As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [Android] thread - Phones and tablets in all shapes, sizes and desert flavors

1104105106107108110»

• Options
    DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    Argh why can't there be a CDMA/LTE nexus 4?

Not that I think you really want an answer, but for CDMA, and for LTE. Given the likelihood they are subsidizing the phone for direct unlocked sale, it doesn't surprise me much.

Anyways, I'm in a similar boat. I'd like a Nexus 4 or a Win 8 phone, but am married to Sprint so I got an S3. Wish I had held out til the other line contract had expired as I'd just get a couple Nexus 4's direct and go with Walmart's plans.

• Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    Wait, Walmart has cell plans? Any good?

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    I just got my jellybean update on my galaxy s3, as did my mom, and we're having trouble with autocorrect in text messages

I googled and it seems like some other folks are as well but I'm not sure of a fix. I've gone into language/input and tried everything in there. using the samsung keyboard (swype is my only other option and I'm not a fan)

I don't want to download a separate keyboard and I don't think I should have to but this is confusing. It was fine before the update.

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    Man I downloaded some of those custom widgets apps with the thought that I could make an awesome home screen for my nexus 7, but I am really bad at this

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    mts wrote: »
    Man I downloaded some of those custom widgets apps with the thought that I could make an awesome home screen for my nexus 7, but I am really bad at this

Find a background you really like, then work around it. Fit the widgets into spaces inside or around the image.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    I installed swiftkey and that works so I'll just stick with it. confusing but as long as there is some workaround I will deal.

posting this in case anyone has a similar issue.

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    I love Swiftkey. The amount of text it can predict is ridiculous at times.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    ArcSyn wrote: »

indeed, swiftkey is like magic sometimes

also, like dark magic... type a common word like "The" and keep pressing space. It will spell out a nice little message for you

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの 電車内Registered User regular
    KiTA wrote: »
    Wait, Walmart has cell plans? Any good?

I tried to pick up a cheap one through WalMart, and my experience is that they don't sell SIM cards there so I didn't try them.

Otherwise, I've heard they're cheap and decent, although if Simple Mobile is similar I'd suggest going elsewhere. >.>

工事中
  • Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular

also, like dark magic... type a common word like "The" and keep pressing space. It will spell out a nice little message for you

The GTX 690 ( 2 680s), GTX 590 ( 2 580s), and I think the AMD 6990 ( 2 6970s?) are all 2 chips on one board.

Why is that what pops up when I start a sentence with the?

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Obviously Swiftkey thinks you need to upgrade your graphics card.

• Options
    CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの 電車内Registered User regular
    So, does anyone have any recommended expense tracking apps that are not Mint.com (does not work in Australia)?

工事中
  • Options
    MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    emp123 wrote: »

The GTX 690 ( 2 680s), GTX 590 ( 2 580s), and I think the AMD 6990 ( 2 6970s?) are all 2 chips on one board.

Why is that what pops up when I start a sentence with the?

it knows what you did last summer

MrDelish on
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    yeah... that's a tiny little privacy concern I think. Imagine someone typing "my boss" and it autocompleting to "is a huge cunt"

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    Renegade WolfRenegade Wolf Registered User regular
    I've got a bit of a problem with my Xperia Ray and despite hours of googling I still can't find a solution so I thought I'd see if you guys could help

Had it for about 6 months now and it worked great up until a couple of weeks ago when suddenly the battery life got way shorter, like I used to be able to get close to 3 days if I didn't do anything but sending messages and using some basic apps and even with pretty heavy use it still lasted well over a day.

Recently though it lasts under 20 hours with absolutely no usage, when I leave the phone overnight it loses about 40% charge when previously the use was under 10 for the same time period and even if its turned off it loses charge at a similar rate. The other problem that started around the same time was that whenever the phone turns off from lack of charge or I take out the battery the date resets to 6 January 1980 and the phone seems unable to automatically correct it.

The only thing I can think of that changed before the problems started was that I used a solar powered usb charger for a few days because I was tramping but I have no idea what that could have gone wrong or how I could fix it.

I've tried a full factory reset, upgraded the android software to 4.0.4 and used various battery apps to try to find anything that might be using all my battery with no success.

Its driving me crazy so any help would be great.

• Options
    Ok, enough waffling:

You've made a purchase on Google Play. You will not be charged until your order has shipped.

Delivered in 3-5 business days 1 Nexus 7 (32GB, WiFi + Mobile data, Unlocked + AT&T SIM) $299.00

So, any must haves? :)

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    A second one.

:P

I'd say a case of some sort. Our Timbuk2 sleeve has been fine, of course does not protect when being used.

I posted some of my favorite apps earlier, didn't separate out the phone apps from the tablet but most will work on either. The camera app is a must-have.

• Options
    edited January 2013
    Yeah, grabbing a case at Walmart / Fred Meyer if they aren't too bad. If not "local," then perhaps this:
    http://www.amazon.com/FINTIE-Leather-Google-Android-Options/dp/B008R77ZFG/

With a screen protector on top of that. I really don't care about the "hinge" thing.

This one isn't bad but apparently you have to "pop" it out of the claw part for the hinge, but agian, meh:
    http://www.amazon.com/MoKo-Slim-fit-Google-Android-Tablet/dp/B008FLYROG/

Right now I'm thumbing through the Android SDK stuff, wishing I had kept up on Java in the past decade.

KiTA on
  • Options
    DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    @KiTA this is the Walmart pre-paid service I was talking about. HowardForums wiki on them, although I think that's out of date as you need an unlocked phone that will work on AT&T or Tmobile networks.

• Options
    edited January 2013
    Yeah, that won't work. Your device (Tablet / Phone / etc) has a unique serial number, not unlike a MAC address, and the first few digits of said serial number say if it's a phone or a tablet or what have you. Putting one of those SIMs in a tablet won't work, although a Nexus 4 might be able to take it.

KiTA on
  • Options
    My Nexus 7 3G shipped today. This is gonna be the slowest 2 days in a while.

• Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    KiTA wrote: »
    Yeah, that won't work. Your device (Tablet / Phone / etc) has a unique serial number, not unlike a MAC address, and the first few digits of said serial number say if it's a phone or a tablet or what have you. Putting one of those SIMs in a tablet won't work, although a Nexus 4 might be able to take it.

Just a heads-up, the Nexus 4 takes a micro-SIM, not a regular-sized one. You can cut a normal SIM to fit, if you're careful, or you can pay whatever extortionate fee your carrier charges for a SIM replacement (T-Mo was twenty fucking dollars when I went in to get a new one).

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    There is a new Android thread. Abandon this bloated husk!

• Options
    KainyKainy Pimpin' and righteous Registered User regular
    Dear android thread,

I heard tell when I was setting up my phone that there was a keyboard like swype, only it was very adaptive and, once trained, would even insert spaces without you lifting your finger. I'm not sure if I heard about it here or just while I was digging through the Google Play store, but hot damn if that wouldn't be great.

Anyone know what this is?

IcyLiquid wrote: »
    There's anti-fuckery code in there now :) Sorry :)
  • Options
  • Options
    There's also swiftkey flow beta, which adds the swype-like functionality to not lift your finger at all

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    KainyKainy Pimpin' and righteous Registered User regular
    Erotibot, you are my favorite ME3 multi buddy. Thanks!

IcyLiquid wrote: »
    There's anti-fuckery code in there now :) Sorry :)
  • Options
    MadpandaMadpanda suburbs west of chicagoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2013
    edit: putting in new thread

Madpanda on
    camo_sig2.png
    Steam/PSN/XBL/Minecraft / LoL / - Benevicious | WoW - Duckwood - Rajhek
This discussion has been closed.