As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Es[chat]ology

• FartacusFartacus __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2011
    Eddy wrote: »
    I've recently begun reading Toni Morrison's The Bluest Eye. That self-loathing found in ethnic minorities, which was probably even more magnified and cruel in the 1940s, is really, really upsetting. But that's the social web that we wove so tightly for millenia, I suppose. I think it's shifting a bit, but it'll take a long time to reverse, and it's not a sure bet that conflicting standards of beauty and aesthetics will ever be resolved.

yeah it really bums me out when I see it

actually a lot of black women have told me they find my attitudes and preferences towards black women really refreshing, because it's so rare for any man, regardless of race, to be so positive about black women.

I mean colorism is nothing new, for instance.

Fartacus on
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Arch wrote: »
    i

what

is
    The Macsween vegetarian haggis consists of kidney beans, lentils, peanuts, walnuts, almonds, carrots, turnip, mushrooms and vegetable margarine, together with the traditional ingredients of oatmeal, onions and our special blend of spices and seasoning.

japan on
  • BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Isn't haggis like "here we cooked a sheep inside of itself"

More "we cooked all the bits of a sheep no one else wanted and put it inside a its stomach"

BobCesca on
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Anyone else surprised Fartacus isn't black?

No, because black people don't have tons of white guilt exploding out of them constantly. :wink:

They do find it hilarious though, according to my friend kevin who likes to attend racially insensitive parties dressed as a mexican.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Organichu wrote: »
    what confuses me about that bike theft video is

well

there's nothing that precludes me from stopping that robbery and also fucking her stupid

they are not necessarily exclusive ends

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFFS3ndWSJ4

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
    edited January 2011
    Feral wrote: »
    Fartacus wrote: »
    I saw a pretty cute curvy black girl at the hot springs last weekend.

Made me think of you, Fartacus. I think it was the day after you were hells of drunk in [chat] talking about big butts.

god I love butts
    Naked hot springs

fffffffffffffffffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Fartacus on
  • HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2011
    Is white guilt sort of like original sin?

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Preacher wrote: »
    Hey [chat]. I drank a lot of wine last night and watched the Joan Rivers documentary. It was great.

Is her documentary called "Plastic!"?

No. Actually one thing that's really great about it is that other than a tiny bit where she talks about it, they don't even talk about her plastic surgery at all. The documentary is about her career as a comedienne, which is actually much more storied and interesting than you'd think.

She guest hosted the Tonight Show and she was on the list for possible replacements for Carson. She was a dark horse but she made the list. That's a hell of a career.

Thomamelas on
    edited January 2011
    Honk wrote: »
    Did you lose a coin toss, Fartacus?

Because your name is pretty gross.

no I picked this one

i thought it was a pretty good pun

i may have been high

Fartacus on
  • Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    well shit bowen, i don't know how valid this is, but it looks sound from a cursory glance

check it out
    if he's still trying to do that 500 calorie restriction diet I know the answer
    :P

Fuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud on
  • ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2011

Yeap, me too. I would have called 911 on either of the two (and the fucking chick too for that matter) without even speaking to them.

I would absolutely not confront a potential criminal over someone else's bike.

Seriously, I've called the cops to report crimes or weird shit ain't no thing. I don't confront or hang around. Just call the fucking po po and be done with it. So many wackjobs that could turn a "Hey are you stealing that?" into a fucking blood bath.

I've also called the cops on neighbors having what sounded like a domestic dispute.

I get really sick of people trying to use statistics as proof of what I would do.

You don't know me.

I've only called the cops once, when a friend was trying to drink herself unconscious and suddenly stopped responding online.

Turns out it was nothing but I'm still glad I did it. She'd been locked in her room and her roommate didn't even know what was going on. After the police came she took care of her.

Shivahn on
    edited January 2011
    Did you lose a coin toss, Fartacus?

Because your name is pretty gross.

no I picked this one

i thought it was a pretty good pun

i may have been high

You are so gross dude. Or lady.

So gross.

Honk on
  • ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    hey arch

so I agree that fMRI isn't always treated with the necessary skepticism, especially by the media (again I think it's important to distinguish popular response from professional procedure)

but what do you make of studies like this, then: http://www.physorg.com/news196508066.html -- which demonstrate strong, statistically-significant predictive power based on brain imaging?

If it doesn't signify anything, doesn't it stand to reason that fMRI would struggle to predict anything accurately? Also, I can't help but think of the fMRI imaging efforts where scientists have attenuated fMRI to determine successfully what images or letters people are picturing in their brains

of course in both cases we're talking about researchers using relatively sophisticated statistical techniques, so presumably they're using best practices along the lines recommended in the salmon article,

but personally I don't read stuff like that as "fMRI is bunk" so much as "be careful because it's not hard to mess this shit up."

no i totally agree- my point isn't that "it is completely bunk" but i should be more clear

a paper i just read cites that 76% of papers published in major journals that report fMRI data use uncorrected statistics with either abnormally high p values, or arbitrary significance values for their data.

which makes me suspect of any claim of universality or behavioral response based on fMRI data alone

Arch on
  • WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

No, because black people don't have tons of white guilt exploding out of them constantly. :wink:

They do find it hilarious though, according to my friend kevin who likes to attend racially insensitive parties dressed as a mexican.

White guilt is pretty fucking stupid, honestly. Honkies be tripping.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'm a fucking waste of space.

I went to my advisor today to fill out a form that would allow me to replace my old failing grade in Orgo II with the new grade I get this semester.

I walk in and sit down and she's like "I told you last semester, the deadline for this was last Friday."

I may have fucked up my chance of getting into graduate school by five fucking days.

brb killing self

Winky on
    edited January 2011
    I made hot chocolate, and even though I can taste that the milk is not alright it still tastes very good but in a weird way.

Honk on
    edited January 2011
    Shivahn wrote: »

I've only called the cops once, when a friend was trying to drink herself unconscious and suddenly stopped responding online.

Turns out it was nothing but I'm still glad I did it. She'd been locked in her room and her roommate didn't even know what was going on. After the police came she took care of her.

Ominous.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited January 2011
    japan wrote: »
    i

what

is
    The Macsween vegetarian haggis consists of kidney beans, lentils, peanuts, walnuts, almonds, carrots, turnip, mushrooms and vegetable margarine, together with the traditional ingredients of oatmeal, onions and our special blend of spices and seasoning.

i what bluh

i dont

why

Arch on
  • stevemarks44stevemarks44 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

Yeap, me too. I would have called 911 on either of the two (and the fucking chick too for that matter) without even speaking to them.

I would absolutely not confront a potential criminal over someone else's bike.

Seriously, I've called the cops to report crimes or weird shit ain't no thing. I don't confront or hang around. Just call the fucking po po and be done with it. So many wackjobs that could turn a "Hey are you stealing that?" into a fucking blood bath.

I called the cops on a drunk driver once. Watched the cop pull her over too. My friends called me a narc but I felt really good about myself. Shit was dangerous, she was swerving.

Your friends are fucking idiots. Drunk drivers are god damn dangerous.

There's a very odd culture that exists in LA about drunk driving that I was repulsed to find here.

Things in LA are very far from each other and people are by and large not loaded with expendable income, thus cabs are usually too expensive. At least 4 or 5 different people ranging from 22-32 have told me that there's nothing wrong with "learning to drive drunk" in LA. Kind of that "You've got to get home somehow!" mentality. I honestly only did it once and it was three blocks (literally) in a straight line at 3am with nobody on the road and I was doing 20mph. It was still too dangerous and freaked me out. I don't get how people can drive down Sunset Blvd doing 40 and get away with it/justify it.

stevemarks44 on
  • NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2011
    I'm sure everything will turn out okay, winky :(

Nerdgasmic on
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Yeah, I find it interesting when somebody publishes a study with an alpha of, like, 0.20.

Especially when their sample size is 10.

:^: gj guys

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

edited January 2011
    I saw a pretty cute curvy black girl at the hot springs last weekend.

Made me think of you, Fartacus. I think it was the day after you were hells of drunk in [chat] talking about big butts.

god I love butts
    Naked hot springs

fffffffffffffffffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

why dont we have naked hot springs in south carolina?

wait answered my own question

Arch on
    edited January 2011

this basically

I think it's pretty easy to tell that I'm a self-hating white guy who tries too hard, even over the internet

but I appreciate the compliment, fluffy

:P

Fartacus on
  • EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Is a sample size of ten even a defensible position, statistically speaking?

Eddy on
    "and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
    edited January 2011
    Winky wrote: »

I went to my advisor today to fill out a form that would allow me to replace my old failing grade in Orgo II with the new grade I get this semester.

I walk in and sit down and she's like "I told you last semester, the deadline for this was last Friday."

I may have fucked up my chance of getting into graduate school by five fucking days.

brb killing self

Dude that sucks.

Go over her head.

Feral on

• ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2011

If the effect is strong enough, maybe?

Shivahn on
    edited January 2011

depends

and thus therein lies the problem

Arch on
    edited January 2011
    I made hot chocolate, and even though I can taste that the milk is not alright it still tastes very good but in a weird way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlTvWvfEMxE

Supernatural fans will get this joke.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Added Massively to my RSS reader.

This will end poorly.

Silas Brown on
    edited January 2011

oh indeed

I've always heard that playing the race card with progressive whites is like the best pastime ever

it's like UK-Office levels of awkwardness

Fartacus on
  • WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Nerdgasmic wrote: »
    I'm sure everything will turn out okay, winky :(

My advising session was five minutes long.

One minute was her explaining to me that I had fucked up my GPA forever.

The next four minutes was me repeating "There is nothing I can do?" in increasingly more desperate tones.

Left before I started crying, though.

Winky on
    edited January 2011
    Winky wrote: »

brb killing self

Dude that sucks.

Go over her head.

sucks and you may ruin the ability to get a reference from her BUT

worth a shot

Arch on
    edited January 2011
    Nobody watches Supernatural, Preach. Nobody gets it.

Honk on
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    japan wrote: »
    i

what

is

i what bluh

i dont

why

Because otherwise the sequence of events at the dinner doesn't make any sense.

You need a haggis to pipe in and address.

japan on
  • YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Yeah, I find it interesting when somebody publishes a study with an alpha of, like, 0.20.

Especially when their sample size is 10.

:^: gj guys

I saw an article that said people remember less when reading from a Kindle than from a real book. Their sample size was like 20 people.

YamiNoSenshi on
  • TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Speaking of, I saw a pretty rockin' cover of I Like Big Butts over the weekend, performed by a jamband and including a bitchin' washboard solo.

Most fun I've had with that song since middle school.

TL DR on
    edited January 2011

no i totally agree- my point isn't that "it is completely bunk" but i should be more clear

a paper i just read cites that 76% of papers published in major journals that report fMRI data use uncorrected statistics with either abnormally high p values, or arbitrary significance values for their data.

which makes me suspect of any claim of universality or behavioral response based on fMRI data alone

ahh, I see

yeah I think that's a fair point

Fartacus on
    edited January 2011
    God that was some good chocolate. Totally worth diarrhea.

Honk on
  • Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Is white guilt sort of like original sin?

It's a thing exclusive to white liberals where they overcompensate for their privilege. It's not a bad thing, in and of itself, but frequently it becomes a thing where the white guilty person starts projecting it onto other people and that gets pretty old.

Regina Fong on
  • Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Damn, Winky D: I'm sorry

Silas Brown on
This discussion has been closed.