As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Starcraft 2: "Well sometimes you don't even listen to me!"

• Options
    DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    my biggest fault was not building a second assimilator and then being unable to produce enough stalkers.

tips welcome!

DodgeBlan on
    Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • Options
    SeguerSeguer of the Void Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Oh god DodgeBlan, that was terrible reaction on your part :(

Dhal: my 9 scouts usually see 7 pools in time to finish the wall, however I still need to work on my reactions also.

Also DodgeBlan: don't wall with the pylon (unless you're Lemming)! It's so squishy compared to a gateway or core or forge.

EDIT: You lost the game as soon as you spotted the lings, and then tried to build a zealot whilst supply blocked :P

Seguer on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    yes that did hurt my pride greatly

edit: so what is the correct reaction, assuming I scouted at 10?

DodgeBlan on

• Options
    edited February 2011
    build the pylon back and complete the wall with a forge or gate?

DodgeBlan on

• Options
    SeguerSeguer of the Void Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Yeah, pylons as part of the wall are way too weak. You need to be able to hold the wall until you can get a cannon up (or if you went core to finish the wall, a stalker.. but that takes longer than a cannon I believe)

Seguer on
  • Options
    peacekeeperpeacekeeper AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    update to gsl maps before gstl starts tomorrow night

they've pretty much got rid of all the rocks at expos and gold expos removed or returned to blue

also this
    modified version of Lost Temple, Xel'Naga Cavarns, Metalopolis.

Pre-installed destructible neutral supply depots to prevent entrance-blocking with two bunkers or three pylons.

peacekeeper on
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    This is why you don't Forge Fast Expand vs a Zerg who you know hasn't gone for 15 hatch.

http://www.gamereplays.org/starcraft2/replays.php?game=33&show=details&id=186900

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    peacekeeperpeacekeeper AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    so i beat some terran in a custom on lt, apparently it was "noob me" because i'm "just a dog"

he then goes on to inform me he is enjoying my mother sucking his dick and thanks me for it, i don't think that's actually happening though

peacekeeper on
  • Options
    iowaiowa Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Here's an interesting game, what would you guys have done in my shoes?
    repimg-33-186976.jpg

I misjudge when his roaches would hit my front and lose my main. Lets ignore the fact that he could have just taken down the bunker and won right there but ok. I have to sac my main to recover, leaving me with one base, 2 OC's and 3 raxes.

What were my options?

edit: he was smart to get air dominance for sure. Terran just doesn't have a strong air dominance, vikings can't hold their own versus mutas which means your banshees are exposed unless they stay near your ground army at all times. gah

iowa on
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    so i beat some terran in a custom on lt, apparently it was "noob me" because i'm "just a dog"

he then goes on to inform me he is enjoying my mother sucking his dick and thanks me for it, i don't think that's actually happening though

you never know

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Droppin siege tanks aw yeah

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    His CorkinessHis Corkiness Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

I can guarantee it isn't happening.

His Corkiness on
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

they've pretty much got rid of all the rocks at expos and gold expos removed or returned to blue

also this

Pre-installed destructible neutral supply depots to prevent entrance-blocking with two bunkers or three pylons.

Well clearly those maps made it really tough to get a third....

I wish they hadn't removed the golds though. Those are always an interesting twist

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Dhalphir wrote: »

you never know
    Maybe PK's Dad is a BMer

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I just got beat by an immortal/void ray 1 base all in. lol

If you get gas early enough its not a joke build I guess. I let him get away with it cuz i was fast expanding myself.

you can get tons of immortals out of 1 robo with chronoboost

iowa on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I like all the changes to the maps, and the supply depot is a great idea

that one map looks like you have a 3rd that's insanely safe to take. interesting. should be a lot lot lot of fun to watch

team league won't have english commentary right? I'll watch if I'm awake I guess but it's a bummer to not be able to understand the commentary.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    GarethMagisGarethMagis Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    The ladder is making me incredibly angry. I'm a total newb and lost 18 games in a row until i switched from zerg to protoss. I'm assuming thats why i'm facing such easy opponents. It's making me mad though when i'm slowly going up my ladder i get 0 points for 2 games and then maybe 2 points from the next 1 and then another 2 games where i get no points. This goes on for about 10 games at which point i look and i have 14 points which laughably puts me in 29th in my league. The next match is a zerg, apparently zergs in bronze league know only one build, and thats the six pool. i unfortunately have never, ever, ever, never been able to defend the 6 pool and thus i lose.

So i'm like ok thats not that bad i just lost one match i fight very few zerg right now then i look, oh look i just lost 14 points and am now in 41st in my league (yes you can get to 41st if you beat someone).

is the basic premise just to wall in the entire ramp and place cannons behind it, especially if i have the knowledge that i'm gonna get 6 pooled straight from the begining?

GarethMagis on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I have time in between work, wanted to see if starcraft was being streamed by anyone

... zotac cup by glhf.tv. cool.

except it's been a half hour and all he's said is 'please retweet this' like twenty times. no games. wtf BRO

I should have napped.

ah alright mana vs nama coming up I think.

Variable on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    The ladder is making me incredibly angry. I'm a total newb and lost 18 games in a row until i switched from zerg to protoss. I'm assuming thats why i'm facing such easy opponents. It's making me mad though when i'm slowly going up my ladder i get 0 points for 2 games and then maybe 2 points from the next 1 and then another 2 games where i get no points. This goes on for about 10 games at which point i look and i have 14 points which laughably puts me in 29th in my league. The next match is a zerg, apparently zergs in bronze league know only one build, and thats the six pool. i unfortunately have never, ever, ever, never been able to defend the 6 pool and thus i lose.

So i'm like ok thats not that bad i just lost one match i fight very few zerg right now then i look, oh look i just lost 14 points and am now in 41st in my league (yes you can get to 41st if you beat someone).

is the basic premise just to wall in the entire ramp and place cannons behind it, especially if i have the knowledge that i'm gonna get 6 pooled straight from the begining?

yeah go ahead and cannon-wall. I would if I were in bronze league, no shame.

You'll be set back; but once you've established defense just go ahead and play as you want to man.

iowa on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    terrible commentating, I'd barely called it commentating.

but whatever at least it's a game now

Variable on
  • Options
    His CorkinessHis Corkiness Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I hate it when observers scroll around the map like that. It's dizzying.

edit: also he thinks turrets do splash damage

His Corkiness on
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Seguer wrote: »
    Look Dover, if you want it, you take it. I only did because we were almost at 100 :P

I'm not mad or anything, actually quite the opposite. It's good to know that guys like you and 3clipse will step up and grab a hold of the thread without creating a monsterously different OP. Every time the thread reaches 100 pages it always seems to fall at 3am for me. I needs my sleep. :) What I'm trying to say is, thanks for havin' my back.

Kami wrote: »
    Dover my constructive criticism is to NEVER CHANGE

I LOVE YOU, AND BSG

Back at you Kami. I love BSG too and it actually hurts me to see my model not live up to the standards of the ships in the show. Gotta learn to walk before you run though.

And Dover my criticism is:

Good hunting
    What do you hear Fading?

PantsB wrote: »
    NERD!
    hi5

LOL. Wanna hear something nerdier? While the model is mainly for my 3D class, I'm also doubling it as an anniversary gift. My girlfriend LOVES BSG so I'm going to throw a texture on the front of the ship with my her name on it, ala "Laura" on the Blackbird.

So opinion time, to maximize my boyfriend status, should I:

-put just her name on it (to closely mirror the show)
    -put her name plus "Happy Anniversary" or "Happy First Anniversary" etc
    -put "To my love" or something along those lines
    -some other random cool, funny, or lovey-dovey BSG quote

I can fit just about anything by changing the nose of the ship by modifying text size. Here's a reference shot of the area I'm going to use, plus another excuse to get more people to comment. <3

viper_2.png

MNC Dover on
    Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I hate it when observers scroll around the map like that. It's dizzying.

edit: also he thinks turrets do splash damage

he seems to have some good knowledge though yeah that was weird. odd caster but I'm realizing he seems to be english as a second language so, some leeway I think can be granted

but WTF I can't believe dimaga gg'd. regular idra style.

edit - I wish the chat rooms were across bnet like friends lists. so I could chat while on WoW, I mean.

Variable on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    this guy does have some great music though

... note to self, watch 2fac2port tvt replays! before I ladder again!

I'd rather fail with a plan than just lose because I sort of blindly made tanks and vikings and tried to force it.

Variable on
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Variable wrote: »
    this guy does have some great music though

... note to self, watch 2fac2port tvt replays! before I ladder again!

I'd rather fail with a plan than just lose because I sort of blindly made tanks and vikings and tried to force it.

You and me both man. I have no clue on TvT so I just make Tanks/Vikings/Marauders. Doesn't seem to work for me. :)

MNC Dover on
    Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    SaarutoSaaruto Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    As I'm watching the Mana vs Adelscott games from the TSL qualifiers, I'm thinking: why aren't we entering into the TL Opens? We'll lose in the first round...but it could be against someone famous!

Saaruto on
    If you can chill, chill.
    Steam ID
  • Options
    TheBogTheBog Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    also this

I think the supply depot change is dumb. Does it help against ramp blocks? Sure. But it's the most awkward way to try and bandaid the problem... Why is there a random terran building in this awkward spot? They need to solve the root of the problem, which is mostly map sizes and bunkers being salvageable.

TheBog on
  • Options
    LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Well, it's just a quick fix until they can use neutral lurker eggs when HOTS is released.

Lilnoobs on
  • Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    TheBog wrote: »
    also this

I think the supply depot change is dumb. Does it help against ramp blocks? Sure. But it's the most awkward way to try and bandaid the problem... Why is there a random terran building in this awkward spot? They need to solve the root of the problem, which is mostly map sizes and bunkers being salvageable.

It's a change made by GOM, so they can't really do anything about fixing bunkers. Also, they only added them to the decent blizzard maps they are still using in the GSL, the maps they just added are pretty big.

It's a bandaid fix, but it makes the good blizzard maps better, and I appreciate that. It's also the best they can do.

Anzekay on
  • Options
    KambingKambing Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Anzekay wrote: »
    also this

It's a change made by GOM, so they can't really do anything about fixing bunkers. Also, they only added them to the decent blizzard maps they are still using in the GSL, the maps they just added are pretty big.

It's a bandaid fix, but it makes the good blizzard maps better, and I appreciate that. It's also the best they can do.

They actually can fix bunkers how ever they want. Since its a custom map, they can certainly mess with the build time values of bunkers or whatever is necessary.

That being said, I hope they don't do it. The depot ramp fix is very interesting but also kind of scary. I don't like world where the ladder maps are so different in function than the maps played at the biggest tournament in the world. But at the same time 1) it'll encourage blizzard to recognize the problem and fix it and 2) this just may be how things pan out in the end.

Kambing on
    @TwitchTV, @Youtube: master-level zerg ladder/customs, commentary, and random miscellany.
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Kambing wrote: »
    also this

They actually can fix bunkers how ever they want. Since its a custom map, they can certainly mess with the build time values of bunkers or whatever is necessary.

That being said, I hope they don't do it. The depot ramp fix is very interesting but also kind of scary. I don't like world where the ladder maps are so different in function than the maps played at the biggest tournament in the world. But at the same time 1) it'll encourage blizzard to recognize the problem and fix it and 2) this just may be how things pan out in the end.

Well changing it for the maps then forces the players to only practice on said custom maps. No laddering, no playing the maps that haven't been altered, otherwise they are playing without the bunker changes, etc, that are on the custom maps.

Adding little things to maps as a band-aid fix is fine, changing actual game mechanics themselves is completely not and I sincerly hope GOM doesn't turn to that (and I really doubt they would).

Anzekay on
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    @Dover: Just the name. Simpler and classier is always better.

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    KambingKambing Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    also this

Well changing it for the maps then forces the players to only practice on said custom maps. No laddering, no playing the maps that haven't been altered, otherwise they are playing without the bunker changes, etc, that are on the custom maps.

Adding little things to maps as a band-aid fix is fine, changing actual game mechanics themselves is completely not and I sincerly hope GOM doesn't turn to that (and I really doubt they would).

Players are already forced to practice only on custom maps since roughly half the maps are not on ladder. That's the big negative right now in this whole map bifurcation deal.

And yeah, I hope GOM or any other tournament body doesn't go down the mechanics route, but depending on blizzard's turn around on critical balance issues, they may feel compelled to do it. Ideally, I hope these kinds of changes forces blizzard to be much more hands-on with the map-making/tournament community with respect to balance.

Kambing on
    @TwitchTV, @Youtube: master-level zerg ladder/customs, commentary, and random miscellany.
  • Options
    Joe KJoe K Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    hlprmnky wrote: »
    Is building a WP really going "out of your way", though? It won't prove anything at my terribad level of play, but now I'm interested to see how often I can sneak a WP/4 zealot drop into my play without feeling like I'm throwing away the midgame Big Battle(tm) for those 6 zealots' worth on the front line.

if you're going to drop something, drop something that you can't warp in. Immortals were my favorites. Warp in what youre comfortble with losing, but get the imms out of there once its clear that they're in danger.

Joe K on
  • Options
    Joe KJoe K Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    it appears Dover has more or less given up :P
    3clipse wasn't online, Dover hasn't done it in ages, and we were as close to page 100 as we've been in months.

I think it was my time to shine. :P

Now look here you bastards.

I'm gonna take my thread back, but I've been really busy with my Maya modeling class. I've been spending the last two weeks working on this: (spoilered for huge!)

viper_1.png

viper_2.png

viper_3.png

viper_4.png

Sadly, it's still not done. I gotta rework and tweak some of the textures, add lighting, and some kind of normal or bump mapping. Not bad for my first go with the software though. Any constructive criticism or feedback would be greatly appreciated.

<3

needs naked starbuck, k, thnx.

Joe K on
  • Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Joe K wrote: »
    3clipse wasn't online, Dover hasn't done it in ages, and we were as close to page 100 as we've been in months.

I'm gonna take my thread back, but I've been really busy with my Maya modeling class. I've been spending the last two weeks working on this: (spoilered for huge!)

viper_1.png

viper_2.png

viper_3.png

viper_4.png

Sadly, it's still not done. I gotta rework and tweak some of the textures, add lighting, and some kind of normal or bump mapping. Not bad for my first go with the software though. Any constructive criticism or feedback would be greatly appreciated.

<3

Needs Starbuck's charred corpse as her horrified reincarnation cries over it.

kedinik on
    I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Joe K wrote: »

viper_1.png

viper_2.png

viper_3.png

viper_4.png

<3

Gross and creepy, especially since original Starbuck is a dude.

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    snip

Players are already forced to practice only on custom maps since roughly half the maps are not on ladder. That's the big negative right now in this whole map bifurcation deal.

And yeah, I hope GOM or any other tournament body doesn't go down the mechanics route, but depending on blizzard's turn around on critical balance issues, they may feel compelled to do it. Ideally, I hope these kinds of changes forces blizzard to be much more hands-on with the map-making/tournament community with respect to balance.

They do, this is true, but with changes to mechanics they wont be able to play on ladder at all. Period. That was my point. It severely limits the way in which players are able to practice. Even if half the maps aren't on the ladder rotation, laddering can still be a good way for some of the players- in paticular those without teams or team houses (like some of the foreigners)- and so completely removing that would be a bit too much.

Anzekay on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I like the depot thing. don't see a problem with it at all really but I can understand the complaint that there's a deeper issue... it's just that to solve said issue they have to take a bit more liberties than just adding a depot

as for it being a random thing, eh, so are rocks and weren't there random creep things in BW? although I guess that was so zerg could build on em.

I just really really strongly hope blizz sees the issue and fixes it on ladder. I want to play the maps all my nerd heroes are playing on while I ladder.

Variable on
  • Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    playing with buddies yesterday

we are in the bronze league

probably belong in silver

played some really amazing teams in bronze

turns out one of them was made up of half platinum players and half diamond players, playing placement matches. We almost took them down, but made a few critical mistakes and lost. Good game.

The other group in question is all diamond players with lots of experience in every type of match. The best of them had 4900 games under his belt. My friend who looked all this up claims that means the guy has played 40 hours a week since the game came out. Pretty sure his math is off, but the point is, what the fuck is the automatcher doing sending 3 veteran diamond players against guys already placed in bronze? We had to play these guys twice. How the hell does that happen?

I don't mind playing people better than me but it's demoralizing to be completely outclassed.

Powerpuppies on
    sig.gif