As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Starcraft 2: "Well sometimes you don't even listen to me!"

• Options
    TotalBiscuitTotalBiscuit Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    JAEF wrote: »
    Sceptre wrote: »
    He's definitely not the deep insight type of caster, but he doesn't try to be. He's just amazing at commentating and making games feel epic and fun, which makes him perfect for watching most games. I mean, the amount Im going to learn watching a TvT/ZvZ/TvZ is very little, regardless of how knowledgeable the caster is.
    It's not even about learning, it's about focusing on and pointing out what kind of meta strategies and long term effects current gameplay is going to have, as well as having a more involved knowledge of common builds to be able to predict a bit of game flow.

Most people do not care about these things, nor should a single caster really be expected to be able to handle all of that, plus do good play-by-play. There's a reason why sports has casting teams with commentators dedicated to different roles such as play-by-play, colour and analysis.

TotalBiscuit on
  • Options
    EzekielEzekiel Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    He's definitely not the deep insight type of caster, but he doesn't try to be. He's just amazing at commentating and making games feel epic and fun, which makes him perfect for watching most games. I mean, the amount Im going to learn watching a TvT/ZvZ/TvZ is very little, regardless of how knowledgeable the caster is.
    It's not even about learning, it's about focusing on and pointing out what kind of meta strategies and long term effects current gameplay is going to have, as well as having a more involved knowledge of common builds to be able to predict a bit of game flow.

Most people do not care about these things, nor should a single caster really be expected to be able to handle all of that, plus do good play-by-play. There's a reason why sports has casting teams with commentators dedicated to different roles such as play-by-play, colour and analysis.

“Here’s a guy who when he runs, he moves faster.”

Ezekiel on
    428475-1.png
    I will throw you on the land and hurl you on the open field. I will let all the birds of the air settle on you and all the beasts of the earth gorge themselves on you. I will spread your flesh on the mountains and fill the valleys with your remains. I will drench the land with your flowing blood all the way to the mountains, and the ravines will be filled with your flesh. - Ezekiel 32: 4-6
  • Options
    TheBogTheBog Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Chargelot?

TheBog on
  • Options
    JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

I don't mean to disparage your casting, this conversational thread was started with my personal preference for casters. Obviously as someone who plays the game that's going to be different from Joe Casual who wants a more straightforward commentary. Commentaries like yours, Husky's and HD's have a great place as introductory/spectator sport casts, I just gravitate towards casters like Day9 and T/T (as a team, individually their casting isn't as good) as someone interested in how the metagame is evolving and furthering their own play.

Didn't realized you followed this thread also. Hello. Hope you got some food in you after that tournament, that was a ridiculous amount of games in a row.

JAEF on
  • Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Eh, I think TB's good at accurately and entertainingly explaining what's happening and what's likely to soon happen, which is more than I'd say for most casters.

iNcontrol's gotta be my favorite, as he brings excitement, irreverence and professional insight to the table.

kedinik on
    I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    peacekeeperpeacekeeper AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    incontrol is best at making fun of bronzies

peacekeeper on
  • Options
    JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Bah how could I forget incontrol. I watched a VoD of his coaching once and it's just sublime. [vidurl=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oR9bT1CFxjI]Here's an example[/vidurl] (not the particular one I watched), audio quality's a bit poor and it's a bronze player but just to give a taste.

Also just a personal pet peeve, "as well" needs to be banished from the casting lexicon.

JAEF on
  • Options
    StreltsyStreltsy Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

Not expected for hockey, soccer, or football, but I think it should be expected (and I certainly expect it) for a SC commentator. Despite similarities, SC isn't exactly a sport, and isn't exactly a chess game, it's somewhere in between.
    Top tier commentators have always had good analytical commentary in addition to good play-by-play and humour. I don't see this changing anytime soon.

Streltsy on
    410239-1.png
  • Options
    iowaiowa Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    It's matching me against dirty gold players <: (

I guess I have to abandoned my devout marauder-less terran builds.

iowa on
  • Options
    peacekeeperpeacekeeper AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    its much harder trying to be different in a mirror, you'll just have to fight firebears with firebears

peacekeeper on
  • Options
    EvangirEvangir Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    That... that Baneling... I have no words.

Evangir on
    PSN/XBL/STEAM: Evangir - Starcraft 2: Bulwark.955 - Origin: Bulwark955 - Diablo 3: Bulwark#1478
  • Options
    ImpyrockerImpyrocker Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Impyrocker on
    1345301-1.png
    Quasi ignis
    Flamma inferno
    Igne cutis
  • Options
    iowaiowa Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    man that neural parasite hold by mondragon on the daily right now was baller.

iowa on
  • Options
    SceptreSceptre Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Wait, mondragon plays this game?

Sceptre on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    seems like the last week had some damn good dailies in it. I need to watch the one that seemed to be on mechanics the other day and this one once it's archived. really glad about it.

edit - AHAHA, looked away for a few minutes since I missed the start of the daily anyway and there is just scribbling all over the screen. hilarious.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Ezekiel wrote: »

“Here’s a guy who when he runs, he moves faster.”

applause

total biscuit + john madden for best casting team 2011

Variable on
  • Options
    SaarutoSaaruto Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Damn how did I miss that TotalBiscuit posted in the thread? Celebs all up in this ish.

Saaruto on
    If you can chill, chill.
    Steam ID
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Serpico wrote: »
    Man, battlecruisers are so great in 2fac 2port builds. Slap a couple of armor upgrades on and those marines/thors are doing 1-2 damage a shot. Also finally getting a real hang of it, the guy I faced basically went the best possible build against it (marine/marauder/tank early push, adding thors/vikings after I held it off, and had turrets in his base before I got banshees out) and I still won pretty easily once his first attack was routed. Air superiority + blueflame hellions/cloaked banshee is basically cheating when it comes to map control.

I'm gonna be trying to learn this build tonight, re-reading the thread on TL right now, but when do you fit in an expo?

Variable on
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Saaruto wrote: »
    Damn how did I miss that TotalBiscuit posted in the thread? Celebs all up in this ish.

He does it off and on.

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    tuxkamentuxkamen really took this picture. Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    The gravitas bar for casters is whether or not they get offended when they see an extra-supply depot.

tuxkamen on

Games: Ad Astra Per Phalla | Choose Your Own Phalla
    Thus, the others all die before tuxkamen dies to the vote. Hence, tuxkamen survives, village victory.
    3DS: 2406-5451-5770
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    tuxkamen wrote: »
    The gravitas bar for casters is whether or not they get offended when they see an extra-supply depot.

TB talked about how they are clearly cooking pies in there while it was the first 3 minutes and nothing was happening.

I think he took the bar, broke it over his knee, and started beating other casters to death with it.

TB is the bestestest.

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    PoolCuePoolCue Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    total biscuit has a sort of bat signal where if you remark on his commentating style/skills, he will appear and tell you why he does what he does

it's happened a couple times already

PoolCue on
  • Options
    SerpicoSerpico Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Variable wrote: »
    Serpico wrote: »
    Man, battlecruisers are so great in 2fac 2port builds. Slap a couple of armor upgrades on and those marines/thors are doing 1-2 damage a shot. Also finally getting a real hang of it, the guy I faced basically went the best possible build against it (marine/marauder/tank early push, adding thors/vikings after I held it off, and had turrets in his base before I got banshees out) and I still won pretty easily once his first attack was routed. Air superiority + blueflame hellions/cloaked banshee is basically cheating when it comes to map control.

I'm gonna be trying to learn this build tonight, re-reading the thread on TL right now, but when do you fit in an expo?

Expoing is very much a reactive thing, if your opponent is sitting back don't worry too much about throwing it down though, you generally build up an excess of minerals with the build, and it's quite good at fighting larger armies as long as your hellions can take out the marines, letting your banshees shoot stuff down with impunity (this is how you have to hold off early marine/marauder/tank mixes pushing before you have your production going, kill off marines and let however many banshees you have deal with the rest). It does require you to be proactive about controlling the map so you can engage on your terms though, both to make sure your hellions don't get shredded before doing damage and to keep residual tanks/marauders from busting up your base while banshees deal with them. Combine that with the harass you should be doing (between your first hellion drop and your banshees you'll often cripple or just outright beat your opponent before the build even gets going) and you should always have an economic advantage. If your opponent FEs you're basically golden, since he'll have to invest in a lot of defense to protect his base while you don't need anything beyond maybe a raven.

I'd recommend playing it once or twice against the AI on very hard/insane though, both to get the BO down and to see how you fare against early pressure since from my experience the computer tends to push around the time your first few hellions are out and you're getting starports up.

Once you're settled into midgame, you're pretty much gravy - between hellions and banshee you have complete control of the map which, with your superior viking count, your opponent can't do anything about, and once you have a nice group of hellions you can pretty much expand at will since air is the key to your dominance. Unless your opponent goes mass marine (in which case you've probably won) you can afford to slow production once you get 10 - 20 hellions (depending on opponents marine count) in favor of getting expansions, as long as you keep producing vikings/banshees. Try to get air armor upgrades when you can, then start getting air weapons once you're at 2 or 3 armor (I generally get 1 weapon before 3 armor simply due to the cost difference), and get BCs if you're facing Thors.

Serpico on
  • Options
    MaratastikMaratastik Just call me Mara, please! Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'm debating on dropping protoss. Ever since I've started using drops and ghost...I've started to like playing terran more and more. This is just too much fun...

repimg-33-187249.jpg

Maratastik on
  • Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    3clipse wrote: »
    tuxkamen wrote: »

TB talked about how they are clearly cooking pies in there while it was the first 3 minutes and nothing was happening.

I think he took the bar, broke it over his knee, and started beating other casters to death with it.

TB is the bestestest.

He also suggested that a terran should convert the cafe on metal into a barracks, since while it'd be cramped it't be a lot harder to attack.

Anzekay on
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    kedinik wrote: »
    Ah, fast upgrades + mass speedling + infestor, my one true love.

mine. I created it! just like roach+queen+infestor

I am the visionary zerg

Jars on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Jars wrote: »
    kedinik wrote: »
    Ah, fast upgrades + mass speedling + infestor, my one true love.

mine. I created it! just like roach+queen+infestor

I am the visionary zerg

Pshhhhhhhhh, this was my go-to build when you were still ironing out roach/queen.

kedinik on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I'm trying out streaming, come watch me guys!

http://www.justin.tv/sceptre666

Sceptre on
  • Options
    KambingKambing Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

Sceptre666, really? ^_^

Kambing on
    @TwitchTV, @Youtube: master-level zerg ladder/customs, commentary, and random miscellany.
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Kambing wrote: »

Sceptre666, really? ^_^

Yes.

Don't judge me.

Sceptre on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Hey guys. Come watch this stream. I'm testing it. http://www.ustream.tv/channel/feidspar

TheBog on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    thanks a lot serpico

didn't run into any Ts on ladder tonight in 6 games so I didn't get to blindly try it :P

Variable on
  • Options
    SeguerSeguer of the Void Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I saw that edit, Sceptre.

Seguer on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    You didn't see anything Seguer...

You didn't see anything....

Sceptre on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Bog what is with the quality/screen size? oO

Also love the hot pink at the bottom :whistle:

Seguer on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    You didn't see anything Seguer...

You didn't see anything....
    Ceiling Probe is watching you Edit.

Seguer on
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Totalbiscuit egosearches

It's like hashtagging him!

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Seguer wrote: »
    Bog what is with the quality/screen size? oO

Also love the hot pink at the bottom :whistle:

Yeah. The hot pink line on the bottom is due to my screen being 1280 x 1024, but my flash encoder only being able to.... OOOHHH.. hahaha. Okay. I see where that is. I'm dumb. It'll be fixed next time.

Quality is 750 kbps bit rate. Was it good? Bad? Smooth? Choppy?

TheBog on
  • Options
    MaratastikMaratastik Just call me Mara, please! Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Need a little help in my TvP. Specifically how do you deal with one gate robo (or two gate robo) into fast colossi? It's this mid game push with the first two colossi that kills me. I can deal with late game TvP...but with colossi this early I don't know how I'm supposed to have enough units out in time to deal with it.

repimg-33-187266.jpg

Any help on dealing with this protoss build? (I'd really like any advice you might have on this, meeks).

-heading to bed so I won't see anything til morning, but I'd appreciate any feedback.

Maratastik on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    GSL is streaming something.

What is this, like, an intro to team matches?

e: Code S group nominations.

I guess people are bidding for what group they want to be in next season. Carry on.

kedinik on