As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Es[chat]ology

1717273747577»

• ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    Arch wrote: »
    GUYS GUYS COOKING EMERGENCY
    I am making a bean soup
    what do I do if I think I have too much water
    also I want to maybe put ground turkey in it
    do I cook the turkey first?

cook the turkey first and too much water?

let it cook longer
    whoever told me cooking is like chemistry lied
    this is complicated and I am winging it
    :P

cooking uses chemistry but you dont have to be as safe and it is usually better to wing it

this is why cooking relaxes me

FUCK YOU RECIPE I AM PUTTING IN AS MUCH CUMIN AS I WANT

if you do that in chemistry you die

if you do that in cooking it is delicious

cumin is delicious

Now baking on the other hand.

Baking is like chemistry.

fucking seriously

too much milk? eggs not beaten to the right density or firmness? too much baking soda? not ENOUGH baking soda?

GG you lose

Arch on
  • HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2011
    Preacher wrote: »
    Honk wrote: »
    Yeah rules are for people who follow them, not unique snowflakes.

Who you callin snowflake, honky?

Who you calling honky casper?

Who you calling casper, cracker?

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
  • WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Fartacus wrote: »
    White guilt is pretty fucking stupid, honestly. Honkies be tripping.

I dunno

I mean we are pretty terrible a lot of the time

My white ancestors were poor potato eaters from across the pond, who got the black treatment up until 40 years or so ago. White guilt is as situational as white privilege.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    guys crimson & clover is about sex

am i like forty years late to this discussion

Eddy on
    "and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

Who you calling cracker, bubba?

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • stevemarks44stevemarks44 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Also, Winky, they are going to send you through the wringer for this, so don't get discouraged.

I had a friend who needed one arbitrary freshman level gen ed class to graduate but in conflicted with her senior seminar. This was her last semester. She would've had to wait to graduate a semester to take some bullshit like Philosophy I or something.

The school told her there was nothing they could do. She met with deans, dept heads and faculty and they all said there was nothing she could do. Independent study was out of the question and so was a substituting class. She was crying and on the phone with every person in the school pretty much every day. Her parents came and had a formal meeting with the dean. They said they couldn't help.

Two months later, right before classes started, they sent her a nonchalant email saying that a substitute class from a list would be fine and not to worry.

They just wanted to make her pay.

stevemarks44 on
    edited January 2011
    I remember in Fresh Prince, there was a rich guy visiting the house. And he was all jovial like "You can call me Casper, that's my nickname".

And Will was all "aw hell naaaaaaaw".

Honk on
  • WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011

I dunno

I don't think I'm terrible.

And again, you don't know me.

That's my issue with white guilt right there. Someone who doesn't even fucking know me passing judgement, making assumptions, and speaking for me because of how he feels about himself.

By all means, govern your life how you see fit, speak your mind, challenge the injustices you see.

But speak for yourself.

Me, nor any of my ancestors ever directly owned a slave or subjugated anyone, as far as back as we can trace.

So I'm good.

Winky on
  • Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Eddy play LoL with us :x

Dread Pirate Arbuthnot on
    edited January 2011

You know what's fucking crazy? Playing the race card as a joke, in an overtly joking way, and having it totally misinterpreted. Some people treat mock offense seriously, like they're covering their bases just in case, and it's the funniest thing.

That's why I always say to any new black person "What up nword? Want to work my cotton farm?" Helps break the ice.

I've asked some Jewish friends to tell me where the gold's hidden. I forget if I asked Pony.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
    edited January 2011

I dunno

My white ancestors were poor potato eaters from across the pond, who got the black treatment up until 40 years or so ago. White guilt is as situational as white privilege.

French Immigrants who hit north america after ww1.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited January 2011
    T: burtletoy, fuzzy, other science dudes

when looking at "cooking tips" and stuff in recipe books do you do the thing where you wonder how said tip works, or if it actually does?

i am trying to think of specifics, but all i am remembering right now is a coffee thing that was all "don't stir it with a metal spoon because it will reduce the temperature too much and it wont extract as well"

and i was all

huh...i don't know if anyone has tested this to see how the thermokinetics of this bear out

Arch on
  • FartacusFartacus __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2011
    Is white guilt sort of like original sin?

It's a thing exclusive to white liberals where they overcompensate for their privilege. It's not a bad thing, in and of itself, but frequently it becomes a thing where the white guilty person starts projecting it onto other people and that gets pretty old.

in seriousness though, what is white guilt?

Is there a difference between white guilt and real racial awareness?

I mean, listen, I know I'm almost a self-parody sometimes with how self-hating I come off, and of course some of that is played up for effect on the internet

and believe me I am under no illusions that I am a super-white motherfucker. Like paper.

But I've also been told by a fair number of PoC that they feel a lot more comfortable talking about race with me than with other white folks, and they're glad they can vent to me without me getting offended

Like I think a lot of more moderate white people have a different impression of what "black people really think" -- i.e. that black folks really don't make such a big deal about all this stuff, it's just self-hating whites that do.

But frankly I don't think there are any whites out there, however progressive or self-hating, who can fully sympathize with the sentiments of a lot of people of color, no matter how hard you try. It's always been my experience that most people of color have some really deep and powerful reservoirs of anger towards the discrimination they experience and towards white people generally.

but, as a white guy, of course I'm not comfortable speaking for people of color or anything. Just in my experience, most people of color I've known have held many opinions that would be considered "extreme" or "irrational" by most whites.

Like if I said "all convictions of people of color are racially motivated," comments like that tend to get received with very little skepticism among non-white people. Partly I think because of context, and people get I'm not saying "no PoC has ever been guilty of a crime" or something like that, but also I think because views really do differ.

Fartacus on
    edited January 2011

Who you calling bubba, gringo?

Honk on
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    holy shit bob

that is complicated, ridiculous, and kind of awesome

Also bear in mind that done properly everyone is drunk by the beginning of the first speech.

In terms of complication it has nothing on formal banquet dining, though.

japan on
  • KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

I dunno

Irish were pretty notoriously racists against blacks in ye olde days.

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
    edited January 2011

Who you calling bubba, gringo?

Who you calling gringo, blondie?

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2011
    seriously

i'm an irish kike

i think as american white men stand, i am relatively blameless for indulging in the lap of luxury

Organichu on
    edited January 2011
    Kagera wrote: »

Gee the white people who were considered on par with blacks took that out on the people they could get away with... I wonder why they would do that.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited January 2011
    japan wrote: »
    holy shit bob

that is complicated, ridiculous, and kind of awesome

Also bear in mind that done properly everyone is drunk by the beginning of the first speech.

In terms of complication it has nothing on formal banquet dining, though.

well i mean if i was closer i would be in

i would put up the vegetariainism for a bit to witness the ludicrousness of this

Arch on
  • Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

when looking at "cooking tips" and stuff in recipe books do you do the thing where you wonder how said tip works, or if it actually does?

i am trying to think of specifics, but all i am remembering right now is a coffee thing that was all "don't stir it with a metal spoon because it will reduce the temperature too much and it wont extract as well"

and i was all

huh...i don't know if anyone has tested this to see how the thermokinetics of this bear out
    yes
    it really bothers me when people say balsamic reduction
    reductions involve scary bases or palladium catalysts

Fuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud on
  • ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2011

and i was all

I saw something once saying not to stir yeast with a metal spoon because it'll mess with it.

I wondered if it actually does, but I have a bamboo spoon anyway so I just used that.

I will say that given the low heat capacity of metal I doubt that spoon is capable of doing much to the temperature. It might cause it to drop faster but I doubt it would drop further.

Shivahn on
  • EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Organichu wrote: »
    seriously

i'm an irish kike

i think as american white men stand, i am relatively blameless for indulging in the lap of luxury

BACK OF THE BUS YOU GOD DAMN MONGREL

Eddy on
    "and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I had an enormous panic attack this morning

and I managed to drag my ass onto campus

and then I threw up everywhere

so I wasted all the time and energy getting there

Of course my throwing up could have been because of the panic attack but who knows

Dread Pirate Arbuthnot on
  • KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Kagera wrote: »

Gee the white people who were considered on par with blacks took that out on the people they could get away with... I wonder why they would do that.

Two wongs don't make it white Preach.

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
    edited January 2011

and i was all

yes
    it really bothers me when people say balsamic reduction
    reductions involve scary bases or palladium catalysts

well i think that one is more of a semantics game but at least i know i am not alone

Arch on
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I feel like Sam Raimi's Spiderman movies (only 1 and 2) would have been better if they were like...the 1st superhero movies or something. Too much struggling with identity and junk that didn't need to be there

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
    edited January 2011

I dunno

French Immigrants who hit north america after ww1.

We're off scott free. Fuck, France was a safe-haven around then to the extent it allowed interracial marriage.

There were probably slave owners on my father's side, oddly enough, him being black and all. But there was some white in his family, too, so at least the slaver was friendly.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
    edited January 2011
    T: shivahn yeah that is what i mean

also i think i meant to type "faster" but even still i'm not sure if it would change whatever the "ideal temperature for extraction" is

how do they know what it is

do they just say that?

Arch on
    edited January 2011

We're off scott free. Fuck, France was a safe-haven around then to the extent it allowed interracial marriage.

There were probably slave owners on my father's side, oddly enough, him being black and all. But there was some white in his family, too, so at least the slaver was friendly.

Well my grandfather was a horrific racist. To the extent I learned a lot of racial slurs at the ripe old age of 8. Honestly I thought the N word was what you normally called black people until I was 27.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited January 2011
    Arch, start the new chat. Chu, you are his lab assistant.

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
This discussion has been closed.