As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[M&M] Trinity City OOC

• Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Chibi semi-unibrow man?

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Um how large is Jessica at this point?

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    She shrank down to 6 inches once she saw the knife. Playing is one thing, but she'd rather not get stabbed.

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    carrot how many ranks of growth/shrink do you have? is that array 16 points (+1 for alternate) in total,giving you eight ranks of shrink and four of growth?

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    How does the +5 damage bonus work for split attack? Do I split it, or does it get added to both attacks? I'm guessing split because adding it to both attacks seems kinda powerful.

Oddly enough, both get it. That +5 doesn't come out of nowhere, it's there because damage DCs normally start at 15, not 10. Because the house rules follow the note that you can replace d20s with 10s in calculations to get static or rolled values as necessary in the d20 system, and that DC is higher than standard, it's important to replicate that across the board to keep balance. Hence the +5 bonus only for damage.

Also remember that if you attack people with a split power you make one roll and compare it to both defenses; that would be at the bonuses (if any) of the full power. On the other hand, power checks to get past targets' save defenses use the split ranks.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Arivia wrote: »
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    How does the +5 damage bonus work for split attack? Do I split it, or does it get added to both attacks? I'm guessing split because adding it to both attacks seems kinda powerful.

Oddly enough, both get it. That +5 doesn't come out of nowhere, it's there because damage DCs normally start at 15, not 10. Because the house rules follow the note that you can replace d20s with 10s in calculations to get static or rolled values as necessary in the d20 system, and that DC is higher than standard, it's important to replicate that across the board to keep balance. Hence the +5 bonus only for damage.

Also remember that if you attack people with a split power you make one roll and compare it to both defenses; that would be at the bonuses (if any) of the full power. On the other hand, power checks to get past targets' save defenses use the split ranks.

Right. It's a single attack roll using my attack.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Yep.

caaaaaarrot

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Yup. Enough for two categories of growth and four of shrinkage. And when shrunk I retain my normal strength.

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    okay, so eight ranks translates to a size of tiny (see Shrink's writeup and page 35 of M&M on Size) not diminutive, so you're actually just a foot tall

tiny's still good, since it means you can enter the spaces of Medium creatures like our crooks here

things you could do as being tiny to distract them:
    -bluff (feint or trick) with your size bonus as a miscellaneous bonus to the check
    -power stunt an alternate power like nauseate (sicken), trip, or snare with your shrink ranks to represent running around or on them

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    No, wait, I'm wrong, I spent 32 points on it, half of which were to be just as strong, so I have 16 ranks, and four size categories, so six inches does work. Though I don't think that makes any difference.

So maybe roll Bluff to get their attention as "whoa, weird thing jumping at us!" and that sets up me or someone else to do damage?

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    yes. see bluff (feint).

putting together the round now!

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    the key *should* make the listing pretty self-explanatory

fyi, my rounds take a while because I update everything in the listing when I go

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Oops Thom forgot to give you a hero point for your teleportation stunt; I'm guessing you apply it to extra effort fatigue?

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Jessica's going after the big guy. Got to make it fair, after all. "You wanna play, fella?" She jumps around, forward and back, Feinting to draw his attention - at least, if it goes well. 8 ranks of Bluff, plus Charisma, plus 3 for size, plus 1d20 against Reflex, or what?

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    No, +8 - your attack/def bonus. And against the gangbanger's Will defense, we'll say.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Oops Thom forgot to give you a hero point for your teleportation stunt; I'm guessing you apply it to extra effort fatigue?

Yep.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Could I use Extra Effort to apply the bluff to the three minions still up instead of the leader?

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Force field: worth its weight in gold. Helps that I couldn't roll over a 6 on damage, as well.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Only to two of them, as each use is a standard action. Unless you're trying to steal Frightful Presence or something.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Ooh, actually, in that case, could I jump between the alligator-head and the giant, trying to make them aim at me and hit each other?

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Force field: worth its weight in gold. Helps that I couldn't roll over a 6 on damage, as well.

Bricks. Sometimes you need a hero who can be badass simply by standing there.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Ooh, actually, in that case, could I jump between the alligator-head and the giant, trying to make them aim at me and hit each other?

do you have the Redirect feat?

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    No. Could I simulate it with Extra Effort?

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Hey, saw I'm up. Will be able to post around 5 PM pst.

desc on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    You'd need to use a hero point (you start with one) to get it, and then use extra effort for the extra standard to trick the other one, but that would work.

Write it up well enough and you could even get a hero point back in return!

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Then I think that will be my preliminary plan, assuming nothing unusual happens in the meantime, which is unlikely.

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Sorry the turn took so long. I had about 5 minutes to check before dinner, then ended up on the couch half a sleep till about now.

Also, Rivs does my entangle arrow also do damage? I don't think we ever made a point if it does or not. Since I am hitting them with an arrow, it just has the vine which grows rapidly snaring and entangling them.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I'm fully expecting to have messed up the calculations in some way, so let me know if I need to fix them.

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Man, if it were just me and Mazz and the thugs, I could really see this turning into a Yakety Sax/Three Stooges fight.

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Mazzy, was there any particular reason you took snare twice and/or didn't make the wooded arrow part a device?

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Flipping through the thread on my phone, a few things:

-Desc, you roll against someone's defense to hit them
    -Thom, Desc: Toughness save defenses are listed so you can roll and calculate damage yourself
    -Carrot: each trick is a separate bluff, so you need to make a second roll

As a general rule and from a conservative reading of M&M's feat you're not supposed to be able to make multiple standard actions during a move-by action, but I think we can let that slide

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I didn't roll anything to begin with. 10 Bluff with Charisma modifier, 3 for being Fine, 8 as my attack bonus makes 21. I'm guessing I misunderstood something?

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Yeah, it's a skill use so it takes 1d20 plus all those modifiers

Except the +3 for being Fine which I don't know where you're getting from and doesn't apply

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Oh, okay, I probably confused that with one of my previous plans which did take advantage of my size beyond fluff. I'll edit in two rolls, then.

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Flipping through the thread on my phone, a few things:

-Desc, you roll against someone's defense to hit them
    -Thom, Desc: Toughness save defenses are listed so you can roll and calculate damage yourself
    -Carrot: each trick is a separate bluff, so you need to make a second roll

As a general rule and from a conservative reading of M&M's feat you're not supposed to be able to make multiple standard actions during a move-by action, but I think we can let that slide

I rolled the damage roll. One guy made his save and one got knocked the fuck out. I just figured I'd let you write that up.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    It's a pity that Redirect doesn't seem to have any benefit for the target failing the roll by 5 or more. Although that is usually the case, I think.

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Oh okay Thom

Carrot your size is applying; see page 35 of M&M

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Mazzy, was there any particular reason you took snare twice and/or didn't make the wooded arrow part a device?

I suck at designing characters in this game. But really it is kind of a unique single target version of my snare. Device rules read more like mechanical aka batman and it isn't. Its more like a super growth seed I attach to the arrow. I probably read the rules twice. I was hoping to use it more like a long range grapple and it was the best I could come up with.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Oh okay Thom

Carrot your size is applying; see page 35 of M&M

Oooohhh, I see, thanks.

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Mazzyx wrote: »

I suck at designing characters in this game. But really it is kind of a unique single target version of my snare. Device rules read more like mechanical aka batman and it isn't. Its more like a super growth seed I attach to the arrow. I probably read the rules twice. I was hoping to use it more like a long range grapple and it was the best I could come up with.

So it's an old school Green Arrow style of arrow? That can be a device. The thing to keep in mind with M&M is that any power can be any kind of source. Devices are really any prop that has a power, so a non-mechanical example:
    Device 8: Holy Warhammer (hard to lose; restricted: only the worthy)
    Penetrating Strike 12 (split attack (4 targets), affects insubstantial, 6 alternate powers)
    Alternate 1: Blast 12 (holy fire; precise, indirect 2, affects insubstantial)
    Alternate 2: Deflect Ranged Attacks 9 (ranged)
    Alternate 3: Dazzle 12 (visual senses, indirect 2)
    Alternate 4: Stun 12
    Alternate 5: Healing 12
    Alternate 6: Light control 6 (free action; subtle, indirect)
    Immunity: aging, disease, poison, hot/cold environments, starvation and thirst

This is Cass's character's Warhammer from Jacob's game. It's a holy weapon (granted by God) and all of it's effects are magical in nature. I could change it to a wizard's staff, a Reed Richards super weapon or tricks from Green Arrow's quiver and from a game mechanics perspective it's exactly the same. Just the discripters you'd use would very. Damage is another power that can be different. It can represent Doomsday's boneridge knuckles, The Shadow's shadow knives, to magical throwing knives. The description simply has to match what the mechanics can do.

Thomamelas on