As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[RIFT] of the Fortress (Out Now, Guild Info in OP)

• Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    ForceVoid wrote: »
    hoodie13 wrote: »
    so. . . about macros.

I've gotten to the point where I have more abilities than I have accessible numbers on my toolbar, and my usual routine is something like 5,4,1,6,2 and then clicking some abilities on my toolbar2 and I was thinking it'd be nice to instead have one button that does my 5 4 1 6 2 abilities for me.

with that said, what is the syntax for macro programming?

this. i need an walkthrough for this. i am completely new to all this MMO language and everything and need to knoooooooooow

Don't forget you can assign your numpad and combinations of ctrl and alt to fire off abilities.

I use the following:

1-6 for primary abilities
    alt+1-6 for party stuff/short term buffs
    ctrl+1-6 for AoE/damaging spells with long cooldowns
    Q, E, R for mana regen, spell interrupts, etc
    numpad 1-3 for marks
    numpad 4-9 for other things I don't want to click on

Numpad? Do you use your mouse hand to press those? I hate taking my hand off the mouse for anything.

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Figgy wrote: »
    ForceVoid wrote: »
    Don't forget you can assign your numpad and combinations of ctrl and alt to fire off abilities.

I use the following:

1-6 for primary abilities
    alt+1-6 for party stuff/short term buffs
    ctrl+1-6 for AoE/damaging spells with long cooldowns
    Q, E, R for mana regen, spell interrupts, etc
    numpad 1-3 for marks
    numpad 4-9 for other things I don't want to click on

Numpad? Do you use your mouse hand to press those? I hate taking my hand off the mouse for anything.

I have a Razer Naga,
    razer-naga-1.jpg

it maps my numpad to all those thumb buttons on the mouse.

Neurotika on
  • Options
    FirmSkaterFirmSkater Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I don't want to waste another 50 bucks on a game I won't play, so I guess I'll just be waiting to see if this maintains any kind of success after the first month.

I would still like to hear what other people think the worst part of the game is. I'm told by some friends that leveling is very tedious and long.

FirmSkater on
    sig2.jpg
  • Options
    JakarrdJakarrd In the belly of OklahomaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I have my numpad bound to marking so I just highligh enemies and mark. The fact they use numbers makes it easy to remember what's bound to the numpad.

Jakarrd on
    Greetings Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Armada.

76561197990097905.png
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    FirmSkater wrote: »
    I would still like to hear what other people think the worst part of the game is. I'm told by some friends that leveling is very tedious and long.

Yeah, that's kind of... yeah.

Near the end, a lot of the zones wear out their welcome long before you're done with them. They overlap quite a bit, though, so you can zig-zag between them, but then you run into problems with the quest log having limited room.

reVerse on
  • Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Worst thing is the Exposed debuff.

Leveling speed 40+ is a close second.

Dac on
    Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Next patch will increase the quest log size and also increase Rift/Invasion exp by A LOT.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Jakarrd wrote: »
    Supposedly the wait command is still in so I don't know if its still in or works. That would be nice to use in conjunction with various instant casts with no CDs or cycling up several long cast spells. The big one I see with the wait command would be putting all of your buffs on one macro and then starting it when you need to reapply after a death or they run out.

I've tried a macro to cast buffs and it doesn't work. Since the buffs don't have a cooldown, it always tries to cast the first one in the list. If you add a wait command, if gives an error. Any macro will only cast a single ability per macro press. That's pretty much a hard rule.

You used to be able to use the modifiers to circumvent this, but not anymore.

Figgy on
  • Options
    M.D.M.D. and then what happens? Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    question: I have a blazing rune I guess from the collectors pack.

Can I apply that to all my weapons or only one?

M.D. on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I don't want to waste another 50 bucks on a game I won't play, so I guess I'll just be waiting to see if this maintains any kind of success after the first month.

Srsly, what part of getting levels isn't tedious? That should almost be an accepted fact nowadays that if have to level something it will be tedious.

I can't say I've seen a worse part of the game. I have seen things that I've seen in other genres/MMOs that are just going to happen. Node points spread out in such a way that makes it a chore to run around grabbing things, enemies that will sometimes bug out and reset potentially costing me a death, no easy way to move from one area of a zone to the next, getting a lot of people in one area with a lot of effects potentially causing slowdowns and/or crashes.

All I can say is forget about originality. Forget about game-redesigning mechanics. If you enjoy playing MMOs you'll probably enjoy this one as much as any other MMO. It's got things adapted from other games so its really easy to jump into but its still got a learning curve with all the different soul combinations, group setups in dungeons, invasions and warfronts.

The only thing I can currently come up with that may be bad for some people is the fact that you can get a LOT of mobs/rifts opening in areas that will swamp you and kill you. I've seen some people nerdrage in game because they can't get to a quest spot due to a rift nearby messing things up.

Jakarrd on
    Greetings Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Armada.

76561197990097905.png
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Dac wrote: »

Would you mind explaining what the Exposed debuff is about? I'm not familiar with the game and googling doesn't help very much.

FirmSkater on
    sig2.jpg
  • Options
    Al BaronAl Baron Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

Would you mind explaining what the Exposed debuff is about? I'm not familiar with the game and googling doesn't help very much.
    20% damage from attacks while your running away. Stacks up to 5 times.

Note that 'running away' can also mean repositioning.

Al Baron on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    That sounds like a truly stupid idea in the first place.

FirmSkater on
    sig2.jpg
  • Options
    FlipprDolphinFlipprDolphin Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Im enjoying the game and keep trying out different classes =(

I bought the collectors upgrade because i am enjoying the game and have money to burn!

Free mount is clutch. Walking around totally sucks.

You can probably still get the game 15% off at direct2drive with a promo code

FlipprDolphin on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    question: I have a blazing rune I guess from the collectors pack.

Can I apply that to all my weapons or only one?

You can put it on your mainhand and offhand weapon. It won't go away, I've been using mine since lvl 6.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    SelectaSelecta Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I don't know about anyone else but the leveling speed has had no effect on me since I'm in no hurry to hit the cap. I figure I'll spend the next X weeks/months/whatever at 50, might as well fart around and see what I can on the way. It's been nice so far.

Selecta on
    MNWGRdm.png
    PSN: Hellcore- Steam MWO: Hellcore
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    If the game feels like you're running away, every hit from a mob will put a stacking debuff on you that increases your damage taken by 10% per stack, stacking up to 5.

Major problem is the game will do this sometimes when you're not running away, but just shifting position on the battlefield. I've positioned mobs for AoE and suddenly ohlook I'm taking 30% more damage. I can't imagine it'll work well in raids that require movement by the tank at all.

Even when it works as intended it's fucking annoying as Hell. Getting knocked off my mount by mobs 10 levels under me is enough of a punishment, in my opinion. I don't need them to do a ton of damage to me before they leash, too.

e: waaaaay too slow should F5 more.

Dac on
  • Options
    SkyCaptainSkyCaptain IndianaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Riale wrote: »
    Is there anyone at all on these forums playing Guardian? I was thinking of trying them out, as I'm not really feeling the Defiant so far, and if I'm gonna roll one I might as well roll somewhere there are PA folks.

I'm part of the Serenity guild on Hammerlord server, guardian side. Over 200 people... so there's always someone around and more likely to find someone to help.

SkyCaptain on
    The RPG Bestiary - Dangerous foes and legendary monsters for D&D 4th Edition
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I'm sure a lot of the things nagging us now will be fixed at the future. Trion has been pretty great with the patches so far.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Asking in game hasn't given me much success so I'll ask here!

Anyone need to run IT? I need to finish a quest and for some reason finding a group is seeming wayyy to difficult.

DemonStacey on
  • Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Supposedly the wait command is still in so I don't know if its still in or works. That would be nice to use in conjunction with various instant casts with no CDs or cycling up several long cast spells. The big one I see with the wait command would be putting all of your buffs on one macro and then starting it when you need to reapply after a death or they run out.

I've tried a macro to cast buffs and it doesn't work. Since the buffs don't have a cooldown, it always tries to cast the first one in the list. If you add a wait command, if gives an error. Any macro will only cast a single ability per macro press. That's pretty much a hard rule.

I think that's pretty fucking fail considering that the people who would actually care to cheese the system with multiple macros are just going to get that functionality by buying those performance gaming keyboards with a million macro buttons that can assign a million keypresses to each button. . .

Anyway *cough* *cough* I think my current keyboard is on the fritz. . . can anyone recommend a keyboard in the $80 to $130 price range?

anyway I think the main thing to take away from Rift's launch is that it launched with about as much polish as WoW had when I played for a few months before to a few months after Burning Crusade came out. Comparing it to WAR or Conan's launches is just some serious fanboyism by people who feel like their game of choice is being threatened by someone else's game of choice.

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited March 2011

Exposed PLUS easily getting dismounted when hit PLUS outleveled mobs still having the same aggro range = raaaaage

Echo on
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    It sure is great getting dismounted by mobs that stopped giving you experience twenty levels ago.

Although apparently this is only a problem with the 60% mounts. They're classified as "skittish", which apparently means they get dismounted easier.

reVerse on
  • Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    yeah that's a feature I'd like in the near future. . . having grey mobs not bother you while you're running around.

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Use the "feedback" option in the game, write a proper text about it and send it. It's what I did.
    If enough people do it, Trion will listen :D

I have a lot of faith in them :D

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    hoodie13hoodie13 punch bro Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    reVerse wrote: »
    It sure is great getting dismounted by mobs that stopped giving you experience twenty levels ago.

Although apparently this is only a problem with the 60% mounts. They're classified as "skittish", which apparently means they get dismounted easier.

OK if this is the reason, that's actually a really good reason and I support it. I kept wondering what they meant by "skittish".

hoodie13 on
    PSN: HoodieThirteen
    XBL: Torn Hoodie
    @hoodiethirteen
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited March 2011

Huh. Going to keep an eye out for that, I got my level 40 mount last night.

Echo on
  • Options
    edited March 2011

"Easier." I dunno.

I mean, my 40% mount can take maybe ONE hit from mobs chasing before the second dismounts it.

So I guess it's more resilient.

But.

I stay in range of the enemies because they RUN at my mount speed (practically). So they're almost guaranteed to get off a second hit if they've hit me once already.

The 40% mount might as well be Skittish because it's the same f*cking thing if it is or is not. An enemy that hits you is going to dismount you nine out of ten times.

Dac on
  • Options
    edited March 2011

I think that's pretty fucking fail considering that the people who would actually care to cheese the system with multiple macros are just going to get that functionality by buying those performance gaming keyboards with a million macro buttons that can assign a million keypresses to each button. . .

Anyway *cough* *cough* I think my current keyboard is on the fritz. . . can anyone recommend a keyboard in the $80 to $130 price range?

Just because something can be circumvented with hardware doesn't mean they should let you do it easily via software.

MMO combat is already about pushing some buttons. What makes it even remotely interested for me is figuring out the proper buttons to press and when in order to achieve the maximum efficiency. I don't want a macro to do all that for me. How fast would pressing a single button during combat get old? I'd imagine halfway through the first fight.

If you want to drop a C note in order to expedite your boredom of the game's combat, feel free, but they shouldn't have it easily accessible in the game so that it becomes the norm to have that set up.

Plus, you're going to get tells from a GM on occasion using a macro keyboard to make sure you're actually there, playing your character. The official response about macro keyboards was basically, "We can tell when things are being automated, but if you're actually there at your keyboard and able to respond to a GM's inquiry, it's not botting."

Figgy on
  • Options
    wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I started a mage last night and ohmygod the global cooldown is so long. This, of course, coming off of playing a rogue >.>

wazilla on
    Psn:wazukki
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    wazilla wrote: »
    I started a mage last night and ohmygod the global cooldown is so long. This, of course, coming off of playing a rogue >.>

The global cool down is the same for all classes, no? Or are you just saying you wish it wasn't there for instant spells?

Figgy on
  • Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

The global cool down is the same for all classes, no? Or are you just saying you wish it wasn't there for instant spells?

I'm pretty sure it's shorter for melee, or at least for rogues. It certainly felt noticeable when I toyed around on my rogue alt after playing a mage for 30+ levels. This would also be consistent with WoW, so it's probably true.

Bobble on
  • Options
    wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Bobble wrote: »

I'm pretty sure it's shorter for melee, or at least for rogues. It certainly felt noticeable when I toyed around on my rogue alt after playing a mage for 30+ levels. This would also be consistent with WoW, so it's probably true.

Yeah it's very much noticeably shorter on my rogue.

wazilla on
    Psn:wazukki
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    People that keep saying marksman/ranger feels like you aren't doing damage,

I just don't get you. I'm marks/ranger/bard and I obliterate everything

spend your points better/get a better gun?

Weaver on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Thanks for showing us your build weaver and thereby helping us be as good as you.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Weaver wrote: »

How are you obliterating? What is your build? What is your ability order? Are you single target killing or multiple? Is this pve or pvp?

Jakarrd on

76561197990097905.png
  • Options
    BenebBeneb Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    The one thing I don't really like about being an assassin, is that you really don't have the boom gank and you're dead anymore EVEN if you get them from stealth. Now there are still quite a few times where I can take out most people, but its usually just other rogues and non shielded warriors. Now I get why a heavily armored tank should be able to prevent my huge bleeds, that is fine. But the fact that pretty much ANY class that has ANY type of heal can easily survive an ambush is strange to me, which can be said for almost all pure dps classes in pvp.

Once I get a good gun/bow I'm going to try out marks/ranger in pvp. I've played a hunter/ranged class in almost all my previous MMOs so it will be nice to try it out. Btw...did I mention I love being able to go from pure melee to pure ranged? Love this game.

I do like our consistent damage in pve and overall enjoy the different balance with all the classes and combinations. I still plan on using my rogue, but the more I run into warriors in pvp and from what I see across all the warfronts, warriors seem pretty damn awesome right now.

One more question with pvp...so why does it feel like diminishing returns on CC never kick in when I'm feared/stunned by 4 different people?

Beneb on
  • Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Agreed that the exposed debuff is by far the worst thing about this game. Hoping they wise up and remove this chicanery!

I would say getting knocked off my horse is the 2nd worst, but I just got my mecha-pony and I seem to manage to stay on it reasonably well. All things considered that's pretty good. I guess I could bitch that some of the environments are a little bland, but I'd be reaching for things at that point.

Anyway, Earthy-boy hit 41 last night - don't really agree about the leveling speed, but maybe it gets worse between 41-50. Seems pretty damn fast to me, but I guess that's because my druish shamanticar breaks faces like fake braces.

Thing is, I've got Vanquish, Dead Space 2, Codblops, and (soon) Dragon Age Dos sitting there, demanding to be played. Probably a good thing, since I don't really want to burn out on this game too fast. I am looking forward to rolling on the pain train with my KoA bros though, so we'll see.

firewaterword on
    Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Weaver wrote: »

How are you obliterating? What is your build? What is your ability order? Are you single target killing or multiple? Is this pve or pvp?

and what level is he? Important context when comparing 2 people's impressions of a soul.

Bobble on
  • Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    That sounds like a truly stupid idea in the first place.

What the hell? Whoever thought about this should be shot. As enjoyable as the game is, there are a couple of "little things" missing or in the game that make me scratch my head all kinds of sideways.

The dismounting and low lvl mob aggro is of course a big one. When I found the "secret path" around Kings Retreat to Iron Tomb shortcut it made things a lot less annoying not having to run through the mass of Crazed Defiants and Endless Cultists. I've yet to find such a path in Stonefield or places not near Kings Retreat. I haven't seen any justification for this. Hopefully it is removed entirely as I can't see the point of it other than as a deterrent to invading enemy players?

[quest]
    One more question with pvp...so why does it feel like diminishing returns on CC never kick in when I'm feared/stunned by 4 different people?[/quest]

Cause it doesn't. Thankfully things are so fast paced that rarely will someone chain CC me, but oh yea, I have had somone chain transmorgriphy me. If there was diminishing returns, they never reached it before I got jumped or they died.

ED! on
    "Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
This discussion has been closed.