As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[RIFT] of the Fortress (Out Now, Guild Info in OP)

• Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Docshifty wrote: »
    Just want to get this traight: I have two talents that fully spec'd boost healing and crit damage by 20%. They do not stack, correct?

They do stack, in some form. I'm not sure if it ends up being like... 25% overall, or 40%, though. Also, Doc... who are you on Faeblight?

I'm the one with the long name you're never going to retype. Honestly I can't even remember how to spell it correctly. Kaerynarin, I think? Also Haryan.

Docshifty on
  • Options
    28682868 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So good idea for my Defiant: Shaman, Warden, Purifier? I have a rogue and mage soul on Guardian side (Faemist), the warrior side seems sort of awesome in the overwhelming choice sense, so I figure cleric is it.

Do Shamanic types use shields or two handers?

2868 on
    Warhams. Allatime warhams.

buy warhams
  • Options
    SkyCaptainSkyCaptain IndianaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Just want to get this traight: I have two talents that fully spec'd boost healing and crit damage by 20%. They do not stack, correct?

They do stack, in some form. I'm not sure if it ends up being like... 25% overall, or 40%, though. Also, Doc... who are you on Faeblight?

I'm the one with the long name you're never going to retype. Honestly I can't even remember how to spell it correctly. Kaerynarin, I think? Also Haryan.

Rift has tab complete on names. Just type enough and hit tab. :mrgreen:

SkyCaptain on
    The RPG Bestiary - Dangerous foes and legendary monsters for D&D 4th Edition
  • Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'm having a really hard time staying driven in this game. Cleric just flat out wasn't for me, so I started to play my Mage. After trying a number of soul combination I found the "Warlock + Necro Solo/Death Machine". While this set up makes the mage playable...It's just hard to stay interested.

I'm running around Freemarch at level 14 thinking "Dude, I already did this exact quest and there are no other options so...I guess I'll go kill those boars again." I am just not motivated to do the same line up of quests even for the second time.

This worries me.

Anon the Felon on
  • Options
    28682868 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    HOLY SHIT I CAN BE THE INCREDIBLE HULK!

2868 on
    Warhams. Allatime warhams.

buy warhams
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2011
    WAR had the standard bait-and-switch. The early levels (especially Tier 1) quickly ropes you, and by the third tier you see how it all starts to fall apart. I mean, I legitimately enjoyed beta because I never gazed into the abyss that is Tier 3. The game also had a weird fetish with PvE, requiring you to run dungeons to compete in the high-stakes PvP stuff. And the lakes were so small.

Honestly, WAR could live if it got some shake-up to the campaign. It has a small following, but it's a slow bleed because the game is pretty much the same as it was at launch, and that's only entertaining for so long.

Contrast Rift, where the game gets better as I level. I'd say 1-10 are terrible and something Trion should work on.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    The worst part about 1-10, is that you will follow the EXACT same path everytime you do it; no exceptions no flexibility. Mercifully with dedicated questing you can be done in 2/3 hours.

ED! on
    "Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2011
    So with my processor being an AMD dual-core 2.9Ghz, video card a GeForce 9600 GT and ram at 3 giggies, should I bother upgrading my video and/or RAM? Or just start the framework for building a new rig? I'm using Windows 7 32-bit, if that is relevant.

I just remember doing invasions in Scarwood and the game fucking had a stroke when guardians showed up.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I have a 9800 GT; other than logging into capital cities or VERY large invasions (like more than 2/3 full Raids), game seems to truck along fine at max resolution. Granted my graphical nicities are toned down big time (shadows, lighting, etc.) - but still.

If I were going to upgrade, I would hit the video card.

ED! on
    "Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    SaerisSaeris Borb Enthusiast flapflapflapflapRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Find a 64-bit Windows 7 disc and install that. You can use the exact same license key as for 32-bit. I think that's the cheapest performance boost you'll find, considering it's free.

Saeris on
    borb_sig.png
  • Options
    JakarrdJakarrd In the belly of OklahomaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So, my introduction to scarwood was to fight a few myrmidons that were running down the road to scarwood lift. And by few I mean there were 5 groups going to setup camp.

Did I preface this yet with being in justicar role with even justice? OH MY GOD, it was tight but me and 3 others actually destroyed them. With dual shields and my even justice procing up to 70+ hp per mob hit (max of 5) my health bar was bouncing all over the place.

Man that was fun.

So I'll postface this with a hot damn that was a fun time. Got 250+ planarite and 6 of those stone thingies that gave me a Uythradge's Torment, epic lesser that is str 10 end 6 ap 5. Might make some bank off that!

Jakarrd on
    Greetings Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Armada.

76561197990097905.png
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Wow, just got to see my first air rift. Sooooo many floating rocks. It's like semi-permanent F5!

Jakarrd on
    Greetings Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Armada.

76561197990097905.png
  • Options
    MayGodHaveMercyMayGodHaveMercy Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Jakarrd wrote: »
    Uythradge's Torment, epic lesser that is str 10 end 6 ap 5. Might make some bank off that!

I've had one up for 1.6P for about 6 hours now. No bites yet. :(

MayGodHaveMercy on
    XBL: Mercy XXVI - Steam: Mercy_XXVI - PSN: Mercy XXVI
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    So with my processor being an AMD dual-core 2.9Ghz, video card a GeForce 9600 GT and ram at 3 giggies, should I bother upgrading my video and/or RAM? Or just start the framework for building a new rig? I'm using Windows 7 32-bit, if that is relevant.

I just remember doing invasions in Scarwood and the game fucking had a stroke when guardians showed up.

I have an 8800 GT and 4GB Dual Channel DDR2. I was running an AMD 4200 Dual Core 2.GHz. I'm now running an AMD Phenom II 940 3.0 overclocked about 10% and the difference was staggering. I could probably squeeze a bit more performance out of this rig with a Geforce 460, but that can wait a bit. After that, I'd need a complete rebuild, as even the 940 chip is using beta BIOS to fit with my AM2 chip board. I don't obsess over my frame-rate or anything, but even in large-scale invasions I'd say the game runs very, very well. And I'm running on Ultra settings with a few options actually cranked higher (like object draw distance.)

TL;DR: Upgrade your CPU for the best bang-for-your-buck now, but it depends on your motherboard.

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Okay, seriously, the last 14 levels are just too much. 180,000 XP when I'm getting 4k (tops) for a quest is.... ridiculous. 35 quests for one level? If that's normal, I'm glad I quit playing MMOs. Don't make the grind the reason I play for longer than a month. Make the shit that happens after the grind awesome.

MayGodHaveMercy on
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    WAR had the standard bait-and-switch. The early levels (especially Tier 1) quickly ropes you, and by the third tier you see how it all starts to fall apart. I mean, I legitimately enjoyed beta because I never gazed into the abyss that is Tier 3. The game also had a weird fetish with PvE, requiring you to run dungeons to compete in the high-stakes PvP stuff. And the lakes were so small.

Honestly, WAR could live if it got some shake-up to the campaign. It has a small following, but it's a slow bleed because the game is pretty much the same as it was at launch, and that's only entertaining for so long.

Contrast Rift, where the game gets better as I level. I'd say 1-10 are terrible and something Trion should work on.

The hardest time I'm having with this game, is I spent years playing Eve and WAR with goons, and I'm an SE forumer. The hardest thing for me is being nice. I think I'm doing well so far but huuuurrrrrrg it hurts

Weaver on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    So... completeing the critters artifact set nets you a Spirit of Tears epic collectible summon and a Hoard container. Container only had a Mighty Healing Potion, int scroll lev 40, lucky coin, 36 gold. Meh.
    2011-03-08_002358.jpg

I prefer Hoppy, the bunny oh doom.

Jakarrd on

76561197990097905.png
  • Options
    theconductor221theconductor221 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    God damn, they need to lower the frequency of Rifts and Invasions, can't get any shit done whatsoever.
    Also, anyway to lock my Raid frames in? they keep moving around.

theconductor221 on
  • Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    God damn, they need to lower the frequency of Rifts and Invasions, can't get any shit done whatsoever.

Can't lower the frequency, it's based on the population of a zone.

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Okay, seriously, the last 14 levels are just too much. 180,000 XP when I'm getting 4k (tops) for a quest is.... ridiculous. 35 quests for one level? If that's normal, I'm glad I quit playing MMOs. Don't make the grind the reason I play for longer than a month. Make the shit that happens after the grind awesome.

There are already a shit ton of level 50 people and they've only been playing for what? 2 weeks?

36 quests is actually about 3 times faster than the last stretch in world of warcraft, incidentally, so maybe MMOs aren't for you. I'm starting to think they aren't for me anymore either

override367 on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Weaver wrote: »

The hardest time I'm having with this game, is I spent years playing Eve and WAR with goons, and I'm an SE forumer. The hardest thing for me is being nice. I think I'm doing well so far but huuuurrrrrrg it hurts

Why the fuck do you need to be nice? Be you. I'm me, and half the guild has me on ignore. I embrace that.

Disclaimer: Only one person put me on ignore, and it was temporary. :P

EDIT: Override - A friend actually levelled my character in WoW for me (48-54), because I just couldn't do it. But the thing is, I love MMO Endgames. It's the grind that makes me crazy. And yeah, maybe it's 35 quests now, but I'm only level 37. What's it going to be like at 44?

MayGodHaveMercy on
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Oh I'm with you, I think MMOs as a genre have really not given a whole heck of a lot of shits about the leveling process for some time. Cataclysm had a few extremely non standard zones and quests and then went and dropped the ball by padding the zones with 70 "go here kill this" quests

For example they got this underwater zone with some really goddamn amazing cinematic quests, like a sea battle from the bridge of a submarine or a kraken tearing your boat a new one. They also have 77 "get me 10 bear asses" quests, and I can't really blame Rift too much for copying that.

Thankfully there seems to be as much or more exp from rifting and pvp, but I think Rift is the last time I'm ever going to pay money for an MMO that doesn't change the game as far as questing is concerned

override367 on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    don't diss on invasion rates, that is how you get rare planar gear

unless you're buying plats from farmers

Weaver on
  • Options
    TagTag Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

I've had this problem too, they stack up originally and then every party moves up in a step pattern, or up/down in a... heartbeat? pattern. Really annoying; I just want them to line up like they do in the layout editor.

Tag on
    Overwatch: TomFoolery#1388
    Black Desert: Family Name: Foolery. Characters: Tome & Beerserk.
    (Retired) GW2 Characters (Fort Aspenwood): Roy Gee Biv
    (Retired) Let's Play: Lone Wolf
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Tag wrote: »

I've had this problem too, they stack up originally and then every party moves up in a step pattern, or up/down in a... heartbeat? pattern. Really annoying; I just want them to line up like they do in the layout editor.

It's all in how you snap them together. If you snap one raid group to the bottom (or top) of another, it's going to shift as one group gets more or less full.

Try snapping them to the sides of the ones beside them.

< 1 < 2 < 3

< 4 < 5 < 6

That should make each row of groups stay in place. 1 and 4 are snapped to the left side of the screen. Each group then snaps to the group on its left. The two rows (1,2,3 and 4,5,6) should not be snapped to each other.

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    M.D.M.D. and then what happens? Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Damn I jsut played from lvl 1-13

I didnt even notice the time pass :(

this game is gonna get me addicted damn it

I dunno what im doing with my points but can I get my points back that I spend in my classes?

Cause right now im doing more crit stuff with stormcaller/elementalist kinda thing but not sure if that is like the best choice for that.

M.D. on
  • Options
    MegaMekMegaMek Girls like girls. Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    You can respec at your level for free practically. Just talk to your trainer to refund your points.

MegaMek on
    Is time a gift or punishment?
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    You can always spend a few gold to reset your point, but the real joy is once you've earned all of your souls and you have multiple roles set up that you can switch through.

Right now my main role is marksman/ranger/bard, with which I'm pretty much destroying everything in my zone, and then I'm alting with bladedancer/riftwalker/assassin, which allows me to take some time off for stabbing people in new and creative ways.

Weaver on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Keep in mind that after you get your extra souls at level 15, you can swap out any soul that you have 0 points in at any time. So when you respec you'll be able to get rid of souls you don't like.

Also, +crit is great for stormcaller.

MegaMek on
  • Options
    M.D.M.D. and then what happens? Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Ah ok

I pretty much picked my 3 starting classes or souls based on what was recommended to go with stormcaller

So I have stormcaller/elementalist/dominator I believe, so far I haven't really done anything in the dominator field

The only points I put into elementalist increased my crit chances.

M.D. on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited March 2011
    question should I pick my other classes as soon as possible or keep putting points into my main first?

Like I picked stormcaller on my start up and im a quest that says I can pick another branch mastery or the same one or something.

Im still learning and not sure what is going on :s

You can't put more points into a single soul than your current level, and you'll get enough points to diversify.

Echo on
  • Options
    zen-zen- Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Basically just don't worry about what choices you make at this early stage, as you'll be able to give your character three completely different souls at a later date.

It took me a while to believe that I couldn't horrendously gimp my character, but it does seem truly impossible.

zen- on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Ah ok

I pretty much picked my 3 starting classes or souls based on what was recommended to go with stormcaller

So I have stormcaller/elementalist/dominator I believe, so far I haven't really done anything in the dominator field

The only points I put into elementalist increased my crit chances.

If you're liking stormcaller and want to stick with it you'll want to go up dominator too. Especially if you want to do any PvP; Dominator is the best PvP spec because of how powerful crowd control abilities are. If they can hit you, you'll die instantly; so don't let them hit you.

But yeah, try out everything. Rescpecs are cheap and experimenting is fun. I'm doing a pyro/dom build right now that I'm loving.

MegaMek on
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    This game eats my time raw.

Yesterday Zoidberg and me were talking on Skype and I was all "Oh hey,let's do these quests together ok?". I then looked at the clock and it was 2am already D: I had to get up for work 6 hours later!

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    BlehBlehAmigaBlehBlehAmiga Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    ED! wrote: »
    The worst part about 1-10, is that you will follow the EXACT same path everytime you do it; no exceptions no flexibility. Mercifully with dedicated questing you can be done in 2/3 hours.

You mean 1-36ish when you can then choose between Moonshade and Droughtlands, but probably have to do both anyway? Unless you count not questing and doing warfronts or something another path. Questing is pretty much on a rail all the way. Though I suppose you could change the order you do individual quests at a particular hub to really shake things up.

BlehBlehAmiga on
    ffbe ign: Kas
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    To be fair, I can't really fault them for not having a bajillion different level paths. I mean,the game just came out. It's their first MMO. They have a SHIT TON of content for all levels already in this, at launch.

I can certainly forgive them for having a rather linear questing experience.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Klyka wrote: »
    To be fair, I can't really fault them for not having a bajillion different level paths. I mean,the game just came out. It's their first MMO. They have a SHIT TON of content for all levels already in this, at launch.

Bit of a late reply but I'd definitely be interested in joining the EU guild! I'm still finding my feet and I'm only level 9 but I'll send you or someone else a pm in game for an invite! My character name is Daz.

SharpyVII on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    SharpyVII wrote: »
    Klyka wrote: »

Bit of a late reply but I'd definitely be interested in joining the EU guild! I'm still finding my feet and I'm only level 9 but I'll send you or someone else a pm in game for an invite! My character name is Daz.

I'll be at work all day, so do a /who PlanaryArcadia and send whoever is online a message. They all got invite privileges :D

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    Al BaronAl Baron Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    36 quests is actually about 3 times faster than the last stretch in world of warcraft, incidentally, so maybe MMOs aren't for you. I'm starting to think they aren't for me anymore either
    Not if those same 35 quest take the same amount of time due to how the pace of combat and travel are in RIFT.

Also, you can also quest your way to the cap, not 1-2 levels from the cap where your staring down having either running Charmer's Caldera and Abyssal Precipice, finding and closing rifts that depend on population that's not there for the zones, or grinding elites (which apparently can on average give you more XP than quest turn-ins.) Which is better than some game but still isn't good enough.

Al Baron on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Weaver wrote: »

Why the fuck do you need to be nice? Be you. I'm me, and half the guild has me on ignore. I embrace that.

Disclaimer: Only one person put me on ignore, and it was temporary. :P

EDIT: Override - A friend actually levelled my character in WoW for me (48-54), because I just couldn't do it. But the thing is, I love MMO Endgames. It's the grind that makes me crazy. And yeah, maybe it's 35 quests now, but I'm only level 37. What's it going to be like at 44?

I don't get this mentality at all. It even MORE of a grind at max level. At least you have a level and some numbers and gradual progression with obvious results (talents, new abilities etc) while leveling. When you hit max you get new armor that slowly makes you stronger and usually in ways you barely notice.

I just don't get it. The endgame seems fun but then you realize its the same thing, minus the grind. So you have LESS to play for.

Kai_San on
This discussion has been closed.