Options

Marvel vs Capcom 3: Something must be Wong with these tourney results, no Sentinels!

• Options
    Gaming-FreakGaming-Freak Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    *sigh* If I had a dollar for every time I lost a match thanks to that damn timer...

Gaming-Freak on
    jagobannerpic.jpg
    XBL: GamingFreak5514
    PSN: GamingFreak1234
  • Options
    PunkBoyPunkBoy Thank you! And thank you again! Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I think I need to re-arrange my team and move Dante off point. Right now I'm running Dante, Morrigan, and X-23, and I'm having too much difficulty getting through defenses as him. Possibly change it to X-23/Dante/Morrigan.

PunkBoy on
    Steam ID:
    steam_sig.png
    The Linecutters Podcast: Your weekly dose of nerd! Tune in for the live broadcast every Wednesday at 7 PM EST, only at www.non-productive.com!
  • Options
    Mmmm... Cocks...Mmmm... Cocks... Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    *sigh* If I had a dollar for every time I lost a match thanks to that damn timer...
    When you start putting some serious hours into it (its still only been two weeks) it starts becoming less of an issue. My roommates would complain about it often but now they wish it would save them. :wink:

Mmmm... Cocks... on
  • Options
    MonkeyConQuesoMonkeyConQueso No more MH Claw Happy handsRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    So like I posted about 40 pages ago, I bought MvC3 yesterday (sad I wasn't able to be free on Sat for Hat's thing), and hoooo boy.... I hate fighting with the controller. I'm putting this on the shelf until I can get a TE stick, because damn, my wrist and fingers hurt trying to get anyone to do anything right.

MonkeyConQueso on
    PSN : Aubvry ;; WiiU/XBL/Steam : MonkeyConQueso ;; 3DS FC : 4553-9982-3786
    Destiny! : Warlock - Titan - Hunter
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    The Hulk's got nothing on the rage I'm feeling now. I've heard horror stories, and tried to mentally prepare myself, but it just doesn't compare to actually experiencing the kind of crap you have to put up with on Ranked.

I tried rocking out a Zero/Hulk/Haggar combo, and other than a few close calls I got creamed every time. Super Jumping around Dr Doom or Sentinel doesn't amount to much when the goddamn lag keeps you from making the precise timing. I also had one match where the asshole just turtled the entire time and waited for the clock to run around. Nothing I did would make a dent.

And even though I'm experiencing the Sentinel bullshit firsthand, I still despise Ammy players above all else. Is there nothing that can counter her attacks? Every single thing I tried was broken by her.

I've put up with plenty of bullshit in SSFIV, like players who just spam Ken's medium kick, but this feels like every single person is spamming a specific button.

What a horrible fucking community.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    stevemarks44stevemarks44 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    ChaosHat, legs combo makes me FEEL like a tournament player, not make me think I am one.

I dont even know what 2C is :(

stevemarks44 on
  • Options
    BarrabasBarrabas Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    ChaosHat, legs combo makes me FEEL like a tournament player, not make me think I am one.

Hat uses GG/BB notation. It's "down H"

Barrabas on
    XBL - ErrorMacro1
  • Options
    shadydentistshadydentist Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

ABCS are the attacks (light, medium, hard, exchange). Look at your keypad. 2 is down, 5 is neutral, 6 is forward, etc.

2C is down hard attack. j.2C would be jumping down hard attack.

shadydentist on
    Steam & GT
    steam_sig.png
    GT: Tanky the Tank
    Black: 1377 6749 7425
  • Options
    programjunkieprogramjunkie Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    The Hulk's got nothing on the rage I'm feeling now. I've heard horror stories, and tried to mentally prepare myself, but it just doesn't compare to actually experiencing the kind of crap you have to put up with on Ranked.

I tried rocking out a Zero/Hulk/Haggar combo, and other than a few close calls I got creamed every time. Super Jumping around Dr Doom or Sentinel doesn't amount to much when the goddamn lag keeps you from making the precise timing. I also had one match where the asshole just turtled the entire time and waited for the clock to run around. Nothing I did would make a dent.

And even though I'm experiencing the Sentinel bullshit firsthand, I still despise Ammy players above all else. Is there nothing that can counter her attacks? Every single thing I tried was broken by her.

I've put up with plenty of bullshit in SSFIV, like players who just spam Ken's medium kick, but this feels like every single person is spamming a specific button.

FWIW, I've played against every character in the game in player matches at this point. The skill levels vary very wildly, but I have yet to see anyone with an asshole rating of more than 7/10.

Re: Ammy I use her as my anti-projectile spam backup. She's number 2 in my lineup precisely so she can run under projectiles. The best way to beat her is to take a character with damn good animations that hit ground. You can block her, but then she has her throw. Your best bet, although hard to do with any sort of lag, is wait for the time between her normals and her throw while blocking and then poke into a combo.

programjunkie on
  • Options
    KING LITERATEKING LITERATE Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    KING LITERATE on
    Diamond FC: 3867 1354 8291
    TWITTER TWATS
  • Options
    AuburnTigerAuburnTiger Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    mxmarks wrote: »
    Jintor wrote: »
    Oh.

They what

If you're referring to my statement that people think they're lagging when I hit them with a jamming bomb (I cant tell, since this is top of the page, and my post was the last on the previous) - the jamming bomb I feel is the best kept secret in this whole game.

When you hit an analyze cube, MODOK gets a level of understanding. It costs 1 level of understanding to fire a "jamming bomb", which looks exactly the same as his other bombs, only takes a little longer to come out (and he says JAMMING BOMB!)

The jamming bomb reverses the other players controls. NOTHING stops a combo faster. Rushdown charecters become totally useless and blocking is almost impossible when they don't immediately figure out whats going on, which people rarely do. It is AMAZING.

That has to be, hands down, the worst idea ever implemented in a fighting game.

AuburnTiger on
    XBL: Flex MythoMass
  • Options
    BarrabasBarrabas Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    mxmarks wrote: »
    Jintor wrote: »
    Oh.

They what

If you're referring to my statement that people think they're lagging when I hit them with a jamming bomb (I cant tell, since this is top of the page, and my post was the last on the previous) - the jamming bomb I feel is the best kept secret in this whole game.

When you hit an analyze cube, MODOK gets a level of understanding. It costs 1 level of understanding to fire a "jamming bomb", which looks exactly the same as his other bombs, only takes a little longer to come out (and he says JAMMING BOMB!)

The jamming bomb reverses the other players controls. NOTHING stops a combo faster. Rushdown charecters become totally useless and blocking is almost impossible when they don't immediately figure out whats going on, which people rarely do. It is AMAZING.

That has to be, hands down, the worst idea ever implemented in a fighting game.

It's not the worst. Magnetism is the worst. Those who don't understand what I'm talking about are better for it.
    Not really, BB:CS is a fine game. But fuck Magnetism.

Barrabas on
    XBL - ErrorMacro1
  • Options
    Mmmm... Cocks...Mmmm... Cocks... Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    My new passion is doing safe combo strings and having my roommate try and triple hyper combo me after only to eat Zeros level 3.
    I've been rolling with Dante/Hulk/Zero.

Who else has some extremely fast/invincible attacks? Its not just that, but being able to hit his whole team from relatively far away is great.

He's always rolling like Akuma/Ryu/Wolverine so I usually have a decent amount of start up time with their crazy beams.
    There has been a few times he's had 3 low life characters and me just a lonely Zero and then he goes for the chip win only to be disappointed. :twisted:

Mmmm... Cocks... on
  • Options
    eeSanGeeSanG I slice like a goddamn hammer. Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Reversed controls is the worst idea implemented in any kind of game.

eeSanG on
    LFMGb.jpg
    Slice like a god damn hammer. LoL: Rafflesia / BNet: Talonflame#11979
  • Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

It's Marvel.

Bizazedo on
    XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

I tend to use Hulk as my anti-Ammy character. People love to spam those 2-3 ground attacks to either pin you or crack your defenses and sometimes close distance with an overhead attack after her vine zipline in the air.

It also makes Ammy players super-predictable and Hulk has a few excellent tools to use. The chanciest is trying a jumping overhead launcher. Hulk doesn't get superarmor for it, but when it connects you get a big window to go for an aerial combo or combing into a super. Ammy's attacks are pretty big, though, so it's a definite risk.

Much more reliable (but still a little risky) is a pushblock of Ammy's ground fierce followed by a Gamma Charge. The risk here is that it takes just that split-second longer to do the motion for Gamma Charge and the game absolutely LOVES to fuck up your input and decide to give you a Gamma Wave instead. I can't even count how many times this has happened since you go from blocking down and back into rolling into a forward motion. Some idiot at Capcom decided to give the Gamma Wave (which needs a back-forward motion and charging) priority over the Gamma Charge (which needs a QCF motion). Anyway, you do it right and Hulk will zip right into Ammy. If she gets a hit in, no big deal because Fierce Gamma Charge definitely has super-armor. If she blocks, hit the Fierce button again and dash away from her.

The simplest, easiest method is to let the Ammy player get into the groove of getting pushblocked and attacking again, then doing a standing Fierce punch immediately following a pushblock. It's a little slow, but also a huge, powerful attack which ground-bounces the opponent for an easy combo and gets super-armor and Ammy ends up eating a faceful of Hulk fist right in the middle of her attack spam.

My biggest problem when facing Ammy is how people love to randomly use her full-screen super. It rarely is a risk to whoever I'm using, but it gets my assists all the time. I've got Taskmaster so her missile spam doesn't bother me at all, but that super gives me more trouble than anything else with her.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    If their opponent can't beat them when they press one button over and over, why would they stop pressing that button? Figure out how to make them pay for it and they'll have to adapt.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Re: Ammy's full screen super, it was really a crutch preventing me from getting better.

There was no better failsafe for me early on than coming out with Ammy, x-factoring and chipping someone to death with a full screen super completely safe.

stevemarks44 on
  • Options
    SigtyrSigtyr Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Man. That last match in that video. That Sentinel was trounced.

Sigtyr on
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Is anyone here going to bite on the costume pack tomorrow.

I'm owned by Capcom apparently, because I am. :(

Only because it's Marvel and I want the modern Cap look. :D

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »

Debating it. I don't frequent Cap/Thor/Iron Man and I don't like Ryu's enough to warrant a purchase. I've never played Dante and I love the Chris costume but probably won't pay $5 just to play it.

In short, I'm all for costume packs, but most likely will hold off until the next one.

stevemarks44 on
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    There is a HUGE number of people who just constantly spam those low ground attacks because other people aren't using the right tools to beat them. Not just with Ammy, but with several characters. Off the top of my head, Dante, Ammy, and Zero seem to get the worst of it since their attacks enable them to stay on top of the opponent as well.

It's actually fairly easy to beat these kinds of player once you know what's coming. Predictably gets people destroyed.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    SixfortyfiveSixfortyfive Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    SF1 Ryu is awesome, but I have no intention of spending money on costume packs ever.

Sixfortyfive on
    poasting something foolishly foolish.
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Yea, I just want Caps modern look, and the classic Chris duds I like also.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    There is a HUGE number of people who just constantly spam those low ground attacks because other people aren't using the right tools to beat them. Not just with Ammy, but with several characters. Off the top of my head, Dante, Ammy, and Zero seem to get the worst of it since their attacks enable them to stay on top of the opponent as well.

It's actually fairly easy to beat these kinds of player once you know what's coming. Predictably gets people destroyed.

My neurosis has caused me to start doing some arcade runs and JUST blocking. Winning via time-outs, advancing guard and blocking. I've gotten a little better.

stevemarks44 on
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

What's in it and how much?

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Magic Pink wrote: »

Modern Cap
    Classic Thor
    Iron Patriot
    SF1 Ryu
    Dante (not sure what his costume is)
    Classic Stars Chris

400 MS points/5 bucks for the pack

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    To the poor poor dude who has apparently never played a fighting game before and was asking, you hold back or down back to block.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    eeSanGeeSanG I slice like a goddamn hammer. Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Dante's costume appears to be Sparda, his father.

eeSanG on
    LFMGb.jpg
    Slice like a god damn hammer. LoL: Rafflesia / BNet: Talonflame#11979
  • Options
    edited February 2011

My neurosis has caused me to start doing some arcade runs and JUST blocking. Winning via time-outs, advancing guard and blocking. I've gotten a little better.

My Arcade wins on anything above Normal are almost always via time-outs. The CPU is way too much of a cheap sonuvabitch for me to bother with trying to play against it normally.

But I think one of the biggest problems people are having is just not being able to keep their blocking in pace with the gameplay. Unless I'm up against people who are really good, I have a really simple system for blocking:

Opponent in the air: block high and switch to low as soon as they hit the ground
    Opponent on the ground: block low
    Any sort of repeated attack or special attack: pushblock pushblock pushblock

Trying to specifically block each attack and where it comes from will drive you crazy if you try to do it all the time because the game goes so fast. Just block, en masse, high on air attacks and low on ground attacks.

Then things get much easier and you can focus on figuring out when somebody is going to try and jump on you for an overhead while you block low.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Spending several rounds turtling as much as possible really made a big difference in my overall game. Defense is overlooked sometimes.

Zombie Hero on
    Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Magic Pink wrote: »

Modern Cap
    Classic Thor
    Iron Patriot
    SF1 Ryu
    Dante (not sure what his costume is)
    Classic Stars Chris

400 MS points/5 bucks for the pack

Personally I think that seems expensive for a costume pack. I hope character DLC is at least reasonable.

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    The costume pack pricing is the same as it was for SF4 and those sold really well.

As for the DLC characters they already announced that Jill and Shuma would be 5 bucks apiece.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    rabblerouserrabblerouser Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I won't get that one but I'm excited to see what they do for other characters/how much they're willing to change on the character models

rabblerouser on
  • Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Is Shadow Mode tomorrow as well?

Bizazedo on
    XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Honestly I would probably buy it for Heroic Age Cap alone.

Iron Patriot and Classic Thor are just gravy on top.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    RanadielRanadiel Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

This. Once you are able to see just how spammy, predictable and unsafe a lot of players are when it comes to throwing out attacks, the game becomes 100% easier. Don't get roped into their game of mindlessness - take a moment to observe what's really going on and adapt. Best thing you can do from there is practice combos with your character of choice so once you crack their defense, you can really make them suffer for it.

Ranadiel on
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Balefuego wrote: »
    The costume pack pricing is the same as it was for SF4 and those sold really well.

As for the DLC characters they already announced that Jill and Shuma would be 5 bucks apiece.

Eh, whatever sells I guess :P I think $5 for a texture swap is kind of silly.

That's an ok price for new characters though. (And I swear to God, they better release Frank West)

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    RanadielRanadiel Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Someone mentioned this earlier but I can't see them releasing Frank West at this point since he's no longer the hero of the Dead Rising franchise. Was he really that amazing of a character in TvC? Or is this just fan appreciation for the character himself?

Ranadiel on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Ranadiel wrote: »
    Someone mentioned this earlier but I can't see them releasing Frank West at this point since he's no longer the hero of the Dead Rising franchise. Was he really that amazing of a character in TvC? Or is this just fan appreciation for the character himself?

He's a "for fun" character...you know did a bunch of wacky stuff.

That's the long and short of it.

Dragkonias on