As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Starcraft 2: "Well sometimes you don't even listen to me!"

• Options
    SceptreSceptre Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    The ladder is making me incredibly angry. I'm a total newb and lost 18 games in a row until i switched from zerg to protoss. I'm assuming thats why i'm facing such easy opponents. It's making me mad though when i'm slowly going up my ladder i get 0 points for 2 games and then maybe 2 points from the next 1 and then another 2 games where i get no points. This goes on for about 10 games at which point i look and i have 14 points which laughably puts me in 29th in my league. The next match is a zerg, apparently zergs in bronze league know only one build, and thats the six pool. i unfortunately have never, ever, ever, never been able to defend the 6 pool and thus i lose.

So i'm like ok thats not that bad i just lost one match i fight very few zerg right now then i look, oh look i just lost 14 points and am now in 41st in my league (yes you can get to 41st if you beat someone).

is the basic premise just to wall in the entire ramp and place cannons behind it, especially if i have the knowledge that i'm gonna get 6 pooled straight from the begining?

If you want, a few of us could six pool you a few games in a row to help you learn to stop it. We're always down for stuff like that.

Sceptre on
  • Options
    MovitzMovitz Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    If you scout at 10 (always scout at 10) and see a pool, at all. Try getting that choke down and put a zealot in there by chrono boosting. You might have to fend of the first wave with your probes though. But if you survive you will win, guaranteed. A 6pool is totally devastating to a zergs economy.

Hell, I'm glad if I see a pool at ten. I just put 1 spine down asap and fend them of with drones. Then as soon as the Queen pop it's pure out-macro. Except for steppes, because then you die. :lol:

Movitz on
  • Options
    TheBogTheBog Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    So after hearing TotalBiscuit praise XSplit as his streaming software I decided to give it a shot. Gotta register to download it? Fine. Won't install because it requires microsoft NET 2.0 or higher?.. Okay. Download that. NET 4.0 won't install because of my WIC or something?... Fine.. download that. Install WIC. Install NET 4.0. Install XSplit. Finally! Here we go!... NET framwork initialization error.. This thing can suck a dick as far as I'm concerned.

TheBog on
  • Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    XSplit glitches and sucks up lots of processing power compared to just VH Screen Cap + FMLE, in my experience.

kedinik on
    I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    SeguerSeguer of the Void Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Really guys, I have no issues with XSplit whatsoever, and they've been making good updates recently! XSplit is the only reason I can stream at the quality I do. It has no impact on performance either :D

EDIT: Also Dover I was totally contemplating (like 90% chance) of completely redoing the OP.

I may still do so 8-)

Seguer on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Yes but Seguer your computer chokes and dies on Skype while thriving with XSplit, it's an anomaly :P

kedinik on
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Movitz wrote: »
    If you scout at 10 (always scout at 10) and see a pool, at all. Try getting that choke down and put a zealot in there by chrono boosting. You might have to fend of the first wave with your probes though. But if you survive you will win, guaranteed. A 6pool is totally devastating to a zergs economy.

Hell, I'm glad if I see a pool at ten. I just put 1 spine down asap and fend them of with drones. Then as soon as the Queen pop it's pure out-macro. Except for steppes, because then you die. :lol:

Be careful of over-committing to defense of a 6pool because it might be a 7pool economic build which, if you assume it as an all-in you will be in trouble if you overreact with cannons or lose more than about 7 or so probes.

This thread title has disappointingly low amounts of my name in the title.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Can't find VH Capture anywhere online. The links on their home page are broken.

TheBog on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    TheBog wrote: »
    Can't find VH Capture anywhere online. The links on their home page are broken.

Teamliquid found a download link for its most useful version, http://pwnnoobs.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/vhscrcap.zip

kedinik on
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'm really excited to see if the 15 Nexus build has a serious future as a PvT opening on the large GSL maps.

You can almost get away with it even if the opponent punishes you on a small map like Steppes, let alone a big map like Crossfire or Tal'darim Altar.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    I'm really excited to see if the 15 Nexus build has a serious future as a PvT opening on the large GSL maps.

You can almost get away with it even if the opponent punishes you on a small map like Steppes, let alone a big map like Crossfire or Tal'darim Altar.

The maps are so huge and ramps are so tiny its hard to see a situation where it wouldn't be viable.

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Maybe tonight I'll hit up one of the Terrans in the PA chat channel and give it a few goes.

I'm wondering whether Zerg is going to have to make double hatch-first a standard vs Protoss if thats the case because 15 Nexus is already a thoroughly viable counter to 15 Hatch.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I'm pretty curious to see how each GSL player fares on these giant maps, given about half of them pretty much never expand past their natural.

kedinik on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Its going to be a pretty dramatic and abrupt shift of the metagame and I think we're going to see some fantastic games.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    His CorkinessHis Corkiness Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Terran will Find A Way to all-in off 1-2 bases every game.

His Corkiness on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Terran will Find A Way to all-in off 1-2 bases every game.

and by the time they get across the map their opponent will be on four bases with 200/200 :D

I think we'll see one of two things

1) All the all-in-favouring players will slowly perform worse and worse and eventually not be around as much

Or, and this is the one I think more likely....
    2) Lower-ranked players in Code A and below who are excellent macro players but didn't quite have the skill, micro, or experience to hold off some of the really powerful all-ins will rise to the challenge and make a name for themselves.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    kedinik wrote: »
    Yes but Seguer your computer chokes and dies on Skype while thriving with XSplit, it's an anomaly :P

Skype is the anomaly, spawned from Lucifer himself and placed upon our computers under the guise of a useful VOIP application, when really all it does is steal our megahurtz!

Seguer on
  • Options
    mastmanmastman Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    anyone watching the Fnatic tournament-- Totalbiscuit is ridiculous, love him.

mastman on
    ByalIX8.png
    B.net: Kusanku
  • Options
    peacekeeperpeacekeeper AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    and yet regardless of the size of the map 4gate will work

perhaps a fast double will have to be worked out

peacekeeper on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    A 5sz4gate on those huge maps would be brutal for people not expecting it.

Seguer on
  • Options
    hlprmnkyhlprmnky Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Joe K wrote: »
    hlprmnky wrote: »
    Is building a WP really going "out of your way", though? It won't prove anything at my terribad level of play, but now I'm interested to see how often I can sneak a WP/4 zealot drop into my play without feeling like I'm throwing away the midgame Big Battle(tm) for those 6 zealots' worth on the front line.

if you're going to drop something, drop something that you can't warp in. Immortals were my favorites. Warp in what youre comfortble with losing, but get the imms out of there once its clear that they're in danger.

See, I was thinking of sending an empty WP and using it as a movable proxy pylon; spending only a gateway cycle and 400 minerals on the zealots and then having the WP available to evac up to four survivors out of whatever I ended up committing.

Like I said, I'm not sure it could, or would work in tippy-top play where every mineral counts, but it feels like something worth trying if I can find the attention bandwidth to try it without doing more damage to my own macro than my opponent's. :p

I'm excited to try it out, but I haven't been able to ladder in days. Stupid adulthood. :(

hlprmnky on
    _
    Your Ad Here! Reasonable Rates!
  • Options
    JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    mastman wrote: »
    anyone watching the Fnatic tournament-- Totalbiscuit is ridiculous, love him.
    Wish there was a more analytical caster casting it. I'm tuning in on and off between games, he seems to excel at just being loud when action is happening. I prefer casters more focused on the metagame than "action action action!" for tournament play especially.

JAEF on
  • Options
    SceptreSceptre Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    He's definitely not the deep insight type of caster, but he doesn't try to be. He's just amazing at commentating and making games feel epic and fun, which makes him perfect for watching most games. I mean, the amount Im going to learn watching a TvT/ZvZ/TvZ is very little, regardless of how knowledgeable the caster is.

Sceptre on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Seguer wrote: »
    A 5sz4gate on those huge maps would be brutal for people not expecting it.

Well a 5s1z requires you to move 2 stalkers to the proxy pylon. A korean 4gate would probably be stronger

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
  • Options
    KambingKambing Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    As requested, an example of ling/infestor vs. terran that I've been working on polishing. Instead of blings on lair transition and mutas after bling speed, you get 1/1 ups on transition into a quick infestor pit. With neural, this lets you dissect the terran's army if they try to slow tank push you. And since the infestor pit is quick, the transition into 2/2, hive, and 3/5 ultras is very quick as well.

repimg-33-187186.jpg

(Usually I'll go hatch then 16 pool/gas against terran but in the replay I went with a greedy late gas instead.)

Kambing on
    @TwitchTV, @Youtube: master-level zerg ladder/customs, commentary, and random miscellany.
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Ah, fast upgrades + mass speedling + infestor, my one true love.

kedinik on
  • Options
    SerpicoSerpico Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Man, battlecruisers are so great in 2fac 2port builds. Slap a couple of armor upgrades on and those marines/thors are doing 1-2 damage a shot. Also finally getting a real hang of it, the guy I faced basically went the best possible build against it (marine/marauder/tank early push, adding thors/vikings after I held it off, and had turrets in his base before I got banshees out) and I still won pretty easily once his first attack was routed. Air superiority + blueflame hellions/cloaked banshee is basically cheating when it comes to map control.

Serpico on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Thank you for those of you who linked me to the VH Capture download. I have everything set up and tested my stream with some friends. Quality seems to be great on my desktop, but once I enter SC2 it seems to flicker a lot. Is this common? Is there a solution?

I use Adobe Flash Media Encoder 3.2, VH Capture, and ustream. I used the settings Day9 recommended in his guide (1000 bit rate and ~30 fps), but after complaints of flickering I lowered the bit rate to 200. Still flickering.

TheBog on
  • Options
    TotalBiscuitTotalBiscuit Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Thank you for those of you who linked me to the VH Capture download. I have everything set up and tested my stream with some friends. Quality seems to be great on my desktop, but once I enter SC2 it seems to flicker a lot. Is this common? Is there a solution?

I use Adobe Flash Media Encoder 3.2, VH Capture, and ustream. I used the settings Day9 recommended in his guide (1000 bit rate and ~30 fps), but after complaints of flickering I lowered the bit rate to 200. Still flickering.

Are you casting in fullscreen or fullscreenwindowed because fullscreen will cause the flickering.

Also Xsplit is just better in every way and much easier to setup but whatever works.

TotalBiscuit on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    What like.. Starcraft played in windowed mode? No, it was full screen. Let me try it in windowed mode (which might make it difficult to play, but I suppose it'd be alright for casting).

Also, I tried getting Xsplit to work, but it's been giving me many problems. I run Windows XP 64 bit, btw. Previous post: "So after hearing TotalBiscuit praise XSplit as his streaming software I decided to give it a shot. Gotta register to download it? Fine. Won't install because it requires microsoft NET 2.0 or higher?.. Okay. Download that. NET 4.0 won't install because of my WIC or something?... Fine.. download that. Install WIC. Install NET 4.0. Install XSplit. Finally! Here we go!... NET framwork initialization error.."

TheBog on
  • Options
    TannerMSTannerMS "I'm confidence cause I'm zerg!" Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Kambing wrote: »
    As requested, an example of ling/infestor vs. terran that I've been working on polishing. Instead of blings on lair transition and mutas after bling speed, you get 1/1 ups on transition into a quick infestor pit. With neural, this lets you dissect the terran's army if they try to slow tank push you. And since the infestor pit is quick, the transition into 2/2, hive, and 3/5 ultras is very quick as well.

repimg-33-187186.jpg

(Usually I'll go hatch then 16 pool/gas against terran but in the replay I went with a greedy late gas instead.)

I've been watching CatZ and Dimaga do something like this and it's amazing how good that fast hive is. There are very few problems that can't be solved with masses of upgraded speedlings. It's hilarious watching people encounter it for the first time and see their mass of marines doing 2-3 damage per hit on those angry ultras.

TannerMS on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Bog: XSplit has issues with WinXP, regardless of 32 bit/64 bit. Get Windows 7 already :P

Seguer on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    For me XSplit sporadically artifacts and can't handle a very high bitrate.

Maybe just some peculiarity of my rig, but that's been my experience.

kedinik on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Played in windowed mode and recorded with VH Capture. Upon watching it back, there's no flickering! That problem's solved. Thank you, TB. Now onto the next issue.

TheBog on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Played in windowed mode and recorded with VH Capture. Upon watching it back, there's no flickering! That problem's solved. Thank you, TB. Now onto the next issue.

Internet celebrity to the rescue!

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    PantsB wrote: »

Internet celebrity to the rescue!

What are you talking about, Trus hasn't posted recently.

kedinik on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Bog are you using "Fullscreen (windowed)"? Or actual windowed?

Fullscreen windowed is basically the best thing since sliced bread, and it is terrible that the majority of games still don't support it.

Seguer on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Sceptre wrote: »
    He's definitely not the deep insight type of caster, but he doesn't try to be. He's just amazing at commentating and making games feel epic and fun, which makes him perfect for watching most games. I mean, the amount Im going to learn watching a TvT/ZvZ/TvZ is very little, regardless of how knowledgeable the caster is.
    It's not even about learning, it's about focusing on and pointing out what kind of meta strategies and long term effects current gameplay is going to have, as well as having a more involved knowledge of common builds to be able to predict a bit of game flow.

JAEF on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Tried running both fullscreen windowed, and straight up windowed. Both seem to work well! Sticking with fullscreen windowed, obviously. I'll have to test this (and assigning specific CPU cores to specific tasks) with lots of viewers later. Studying for now!

Thanks again, guys.

TheBog on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Ah man feels so good to win matches. Beating golds and platinums after placing in silver today. Glad someone gifted me this game.

JAEF on