As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Magicka] Murder yourself with magic.

• Options
    BroncbusterBroncbuster Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    ronya wrote: »
    Okay, this game is totally not balanced for solo campaigning

Fights thus far seem to be a matter of "let me get right up in your face and spam area spells". Which is the entirely logical outcome with powerful slow and freeze effects:t there's no advantage to staying at range. This would be impossible for multiplayer, I suppose - too much friendly fire - but for solo play, it's pretty dang powerful

on the other hand, every fight with a risk of getting punted off the platform is incredibly annoying

Is there an optimal weapon/staff? The M60's range makes it pretty awesome, especially combined with a shield - hide behind it and fire away. For staffs, though, I have no idea.

I hardly use AoE, I'm a freeze/water earth, the beams. But I hear you on the platform stuff.

My favorite staff, the War staff, Double Health, damage resistance, the activate is a arcane missle (who cares). The first 2 makes you more awesome.

Broncbuster on
    steam_sig.png
    Origin: Broncbuster
  • Options
    MalechaiMalechai Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Picked this up today because I was bored and the demo was awesome, and now it's turned me, a long-time lurker, into a first-time poster. Add Rofl the Waffle on steam if you want to team up. Also, could someone pretty please invite me to the PA steam group?

Someone correct me if I am wrong but you can just join the group there isn't any need for an invite. Hell a few of the people in the group arn't even forum go'res and seeing the picture of Jim Darkmagic makes them think that it's actualy something that Jerry and Mike had a hand in.

Malechai on
    sig5ez4.jpg
  • Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011

Fights thus far seem to be a matter of "let me get right up in your face and spam area spells". Which is the entirely logical outcome with powerful slow and freeze effects:t there's no advantage to staying at range. This would be impossible for multiplayer, I suppose - too much friendly fire - but for solo play, it's pretty dang powerful

on the other hand, every fight with a risk of getting punted off the platform is incredibly annoying

Is there an optimal weapon/staff? The M60's range makes it pretty awesome, especially combined with a shield - hide behind it and fire away. For staffs, though, I have no idea.

I hardly use AoE, I'm a freeze/water earth, the beams. But I hear you on the platform stuff.

My favorite staff, the War staff, Double Health, damage resistance, the activate is a arcane missle (who cares). The first 2 makes you more awesome.

War Staff is awesome. I picked up the Aristo-staff after that to test the "resistance to all elements" (apparently 75%). Great, effectively quadruple the amount of elemental damage you can take instead of double.

Buuut it sinks your healing, too. Booo. I might swap back to the War Staff if I find one.

Freeze/water beams? Or freeze/water/earth charge-and-fire icicles? I dunno, the shotgun effect is pretty neat vs mobs but the DPS is low compared to spamming AoE spells. Seriously, try it.

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2011

War Staff is awesome. I picked up the Aristo-staff after that to test the "resistance to all elements" (apparently 75%). Great, effectively quadruple the amount of elemental damage you can take instead of double.

Buuut it sinks your healing, too. Booo. I might swap back to the War Staff if I find one.

Freeze/water beams? Or freeze/water/earth charge-and-fire icicles? I dunno, the shotgun effect is pretty neat vs mobs but the DPS is low compared to spamming AoE spells. Seriously, try it.

The emergency teleport staff you can get from the goblin mage where you find nulify is preaty good for saving your hide in a pinch. Demon arms are also realy good for dealing with enemies at range. Just cast rain and an arcane frost combo to freeze everything and que up an earth shot and let it rip at full charge to instant gib preaty much anything.

Malechai on
    sig5ez4.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Okay, this is starting to become silly: boss fight with
    Death

I don't even move at all - just spam heal AoE over and over again. For the whole damn fight! And it works hilariously well, even the little skeleton summons eventually walk into range.

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    RakeethRakeeth Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I got confused status in one of my games. Now I cant get rid of it. every time I rez or join a new game its there. How do you get rid of it?

Ok this is ridiculous, I start a new character and try to play single player and i'm still confused. this game is unplayable.

Rakeeth on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Confused status?

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Ok I'm a silly goose and can't cast Meteor Shower. Whenever I try to make steam it overwrites something else. What retardedly obvious thing am I missing?

Bigity on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Fire Earth Steam Earth Fire, right? For Steam, cast the Fire before the Water, then the Water will combine with the second Fire instead of the first.

So in basic elements it is: Fire Earth Fire, Water Earth Fire.

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Ah. I always do water then fire for steam, durp.

Thanks.

It was also satisfying putting Crash to Desktop on Dude with Herpes

Bigity on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I get the feeling they only tossed in Steam and Ice to mess people up

It makes the little icons useless, for sure, since you have to watch out for conflicts like that one - you just have to resort to memorizing the actual key sequence to press. Meh.

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    DyvionDyvion Back in Sunny Florida!!Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

It makes the little icons useless, for sure, since you have to watch out for conflicts like that one - you just have to resort to memorizing the actual key sequence to press. Meh.

I feel like they added Steam and Ice to add variety. And I wish they had Mud (earth/water) and a few others I can't think of right now. More combo's can only be better!

Dyvion on
    Steam: No Safety In Life
    PSN: Dyvion -- Eternal: Dyvion+9393 -- Genshin Impact: Dyvion
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    They could have just put in a ninth and tenth button for Steam and Ice, if so. Fire+Water and Water+Cold could still add up to Steam and Ice, but there'd be no situation where one has to hammer more than five keys to get five symbols out.

More combos would rock, yeah, but I'd prefer if it didn't come with UI confusion.

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Dyvion wrote: »

I feel like they added Steam and Ice to add variety. And I wish they had Mud (earth/water) and a few others I can't think of right now. More combo's can only be better!

I'm with you on that. I found it refreshing, although, steam I can't think of many spells that water doesn't do as well, unless it's mixing lightning (uber beam ftw). Maybe I'm missing something with it, I find stuff that works well and usually stick to it.

Current favorite, fire volcano's from swords.

Broncbuster on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    alset85alset85 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Current favorite, fire volcano's from swords.

Those goddamn druids use it all the time. I die so much from them.

alset85 on
    override said: I can't wait until Toady causes pressurized water to be able to actually damage things. I want to hit goblins with a shit cannon of such pressure that the meat is ripped from their bones

Steam ID
  • Options
    LemmingLemming Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    If you ever want to be hilariously ultra safe, just make a giant rock wall around you then spam Lightning over and over. Remember to re-cast rock wall and personal shield every so often. And water shield if you're fighting the druids so trying to cast lightning doesn't kill you.

Lemming on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Another ultra safe:

Area shield, healing mines, healing mines, healing mines, healing mines (repeat as many times as desired). You don't need to trigger them; each alternate set of mines will trigger the past set. Turns out that you can overheal the shield. Then just run to the edge and M60 everything, or drop arcane mines (which can fall outside the shield).

I need to try the rock wall thing, though.

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    SudsSuds Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Another one, staff of electricity immunity and lightning storm. Hells yeah.

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    You can use negate to kill all the skeletons on Death instantly.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2011

Work on zombies too? From those damn wizards?

Broncbuster on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2011

Work on zombies too? From those damn wizards?

It should.

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    ToothyToothy Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So this game was pretty fun. It took a friend of mine and I a little while to get used to it, but the intense PvP battles were pretty great. It was a lot of fun to sit there and counter eachother's spells, and it's funny how we tended to work towards differing spell types. If I had a dollar for every time one of us said, "WHHHYYYYY." as we exploded or catapulted off of a cliff, I'd be a rich man.

Toothy on
  • Options
    AumniAumni Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Wasn't sure if I should post it here. But hey why not it's Magicka related:
    So hey. Contest.

Magicka is the prize. Three times.

Rules: Funny Magicka related videos/pictures/n'stuff, either link something funny or make something funny(bonus points).

Stipulations: You need a steam account! No newbs to the forums. PM me with your entries. I'll share the good ones. If everyone's entry is awesome I'll pick winners out of a hat. Winners may be forced into coop games.

Oh yeah, deadline.

3 days from today 9pm Eastern

Aumni on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
  • Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2011
    latest patch fucked everyones game, a lot of people are showing as modified when they aren't. =/

Morkath on
  • Options
    DogEightDogEight Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Achievements won't be tracked until next patch :( We'll compensate by designing some new achievos. Any requests?

I guess Paradox is saying hotfix on Monday.

DogEight on
  • Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'm having some weird, huge slowdown.

I'm trying to play Challenge mode with 2 friends. I had tried this before with one friend up to wave 18 and it worked great. Right now I tried it with 2 and it seemed to do fine (up to wave 19), but after a couple of games it would drop to single digit FPS and lag it for everyone else (I'm hosting.) It doesn't start right away (must be a few waves in) but it seems to not be related to what's going on in-screen (not related to number of enemies or spells.)

Ugh, kinda ruining the moment here.

Drovek on
    steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    They seemed to have fixed the modder issue.

Morkath on
  • Options
    MusanMusan Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    The Magicka developers did some commentary while playing the game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYkAKqys6Ds&feature=channel_video_title

Huh, clicking banana during the tutorial skips it.

Musan on
  • Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I just started playing this, really lttp i know, and i'm having a blast but, it's kind of sad how one beam type appears to be aknowledged as far better than everything else (electricity ice) so everyone uses it, so there are never any misfire explosions

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    DkarrdeDkarrde Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    You'll find that beams have certain, uh, issues. Especially later on when enemies start using beams too. I've used more than my fair share of RPGs (earth fire arcane) and other means of getting rid of nasty things aside from beams.

Dkarrde on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    ah well i'm on chapter 8 now, playing with some pubbies (the pubby community seems surprisingly good) and so far it's been beam beam beam, hopefully it gets more divided soon

taliosfalcon on
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Is there still an active community for this game?

subedii on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    subedii wrote: »
    Is there still an active community for this game?

well as long as I host, my games were filling up within seconds, and this was at 2-6 AM sunday morning

taliosfalcon on
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Yeah I just had a look at the stats, and apparently Magicka's reaching about 2500 simultaneous players on a given day. That's better than most games on the list, Monday Night Combat tops out around 1000.

Also that dev commentary is awesome. I'll have to refrain from watching more than the first part so that I don't spoil things beyond what I played in the demo.

subedii on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I just started playing this, really lttp i know, and i'm having a blast but, it's kind of sad how one beam type appears to be aknowledged as far better than everything else (electricity ice) so everyone uses it, so there are never any misfire explosions

You should throw in some water beams just for laughs. Not only that but freezing wet enemies and hitting them with a fully charged earth spell is so satisfying.

Malechai on
    sig5ez4.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Or be a cool kid and do steam electricity beams. :)

Morkath on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Morkath wrote: »
    Or be a cool kid and do steam electricity beams. :)

Everyone does that though. Eventually you change it up just to be different ya know?

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    If that thing was like half that price, I'd be sorely tempted.

Drake on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    indeed, when a non magicka terry cloth robe can be had for 20$ or less 85$ is a bit too much of a markup for me magicka or no magicka

taliosfalcon on