opposite utilitarian judgement: to make an exception to the rules because it's useful, which is aided by the fact that he's not leaving bodies in his wake. If he kills, making that exception on his behalf becomes harder. So in a sense, the rule may be allowing him to continue his work- the state and the people may not accept him if he's a murderer. There's that consideration.

I love Batman because of the rule- so I do personally consider it an essential feature of the character. I love that the rule is always questionable, and might even be counter-productive or ill-conceived, depending on what ethical lens is used. I love that the character doesn't seem to make these considerations because he is afraid, among many other things, of breaking his rule. Everything comes down to fear.

Torso Boy on
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Which is why he was offered a yellow power ring.

Speaking of, who else thinks he should have taken at least one of the rings he was offered? Not necessarily to use on every day patrolling, but as an emergency back-up, for use against cosmic-level threats.

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    This seems kind of appropriate here.

What with all the "Batman is either unrealistic or an idiot" talk.

OptimusZed on

• Options
    edited January 2011
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    Which is why he was offered a yellow power ring.

Speaking of, who else thinks he should have taken at least one of the rings he was offered? Not necessarily to use on every day patrolling, but as an emergency back-up, for use against cosmic-level threats.

I... don't think the ring works that way? I could be mistaken, and it is a cool idea, mind you, but I'm pretty sure it's use it or lose it.

Xenogear_0001 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LanlaornLanlaorn Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    So why didn't Batman take an offered green lantern ring? I don't read comics but everyone's seen this demotivational poster:
    Green_Lantern_Batman_by_zennoff.jpg

And well, that seems like a great idea to me.

Lanlaorn on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Lanlaorn wrote: »
    So why didn't Batman take an offered green lantern ring? I don't read comics but everyone's seen this demotivational poster:

He's a vigilante. He'd chafe something fierce in a galactic police force just like he would in Gotham PD.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Well being a Green Lantern means you are part of an organization. You answer to a group of beings who can assign you to a whole othr planet than the one you're born on, and you're expected to police your whole section of the universe, not just your home town. Not really Batman's style at all.

LockedOnTarget on
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Also, Batman doesn't need powers or anything. He is a symbol. He stands for a man's (human's) ability of standing up to the injustice around him and make a difference.
    No one embodies this better than Batman. If Superman saves the world, yeah you think it's awesome but you still know you can't do what he can because he has superpowers and you don't. But Batman is just a man. He is what you could be (theoretically). That makes the character so awesome. All of us could be Batman. None could be Superman.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Incenjucar wrote: »

He's a vigilante. He'd chafe something fierce in a galactic police force just like he would in Gotham PD.

IIRC, when he got his hands on a green lantern ring it rejected him because he hasn't conquered his fear, instead he embraced it and used it to fight crime as a scary guy in a BDSM Batsuit. He was able to use it for a while, but in the end his persona wasn't compatible with the green lantern energy.
    Later when he got his hands on a yellow ring, it rejected him because he had used the green ring earlier.

Of course, that could have been an elseworlds, or retconned out of existence. I honestly don't know how you comic book nerds keep track. Hell, I can barely keep track of SW Canon, and it only gets 3 or 4 new novels a year.

see317 on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Why does a yellow ring reject someone who's used a green ring? Wasn't Sinestro originally a GL?

KalTorak on
  • Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'm just glad Scarecrow got to have a yellow ring for a while. Ever since the Sinestro Corps started up was like "they NEED to give him a yellow ring dammit!" and they finally did.

LockedOnTarget on
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    KalTorak wrote: »
    Why does a yellow ring reject someone who's used a green ring? Wasn't Sinestro originally a GL?
    That's precisely why; Sinestro hates the GLC with a burning passion and that infects all the rings he gives out.

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    Modern ManModern Man Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    HamHamJ wrote: »
    In reality Gotham would have instituted the death penalty after the first time the Joker escaped. Everyone in Batman's rogues gallery would probably be dead.
    It would never even get that far with the Joker. A guy who kills a couple dozen cops is not making it into custody safely. Especially if we're talking about the Gotham PD. He would have been "shot while escaping" a long time ago.

Modern Man on
    Aetian Jupiter - 41 Gunslinger - The Old Republic
    Rigorous Scholarship

• Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Hell in reality that guy who was watching over him in The Dark Knight probably would have -shot him- and every officer in that building would testify that they heard no gunshot.

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Wouldn't it be similar Mob cases though? Yeah a policeman could kill the Joker but does anyone want to single themselves out as the guy who will kill super villains? I bet that guy would have lasted 12 hours before some Joker goons or Scarecrow killed him in a very painful and public way. Hell we're taking about a town that's been corrupted worse than any real town in history. Half the force is crooked and the mob has run the city for decades.

nightmarenny on
    Quire.jpg
  • Options
    Stupid Mr Whoopsie NameStupid Mr Whoopsie Name Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2011
    Plus, Joker was planting bombs all over the place and it may just have been a bad idea to kill him before knowing where they all were.

Stupid Mr Whoopsie Name on
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Wouldn't it be similar Mob cases though? Yeah a policeman could kill the Joker but does anyone want to single themselves out as the guy who will kill super villains? I bet that guy would have lasted 12 hours before some Joker goons or Scarecrow killed him in a very painful and public way. Hell we're taking about a town that's been corrupted worse than any real town in history. Half the force is crooked and the mob has run the city for decades.

Oh, sure, but there are honest cops, and in Gotham, that borderline requires martyr types.

Sure, you know you're dead, but you're in a five mile radius of the Joker, you're probably dead already. Might as well be hanged for a sheep as a lamb.

chiasaur11 on
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    chiasaur11 wrote: »

Oh, sure, but there are honest cops, and in Gotham, that borderline requires martyr types.

Sure, you know you're dead, but you're in a five mile radius of the Joker, you're probably dead already. Might as well be hanged for a sheep as a lamb.

But that's kind of the point. Police on Gotham typically only come in two flavors. Absolutely corrupt or completely uncorruptable, and the completely uncorruptable would likely eschew taking the law into their own hands like that.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Harvey Bullock is a reformed cop who still has some of the twinges of someone who would shoot the Joker if he could (in the comics at the end of No Man's Land I am surprise no one took a shot at Joker for what he did)

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Harvey Bullock is a reformed cop who still has some of the twinges of someone who would shoot the Joker if he could (in the comics at the end of No Man's Land I am surprise no one took a shot at Joker for what he did)

Well, Gordon took a shot.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    see317 wrote: »
    Incenjucar wrote: »

IIRC, when he got his hands on a green lantern ring it rejected him because he hasn't conquered his fear, instead he embraced it and used it to fight crime as a scary guy in a BDSM Batsuit. He was able to use it for a while, but in the end his persona wasn't compatible with the green lantern energy.
    Later when he got his hands on a yellow ring, it rejected him because he had used the green ring earlier.

Of course, that could have been an elseworlds, or retconned out of existence. I honestly don't know how you comic book nerds keep track. Hell, I can barely keep track of SW Canon, and it only gets 3 or 4 new novels a year.

The main reason why it rejected him is because he had too much willpower, he wouldn't just give into the evil and fear the Sinestro Corps represents. Otherwise he never would've been able to wield the Green Lantern ring at all.

And it's still in continuity, though Geoff Johns has turned the entire thing into a stupid clusterfuck filled with way too many characters and endless, crappy stories. GLC and Emerald Warriors are a lot more focused books (set cast and story arcs) and are so much better than Johns' Green Lantern, it isn't funny.
    Klyka wrote: »
    Also, Batman doesn't need powers or anything. He is a symbol. He stands for a man's (human's) ability of standing up to the injustice around him and make a difference.
    No one embodies this better than Batman. If Superman saves the world, yeah you think it's awesome but you still know you can't do what he can because he has superpowers and you don't. But Batman is just a man. He is what you could be (theoretically). That makes the character so awesome. All of us could be Batman. None could be Superman.

Superman is someone everyone should aspire to be. That's what makes him so awesome.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    Ethan SmithEthan Smith Origin name: Beart4to Arlington, VARegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Yeah, I think a good elseworlds could be about the cop who killed the Joker. Because renny's right, I don't think that said cop would be able to survive once everyone knows that he's the guy who killed the Joker.

That is, he wouldn't survive unless the GPD suddenly went on an extrajudicial offensive. As Batman becomes more and more shocked at the violence going on, the cops off more and more supervillains until, say, Catwoman is killed with Batman as a witness.

Batman then goes to court to testify against the policeman who did it. Said policeman is sitting in his chair, smug as can be. The defense attorney steps up to question Batman

and shoots him.

And with that, Gotham goes back to being the way it was, without Batman, without supervillains, and with a corrupt as hell police force that's now patting itself on the back for being so corrupt.

Ethan Smith on
  • Options
    RaynagaRaynaga Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    That is one of the worst storyline ideas I've ever read.

Raynaga on
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I say comic books as a culture need to be remade. The idea of sweeping continuities and persistent villains and worlds is a conceit that leads to A) stupid things and B) whacky implausible things.

Comics should be condensed into short runs that tell complete stories - much like the Nolan Batman movies. Batman catches Joker, he escapes once or twice before Batman finds a final solution - like a concrete box half kilometre under ground (with ample food and supplies for 2 lifetimes - or something less lame and more creative and less cruel. More Bathumane if you will). Joker doesn't escape again and the Batman story comes to a close. Then, they start again with a new take/twist/style (which isn't radically different to what happens now, with all the different comic lines just greatly condensed or without a persistent continuity.)

Of course this is probably not economically viable and sort of swims against the tide so wouldn't work for a whole range of reasons.

Apothe0sis on