As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dragon Age Thread - [Please post in new thread]

• Options
    jammujammu 2020 is now. Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Lurk wrote: »
    The Demo was designed to make you hate playing a Mage.

.snip.

EDIT: Also, why the hell do I start with Mind Blast? That ability is so underwhelming it hurts.

Yeah. Talk about weak spell.

Mage run was my third run and in the first 'real' battle with both Carver and bethany, both went down and I survived with only sliver of health!
    It went much easier after that, due getting a real offense spell from that battle.

On earlier runs I never had anyone go down before the 'real' Ogre.

jammu on
    Ww8FAMg.jpg
  • Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Dashui wrote: »
    Valoryn wrote: »
    Hoz wrote: »
    Yikes, it doesn't look like they'll hit a million.

"if we get over 1 million demo downloads and logins on the PC, Xbox 360 and PS3 combined before March 1st,"

And it's over a third of the way to a million on the first day.
    It got to 300,000 in the first three hours. It took 10 hours after that to get 50,000 more. 650,000 more "plays" are not going to happen in 6 days.

The only kind of optimistic note I can sound is that the ticker isn't counting accurately.

Hoz on
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Playing as a 2H warrior, Hawke went down during the ogre fight because she refused, flat out refused, to drink a healing potion. Is there a really long recharge on that or was I just out of luck? I saw the "healing potion" thing come up in her action bar but then she immediately went back to autoattacking.

Aistan on
  • Options
    PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Aistan wrote: »
    Playing as a 2H warrior, Hawke went down during the ogre fight because she refused, flat out refused, to drink a healing potion. Is there a really long recharge on that or was I just out of luck? I saw the "healing potion" thing come up in her action bar but then she immediately went back to autoattacking.

That means the cooldown wasn't finished.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Z0re wrote: »

edit2:
    Fiaryn wrote: »
    Pancake wrote: »
    I'm still not convinced that Dragon Age actually trends towards anything like low fantasy.

Someone should convince me. Like Fiaryn.

Focus on political elements, the treatment of magic as a societal problem to be solved, lack of magical weapons as far as the eye can see. The elven ghettos.

Basically it seems to focus on the human element of fantasy rather than the fantastical element.

The human element of high fantasy. The very presence of magic and elves mark it as high fantasy.

Thats not the definition of high fantasy. High Fantasy deals with fantastical problems, societies that have no analouge on earth because they cannot exist without magic/the unique creatures. Magic is also more powerful and has made the world unrecognizable to what earth really looks like.

Even by that standard, dealing with apostate mages and dragon-led blights of orcs have no analogue on earth. The problems of Dragon Age are the same problems of Lord of the Rings, they're inherently fantastical.

Zore hit the nail on the head. Magic in high fantasy permeates the setting to a far, far greater degree. The treatment of mages in Thedas is a sharp break from high fantasy tradition

The very fact that the countries in Thedas are in so many ways recognizable as clear analogues to the real world is a large part of why I'd classify it as low fantasy, as well. Some would call it unoriginal, I'd call it realistic. I like that it's a somewhat fantastical spin on plausible societies.

I can't think of any setting where magic permeates the world more. There are mages at every turn, one of the main subplots of the first game focused entirely on a witch, the setting is how it is because there was an imperial magocracy in the recent past. It also has the whole high fantasy luke skywalker thing going on, although I'd be willing to grant that's due to it being a video game.

PolloDiablo on
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    So, I played through the PC demo with mage and rogue aswell (my original was on 2h warrior) and boy do the zweihänder types get screwed over. Not only do the mage's auto-attacks deal as much damage as the 2h autoattacks, they also have a large variety of spells to throw about. Rogues also go toe to toe with the two-handers in the auto-attack department, but they have much shorter cooldowns on their abilities so playing them is much less "auto-attack all day erryday".

I also really appreciate the cinematic direction. The part where Flemeth walks off the screen, revealing behind her the dark room with Cassandra standing there, that was very nice. It's not that it's a revolutionary new shot or anything but I don't recall seeing that in video games before, so it's good to know that the people responsible for making the story scenes look all purty-like are on top of things.

Now I just need to play the PS3 demo so I know which combat system I like more and which version to buy.

reVerse on
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    ]
    Zore hit the nail on the head. Magic in high fantasy permeates the setting to a far, far greater degree. The treatment of mages in Thedas is a sharp break from high fantasy tradition

The very fact that the countries in Thedas are in so many ways recognizable as clear analogues to the real world is a large part of why I'd classify it as low fantasy, as well. Some would call it unoriginal, I'd call it realistic. I like that it's a somewhat fantastical spin on plausible societies.

I can't think of any setting where magic permeates the world more. There are mages at every turn, one of the main subplots of the first game focused entirely on a witch, the setting is how it is because there was an imperial magocracy in the recent past. It also has the whole high fantasy luke skywalker thing going on, although I'd be willing to grant that's due to it being a video game.

seriously?

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    reVerse wrote: »
    So, I played through the PC demo with mage and rogue aswell (my original was on 2h warrior) and boy do the zweihänder types get screwed over. Not only do the mage's auto-attacks deal as much damage as the 2h autoattacks, they also have a large variety of spells to throw about. Rogues also go toe to toe with the two-handers in the auto-attack department, but they have much shorter cooldowns on their abilities so playing them is much less "auto-attack all day erryday".

Warriors aren't good at single target DPS. I don't know if you noticed, but when a warrior swings their sword, it hits every enemy in the swing's arc. This also applies to most of their talents. Any time the sword is swung, it will hit everything it touches. There is even an upgrade that will make two-handed weapons hit beyond the actual size of the weapon.

There are some issues with the two-handed weapons in the demo not seeming to upgrade, but a two-handed warrior can do greater effective DPS than a rogue. A mage also isn't going to be hitting that many people at once with their auto-attacks and they lack the threat management skills that a warrior has.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Okay, played the demo, liked it, and I've got the game ordered.
    My question is should I finish DA1 before touching this? I've started playing it, but I'm barely past the origin part, and there's no way I'll have it done before DA2 comes out. Do I shelve the sequel until I've finished the story?

klemming on
    Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Pancake wrote: »

Warriors aren't good at single target DPS. I don't know if you noticed, but when a warrior swings their sword, it hits every enemy in the swing's arc. This also applies to most of their talents. Any time the sword is swung, it will hit everything it touches. There is even an upgrade that will make two-handed weapons hit beyond the actual size of the weapon.

There are some issues with the two-handed weapons in the demo not seeming to upgrade, but a two-handed warrior can do greater effective DPS than a rogue. A mage also isn't going to be hitting that many people at once with their auto-attacks and they lack the threat management skills that a warrior has.

Yeah, I noticed that. However, even if damage-wise it all evens out, warriors seem to have less buttons on higher cooldowns, resulting in more time spent idly auto-attacking, which is boring.

edit: Though the combat animations are extremely good looking, so atleast you have something pretty to look at while you're bored out of your mind, which is a lot like if one were to watch the Kardashian's TV show.

reVerse on
  • Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I kinda went on media blackout for DA2. After playing the demo, the female Hawke sounds much younger then I expected her too. Not that that's *bad* really, just that my expectations were set to Fantasy FemShep.

Does anyone know how old the demo is? I was noticing quite a few odd technical issues and I'm kinda hoping that this is based off of an older build.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Fig-D wrote: »
    I kinda went on media blackout for DA2. After playing the demo, the female Hawke sounds much younger then I expected her too. Not that that's *bad* really, just that my expectations were set to Fantasy FemShep.

Does anyone know how old the demo is? I was noticing quite a few odd technical issues and I'm kinda hoping that this is based off of an older build.

Two to three months old, or so we were told.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I can't think of any setting where magic permeates the world more.

seriously?

That's an overstatement, but magic informs every aspect of their society. Their religion is based on a group of mages invading heaven. Their social structures are all left over from a ruling class of mages. Damn near every character you meet is involved in some way with a mage. To use Lord of the Rings as a counter-example, magic is extremely low-key and understated. There are only a handful of mages in the history of the world. The single most powerful magical artifact has the power to slowly tempt someone. Compare this to super-powered abominations running around and cone of colding everybody.

PolloDiablo on
  • Options
    mirarantmirarant Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'm not sure if this was just a problem with my computer or what but the demo started loading in really awkward places. At the end of an interrogation cutscene the whole scene would freeze with a little loading text to boot, maybe it's just the demo but that seemed fairly poorly executed versus a fade out and then a loading icon.

So far I've only tried the rogue but the demo felt really really easy, a quick peek at the difficulty settings showed the difficulty locked on normal. Origins felt like a hefty challenge from the beginning but the demo only offered the tiniest of challenges at the very last fight where the mage almost bit the dust.

Also funnily enough in the last conversation in the demo the partymembers in the background would change positions with each other sometimes when the camera switched away from them, it felt like some bizarro version of that kids' game where you approach one person who periodically check to see if they can catch you moving :D

Edit: someone mentioned vsync affecting cutscenes if left on, will have to test that.

mirarant on
  • Options
    LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Haven't played the demo yet (weekend!) but wow the demo is getting slagged on the web. So far the most commonly recurring comment is 'lol autoattack combat' (dumbed down, easy combat that consists mostly of watching your character do stuff after you right click once).

This saddens me. Was expecting a more *cough* console-friendly experience but it sounds incredibly simplistic. :(

Lanrutcon on
    Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • Options
    NeliNeli Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I found the combat grating and horrible in DA1. What I did enjoy was everything else.

Any departure from that sort of combat in DA2 will be most welcome.

Neli on
    vhgb4m.jpg
    I have stared into Satan's asshole, and it fucking winked at me.
    [/size]
  • Options
    KeysierKeysier Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Auto attack killed it for me too, it is different for the consoles, right?

Somehow I remember seeing a button press on the screen for the console version to do auto attacks. Maybe I am going crazy, I'll just have to wait and download the demo on my 360 and decide from there. For whatever reason the auto attack thing killed a bit of me for playing the PC Demo. Although I realize that eventually the game will be me pressing buttons constantly when I get the CD reductions on skills (and just a ton of skills to use).

I like that this time around Mages aren't Lords of everything just because of how high the CDs are on skills. Running through Dragon Age with a party of mages and my Arcane Warrior just lolling his way around. While I try a 2handed warrior and hate every single moment of my life

Keysier on
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Lanrutcon wrote: »
    Haven't played the demo yet (weekend!) but wow the demo is getting slagged on the web. So far the most commonly recurring comment is 'lol autoattack combat' (dumbed down, easy combat that consists mostly of watching your character do stuff after you right click once).

This saddens me. Was expecting a more *cough* console-friendly experience but it sounds incredibly simplistic. :(

Stop listening to retarded people.

Combat is not dumbed down. And auto-attacking on the PC as a complaint? That's how it worked in Dragon Age: Origins. That's how it worked in a majority of RPGs in the past. The Dragon Age franchise is not a hack-and-slash dungeon crawler like Diablo. And it doesn't mean you just sit there and with very little input after you click an enemy. There's an emphasis on strategic, pause and play gameplay. You have to be mindful of positioning, aggro, cooldowns, and so forth.

I just don't get why people are suddenly complaining about this now.

And yes, auto-attack is off by default on consoles, though if you want you can enable it. If you want a more hack-and-slash experience, then get it for the Xbox 360 or PS3. If you want a more controlled, strategic experience, get it for the PC.

As far as the demo difficulty, it's locked to the normal setting. Raise the difficulty in the full version if you think it's too easy.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    AuberonAuberon Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

I don't really understand this. DA:O had auto-attacking too, and in some cases (eg. archery), you were better off not using any activated abilities at all. In the DA2 demo, the various aspects of combat are either vastly improved or identical to DA:O. Complaining about the difficulty in a demo, of the tutorial area and a small part of a low-level quest no less, seems to be premature even by bioware forum standards. And as for simplistic, again, it's a demo. A lot of abilities apply conditions that bioware has helpfully CAPITALISED, and as many have secondary effects on enemies with specific conditions; there's a lot of cross-class synergy, and you see approximately none of that in the demo because you're such a low level.

Auberon on
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Here is how the internet works:

DA2 is announced: OMGWTF THEY TURNED IT INTO DYNASTY WARRIORS THIS IS AN ACTION RPG WHAT HAPPENED BIOWARE I LOVED THE COMBAT IN DAO WHAT HAS EA DONE TO YOU

DA2 demo comes out: OMGWTF WHY IS THE COMBAT SO SHITTY IT PLAYS EXACTLY LIKE DAO YOU MEAN I CAN'T ATTACK EVERY TIME I CLICK AND HAVE TO AUTOATTACK WHAT HAS EA DONE TO YOU

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Liked the game but here's a few things I was wondering about that appeared:

Camera likes to pan up sometimes, mostly randomly, and away from the position I had it in.

Portraits are glitched and their entire faces are black and you can only see their hair and eyes and shape of the face.

Game kinda jumping, kinda lag thing that is probably just my computer.

Sword and Board isn't as fun as it used to be (to me at least) so I tried rogue, and god damn is that fun. Probably gonna end up going with that for my first character. I also like that the blue and red dialogue choices are generally good or evil, their just more of a stylistic approach to the dialogue of Hawke.

Oghulk on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Blackjack wrote: »
    Here is how the internet works:

DA2 is announced: OMGWTF THEY TURNED IT INTO DYNASTY WARRIORS THIS IS AN ACTION RPG WHAT HAPPENED BIOWARE I LOVED THE COMBAT IN DAO WHAT HAS EA DONE TO YOU

DA2 demo comes out: OMGWTF WHY IS THE COMBAT SO SHITTY IT PLAYS EXACTLY LIKE DAO YOU MEAN I CAN'T ATTACK EVERY TIME I CLICK AND HAVE TO AUTOATTACK WHAT HAS EA DONE TO YOU

It's funny because it's true.

It's sad because it's so, so predictable.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

The sum of intelligence on the planet is a constant. The population is growing.

What it boils down to is that there is a large segment on the planet who get off on complaining, and they will do so at any turn, never mind if it's justified in any way, shape, or form, without regard to the rest of us who just don't want to hear it.

As for the demo, I got home around 11pm last night, and figured what the hell, and downloaded, installed, and played (as a FemHawke Mage). Some thoughts I had while playing the PC version:

Combat is about 100x better than it was in Origins. I really like the new speed of it, and the "exaggerated combat" scene was pretty freaking sweet. I wasn't too thrilled with the Mage, but that's really not my style of play anyway, so it's no real surprise.

Voice Acted lead character completely killed the immersion for me. The demo felt like playing a movie rather than playing an RPG. I knew this was going to happen, though, and I have the same issue with Mass Effect, so it's not like I'm gonna dock points for it. It's just one of those personal preferences.

Speaking of Voice Acting, I really liked FemHawke's voice. Bioware chose a good voice actress for her.

The presentation is completely outstanding. All of the people who worked on getting the cinematic feel deserve mad props for it.

AspectVoid on
    PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    G RolG Rol Dorsia? Nobody goes there anymore... Nell'sRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Never played DA1, but I thoroughly enjoyed the DA2 demo (360 here). I know it's because I'm a filthy RPG plebian, but I plan on playing this as a hack and slash and using the strategic elements sparingly.

Well, I'll play it provided some of the tech hiccups get cleaned up. Navigating the environment looks a little too Fallout ice skatey for my tastes and some of the scene transitions are a little rough...but the potential of awesome is there.

EDIT: The way the weapons "float" on the characters backs bothers me too, but that's just me being nitpicky.

G Rol on

G%20Rol.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I think, even with glitches and such aside on the part of my stupid computer, that I'll still pick this up on PC so that I can have my DA:O save hop over from it.

Also dual-wield rogue is so much fun. The 2 handed warrior at the start of the exaggerated part was pretty sweet, and felt a ton better than it did in DA:O with the faster movements and such.

Oghulk on
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

People are retarded, news at 11

This game feels 300 times better than DAO ever did in just the short time spent with the demo.

I mean seriously, we're bitching about auto-attacking now? YES I LOVE CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICKING

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

Stop listening to retarded people.

Combat is not dumbed down. And auto-attacking on the PC as a complaint? That's how it worked in Dragon Age: Origins. That's how it worked in a majority of RPGs in the past. The Dragon Age franchise is not a hack-and-slash dungeon crawler like Diablo. And it doesn't mean you just sit there and with very little input after you click an enemy. There's an emphasis on strategic, pause and play gameplay. You have to be mindful of positioning, aggro, cooldowns, and so forth.

If there was one complaint I could level, it's that I wish there was a way to see my aggro level.

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    More like:

CLICK CLICK CLICKCLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICK

BOSS DEAD!

CLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICK

MONSTER DEAD!

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Oghulk on
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    This game is fantastic

Was only going to play the demo once, but ended up playing through it three times. Combat and the abilities are great. Probably going to go Rogue for my first playthrough.

Man and Lady Hawke's VAs are kind of weak, but thats ok. I did notice there were no "Finisher animations" Is that just something that was not in the demo? I thought spells were even getting finisher animations this time around?

Also, why does Flemeth look so entirely different this time? Doesn't the game start out pretty close to the start of the first game?

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    Also, why does Flemeth look so entirely different this time? Doesn't the game start out pretty close to the start of the first game?

New art style.

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Flemeth:

1. Is a legendarily powerful witch being described by a dwarf that has a penchant for exaggeration.

2. Is a legendarily powerful witch that needs to look powerful and intimidating and not crazy.

3. Is a legendarily powerful witch.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Skull2185 wrote: »

This already came up some pages ago.

Remember, Varric is the one telling the story, but he wasn't there when Flemmeth appeared.
    So she looks as he imagined/wanted her to look.

That is to say, crazy awesome.

And with boobs.

Maz- on
    Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Oh, well that makes sense.

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    When I hang out at home my hair tends to be however and I wear my ugly indoor pants. When I go out, I comb my hair and wear something decent.

reVerse on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    You wear pants when you're at home?

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    edited February 2011
    Finland. Cheap apartment. Cold.

reVerse on
  • Options
    AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Well, as one of those who has voiced serious misgivings about this game as compared to DA:O, the short version is the demo hasn't exactly wowed me enough to change my opinion on whether it warrants a purchase. Even before I consider the other dumb crap that's annoyed me. I do think it's interesting enough to be worth borrowing/renting/getting used cheap though.

So, yeah, pretty much exactly what I was expecting.

Astale on
  • Options
    edited February 2011

Buy a snuggie.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    edited February 2011
    I think we'll continue to see Flemeth a lot in future games in the IP simply because it seems that they're using her as a way to propel events in the world in 'her' own direction in a sense.

DA:O: Saving the wardens and all of this and that talk about needing to save the world and such.

DA2: Propelling Hawke to Kirkwall and setting off events with the amulet (don't know about that but supposedly it's a big deal).

Oghulk on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Blackjack wrote: »

Buy a snuggie.

Or save $15 and buy a robe, then wear it backwards.

Edit: Also, Hawke's mom is kind of a bitch. I mean, I know she's upset over the loss of one of her children, but to throw all that guilt on Hawke's shoulders at that moment is shitty...

Skull2185 on
This discussion has been closed.