Options

Dragon Age Thread - [Please post in new thread]

• Options
    EvangirEvangir Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Z0re wrote: »
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    I thought Bethany had an outrageous chest, but then Isabella comes along and is all "No, Rorus, gaze into my rack and see the true meaning of ridiculous."

I had no choice but to kneel in the presence of her absurd proportions.
    The demo was fun though.

If you'll notice, Bethany's chest goes down to a much more reasonable size after Varric stops his legend.

Fiaryn wrote: »
    I hope we can get some clarification from Vsove on 2 Handed Warriors damage issues. I'm hoping it's just a gear/level thing. :(

I dunno, I think someone on the Dragon Age team just hates 2 Handers. I mean they were the worst in Origins by miles and they don't look much better at all now.

This is actually completely wrong. Two-handers were amazing in Origins, you just needed speed buffs and liberal use of Sunder Arms and Sunder Armor. And then Spirit Warrior..... :shock:

Evangir on
    PSN/XBL/STEAM: Evangir - Starcraft 2: Bulwark.955 - Origin: Bulwark955 - Diablo 3: Bulwark#1478
  • Options
    Z0reZ0re Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Evangir wrote: »
    I thought Bethany had an outrageous chest, but then Isabella comes along and is all "No, Rorus, gaze into my rack and see the true meaning of ridiculous."

The demo was fun though.

If you'll notice, Bethany's chest goes down to a much more reasonable size after Varric stops his legend.

I hope we can get some clarification from Vsove on 2 Handed Warriors damage issues. I'm hoping it's just a gear/level thing. :(

I dunno, I think someone on the Dragon Age team just hates 2 Handers. I mean they were the worst in Origins by miles and they don't look much better at all now.

This is actually completely wrong. Two-handers were amazing in Origins, you just needed speed buffs and liberal use of Sunder Arms and Sunder Armor. And then Spirit Warrior..... :shock:

So, you mean Awakening then :p. In vanilla Origins they were terrible. With Momentum runes and a haste stacked on them they become okayish.

Z0re on
  • Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    No he's correct. Two handers in Origins were inferior to everything else in the game, and leveraging another class does not change the fact that the same buffs on a different spec would be better.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    What the shit is with this control scheme? I guess I'm stupid for using kbam?

And I like that some random group of refugees makes my army of Grey Wardens look like inbred retards.

PolloDiablo on
  • Options
    EvangirEvangir Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

The demo was fun though.

So, you mean Awakening then :p. In vanilla Origins they were terrible. With Momentum runes and a haste stacked on them they become okayish.

In Origins too. My favourite play-through is my 2-hand Warrior. Very good damage, lots of stuns and debuffs, and a capable off-tank. Spirit Warrior just breaks the game completely, but it's quite strong before that.

Archery was the only really bad spec in Origins, though some simple mods correct it.

Evangir on
    PSN/XBL/STEAM: Evangir - Starcraft 2: Bulwark.955 - Origin: Bulwark955 - Diablo 3: Bulwark#1478
  • Options
    MindLibMindLib Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    If you don't like the plot or characters, that's a fine and valid complaint. Maybe the writing overall isn't for you.

But if you were expecting a demo to be anything but linear well...I don't know what to tell you. Actually I do: Set more realistic expectations.

You're misunderstanding me sir. All I'm saying is that thus far all signs point to more disappointment for me personally with Dragon Age 2. I came here wondering if anyone shared my opinion, because it seems a rare one. To me Dragon Age is one of, if not the worst, RPG product produced by Bioware.

I'd say my major beef with Dragon Age is a cliche' feeling world. With bland, dreary art direction and music uncomfortably close to the LoTR movies, which I also was not a huge fan of. The mechanics of the game was commendable and interesting but the vehicle it was delivered in was anything but by my standards.

EDIT: Let me caveat,

I'm a big fan of ME, KoTOR, and NWN, but was unable to get into Baldur's Gate. Maybe that says something specific about my tastes, but I'm not sure what that might be.

MindLib on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    If your chief issue is the writing and the setting, we have no reason to believe that's going to be significantly different. That's a fair reason to opt out.

But again, that has nothing to do with my point. A demo is not going to be open ended. That is beyond the scope of a demo.

Personally I'm drawn to Dragon Age specifically because the setting trends towards Low Fantasy.

Fiaryn on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    My chief issue is that the camera is tilted too far down to be a ME-style camera, and it's too zoomed in to be a DA:O-style camera. It's the worst of both worlds.

PolloDiablo on
  • Options
    PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'm still not convinced that Dragon Age actually trends towards anything like low fantasy.

Someone should convince me. Like Fiaryn.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011

The demo was fun though.

In Origins too. My favourite play-through is my 2-hand Warrior. Very good damage, lots of stuns and debuffs, and a capable off-tank. Spirit Warrior just breaks the game completely, but it's quite strong before that.

Archery was the only really bad spec in Origins, though some simple mods correct it.

Um. The point everyone is trying to make is that 2-handers in Origins weren't horrible, they were just inferior to virtually everything else. I'd say the only combat spec that was worse was archery, and that got fixed in Awakenings anyway (to become slightly obscene, actually). Whatever you could do with a 2 hander you could do better and quicker using dual wield in both Origins and Awakenings.

Lanrutcon on
    Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    MindLib wrote: »
    If you don't like the plot or characters, that's a fine and valid complaint. Maybe the writing overall isn't for you.

But if you were expecting a demo to be anything but linear well...I don't know what to tell you. Actually I do: Set more realistic expectations.

You're misunderstanding me sir. All I'm saying is that thus far all signs point to more disappointment for me personally with Dragon Age 2. I came here wondering if anyone shared my opinion, because it seems a rare one. To me Dragon Age is one of, if not the worst, RPG product produced by Bioware.

I'd say my major beef with Dragon Age is a cliche' feeling world. With bland, dreary art direction and music uncomfortably close to the LoTR movies, which I also was not a huge fan of. The mechanics of the game was commendable and interesting but the vehicle it was delivered in was anything but by my standards.

EDIT: Let me caveat,

I'm a big fan of ME, KoTOR, and NWN, but was unable to get into Baldur's Gate. Maybe that says something specific about my tastes, but I'm not sure what that might be.

No idea honestly, I always thought NWN was way more generic than Dragon Age and rife with some pretty bad cliches. If you don't like it though, you don't like it and I doubt any of us will change your mind about it. I would suggest paying attention to some reviews which may give you more information about whether the game is more to your liking or not though, I can't really fathom Dragon Age being the odd one out of that group you listed.

Z0re on
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    It's not how fast you cleave your foes in twain that matters, it's how you do it with your comically large metal club.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Pancake wrote: »
    I'm still not convinced that Dragon Age actually trends towards anything like low fantasy.

Dragon Age is as high fantasy as it is possible to get.

PolloDiablo on
  • Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Yikes, it doesn't look like they'll hit a million.

Hoz on
  • Options
    Alucard6986Alucard6986 xbox: Ubeltanzer swtor: UbelRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Was the intention to hit it on the first day?

Alucard6986 on
    PSN: Ubeltanzer Blizzard: Ubel#1258
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    No, it has a week. The numbers are still going up by quite a bit, but it's slowed down since it started being late at night.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    So after playing the demo, and knowing ahead of time to turn off V-Sync and not touch DX11,

It ran pretty flawlessly at maxed out specs, the textures look really dated, but it's still reasonably fun. A lack of overhead view is a bit of a sore point, but I can tell I'll get over it.

One thing I would absolutely kill for is a setting to have the camera always follow the mouse pointer without holding the right mouse button.

Maddoc on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Yeah, supposedly there's going to be high res textures for download when the full game is out

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    The settings aren't really "maxed out." You're actually stuck at medium settings in the demo. It will look nicer and there will be higher resolution textures available in the full game. For the PC, at least.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2011

Focus on political elements, the treatment of magic as a societal problem to be solved, lack of magical weapons as far as the eye can see. The elven ghettos.

Basically it seems to focus on the human element of fantasy rather than the fantastical element.

Fiaryn on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Not even close.

edit: I meant that for the million downloads.

edit2:

Focus on political elements, the treatment of magic as a societal problem to be solved, lack of magical weapons as far as the eye can see. The elven ghettos.

Basically it seems to focus on the human element of fantasy rather than the fantastical element.

The human element of high fantasy. The very presence of magic and elves mark it as high fantasy.

PolloDiablo on
  • Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Maddoc wrote: »
    One thing I would absolutely kill for is a setting to have the camera always follow the mouse pointer without holding the right mouse button.

that'd make it impossible to click anything on the ui which is far more important gameplay wise

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    edited February 2011

edit2:

The human element of high fantasy. The very presence of magic and elves mark it as high fantasy.

Thats not the definition of high fantasy. High Fantasy deals with fantastical problems, societies that have no analouge on earth because they cannot exist without magic/the unique creatures. Magic is also more powerful and has made the world unrecognizable to what earth really looks like.

Z0re on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Maddoc wrote: »

that'd make it impossible to click anything on the ui which is far more important gameplay wise

Well if you're using the mouse to click on ui elements, yes that would be a hassle. But that's why I'd like it to be an optional setting and not compulsory.

I used my extra mouse buttons and the keyboard for everything, actually. And if I was ever switching between characters it was when the game was paused.

Maddoc on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Zore hit the nail on the head. Magic in high fantasy permeates the setting to a far, far greater degree. The treatment of mages in Thedas is a sharp break from high fantasy tradition

The very fact that the countries in Thedas are in so many ways recognizable as clear analogues to the real world is a large part of why I'd classify it as low fantasy, as well. Some would call it unoriginal, I'd call it realistic. I like that it's a somewhat fantastical spin on plausible societies.

Fiaryn on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Zore hit the nail on the head. Magic in high fantasy permeates the setting to a far, far greater degree. The treatment of mages in Thedas is a sharp break from high fantasy tradition

The very fact that the countries in Thedas are in so many ways recognizable as clear analogues to the real world is a large part of why I'd classify it as low fantasy, as well. Some would call it unoriginal, I'd call it realistic. I like that it's a somewhat fantastical spin on plausible societies.

Yeah, but Hightown, Lowtown, Darktown, hurf hurf hurf.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    ValorynValoryn Ashburn, VirginiaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Hoz wrote: »

"if we get over 1 million demo downloads and logins on the PC, Xbox 360 and PS3 combined before March 1st,"

Valoryn on
  • Options
    edited February 2011

Yeah, but Hightown, Lowtown, Darktown, hurf hurf hurf.

And...and...and dargons!

Fiaryn on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Went back in and checked the keybinds, and it turns out you can also switch characters with the F1 through F4 keys.

So basically, there's no reason I would ever want to click any part of the ui rather than just hit keys.

Wonder if it'd be possible to mod the camera to always follow the mouse rather than having to hold down the right mouse button all the time.

Maddoc on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    The characters look great, the cutscenes have much better direction/cinematography, the battles are fun, the player character is no longer a zombie robot.

They solved all of my problems with the first one.

Alucard6986 on
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Valoryn wrote: »

"if we get over 1 million demo downloads and logins on the PC, Xbox 360 and PS3 combined before March 1st,"

And it's over a third of the way to a million on the first day.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Dashui wrote: »
    Valoryn wrote: »

And it's over a third of the way to a million on the first day.

That'll slow way down though, they need about half their downloads within the first 36 hours at a minimum if they want to hit their goal.

Z0re on
  • Options
    RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Why are people turning off vsync? I'm not having any problems with it.

Rizzi on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Rizzi wrote: »

No idea, since I didn't try with it on, but generally speaking if you don't notice any tearing there's basically no reason to turn it on anyway

Maddoc on
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Rizzi wrote: »

It didn't seem to slow down the framerate for me, although it did make loading cutscenes long and noticeable. There would be constant, several second pauses during the transitions from gameplay to cutscene or cutscene to cutscene. With it off, the transitions were instantaneous.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Oh, interesting. I really notice screen tearing, so I guess I'll leave it on though.

Rizzi on
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'm not sure I even know what screen tearing is.

Maybe I'm better off.

If I knew I'd probably notice it forever and ever and slowly turn into a hateful shell of a human being.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Basically when there's a lot of camera movement, you see lines running across the screen.

Alucard6986 on
  • Options
    Dox the PIDox the PI Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    It's one of those things that you'll see for the first time and never unsee

Dox the PI on
  • Options
    The Big LevinskyThe Big Levinsky Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

A little Wikipedia research reveals that one of the tenants of low fantasy is that it has to take place in the real world, during a real period in history or during the foreseeable future. So by this definition, Dragon Age is most definitely high fantasy. They list The Green Mile as an example of low-fantasy. Fantastical things happening in real settings.

Also, this demo was solid as hell. I'm definitely pre-ordering. Making Hawke a voiced character was a good move. Combat is fluid and fairly well animated except for the fact that moves will land on guys when they've obviously moved out of range (making for some hilarious phantom knockdowns). But overall I am very impressed.

The Big Levinsky on
This discussion has been closed.