As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Fire Emblem] Awakening: Out now in the colonies. Europe suffers still.

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Excellent, most excellent.

Now.

Where is Hector.

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Tell me one of you guys got this off the Japanese Club Nintendo site (400 coins):

$(KGrHqJHJEME91+M56,8BPoBBKqrmg~~60_35.JPG

If so, I need a hook-up please. :)

MNC Dover on
    Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    RockinXRockinX Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    Tell me one of you guys got this off the Japanese Club Nintendo site (400 coins):

$(KGrHqJHJEME91+M56,8BPoBBKqrmg~~60_35.JPG

If so, I need a hook-up please. :)
    There's one of those going for $25 on eBay. It's most likely used, but that shouldn't matter if you don't want to pay over $40.

Edit: Nevermind, it's a bid. You should consider getting it from eBay, because most likely there isn't anyone here with a Japanese Club Nintendo that checks this thread. The JRPG Club thread might have someone willing to help you, but it's possible that you need to get it from eBay.

RockinX on
  • Options
    Ike is the next DLC character. Looks like he slimmed up a bit from his steroid regimen on the Wii.

kero.png

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Meh...I like the GCN/Wii version better.

Nice chestpiece though.

• Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    From that angle it looks like his whole right arm is a sword.
    Which would be kinda rad.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Maz- wrote: »
    From that angle it looks like his whole right arm is a sword.
    Which would be kinda rad.

Yup.

Wouldn't entirely make up for him dropping from Final Fight protagonist to Final Fantasy protagonist in the toughness department, but it'd be fun.

• Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Meh...I like the GCN/Wii version better.

Yeah, me too. His head seems too big for his body. Not sure I like his armour, either. Seems too... faux-futuristic, I guess.

• Options
    AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    He looks really lean, and a bit robotic. Prefer the GC version myself.

• Options
    edited July 2012
    Well I would probably say that I think 99% of character art from prior FE games is better than what I've seen so far. I'm simply elated that we are getting a chance to play these characters in the first place. I mean, you only really look at art a few times before your brain turns it into a background detail.

MNC Dover on
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    ZephiranZephiran Registered User regular
    I wonder if he'll ever get the company of Soren?

Probably yes, but the question then becomes if it'll happen anytime soon...

Anyway, I was figuring maybe I'd load up The Blazing Sword and do an LP of it due to friend request and it seeming like a good idea right now. Now I just gotta decide whether I'll do the vanilla route or go with Hector.

I kinda wanna go with Hector.

Alright and in this next scene all the animals have AIDS.

I got a little excited when I saw your ship.
  • Options
    I've played through the original NA GBA FE a dozen times. My route is usually: Lyn (hard route) -> Hector (hard route). You feel so exhausted, manly, and fulfilled after that run. :)

I typically have two of the following characters as primaries when I play: Guy, Raven, Pricilla, and Rebecca. From there, I mess around with different combinations of characters for support conversations and unique builds (Just mages, mass cavaliers, wall of knights, all flying, etc) for fun.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    Reason why I wanna go his route is because of one thing, really. Or well, one person, more like.

Farina.jpg

Best goddamn pegasus rider in the game to the point where I'd feel like I'd missed something if I didn't bring her along.
    Oh hey picture vanished, thank god for the wiki.

Zephiran on

• Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    She's not that great in HHM. At least I think that's the person you mean. Fiora gets the HM bonus as well, but she comes a few chapters earlier. And with Florina, you can basically cheat on Lyn's campaign without it affecting your rank on the other two campaigns.

She is the spunkiest I'll give you that.

V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    Farina has very good stats for her level.

That game is probably has the strongest Peg Knights in any FE game though.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    I played a game where I maxed out all 3 sisters. It got to the point that I'd fly them directly into Archers and Fighters with reckless abandon. :)

It's like watching Swordmaster Guy simply tilt his head to avoid EVERYTHING thrown at him. So pimp.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    edited July 2012

In pure strength stat growths, I don't think Farina's ever been topped by any Peg Knight, but I could be wrong.

It's also one of the games that gets an item to nullify the bonus damage flying units take from bows, after that comes into play you've got yourself set up real good.

Zephiran on

• Options
    Might as well glitch abuse, take Vaida's spear and give it to her while you're at it.

V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    Chen wrote: »
    Might as well glitch abuse, take Vaida's spear and give it to her while you're at it.

You know I've never done that, might wanna try it out for laughs.

Who knows, maybe this time I'll go balls out and even use Pent!

• Options
    Stat growths get a lot of mention on boards and stuff, but the reality is that once you get any character leveled up they become beastly. Maybe not so much with the pre-promoted heroes, but who'd want to use them?

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Thanks for the Brave Sword Harken, now sit your ass down and watch the real heroes work.

• Options
    Oh, I thought you were doing HM, because Pent and Harken are definitely up there on the list o' greats. Base stats are a lot more valuable there than in normal mode. I mean, who'd want to use Erk? As a matter of fact I've never used Erk. Erk.

V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Apparently there's a bit of an Easter egg with FE: Awakening and the Lyn DLC, where
    she hints at her suspicion that the tactician from the GBA Fire Emblem and the player's character in Awakening are the same person, as he was never found after the end of GBAFE.

That's a nice touch.

• Options
    I almost always use Erk until I get Nino into shape.

Yes, even on HHM. Yes, just about every time.

• Options
    I like to use him as well, he's got a bit better damage output than Lucius and doubles things a lot more reliably than Canas. Until other cakes become available, he's usually my go-to magic guy.

Even on Hard Mode.

Good goddamn he's squishy in Hard Mode.

• Options
    You're all a bunch of loonies. Lucius is the easiest to master light magic (ugh Serra) and he's a bishie. Canas can nuke it from orbit without double attacking and is all around classy. Later on you have Pent who has a B in staves and saves you hundreds of exp by being rng proof. That already puts him ahead of Erk. No way I'm taking my chance on that dork. Neither on Dorcas.

V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    I did a Sage Erk w/A support Sierra run once. It was glorious.

And what's with the Dorcas hate? Dude wrecks face in Fighter mode. Matched him w/A supported Barte for Twin Axes of Destruction one run.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    I like Erk. His stupid name aside.

• Options
    I like Erk. His stupid name aside.

• Options
    Japan getting Fire Emblem on 3DS virtual console next week.

I love that I got Fire Emblem: Sacred Stones as an Ambassader game, but my heart lies with the NA FE7 release.

Lyn! Hector! Eliwood! My we all ride together one day!!

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options

I love that I got Fire Emblem: Sacred Stones as an Ambassader game, but my heart lies with the NA FE7 release.

It definitely appears from the Lyn DLC that
    She recognizes MU from FE7. She even asks you straight out whether you remember their adventures together.

No doubt if they ever add Hector/Eliwood as DLC, something similar will happen.
    No confirmation of romance opportunity with Lyn in this game though like with other DLC chars - which I'm hoping for. That aspect of FE7 was slightly annoying, that you could only hook up two chars but nobody for yourself. Also Lyn was my favorite.

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    edited July 2012

hard mode tate is ridiculous. tana has huge growths too but she cheats and gets to be a wyvern knight with 9 con. thanny yuno and syrene are all awful though

I was thinking about it and this is going to be the first handheld FE release in over a decade. shadow dragon doesn't count.

Jars on
  • Options
    Z0reZ0re Registered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »

She recognizes MU from FE7. She even asks you straight out whether you remember their adventures together.

I thought the implication was
    That Mark, MU's son/daughter, is supposed to be the FE7 tactician. They also have amnesia, actually got involved in some time travelling shenanigans (which MU doesn't) and look incredibly similar. Plus Mark was the default name for the Tactician and they are also a Strategist/Grand Strategist. Also they have supports that hint at it.

• Options
    edited July 2012
    Z0re wrote: »
    Donnicton wrote: »

I thought the implication was
    That Mark, MU's son/daughter, is supposed to be the FE7 tactician. They also have amnesia, actually got involved in some time travelling shenanigans (which MU doesn't) and look incredibly similar. Plus Mark was the default name for the Tactician and they are also a Strategist/Grand Strategist. Also they have supports that hint at it.

Nah, at least not according to the MU wiki article:
    At the end of Another Story 14: Red vs. Blue (Decisive Battle), Lyn thinks that My Unit is the Tactician from her previous adventures. After learning of My Unit's amnesia, she asks if they have any memories of their time together. If the player answers 'no', Lyn will express slight disappointment, but will request to join anyway to see for herself. If the player answers 'yes', then she joins saying she is happy that they have been reunited.

Regarding Mark's class,
    Mark will always be the base class of the person that MU marries, unless MU marries Olivia, Chrom, Lucina, or Valhart, in which case Mark will be a strategist.

Also, MU starts as a strategist as well.

Donnicton on
  • Options
    Professor HydronProfessor Hydron Registered User regular

Priscilla joins in the same map, and turns out better than Erk unless you get completely RNG screwed.

3DS ~ 2664-2225-0872
    Nintendo Network: ProfHydron
    XBox Gamertag: ProfHydron
    Friend Safari: Fighting ~ Machoke, Pancham, Breloom add me and tag or msg me and I'll add you back
  • Options

Priscilla joins in the same map, and turns out better than Erk unless you get completely RNG screwed.

For me it's never about stats for the characters but rather their supports and how I'm feeling on my playthrough. Like I said earlier, most every character you recruit will be better than most enemies once powered up.

Now if your goal is to play on the hardest mode and made a super team, sure drop Erk from the group. But there is something fun about rolling a magic-user support group. I did this once:

Erk (A w/Pricilla, B w/Serra)
    Serra (A w/Lucious, B w/Erk)
    Lucious (A w/Serra, B w/Pricilla)
    Pricilla (A w/Erk, B w/Lucious)

The magical destruction wrought by this group was only eclipsed by the humor in imagining them fighting together on the field based on their conversations.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Fire Emblem Kakusei's "Spirit Talisman" paid DLCs focused on redesigned guest characters from previous games and maps about facing or helping heroes and villains from previous stories, ending with Ike's map, which allowed the player to face a combined force of heroes and villains from previous Fire Emblems and get Ike from FE:Path of Radiance and a new skill with their victory. in addition, there were also monster maps which focused on the player facing monsters and getting easy experience, money and even legendary weapons. However, even after the "last" Talisman map, the DLC is seemingly continuing further, now in a completely new direction.

A New DLC set has been announced, "Path of the Grandmaster". They don't focus on guests this time, but on new features to the game itself, like extremely hard maps, more character interaction, fanservice outfits and also a new side story.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/3ds/afej/dlc/index.html
    http://www.nintendo.co.jp/3ds/afej/dlc/dlc_0809.html
    http://www.nintendo.co.jp/3ds/afej/movie/index.html (video - contains some spoilers for the main campaign. Thanks for pointing it out Gunloc)

They're divided in three categories:

4 "Ultimate Training" maps, placing your team in new and pressing scenarios, like enemies with stats reaching the 70s. The first one is "Border between Life and Death", which features a special condition that reduces your party members to 1 HP at the start of each turn.

3 "Otherworld Resort" maps (beach, hotsprings and festival) that add more character interaction and dialogue to the game, featuring over 200 new conversations and new music. First map is "Haverst of Bonds", focusing on conversations between same gender characters(something lacking for some characters in the main game, since the supports mainly focus on giving as many opposite gender pairings as possible due to the generation system). It takes place in a festival and the site says that it's appropriate to low level characters. The promo picture for the new DLC set shows Mariabell and Lukina in bikinis, and Liz, sister of the protagonist Krom, in a maid outfit and those are likely tied to these maps too.

And finally, "Future of Despair", with an unknown number of maps, is in development and follows the battles of the second generation characters in the future timeline of the game.

• Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDUL9W5PbjU

Season 2 DLC trailer. Looks awesome!

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Do note that the trailer contains a few spoilers, sadly, so if you're the kind of guy who doesn't like that you might wanna hold off a bit.

The preliminary artwork is totally safe though!

Zephiran on

• Options
    And you get to see some of the maps built in Maya, one of the industry standard 3D modeling programs. I'm only excited by that because I got to use the program over the last two years at school....sadly, I'm no good with it. :(

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
This discussion has been closed.