Options

Did you get that memo? [JOBS]

• Options
    Tommy528Tommy528 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I hear this is where one goes to find help in getting a job.

I've been having a rough time trying to get one myself lately, and I could use any help I can get.

Tommy528 on
    Tommy528.jpg
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Ugh sucks all you dudes are stuck in snow.

Anyone remember that shit from a few months back at my job with them possibly firing everyone because we hung out with employees? Well the lawyers are finally here, talking to people one at a time

Bucketman on
  • Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Tommy528 wrote: »
    I hear this is where one goes to find help in getting a job.

I've been having a rough time trying to get one myself lately, and I could use any help I can get.

OK, what's your location, job experience, degree (if any) and what kind of position are you looking for?

JoeUser on
  • Options
    VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Bucketman wrote: »

Anyone remember that shit from a few months back at my job with them possibly firing everyone because we hung out with employees? Well the lawyers are finally here, talking to people one at a time

Ouch. Has anyone come out from a meeting with the lawyers yet who can give the rest a heads up?

VisionOfClarity on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Not yet.

Bucketman on
  • Options
    Mr. ButtonsMr. Buttons Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

I know you've mentioned it a couple of times in the past... but really? managers aren't allowed to "hang out" with employees? I can understand not being allowed to date or have relationships, but to not be allowed to hang out seems a tad bit extreme. But whatever about that... I hope that everything works out alright for you and for the other people there

Hang-In-There-Baby.jpg

Mr. Buttons on
  • Options
    ThreeCubedThreeCubed Grandma Winky's fat ankles Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    La-lala-lala. Wasting company time.

I have a hard time focusing during my 12 hours shifts, sometimes. I'm hungry, but I don't have the willpower to leave and come back.

ThreeCubed on
    EyQGd.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Well I just had my meeting with the guy. He was really friendly and we just went over a few of my statements and I answered questions about some of the other activity. At the end he said the final say wasn't up to him, but his report was going to basically say that all it was is that we live in a small town, all are around the same age and get along. Nothing sinister.

Bucketman on
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

I know you've mentioned it a couple of times in the past... but really? managers aren't allowed to "hang out" with employees? I can understand not being allowed to date or have relationships, but to not be allowed to hang out seems a tad bit extreme. But whatever about that... I hope that everything works out alright for you and for the other people there

Hang-In-There-Baby.jpg

that cat is probably long dead by now

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    OkamiOkami On the internet nobody knows you're a dog. Nobody. Land of Ports, OreganoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Eight months ago I was hired as a full time kennel attendant at a veterinary clinic/boarding kennel. It is pretty much the best job and practically my childhood dream job (I was one of those little girls who wanted to be a vet). After spending sometime in the job I might even take the opportunity to try becoming a Certified Vet Tech and get myself a real career.

I'm basically a janitor who gets to play with cats and dogs all day. Occasionally I'll get to do cool things like holding animals for blood draws or cystos or setting their fluids catheters for surgeries. I never have more than twenty minutes total of client interaction. There are times in my work day where I am pulled aside to do things such as dropping whatever I'm doing to play with a puppy "because they're puppies and need to play a lot while boarding" and this is a legitimate way to spend my work time.
    I even get to bring my dog in for half off services and have play days with other staff dogs.

There are downsides though, you get the occasional aggressive dog/fractious cat that we have to do something to. There's animals who make total messes of all kinds in their kennels while boarding, spoiler'd for sake of weak stomachs:
    Just this wednesday, a hospitalized cat urinated blood in his litter pan and kicked it all over the kennel. It was a bit of a horror scene. I've opened in the morning to find kennels pawpainted with diarrhea, some people have even come in to find animals in the middle of seizures or just straight up gone.
    You also occasionally have to help clean up after a euthanasia, sometimes it'll be an animal you've come to know and even like because they're regular clients. It puts a real downer on the day :(

Regardless, it's a great job that I love doing. I have mostly great coworkers who are easy to get along with and my supervisor is a DnD nerd so he's actually entertaining to work with. I'm looking forward to staying in this job for a long time.

Okami on
  • Options
    YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Margarazzi wrote: »
    La-lala-lala. Wasting company time.

I have a hard time focusing during my 12 hours shifts, sometimes. I'm hungry, but I don't have the willpower to leave and come back.

Man, I'd just order a pizza and have it delivered.

Yukira on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Applying to a couple more positions. I'm not counting on today's interview to go anywhere. He flat out told me everyone else had more experience and the best thing I had was that i'd be cheapest to hire.

VisionOfClarity on
  • Options
    vermiculturevermiculture Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Okami wrote: »
    I might even take the opportunity to try becoming a Certified Vet Tech and get myself a real career.

That would be awesome! good luck to you, and let me know how it goes! Vet techs are super important where I work, one of them stabbed me with a needle.

vermiculture on
    steam id: vermiculture
  • Options
    TheidarTheidar Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Fuck!

The head of the company I work through just called me at home apparently some other doc got thrown out of a small hospital north of here for "bizarre behavior" and I'm the only one available to cover Super Bowl weekend there.

I was suppose to be at my usual site in the ICU and was looking forward to the party we have there, now I am going to miss the party and be seeing people on the floors of a rural hospital.(Two things I can't stand.)

At least she's willing to give me a bonus for the bullshit.

Can't wait to leave for fellowship in July .

Theidar on
    Gamertag: Theidar
    Wii Friend Code: 0072 4984 2399 2126
    PSN ID : Theidar
    Facebook
    Behold the annhilation of the extraterrestrial and the rise of the machines.
    Hail Satan!
    WISHLIST
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Alright, I just applied for 3 positions I'm super qualified for so hopefully I'll hear something soon.

VisionOfClarity on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Best of luck!!

ThreeCubed on
    EyQGd.jpg
  • Options
    skettiosskettios Enchanted ForestRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    That's really cool Okami! Glad you enjoy what you do so much :) The thought of doing something like that crossed my mind, but I didn't think I was cut out for it.

Best of luck to VoC!!

skettios on
  • Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Alright, I just applied for 3 positions I'm super qualified for so hopefully I'll hear something soon.

Good luck!

firecat500x500891335589.jpg

JoeUser on
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Oh god it's snowing again

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    It's going to be 60 here today!

I am so glad we moved out of the North East.

VisionOfClarity on
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Boss is asking for assistance because he's having trouble printing out Termination and Separations agreements. Awesome because I don't feel like shit already.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Today is my last day. I am sitting at work right now in fact.

Its pretty much the usual, slow pace.

I'm leaving at 3:30ish and have to come back at around 8pm tonight to help pack shit up to ship back to HQ.

Goose! on
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I have decided to play Nutsy Bolts to ease the day away.

Goose! on
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Man, this hiring process is forever long. I interviewed for this job right after Christmas. There were three openings. Two of them were filled, something happened and I needed to re-apply. So I did. Not too long after New Year's Day, I get a call offering me the third position. I accept. I go in, talk to the guy and sign forms authorizing a background check. And mail out the childhood abuse background check. He tells me the childhood abuse check can take up to six weeks.

It takes three weeks. I wait around for a new hire packet to come in the mall. It comes almost a week late. I have to go get shots, take a drug test, get my fingerprints done...

I have spent more time doing these checks for this job than I did looking for the job! And I looked for a job for close to five weeks! (Actually about 5 months, if I count the time when I still had my old job, before we moved.)

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] ...it was the summer of my lifeRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Aphostile wrote: »
    Liiya is evil and possibly Russian.
    stache.jpg

I feel bad saying this but I'm kinda surprised Liiya's so attractive.

She's so nice I thought she compensating.

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
    What spring does with the cherry trees.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Goose! on
  • Options
    Stabbing SmokeStabbing Smoke Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I have a second phone interview for a company I'm interested in.

I'm pretty excited.

Stabbing Smoke on
    sigqq.png
  • Options
    NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'm kind of whittling away the time today, getting a few things done and trying to decide when I want to head home.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    cadmunkycadmunky One hand on the bottle, The other a shaking fist.Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    i'm also considering an early departure. 50 miles out to ashburn to pick up my daughter.

in the snow. again.

cadmunky on
    5955603848_aed2690084.jpg
    "Think of it as Evolution in Action"
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    more snow?

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I will be leaving early. But I have to come back

Goose! on
  • Options
    Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] ...it was the summer of my lifeRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    My mom wants me to give my boss two months notice when I resign. I think that's a reallly long time even if we live on a small island where it might not be the easiest thing to find a replacement.

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    My mom wants me to give my boss two months notice when I resign. I think that's a reallly long time even if we live on a small island where it might not be the easiest thing to find a replacement.

I'd say that's probably a long time, but it depends on the situation. I'm giving my boss that kind of notice only because I know a LOT of stuff from my time here, to the point that he's forgotten or hasn't yet learned himself how to do the stuff I do. But that's just because I'm nice and don't want him to suffer. If I did just up and quit with only two weeks notice, it wouldn't make me a monster or anything.

And it wouldn't make you one either.

ThreeCubed on
    EyQGd.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I'd say go with 3 weeks - 1 month if you're feeling generous.

Goose! on
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I wouldn't even think about anything longer than a month unless you don't mind them getting rid of you early.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Yeah that's what I thought. Even if they didn't it might be weird.

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
  • Options
    FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    VI what island do you live on

I was trying to remember the other day and I couldn't

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    skettiosskettios Enchanted ForestRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Soooo many meetings lately.
    Meetings that I have to bring my laptop to.. which means I can't doodle during them, which makes me sad :(

Luckily today we're having a team lunch! Wonder where we're going to go..

and after work I'm staying in Seattle for a lil while to go out for beers with coworkers :D

skettios on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Fandyien wrote: »
    VI what island do you live on

I was trying to remember the other day and I couldn't

Grenada

You guys invaded us that one time

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
  • Options
    FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    edited January 2011