As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Es[chat]ology

• ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Arivia wrote: »
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    Hey Thom, I am sorry but I do not understand your last question in the M&M thread.

I'm confused about the wording of the rule. Do I make the modifications for any power that has a status effect or toughness check, or a power that has a status effect and checks against toughness? An example would be Dazzle which has a status effect but it's a check against reflex.

Any power that originally involves a saving throw rolls a power check against the same save defense instead.
    Any power that deals damage (that would progress the damage track) rolls a damage check instead.

In the case of Dazzle, if I'm reading you right, you'd roll a power check against the target's Reflex save defense, instead of the target rolling a saving throw.

Right, but at +5 or just the normal check?

Without having access to the book I'm going to guess normal.

The reason that +5 is in there is because Toughness save DCs against damage start at 15, not 10.

That's fine, I was making sure I got it right.

Thomamelas on
  • LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I can't stand when [chat] gets this big because I know that it's going to be closed soon and I'm dreadfully afraid of getting involved in a discussion that doesn't carry over and this gives me anxiety.

I am fucked in the head

Ludious on
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Kagera wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »
    You know Dave Grohl is too good. I guess the only slight you can say is he's funny looking.

Did a concert for a group that thinks AIDS isn't real and the symptoms are caused by the TREATMENT for it.

Damn... well damn. Can we write that off in the same vein that the concerts to benefit african poverty went to warlords who then murdered the shit out of people?

I'm pretty sure we've had this conversation before and kinda expect we will again. Weird.

Anyway it was one of his bandmates that was into it, not him so sure.

I don't recall the convo, but ok he's still cool in my book. Its just that he's so god damn talented!

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Fartacus wrote: »
    Arch wrote: »
    okay see, i was thinking the first

alright yeah i think i got you on this then, although i need more evidence to claim a biological predisposition than just brain studies. but maybe it is there or something i don't know, i havent gotten TOO deep into it

(disclaimer: can't really cite psychological studies about this either- i am going to be a stickler here and draw a slightly arbitrary divide between psychology and biology, even though it engenders the mind-body dualism fallacy)

well I mean even if it is culturally-informed to discriminate against out-groups and exhibit higher tendency to deny them resources/exclude them from status and opportunity, it's a global universal

and implicit bias, regardless of its evolved-or-not origin is definitely a well-evidenced phenomenon

for the argument I was making I don't think anything was really contingent on the evolutionary nature of anything

and I'm not sure I'm comfortable enough to definitively state that out-group discrimination is an evolved tendency, though I certainly lean in that direction (I always struggle with plausible alternative explanations for complex behaviors that have existed with complete universality across all observed cultures and history).

right, and i understand you didnt invoke evolution specifically and am thus going to plead Dobzhansky and implicit bias given our conversations yesterday.

Arch on
  • DaxonDaxon Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    How would it work if you have HIV in America?

Who pays for your medicine?

Actually, how's it work for anyone that's chronically ill? How do you pay for your meds and food and stuff?

Daxon on
    edited January 2011
    Ludious wrote: »
    I can't stand when [chat] gets this big because I know that it's going to be closed soon and I'm dreadfully afraid of getting involved in a discussion that doesn't carry over and this gives me anxiety.

I am fucked in the head

no dude i am the same way right now

Arch on
  • EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    BobCesca wrote: »
    Did we mention that "other" has more of a specific meaning, especially in terms of feminism and comes from Simone de Beauvoir's The Second Sex?

(Sorry if it was mentioned, but pages have passed)

Yeah, I covered that bit but didn't say it was from du beauvoir, mostly because I forgot the name :P

Eddy on
    "and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Woo, more Charlie Brooker tonight! :D<3

RMS Oceanic on
  • LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Implicit bias strikes me as ignoring the almost infinite range of human experiences (and ergo personal biases) in favour of broad strokes.

Leitner on
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    bowen wrote: »
    Feral wrote: »
    Should I be concerned I have an eye that's been twitching for like.. 4 hours now? Should I post in H&A and see how many "you've got cancer!" and "take a xanax from your mom's med cabinent!" posts I get?

Is it like a rapid irregular twitch of the eyelid

or is your eyeball actually twitching back and forth?

The former is a bletharospasm and is usually harmless.

The latter is nystagmus and... isn't necessarily harmless.

The first, eyelid is twitching like mad. High stress day and I had a really salty lunch, yuk. I'm imaging my blood pressure is a bit high right now from the stress itself.

Caffeine will make them worse too. They can last for a few hours or come off and on for a few days.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • GalahadGalahad Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Mika wants to be Freddy Mercury so hard.

Galahad on
    edited January 2011
    Daxon wrote: »

Actually, how's it work for anyone that's chronically ill? How do you pay for your meds and food and stuff?

I presume it depends on your insurance. I have a dreadful feeling without insurance you pay everything yourself.

RMS Oceanic on
    edited January 2011
    Leitner wrote: »
    Implicit bias strikes me as ignoring the almost infinite range of human experiences (and ergo personal biases) in favour of broad strokes.

You don't understand if you were robbed by a minority its because of your bias!

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited January 2011
    In ten minutes jacob is going to come in and beat us back into an even smaller chat ghetto

Irond Will all sitting on a horse, looking down at Arivia in a cute red overcoat, stumbling across the ruins

Eddy on
  • Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

You generally go broke if you don't have the money.

Leading cause of brankruptcy here is medical expenses.

Hospitals have to treat you when you show up in the ER so thats health care for the poor here.

Charities pick up some of the slack for people like Aids sufferers but not nearly enough.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited January 2011

Unless you have good insurance, you're fucked.

Captain Carrot on
  • GalahadGalahad Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Should I be concerned I have an eye that's been twitching for like.. 4 hours now? Should I post in H&A and see how many "you've got cancer!" and "take a xanax from your mom's med cabinent!" posts I get?

Is it like a rapid irregular twitch of the eyelid

or is your eyeball actually twitching back and forth?

The former is a bletharospasm and is usually harmless.

The latter is nystagmus and... isn't necessarily harmless.

The first, eyelid is twitching like mad. High stress day and I had a really salty lunch, yuk. I'm imaging my blood pressure is a bit high right now from the stress itself.

Caffeine will make them worse too. They can last for a few hours or come off and on for a few days.

I get this too.

Lay off the coffee and get some extra sleep.

Galahad on
  • AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    No worries Thom.

Sorry for any confusion, I'm trying to make this easy and transparent instead of the normal terrible neckbeard houserule thing.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
    edited January 2011
    Eddy wrote: »
    In ten minutes jacob is going to come in and beat us back into an even smaller chat ghetto

Irond Will all sitting on a horse, looking down at Arivia in a cute red overcoat, stumbling across the ruins

What the fuck is wrong with you? Other then a lot?

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

I don't know HIV works, but generally you go on medicare/medicaid. With most everything if you qualify for them and can't get a job, you get SSI payments, if you're underage it comes from your parent's SSI benefits. If you have a job and can have a job, medicare becomes a secondary (I think?) and you need a primary insurance. Whatever the primary doesn't cover is picked up by the government with either a small co-pay or a massive one depending on what it is.

Generally, though, if you're terminally ill you can't afford to have a job and have to find a way to live off of $600ish a month.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • FartacusFartacus __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2011

the black/white version of this is so depressing

so many white people in America get this visceral reaction of anger when they see black people "taking" something that they don't "deserve."

I mean, I generally posit that this is what racism is really motivated by, on a fundamental level -- a desire to deny resources to people by rationalizing a group as "undeserving." Politics in general, really, to me seems to be about deciding which individuals or groups are worthy of receiving collective resources, and is thus deeply connected to concepts like "deserving" "earning" "ownership" and so forth, as well as issues like "scarcity."

Which you'll notice is all language that the GOP employs frequently and effectively, and which the much more technocratic, chart-oriented Democrats rarely do.

Fartacus on
  • AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I have no idea what you're going on about Eddy but please continue.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
    edited January 2011

eddy you are fantastic

Arch on
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    It occurs to me that Black Swan and The Wrestler are a lot alike

Aronofsky recycles

Many great directors do. I mean how often did John Ford do a movie about dudes on horses? Or Scorsese making movies about what would DeNiro do in various situations.

Thomamelas on
  • KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

Seriously go to 4:04 this guy's wife is telling him she's calling the police! AND HE STILL HELPS THE HOT CHICK STEAL THE BIKE!

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
    edited January 2011
    God damn it I knew it was wrong and insensitive but

but

GUYS THE HOLOCAUST WASN'T REALLLLL AHMEDINJINGJONG SAID SO

Eddy on
    edited January 2011
    also it occurs to me that i need to be better at statistics than i am currently

i need like an idiots guide to them or something

Arch on
  • WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    It occurs to me that Black Swan and The Wrestler are a lot alike

Aronofsky recycles

If only he'd do an entire movie with Marissa Tomei butt ass naked with jennifer connelly. I'd buy that for a dollar.

If they were both younger, sure.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Richy wrote: »
    "between the gene we scientists now know makes people eat coconut milk ice cream after fish dinner..."

goddamit that line kills me everytime
    Where is that from?

linking it again because it is great

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-M-vnmejwXo

<3

Well worth taking a 2-minute break at work and fishing out my headphones.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    yeah but Kagera

that girl is really hot

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2011
    If there's one thing [chat] seems unified in is its love of Queen

all topics should be Queen based to keep the peace

I'm not that big on Queen. Like i don't hate them but yeah. not my favorite by far.

Dynagrip on
    edited January 2011
    God damn it I knew it was wrong and insensitive but

but

GUYS THE HOLOCAUST WASN'T REALLLLL AHMEDINJINGJONG SAID SO

Also Comical Ali says Iraq is winning, so they must be.

RMS Oceanic on
  • Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Variable wrote: »
    you're basically saying that odds are one person the arrested person deals with along the way is a racist or specifically tries to help minorities in those positions

I'd say that's probably likely yeah

Or that race was a part of the socioeconomic consequences that led to the person's arrest or the availability of resources to the person.

Or that people who aren't consciously racist had different perceptions of the suspect due to ingrained racial stereotypes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrOSL85ZMck

And then, if the thief happens to be a HOT FEMALE....

This went about the way I expected, but I wish they had selected a black actor who matched the white guy in size and stature, rather than age.

Because honestly, the black actor cut a much less intimidating figure. Race surely plays a part here, obviously, but the black actor is simply scrawnier, less physically imposing, and that plays into it as well.

People would have been less emboldened, I believe, if the black actor had been as large as the white actor.

Regina Fong on
    edited January 2011
    No worries Thom.

Sorry for any confusion, I'm trying to make this easy and transparent instead of the normal terrible neckbeard houserule thing.

Don't worry about it. I'm just making sure I understand now so it doesn't slow down play at the table.

Thomamelas on
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011

That's kind of a complicated question.

If you can work, even part-time, you're expected to pay for your stuff yourself (out of pocket or private insurance). If you are low-income and working, you can sometimes qualify for Medicaid, which is funded by the federal government but administered by the individual states. Sometimes the state and local governments have their own programs to supplement Medicaid, too. The city & county of San Francisco have some unusually robust medical care options for poor residents, for instance. But if you're in, say, Colorado Springs, Colorado, there's going to be far fewer options.

If you can't work, then your main option is Social Security Disability. It's a federal program, and you have to show that you are unable to work due to your condition. The payout isn't much (about $800-900 a month). That's meant to cover basic life expenses, not medical expenses It's also notoriously difficult to get on. If you get on Social Security, you also automatically get Medicare, which will cover your medical expenses. Again, there are state and local programs to supplement Social Security Disability.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • FartacusFartacus __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2011

right, and i understand you didnt invoke evolution specifically and am thus going to plead Dobzhansky and implicit bias given our conversations yesterday.

sorry you went over my head there

Fartacus on
  • DaxonDaxon Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

I presume it depends on your insurance. I have a dreadful feeling without insurance you pay everything yourself.

Problem is I can't imagine any insurance company paying for HIV medicine for any extended length of time. They'd go bankrupt.

Government is the only organisation I'd trust doing right by chronically ill people.

Daxon on
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Feral: I don't drink anything with caffeine in it.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    edited January 2011
    Fartacus wrote: »

sorry you went over my head there

Arch on
    edited January 2011

Problem is I can't imagine any insurance company paying for HIV medicine for any extended length of time. They'd go bankrupt.

Government is the only organisation I'd trust doing right by chronically ill people.

Daxon endorses death panels.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
This discussion has been closed.