As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Fox/adult Disney animation] Krapopolis is apparently appropriately named

• Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    I stopped in the early teen seasons, my reaction to the movie was "it's alright, I guess", combined with bewilderment that anyone found the spider pig joke funny enough to keep bringing up as much as people did at the time.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Opty wrote: »
    For the Simpsons critique, every single thing he brings up as being explicitly bad, the golden era had plenty of. It had Homer acting as an absolute total jackass, it had celebrities showing up as themselves, and it had absurd situations. None of his complaints are specific to the era he's trying to decry, and as such I think his real complaint is "this isn't new to me anymore like it was back then, therefore I've grown bored of it and drifted away." I think it would take a much longer, closer, in-depth look at the series that doesn't bundle the seasons after 10 as one big monolith to rail against for a video like this to work properly.

For me, South Park jumped the shark with "Scott Tenorman Must Die" where they overstepped with how evil they could make Cartman and have the show still work.

Ya you could definitely use Cartmans personality as a main difference in each era.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Theres a difference between something happening very occasionally vs something being how things are every episode.

You can find instances of these things in older episodes here and there, but when judging the overall product and direction of the show the differences are clear.

But here's the thing: the golden age included episodes where Homer went to space and the family got attacked by a horde of killer Itchy and Scratchy robots, and everyone loved those.

The key difference here is how the outlandishness is pulled off. Those episodes were great. The one where horse racing jockeys are really magical gnomes, not so much. As I said before, I think the show's gotten better about using outlandishness for the characters to mine comedy rather than the outlandishness itself being the comedy, which rarely works well.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    I wonder how much of Simpson's hate over the years is simply "familiarity breeds contempt"

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    I wonder how much of Simpson's hate over the years is simply "familiarity breeds contempt"

Well they dont act like the Simpsons Im familiar with at all so

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    CokomonCokomon Our butts are worth fighting for! Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    Mr Khan wrote: »
    I have to be the only person who likes "The Principal and the Pauper."

My theory is that every season of The simpsons is it's own canon where every was born a year later (thus, keeping the ages consistent). Therefore, that episode is only canon in that particular season and in seasons referring directly to it.

This reminds me of an interesting series of videos I saw trying to deduce the Simpsons timeline.

Past:
    https://youtu.be/2BkQptKkj4E

Present:
    https://youtu.be/x6KtbrFX1Bk

Future:
    https://youtu.be/czGhxl2JE3Q

Cokomon on
    post.png
    Twitter: Cokomon | dA: Cokomon | Tumblr: Cokomon-art | XBL / NNID / Steam: Cokomon
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Don't worry @cloudeagle I still enjoy modern Simpsons too. :D

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    Well, this sucks: Simpsons composer Alf Clausen has been fired.

He was told by a producer that "a different kind of music" would be used going forward, presumably instead of his 35-piece orchestra. Looks like a cost-cutting measure.

He's been with the show from the very beginning, so this one hurts. Clausen was definitely part of the identity and feel of the show.

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »

He was told by a producer that "a different kind of music" would be used going forward, presumably instead of his 35-piece orchestra. Looks like a cost-cutting measure.

He's been with the show from the very beginning, so this one hurts. Clausen was definitely part of the identity and feel of the show.

That seems pretty big. . .hm.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2017

It could be this was last-minute scrambling sparked by a Fox directive to cut costs, and Alf was the only person that hadn't already started work on the next season. Plus music costs have been quoted as being in the millions each season, so I can see how the bean-counters would see him as a target. Hell, the main cast already took a pay cut.

28 seasons really is a major miracle when most shows get too expensive to continue before they hit 10 seasons, but if Fox is now going to crack the whip so hard it starts breaking up the long-time players I'd say it's time to wrap the show up with some dignity.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular

It could be this was last-minute scrambling sparked by a Fox directive to cut costs, and Alf was the only person that hadn't already started work on the next season. Plus music costs have been quoted as being in the millions each season, so I can see how the bean-counters would see him as a target. Hell, the main cast already took a pay cut.

28 seasons really is a major miracle when most shows get too expensive to continue before they hit 10 seasons, but if Fox is now going to crack the whip so hard it starts breaking up the long-time players I'd say it's time to wrap the show up with some dignity.

We passed dignity at best 10 years ago. It would be a mercy killing at this point.

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    This really seems like an "end of the road is near" indicator. Not from a creative standpoint (not really interested in rehashing that), but when you're reaching the point of cutting costs in other areas to keep things profitable, it seems highly doubtful that the next time cast contracts are up Fox is going to keep paying for it.

• Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    Yep, The Simpsons are on the way out, honestly have it hit 30 seasons and shut it down. 30 years is an exceptional run by any standards and the Simpson can honestly hold its head up high as far as most network sitcoms go. It has been better then average for most of that run.

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    This really seems like an "end of the road is near" indicator. Not from a creative standpoint (not really interested in rehashing that), but when you're reaching the point of cutting costs in other areas to keep things profitable, it seems highly doubtful that the next time cast contracts are up Fox is going to keep paying for it.

They've had a few, yet the show continues.

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Its been renewed up to season 30 right?

At this point just let it hit that and let it go out with a huge bang.

I actually have no idea what kind of cultural cache the Simpson holds nowadays.

• Options
    Kyougu wrote: »

Not as much as in the golden era but more than the nay-sayers would notice. Merch is still common and some of the more creative couch gags and shorts get some social media traction.

Ending the show would likely be a pretty big media event, especially if they had time to prepare.

• Options

Simpsons reign as a cultural juggernaut faded as soon as South Park entered the game.

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular

There's also likely a second movie in the pipeline

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options

Simpsons reign as a cultural juggernaut faded as soon as South Park entered the game.

And let's be honest, that would have happened even if the writing hadn't changed.

• Options

And let's be honest, that would have happened even if the writing hadn't changed.

Other competitors would have risen to the challenge, as well - like Seth McFarlane's shows.

• Options
    Simpsons producers have responded and said that Clausen will have an "ongoing role" in the show. Welp, that certainly clears that up!

http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/the-simpsons-alf-clausen-composer-fired-statement-1202544058/

• Options
    Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    Does "ongoing role" mean "we will recycle his already recorded music cues as much as possible"?

Captain Tragedy on
  • Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    Does "ongoing role" mean "we will recycle his already recorded music cues as much as possible"?

I'm surprised this wasn't being done already.

• Options
    I don't predict the death of the Simpsons any time soon. The writing on the wall at this point may as well be hieroglyphics.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Ya like it's at the point , ( especially with FOX) I worry that what if they just go the route of voice scanning and letting dialogue be frankensteined, with almost 3 decades of voices they'd have an easy database to build too.

What would be the rights for the voice actors in such a situation

• Options
    Ya like it's at the point , ( especially with FOX) I worry that what if they just go the route of voice scanning and letting dialogue be frankensteined, with almost 3 decades of voices they'd have an easy database to build too.

I think they would shut it down at that point. What I could see is the seasons getting smaller and eventually just having specials.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular

Its like we've written nothing at all!

Nothing at all!

Nothing at all!

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular

I recall in one Simpsons episode where Lisa was talking to the lady that voiced the Roadrunner, and the lady mentioned that she never said "Meep Meep". She just said "Meep" and they dubbed it.

• Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    If I was writing the Simpsons, I'd have the timeline actually move in the last season, one year per episode. Just go with it. The first episode opens in 1989. The second episode in 1990. The third episode in 1991. And so on and so forth. Each episode would be a callback to one of the episodes of that season, while referencing world events of that time, and ideally bringing back guest stars who were big at that time.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    Its also crazy to think that thanks to FXX, even when the Simpsons ends, it will be played pretty much forever.

Also I'm convinced that FXX actively avoids showing episodes from the classic seasons

• Options
    Heffling wrote: »

I recall in one Simpsons episode where Lisa was talking to the lady that voiced the Roadrunner, and the lady mentioned that she never said "Meep Meep". She just said "Meep" and they dubbed it.

That's an old trick, there's a cat ad where the "music" is a cat saying meow several times and they did the same for that.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    When it was on syndication they didn't play the old episodes to the point where it's what really soured me on the show.

I get that the show changed, I responded by not watching everything past S13, but I at least thought I would get the old good episodes in my weekly syndication on Fox. But nope, they used the newer episodes almost cyclical. There was probably some syndication royalty scheme to that but even then it was hella bullshit, lemme see Flaming Moe's not Homer makes a shitty Flanders song that's so popular they have to leave the town and be cowboys or something.

• Options
    edited September 2017
    New Futurama episode! Kinda!

It's going to be a double-length radio play thing on the Nerdist podcast, and that means the inexplicably-dividing Chris Hardwick will be in it. Supposedly it'll connect to the new app somehow. At any rate, the original cast and writers are doing it and Sept. the 14th is the day.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular
    Homer and Marge have definitely aged over the course of the series, but it wasn't enough of a change to make "That 90's Show" into a major retcon like some fans made it out to be.

In "The Way We Was" we learn that Homer and Marge were originally class of 1974. That episode was second season, airing in 1991. Assuming that was their senior year, and let's say Homer was old for his age cohort (which is a safe assumption), he was 18 in 1974 and thus 35 years old was his canon age in season 2. Other seasons have had people explicitly state his age as 39 or 40. But with Bart being 10, and it being established that their wedding was a reaction to Marge getting pregnant with Bart, then there were, at fewest, 7 years of them dating between high school and marriage, and at most, 12 such years, meaning there were always lost years to the Homer/Marge timeline.

• Options
    Apparently this year's Treehouse of Horror will feature a Coraline segment, with Neil Gaiman voicing Snowball II.

• Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Glal wrote: »
    It's actually about Bleach the manga, which for a time was right up there with Naruto and One Piece as the most popular thing evar. So, it's its fall as compared to when it was riding those heights. I personally did like the anime- the first season is slow, but it provides enough character development to make you care, and then the Soul Society arc hits and it's *chef's kiss*.

Then everything after that is a garbage pile slowly catching on fire more and more. The anime had a filler art and the filler arc was better than what came after.

As the show was concerned, great character designs, great concept and soundtrack, all goes to shit real fast as it became apparent that the author wrote himself into a corner and stopped caring altogether.

Also the one Hispanic character ever in an anime with a Godhand to boot, and they have him job like Yamcha. Utterly squandered potential.

Eyepatch makes some great vids and they’re very much worth checking out.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Tom Petty passed away. :(

He voiced Lucky in King of the Hill, which I always thought ended up being a great addition to the cast.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    He was one of the few celebrity voices in modern prime-time animation that didn't feel forced. That he could be a near regular in the later seasons helped to it.