As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[RIFT] of the Fortress (Out Now, Guild Info in OP)

• Options
    PaperPrittPaperPritt Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    also to the euro PA guild : quick announcement, if you want those neat 14 slot bags, send me all your silk! and if you want leathery stuff which are awesome, send me more crafting materials! and i will provide!

I can also do mage stuff, so if you see anything that you want, drop me a tell, a mail whatever!

I think the 20 slots are at 220 skill, so keep those mats coming!

PaperPritt on
  • Options
    TagTag Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Figgy wrote: »
    Tag wrote: »
    Also, anyway to lock my Raid frames in? they keep moving around.

I've had this problem too, they stack up originally and then every party moves up in a step pattern, or up/down in a... heartbeat? pattern. Really annoying; I just want them to line up like they do in the layout editor.

It's all in how you snap them together. If you snap one raid group to the bottom (or top) of another, it's going to shift as one group gets more or less full.

Try snapping them to the sides of the ones beside them.

< 1 < 2 < 3

< 4 < 5 < 6

That should make each row of groups stay in place. 1 and 4 are snapped to the left side of the screen. Each group then snaps to the group on its left. The two rows (1,2,3 and 4,5,6) should not be snapped to each other.

I've reset the UI layout to default several times; it fixes it initially but always breaks later.

Tag on
    Overwatch: TomFoolery#1388
    Black Desert: Family Name: Foolery. Characters: Tome & Beerserk.
    (Retired) GW2 Characters (Fort Aspenwood): Roy Gee Biv
    (Retired) Let's Play: Lone Wolf
  • Options
    NeliNeli Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    My rogue has pretty much leveled in PvP. I did almost nothing in Freemarch and while I did quest some in Stonefield (I like that area) I just skipped over all of the Gorge and moved straight to Scarwood, which I'll probably also skip because PvP is so much more fun

I guess it helps if you got people to always play the warfronts with.

I'll save the areas I never quested in for some alt or something

Neli on
    vhgb4m.jpg
    I have stared into Satan's asshole, and it fucking winked at me.
    [/size]
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I am having a hard time enjoying PvP. I seem to be unable to kill anyone no matter what build I go with.
    I guess all I can do is take a Bard role and heal my group, everything else seems completely uneffective.

Guardians are steamrolling us every single game. Farming us at spawn, laughing and taunting us.
    One time someone said he came over to Defiant side cause he was sick of losing as a Guardian.
    We looked at him like he was some kind of monster.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    MegaMekMegaMek Girls like girls. Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Warriors are kings of PvP at the moment. Rogues kinda have it hard except Sabs and Bards. Clerics don't die until someone mana burns them. Mages fall to pieces if anything even looks at them funny.

The amount of CC getting thrown around in a typical warfront is incredibly silly to me.

MegaMek on
    Is time a gift or punishment?
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Yeah, I'll just go Bard and heal. It's the only way to enjoy PvP as a Rogue.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I just read that mentioning RIFT in-game in WoW or on their forums is now a bannable offense.

True?

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Well, one of the bannable offenses on their forums is "advertising", so it could fall under that, maybe?

reVerse on
  • Options
    IslandIsland Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    L O L
    So I guess the last time I closed RIFT it didnt close properly, and it errored out. Well that little error box has stayed open on my screen for the last 2 days. Because I've been busy and I turned off my autosleep; Steam believes that I have been playing RIFT this entire time.

End result..... 103 hours played, I was at 25 when I closed it....

:)

Island on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    You tell yourself that.
    You tell yourself that when you go to sleep after tucking in your three level 50 characters :P

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    O, Christ, that is just my luck. I get home from work all excited to play this game and the second I open the character screen and click on my mage the servers go down.

Are they deploying a patch or something?

EDIT: No, I'm just having connection issues. Stupid computer.

MegaMek on
  • Options
    ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I don't know, I do well with my Rogue and Mage in PvP.

The ranged souls for rogue are better in my opinion. You've got Marksman and Saboteur who can both do great things in any of the warfronts, and of course the Bard which is an incredibly valuable asset to any team.

As for mages, I've found Stormcaller and Chloromancer to be incredible. Stormcaller has so many AoEs, CC's and ways to fuck people over it is kind of incredible, though I'd say it doesn't really become very good until later in the game, around 30ish. Pair it up with Dominator and you've got a wide range of tools to ruin someones day with.

Chloromancer is just generally a very fun class to play. You deal moderate damage and you can team-heal just as well as a bard. It's fragile, but I find that I can live to the last man in any conflict if I just pay attention and keep my distance so it's not that much of an issue for me.

Compared to my cleric I find both Rogue and Mage a whole lot more fun.

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    vallavvallav Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    MegaMek wrote: »
    O, Christ, that is just my luck. I get home from work all excited to play this game and the second I open the character screen and click on my mage the servers go down.

Are they deploying a patch or something?

EDIT: No, I'm just having connection issues. Stupid computer.

Estimated 30 minute downtime

vallav on
  • Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Dont be fooled, servers came back less than 5 minutes later

Kai_San on
  • Options
    NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Chloromancers,

Originally built as a Chloro/Warlock for Sac life: Mana. Now that I am 27, I have access to both Chloro mana-regen options: the mana regen shield and the when my target takes damage, I get mana.

Any 30ish Chloros find those two cooldowns able to fill your mana needs? I'm thinking about subbing Warlock out for Archon for the buffs.

Neurotika on
  • Options
    Mnemon-CorbantisMnemon-Corbantis Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    FirmSkater wrote: »
    I am looking pretty seriously at this game but I need this threads totally honest opinions.

Can this game last longer than a few months? The last two MMOs I seriously looked at were APB and Star Trek: Online. I don't even want to talk about APB and Star Trek was fun for about a month and I lost interest.

Also, what is the worst part about this game?

I've been telling folks i know still playing WoW - IMO this game is worth checking out just to see the massive invasions. I seriously can't think of anything I've experienced that are as chaotic.

Think of the elemental invasions as part of the march toward Cata, but with many more mobs who would spawn all over the map and start marching toward player hubs.

Mnemon-Corbantis on
    logo.png
    Empire - Veela Server
  • Options
    hoodie13hoodie13 punch bro Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'm taking a couple voluntary days off. I played like freakin' mad over the weekend and need to give myself a RIFT-rest or I'll get burnt out. Also, the missus would like some attention too. And there's Dragon Age 2.

nnnnnnnnnnnnnn i should just quit my job right, thats the easy solution here right

hoodie13 on
    PSN: HoodieThirteen
    XBL: Torn Hoodie
    @hoodiethirteen
  • Options
    RialeRiale I'm a little slow Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Is there anyone at all on these forums playing Guardian? I was thinking of trying them out, as I'm not really feeling the Defiant so far, and if I'm gonna roll one I might as well roll somewhere there are PA folks.

Riale on
    33c9nxz.gif
    Steam | XBL: Elazual | Last.fm
  • Options
    Mnemon-CorbantisMnemon-Corbantis Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I am. I roll with these guys on Briarcliff ...

www.nkings.com

Mnemon-Corbantis on
    logo.png
    Empire - Veela Server
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I tried going Marksman with my Rogue and it felt like I shot peas at people.
    I generally feel like I do NO damage to anyone and no one does damage to me.
    If it's not at least 3 people attacking me, I won't die. If it's not at least 3 of us attacking one of them, he'll just stand there,laugh and get healed to full.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    You did train new ranks of your abilities, right?

captaink on
  • Options
    JakarrdJakarrd In the belly of OklahomaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Klyka wrote: »
    This game eats my time raw.

Yesterday Zoidberg and me were talking on Skype and I was all "Oh hey,let's do these quests together ok?". I then looked at the clock and it was 2am already D: I had to get up for work 6 hours later!

I've had that problem. Me and the roommate will be rifting and then he's like "oh crap I'm 15 mins late for work!" and then I'll laugh and the next thing I know I'm going "oh crap, its 2am and I need to get some sleep!"

I have been taking sooooo many naps at lunch now to adjust for my sleep change now. :(

Jakarrd on
    Greetings Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Armada.

76561197990097905.png
  • Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    so. . . about macros.

I've gotten to the point where I have more abilities than I have accessible numbers on my toolbar, and my usual routine is something like 5,4,1,6,2 and then clicking some abilities on my toolbar2 and I was thinking it'd be nice to instead have one button that does my 5 4 1 6 2 abilities for me.

with that said, what is the syntax for macro programming?

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    hoodie13hoodie13 punch bro Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    so. . . about macros.

I've gotten to the point where I have more abilities than I have accessible numbers on my toolbar, and my usual routine is something like 5,4,1,6,2 and then clicking some abilities on my toolbar2 and I was thinking it'd be nice to instead have one button that does my 5 4 1 6 2 abilities for me.

this. i need an walkthrough for this. i am completely new to all this MMO language and everything and need to knoooooooooow

hoodie13 on
    PSN: HoodieThirteen
    XBL: Torn Hoodie
    @hoodiethirteen
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    captaink wrote: »
    You did train new ranks of your abilities, right?

Yes.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    aha! I googled rift wiki, then within searched macro and found this

god damn it internet, why do I even bother to ask questions anymore. Internet made asking questions of other people obsolete.

edit: and there goes my master plan 'YOU CAN ONLY USE ONE ABILITY PER MACRO'
    the goldfarmers ruin everything.

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Not so much a fan of warfronts, but I hated Scenarios in WAR so that doesnt really surprise me. Getting rolled by a premade just isnt fun, I perfer the open world PVP where you dont know if the Guardian who just ran on by is going to double back and attack you while you are engaged with a mob.. and that Guardian doesnt know if you are going to chase him down and cook his ass.

Build so far is Justicar on my main role, tanking machine from hell with Shaman and Purifier (might change up the alt souls a bit later)

Second build is Inquisitor for serious Pvp nuking, love the instant crit ability and instant bolts. Believe my secondaries are warden and something else.. still more tweaking needed there.

Last is full druid with the leftovers in Cabalist.. works nicely.. have the pet round up mobs then I hit em with obliterate and my other cab aoe abilities.. lacking heals tho which, as I learned painfully, make surviving pvp a bit of a pain.

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I've had the same problem as marks and ranger in PvP. It just doesn't feel like you're doing anything. Admittedly, I don't really understand PvP in this game and aren't terribly keen on learning seeing how bad Guardians steamroll us on our cluster.

reVerse on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    reVerse wrote: »
    I've had the same problem as marks and ranger in PvP. It just doesn't feel like you're doing anything. Admittedly, I don't really understand PvP in this game and aren't terribly keen on learning seeing how bad Guardians steamroll us on our cluster.

I just don't get it Rev.

I do everything right, I know I am, but nothing works.

NOTHING WORKS! WHY ISN'T IT WORKING?????

:cry:

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    PaperPrittPaperPritt Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I tried going Marksman with my Rogue and it felt like I shot peas at people.
    I generally feel like I do NO damage to anyone and no one does damage to me.
    If it's not at least 3 people attacking me, I won't die. If it's not at least 3 of us attacking one of them, he'll just stand there,laugh and get healed to full.

I've been playing Marksman in Warfront with my 100% PvE build. I was a killing machine in the 10-19 bracket, and so-so in the 20-29 bracket.

You have to pick your target very, very carefully. If someone is being healed, switch. If he's a cleric , switch unless you have Hit & Run ready. Your main kills are going to be mages, rogues, some warriors, and stray clerics.

Barbed shot should be your default attack, Rapid shot your default finisher. Only use deadeye if you are reasonably certain you'll have the time to fire it off.

With the distance enhancing talents, it's actually possible to AoE group of players with Crossfire/Fan Out/Lightning Strike. This is VERY effective at mowing down group of people (specially in the Black Garden when the huddle near the carrier) but it's also kind of suicidal as someone WILL notice you, and kill you. Still worth it, i can usually kill at least 2 people.

PaperPritt on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I'm in the 30-39 bracket and it's like smashing my head against a wall.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    FUCK it. Bought a new graphics card so the game will play above 15 frames.

Yeah, I tolerate a lot more than most people. WoW in a non upgraded machine from '00 on dial up conditioned me to accept shittiness.

Docshifty on
  • Options
    QQsomeMoreQQsomeMore DetroitRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Speaking of PvP, I would love to see a guild world pvp event... not some random drooling horde sprawling out every which way on their mutated turtles. I want to see some sort of bait and switch, a feint, a pincer, a flank. Bait with newbies.. throw some healers in there to keep them up. Kill a few guardians until they are coming out of the woodwork to help defend their e-honour. Then from out of nowhere high-levels sweep in and /lol over dead bodies and we vanish. Then rinse and repeat.

QQsomeMore on
    Eve online : Dr Spazzway
    BF3: Spazzway
    Steam : Paul [Team Bad]
  • Options
    NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    hoodie13 wrote: »
    so. . . about macros.

this. i need an walkthrough for this. i am completely new to all this MMO language and everything and need to knoooooooooow

Don't forget you can assign your numpad and combinations of ctrl and alt to fire off abilities.

I use the following:

1-6 for primary abilities
    alt+1-6 for party stuff/short term buffs
    ctrl+1-6 for AoE/damaging spells with long cooldowns
    Q, E, R for mana regen, spell interrupts, etc
    numpad 1-3 for marks
    numpad 4-9 for other things I don't want to click on

Neurotika on
  • Options
    JakarrdJakarrd In the belly of OklahomaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    so. . . about macros.

Links:
    Modifier syntax: http://telarapedia.com/wiki/Macro
    Commands to use use with macros: http://www.pubarticles.com/article-complete-rift-macro-command-list-1299055433.html <-- this one just gives all the commands that you could use in game so if you want to set some macros up (like setting equip savestates and then make a macro to swap depending on modifier).

Normal syntax for an ability is:
    cast [modifier] [@modifier] spell name

Modifier = Shift, Ctrl, Alt

some @modifier = @mouseover, @focus, @self

Note: One ability per macro error means that if you want to have multiple abilities in a macro you will have to press that button several times to cycle thru all the abilities in your macro. 3 abilities will mean 3 button presses, etc.

For instance:
    cast Winter Heart
    cast Providence

That will start my first mana recovery ability and when that is gone I can then press it again and since WH is on cooldown it will activate Providence, my other mana recovery ability.

Same thing I do for my shields. One press activates a shield. When it dissipates, a second press activates the other shield.

For healing:
    cast @mouseover Healing Invocation

This basically will do a couple of things. First priority: If cursor is over target / frame it will cast HI on it. If no mouseover it will cast like normal, this being if I have a pc as a target cast on it OR if I have a mob targeted it will cast on the target's target.

So in essence what I typically do is keep the main tank on target. Cast HI on party frames if I need a big heal on them else when I cast it will go to my target. the only downside is making sure you don't have something on mouseover by accident when you cast.

Another example:
    cast @mouseover Healing Invocation
    cast [shift] Banish

This will do the heailng like normal. However, I press Shift+button and it will attempt to cast banish. This will only work if a target or target's target is on. You could add @mouseover and then it will cast banish on the target or target's target if they are applicable. You could put a @mouseover on banish as well and it will cast as applicable. If nothing meets the criteria you should see the icon switch to a hand icon at that point which means you need to select a target.

Lets say you are a cabalist:
    cast @mouseover Distorted Shadows
    cast @mouseover Bound Fate
    cast @mouseover Decay

for three button presses you'll do first spell (15 sec CD), then second spell (8 sec CD) then Decay until a spell comes off CD then you'll recast that spell, then back to decay until the next spell(s) is/are off CD, etc.

It's a good way to combine spells with CDs and non CDs so you can be sure you are always casting something when a Cooldown is up.

Lets say you are inquisitor with purifer soul.
    cast [ctrl] @self Shield of Ancestors (30 sec CD)
    cast [ctrl] @mouseover Excommunicate (30 sec CD)
    cast [ctrl] @mouseover Spiritual Deficiency (instant, no CD)
    cast @mouseover Sanction Herectic (15 sec CD)
    cast @mouseover Spirit Rupture (2 sec cast)
    cast @mouseover Bolt of Depravity (3 sec cast)

What this in theory should do is when ctrl is pressed it will shield you, cast Excommunicate (deals damage and knock back), cast SD on mouseover (incrase mag damage by 7% for 1 min). Not sure if you could switch Exc and SD being as SD has no cooldown and is instant cast. Could switch SD to have a [shift] modifier so you could cast [ctrl] spells then [shift] spell.

Then press button by itself to do SH (damage + dot), cast SR (damage + dot) and while it is in mid cast pressing again should queue up BoD (damage). Not sure on this though given the cast time and GCD. If you can have it que'd up after a second has past in casting SR then it should work. I'm still working around macros so I am not quite sure if this is what would happen or if it would just cycle SR up again.

Of course that's a lot to keep track of and I don't think you'd do that but it gives you an idea of what you could set up in a macro depending on how you were wanting to cycle a rotation for either a boss or something.

Supposedly the wait command is still in so I don't know if its still in or works. That would be nice to use in conjunction with various instant casts with no CDs or cycling up several long cast spells. The big one I see with the wait command would be putting all of your buffs on one macro and then starting it when you need to reapply after a death or they run out.

Jakarrd on
    Greetings Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Armada.

76561197990097905.png
  • Options
    programjunkieprogramjunkie Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I am having a hard time enjoying PvP. I seem to be unable to kill anyone no matter what build I go with.
    I guess all I can do is take a Bard role and heal my group, everything else seems completely uneffective.

Guardians are steamrolling us every single game. Farming us at spawn, laughing and taunting us.
    One time someone said he came over to Defiant side cause he was sick of losing as a Guardian.
    We looked at him like he was some kind of monster.

As much as I'm disgusted to say it, try sabo. Their burst helps them kill people in PVP. Throw your charges up, do a small amount of damage, then boom, dead before a healer knows what happened.

It's also worth noting that if you get on the healer, throw as much damage and CC as you can on them, they have to deal with you first before helping others. I have either 0 or 1 AOE heal depending on my spec (my Codex spec is single target healing / DPS, my Garden spec is single and AOE healing), and can only kill you by myself on my Codex spec.

programjunkie on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Ugh, Saboteur...

Had one in the enemy PvP group yesterday. It looked boring and retarded just WATCHING him.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    So in my continuing quest to try out all the Mage souls as fast as possible, I specced to Necromancer!
    2011-03-08_104049.jpg

It's alright I guess. Really easy to solo with, but kinda slow. It's efficient too, so I think I'll stick with it for a while.

MegaMek on
  • Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Necro/warlock is brutally efficient, and handles extra mobs pretty well with the self healing.

Bobble on
  • Options
    programjunkieprogramjunkie Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Ugh, Saboteur...

Had one in the enemy PvP group yesterday. It looked boring and retarded just WATCHING him.

My rogue is like level 8, so only talking about what I've seen personally. I spend half my time looking at health bars though.

programjunkie on
This discussion has been closed.