Options

Marvel vs Capcom 3: Something must be Wong with these tourney results, no Sentinels!

• Options
    darthsheepdarthsheep Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Antihippy wrote: »
    Also fun thing to know is that j.H and s.H nullifies projectiles.

What? With Tron? I love you.

darthsheep on
  • Options
    Feels Good ManFeels Good Man Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Missed the streams so catching up now.

RyRy pretty much carried yipes and sanford.

where dem streams at

Feels Good Man on
  • Options
    AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    It's too slow to use it to react to projectiles but sometimes it can eat through projectiles at the right time. Or if you predict it.

I'm also not too sure but you might be able to do s.H>assist to cover your approach >drill to get in on projectile spammers. I'm not sure if it works but it's something I want to try.

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Missed the streams so catching up now.

RyRy pretty much carried yipes and sanford.

where dem streams at

http://www.justin.tv/teamsp00ky/b/280555613

Starts maybe halfway through part 3?

Antihippy on
  • Options
    stevemarks44stevemarks44 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    so tweaking my team further today I am starting to like the rotation of Akuma (H. Kick), Tron (Drill) and Chun (Kicks)

Akuma is an absolute beast and can chain hurricane kicks like crazy to get people in the corner. Also his lvl 3 super is a great way to get out of a jam. Kind of a failsafe if things seem to be going south (love hitting an x-factor lvl 3 and totally dismantling a troublesome character).

Chun's lightning kick is also a great annoyance, and as someone who isn't very good, I feel like some kind of tournament player when I can lightning kick into her fireball super, x factor cancel into a lightning kick and fireball super again.

Tron is my bruiser and if I can get a more consistent backwards z on my fightpad I'll be much more effective with her. She can close distances well, and chun's lightning kick assist combos easily into lunchtime, which is really satisfying.

Haven't taken the team online yet, but I'm still getting used to how they work.

Any suggestions?

stevemarks44 on
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Akuma is beastly right up until people just counter him with projectiles or a high-priority backoff assist. When I fight Akuma, I rarely actually fight him because people almost always don't bother to do anything but his hurricane kick. That means I just pushblock the first hit, then hit him with a Hulk AA assist. Hulk gets super-armor for it, so even if the kick lands a hit Hulk just blasts right through it.

One smash from that plus a straight-up super arrow attack from Taskmaster and Akuma is already at less than half health.

Just as a general recommendation, people who rely heavily on things like Akuma's tatsu kick and Tron's jumping/standing fierce REALLY need to watch out against Hulk AA assists. When called in as an assist, Hulk just does not care what the priority is on stuff like that since he just takes the super-armor hit and blasts into the opponent. People who mix it up have less trouble with that particular counter, but trying to constantly rush a smart opponent using AA Hulk assist with those tactics and the opponent won't hardly have to land combos.

And if the Hulk player is using X-factor, things get really nasty since Hulk get such a big damage boost. Hitting Akuma with an X-factored Hulk's AA assist is basically like hitting him with a free super and still messes up his rhythm.

I think people should actually avoid using Akuma as a main in general. Not because he's bad (far from it), but I'd put him second just so you have 3 super bars for him to use for his lvl 3 super. I've gotten snagged by that thing a single time so far, but it could easily have gotten me a couple dozen times already if people would use it when they've got me pushed into a corner. Nobody ever seems to think about it, though.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    shadydentistshadydentist Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    That, and the fact that Akuma's assist is ridiculously good.

shadydentist on
    Steam & GT
    steam_sig.png
    GT: Tanky the Tank
    Black: 1377 6749 7425
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I probably wouldn't want to risk him much as an assist. If you mess up, it leaves Akuma hanging out there for a while and I bet a single good combo or super would wipe him out. I've caught an opponent doing that a couple of times and Akuma was out of the fight before he could do anything. I can see him as being awesome in extending ongoing combos, though, and there wouldn't be much risk in that. Main somebody else, build up a super bar or two and use Akuma for bigger combos, then bring in Akuma to either build another bar or push the enemy back to set up the lvl 3 super.

What exactly does stop that super, anyway? Will it just go through anything until it stops? I never see it used despite it being immensely better than in MvC2 so I have no idea what the particulars of it are.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    shadydentistshadydentist Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    If you watch Justin Wong use Akuma, he uses the hurricane kick assist as a pressure tool. Basically, if the opponent pushblocks, it allows him enough time to dash back into range. He also uses it to extend OTG combos for both Wolverine and Storm. It gives him basically the most intimidating rushdown game ever.

edit: And the raging demon is invincible for pretty much all of it, but its a grab, so all you need to do is jump.

shadydentist on
    Steam & GT
    steam_sig.png
    GT: Tanky the Tank
    Black: 1377 6749 7425
  • Options
    SeanronSeanron GlasgowRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Hey ChaosHat, took your advice, decided to add Chun Li to my Doom/Akuma set-up, she literally wrecks face in that team! :)

Seanron on
    PSN: Seanron - XBL: Seanron - Steam: Seanron
  • Options
    JintorJintor Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Also fun thing to know is that j.H and s.H nullifies projectiles.

I don't know what j. and s. are

Please enlighten me oh head-burning one

Jintor on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Jump and standing.

Antihippy on
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I am really, really starting to love MODOK. His analyze cubes appear in the perfect spots just to annoy the hell out of people. Throw up a barrier, and make a cube with M, and its right at jumping height. Then you usually can make like 4-5 in a row real quick as the opponent keeps trying to figure out what the hell is happening.

I've also had people complain the game was "laggy" after I hit them with a jamming bomb. Hilarious.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    JintorJintor Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Oh.

They what

Jintor on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    mxmarks wrote: »
    I am really, really starting to love MODOK. His analyze cubes appear in the perfect spots just to annoy the hell out of people. Throw up a barrier, and make a cube with M, and its right at jumping height. Then you usually can make like 4-5 in a row real quick as the opponent keeps trying to figure out what the hell is happening.

I've also had people complain the game was "laggy" after I hit them with a jamming bomb. Hilarious.

MODOK is the best troll character in the game.

Love him.

Antihippy on
  • Options
    LionLion Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I play X-23 on point. Are there any compelling reasons to switch her out for Wolverine?

Lion on
    PSN: WingedLion | XBL: Winged Lion
  • Options
    AshtonDragonAshtonDragon AKA The Nix Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Lion wrote: »
    I play X-23 on point. Are there any compelling reasons to switch her out for Wolverine?

Depends on the rest of the team. Wolverine has a better mixup thanks to Berserker Slash. He also has a comboable level 3 super (although X-23's certainly has it's uses). The biggest plus he has, in my opinion, is that he can fish for air throws a lot better and easily combo off them.

But this is coming from an X-23 player. I make use of her OTG assist to extend the combos of Dormammu and Tron. Also, DHCing out of Dormammu's chasing fireball into Dirt Nap is just hilarious. Both of those characters also have useful assists for her (Dark Hole while doing an M feint is a nice mixup after being push blocked out), but I guess they would be just as good for Wolverine.

AshtonDragon on
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Jintor wrote: »
    Oh.

They what

If you're referring to my statement that people think they're lagging when I hit them with a jamming bomb (I cant tell, since this is top of the page, and my post was the last on the previous) - the jamming bomb I feel is the best kept secret in this whole game.

When you hit an analyze cube, MODOK gets a level of understanding. It costs 1 level of understanding to fire a "jamming bomb", which looks exactly the same as his other bombs, only takes a little longer to come out (and he says JAMMING BOMB!)

The jamming bomb reverses the other players controls. NOTHING stops a combo faster. Rushdown charecters become totally useless and blocking is almost impossible when they don't immediately figure out whats going on, which people rarely do. It is AMAZING.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I probably wouldn't want to risk him much as an assist. If you mess up, it leaves Akuma hanging out there for a while and I bet a single good combo or super would wipe him out. I've caught an opponent doing that a couple of times and Akuma was out of the fight before he could do anything. I can see him as being awesome in extending ongoing combos, though, and there wouldn't be much risk in that. Main somebody else, build up a super bar or two and use Akuma for bigger combos, then bring in Akuma to either build another bar or push the enemy back to set up the lvl 3 super.

What exactly does stop that super, anyway? Will it just go through anything until it stops? I never see it used despite it being immensely better than in MvC2 so I have no idea what the particulars of it are.

Justin Wong's use of Akuma is downright terrifying. He's a powerhouse player, but most of the time he's kept for his assist so you can strike both high and low at the same time. You can't block both so you're going to get razed one way or another.

His Raging Demon goes through everything. It is invincible, and i've seen that thing power through three on-screen supers at once. Sure you can jump over that thing to miss it, but it comes out fast and is pretty damn hard to spot before it's too late.

Godfather on
  • Options
    edited February 2011

Depends on the rest of the team. Wolverine has a better mixup thanks to Berserker Slash. He also has a comboable level 3 super (although X-23's certainly has it's uses). The biggest plus he has, in my opinion, is that he can fish for air throws a lot better and easily combo off them.

But this is coming from an X-23 player. I make use of her OTG assist to extend the combos of Dormammu and Tron. Also, DHCing out of Dormammu's chasing fireball into Dirt Nap is just hilarious. Both of those characters also have useful assists for her (Dark Hole while doing an M feint is a nice mixup after being push blocked out), but I guess they would be just as good for Wolverine.

Rest of the team is Ammy with Cold Star and Storm with Whirlwind.

Lion on
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I use Amaterasu. I hit the B button a lot?

look I'm trying here

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    WaltWalt Waller Arcane Enchanted Frozen ElectrifiedRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    I use Amaterasu. I hit the B button a lot?

look I'm trying here

That's... pretty much how to play dog.

Walt on
  • Options
    edited February 2011

Neither of them really benefit from X-23's assists (I guess you could try to set up some unblockables with tri-dashes, but X-23's ankle slice is pretty slow). That said, I don't know if Ammy's Cold Star is fast enough for Wolverine to get a combo after his OTG. Would need some testing.

AshtonDragon on
  • Options
    Garret DoriganGarret Dorigan "Why can't I be DLC for UMvC3?"Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

Neither of them really benefit from X-23's assists (I guess you could try to set up some unblockables with tri-dashes, but X-23's ankle slice is pretty slow). That said, I don't know if Ammy's Cold Star is fast enough for Wolverine to get a combo after his OTG. Would need some testing.

It doesn't, or at least not in my experience, thus why I changed to Laura.

Garret Dorigan on
    "Never Hit"
  • Options
    edited February 2011

If that's the case, X-23 is probably better for that team. Although it might be better with adjustments to one of the other two.

I was going to mention switching Ammy for someone like Chun, but that might make the team a bit weaker to Sentinel. Not that Chun is terrible against him by any means.

Team building is hard.

AshtonDragon on
  • Options
    edited February 2011

If that's the case, X-23 is probably better for that team. Although it might be better with adjustments to one of the other two.

I was going to mention switching Ammy for someone like Chun, but that might make the team a bit weaker to Sentinel. Not that Chun is terrible against him by any means.

Team building is hard.

Yeah, Ammy is really there because of ducking a lot of shit easily and the Sents I've fought don't seem to know how to counter her. I was trying to set up those unblockables with ankle slice like you mentioned. It works decent enough against some players but it's not something I rely on.

I'm open to changes though.

Lion on
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I played a bit this weekend. I've come to the conclusion I am indeed pretty sucky, but at least the game is fun :D

How the fuck do you beat Galactus in Arcade mode? It seems like all of his attacks are undodgable. Experiementing with some different characters, I noticed Tron and a few others are able to take his damage a bit better, but I don't think I ever did better than maybe half his life. It doesn't help that I have crazy shadow Akuma and whoever the other dude is supposed to be beating the shit out of me before that :P

I also tried Mission Mode on a couple characters. Man, fuck that. X-23 Mission 8 I think? I cannot physically foward slash as fast as they want me to. I can perform the moves perfectly, but I swear what they are asking is inhuman. Every once in awhile I somehow randomly do it, only to miss the very last one. *sigh*

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    KazakaKazaka Asleep Counting SheepRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Is Dante cheap shit?

Because I'm going to keep using him, Taskmaster, and probably Akuma, but I just wanted to know if you guys think I'm a villain because of it.

Kazaka on
  • Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    I played a bit this weekend. I've come to the conclusion I am indeed pretty sucky, but at least the game is fun :D

How the fuck do you beat Galactus in Arcade mode? It seems like all of his attacks are undodgable. Experiementing with some different characters, I noticed Tron and a few others are able to take his damage a bit better, but I don't think I ever did better than maybe half his life. It doesn't help that I have crazy shadow Akuma and whoever the other dude is supposed to be beating the shit out of me before that :P

I also tried Mission Mode on a couple characters. Man, fuck that. X-23 Mission 8 I think? I cannot physically foward slash as fast as they want me to. I can perform the moves perfectly, but I swear what they are asking is inhuman. Every once in awhile I somehow randomly do it, only to miss the very last one. *sigh*

I will never recommend Mission Mode to anyone. Silly stuff in there. The mode exists for titles and achievements, that's about it.

As far as Galactus goes, just keep it simple. When I go up against Galactus I just do basic combos on the ground (light -> medium -> hard -> special) jump and do another basic combo on the way down (MHS). If he flies into the background, superjump to avoid the grab. If he starts charging the one hit KO overhead smash, just go nuts on him in an effort to stagger him before the move completes. All of his other moves are blockable so anytime you see the big guy start to move his arms, just block.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Kazaka wrote: »
    Is Dante cheap shit?

Because I'm going to keep using him, Taskmaster, and probably Akuma, but I just wanted to know if you guys think I'm a villain because of it.

Nah. There are a ton of Dantes online though so if you do get hate, there's why. He's a really fun character actually, but his more fun looking combos are a little too deep for me to dive into just yet.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    Folken FanelFolken Fanel anime af When's KoFRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Kazaka wrote: »
    Is Dante cheap shit?

You're only a villain for not coming out to the gainesville meetups!

Folken Fanel on
    Twitter: Folken_fgc Steam: folken_ XBL: flashg03 PSN: folken_PA SFV: folken_
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    Characters I hate:

Everybody @Folken Fanel plays as.
  • Options
    SixfortyfiveSixfortyfive Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    How the fuck do you beat Galactus in Arcade mode?
    Super jump > L L M M H S > land > block > repeat.

Everything he does is rather heavily telegraphed, so you learn how to dodge everything with a little practice.

Sixfortyfive on
    poasting something foolishly foolish.
  • Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Fig-D wrote: »

I will never recommend Mission Mode to anyone. Silly stuff in there. The mode exists for titles and achievements, that's about it.

As far as Galactus goes, just keep it simple. When I go up against Galactus I just do basic combos on the ground (light -> medium -> hard -> special) jump and do another basic combo on the way down (MHS). If he flies into the background, superjump to avoid the grab. If he starts charging the one hit KO overhead smash, just go nuts on him in an effort to stagger him before the move completes. All of his other moves are blockable so anytime you see the big guy start to move his arms, just block.

I've found that blocking and tagging out characters is the real key. He has a pretty obvious windup for his attacks, so its easy to block as long as you don't get caught up in long combo strings. Its also good to tag out characters and give them time for their health to recharge while you beat up on Galactus with your other two. As long as you keep a good rotation of characters, block well, and use Super Jump to avoid ground level attacks, you should have little problems beating him.

AspectVoid on
    PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Gainesville meetups? I'm in Gville!

darthsheep on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    darthsheep wrote: »

Sweet! We usually meet at my place saturdays from like.. noon to 8ish. Usually anywhere from 4 to 9 people show up. Its pretty good times with people of all skill levels showing up.

PM me if you want more info!

Folken Fanel on
    Characters I hate:

• Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Wesker's OTG is almost too good. I keep trying to swap new people in / use different OTG assists, but his is just soooooooo amazing.

Bizazedo on
    XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Fig-D wrote: »

Ok, so it's not just me :P Mission mode was pissing me off. Even when I'd do the move right, half the time the CPU guy would block or jump or something just to fuck up my combo. Pissed me off to no end.

I'll have to try that on Galactus. I am still trying to learn all the buttons so I'm not completely sure how to block yet :D I should probably read the damn manual (took me awhile just to figure out how to actually swap characters :P).

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    so tweaking my team further today I am starting to like the rotation of Akuma (H. Kick), Tron (Drill) and Chun (Kicks)

Akuma is an absolute beast and can chain hurricane kicks like crazy to get people in the corner. Also his lvl 3 super is a great way to get out of a jam. Kind of a failsafe if things seem to be going south (love hitting an x-factor lvl 3 and totally dismantling a troublesome character).

Chun's lightning kick is also a great annoyance, and as someone who isn't very good, I feel like some kind of tournament player when I can lightning kick into her fireball super, x factor cancel into a lightning kick and fireball super again.

Tron is my bruiser and if I can get a more consistent backwards z on my fightpad I'll be much more effective with her. She can close distances well, and chun's lightning kick assist combos easily into lunchtime, which is really satisfying.

Haven't taken the team online yet, but I'm still getting used to how they work.

Any suggestions?

Legs hyper xfc legs hyper is something a tournament player would never do due to the ridiculous damage scaling legs induces. If you're going to combo into a hyper, 2C would be the way to do it. Lightning legs are best used in the air, or as an assist, or a safe block string.

ChaosHat on
  • Options
    edited February 2011

Sweet! We usually meet at my place saturdays from like.. noon to 8ish. Usually anywhere from 4 to 9 people show up. Its pretty good times with people of all skill levels showing up.

Ah, that'd be fun. Unfortunately I usually work Saturdays butt maybe one of these days!

darthsheep on
  • Options
    edited February 2011

Ah, that'd be fun. Unfortunately I usually work Saturdays butt maybe one of these days!

Yeah, saturdays are the norm, but it varies sometimes. I'll send you a PM when I host next!

Folken Fanel on
    Characters I hate: