As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dogs carrying sticks thread (also [chat])

• Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    jacobkosh wrote: »
    Pony wrote: »
    so nobody will play dragon age legends with me?

shame

I fired up the game this weekend but am still in the tutorial area

pm me your name on the facebooks and we can pal around

at least that's how i think it works?

i don't have any friends on my fakebook i just made, so, i ain't tried to invite a friend to battle to see what happens

if i just import your character and you aren't playing with me that would be hella lame

Pony on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Anti-vaxxers aren't vile. They're just terribly misinformed. Their intentions are good.

So are the intentions of hardcore Jehova's Witnesses who let their children die for lack of blood transfusions.

Only anti-vaxxers are killing other peoples children in addition to their own because of their "good intentions".

Nazis.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Fuck yeah, good post. And now people might read it!

...you know, I might just PM Tube and ask if we can please have a fitness thread again.

TL DR on
  • Options
    PasserbyePasserbye I am much older than you. in Beach CityRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    desc wrote: »
    Passerbye wrote: »
    Anyone else playing Magicka lately?

I have yet to bro op (or sis op as the case may be) that one. I would be interested!

I'm kind of meh at it, but I really enjoy it and I'm fairly certain I can get better with practice. It's mostly that everything is geared to 2+ players that's hindering me, I'm only in chapter 3.

Passerbye on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited March 2011
    Irond Will wrote: »

shame

i am opposed to facebook games

opposed!

it's not like other facebook games

it's just a simplistic turn-based flash RPG

it's not like, farmville with darkspawn, man

and it's multiplayer

all right i will look at it

how do i play?

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    st poopys day

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    SparvySparvy Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Wow, I need to save that fitness post somewhere.

Sparvy on
  • Options
    edited March 2011

shame

i am opposed to facebook games

opposed!

it's not like other facebook games

it's just a simplistic turn-based flash RPG

it's not like, farmville with darkspawn, man

and it's multiplayer

all right i will look at it

how do i play?

do you have a facebook account?

if so

just login and i think just search for Dragon Age Legends?

should take you there

i followed an email to play it, so

Pony on
  • Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Feral wrote: »
    The Nazis had good intentions, man.

The Nazis.

Mussolini got the trains running on time, man.

[tiny]Well, he would have if he hadn't dealt with Italians.[/tiny]

Cinders on
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    dragon age on my facebooks??

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited March 2011
    Feral, maybe you could try like actually conversing with Reimann

I mean

shocking concept time

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Organichu wrote: »
    makin dis thread about adderall

I have the opposite problem, so I take subtracterall.

YamiNoSenshi on
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited March 2011

shame

i don't have any friends on my fakebook i just made, so, i ain't tried to invite a friend to battle to see what happens

if i just import your character and you aren't playing with me that would be hella lame

I think that is actually how it works yo

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited March 2011

...you know, I might just PM Tube and ask if we can please have a fitness thread again.

he'll probably just want people to post in the SE thread instead, since he's an SE uber alles type of guy

but you can try! it's topical and there's no reason it shouldn't be appropriate to D&D

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Honestly, for me, anti-vaxxers straddle that line between merely stupid versus stupid and evil.

Mostly because I cannot understand how somebody can look at the available information and come to the conclusion that arguing against vaccination is the right thing to do.

And if they haven't really looked at much of the available information, I cannot understand how they can come to the conclusion that arguing against stopping diseases based on their limited knowledge is the right thing to do.

The moral calculus just flummoxes me.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Can't believe Nate Dogg really passed. This hits me hard. :(

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011

he'll probably just want people to post in the SE thread instead, since he's an SE uber alles type of guy

but you can try! it's topical and there's no reason it shouldn't be appropriate to D&D

Oh, I was thinking of reviving the H/A thread.

Hmm.

TL DR on
  • Options
    WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Anti-vaxxers aren't vile. They're just terribly misinformed. Their intentions are good.

Their intentions are self-absorbed and arrogant.

You don't know what you're talking about. They genuinely think vaccinations are unhealthy and intend to spread the word. Some of them behave too aggressively about it, but you'll find extremists in any group. They put too much stock in bad information, and like conspiracy theorists -- which is basically what they are -- most of them do possess that "eyes wide open" mentality, which makes arguing with them difficult as they approach this topic from more of a belief standpoint.

What they do is harmful, definitely. What they think they're doing is preventing people from being poisoned. They are delusional, and it can be argued that they find some fulfillment in performing this function, but so do most people who set out to do good.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011

So are the intentions of hardcore Jehova's Witnesses who let their children die for lack of blood transfusions.

Only anti-vaxxers are killing other peoples children in addition to their own because of their "good intentions".

yup

really bad things are happening because of these people

but to their understanding they are doing the right thing

so... I don't call that vile.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    edited March 2011

shame

I think that is actually how it works yo

what really?

gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay

Pony on
  • Options
    edited March 2011

You don't know what you're talking about. They genuinely think vaccinations are unhealthy and intend to spread the word. Some of them behave too aggressively about it, but you'll find extremists in any group. They put too much stock in bad information, and like conspiracy theorists -- which is basically what they are -- most of them do possess that "eyes wide open" mentality, which makes arguing with them difficult as they approach this topic from more of a belief standpoint.

What they do is harmful, definitely. What they think they're doing is preventing people from being poisoned. They are delusional, and it can be argued that they find some fulfillment in performing this function, but so do most people who set out to do good.

I do know what I'm talking about, and jam it with walnuts for saying I don't.

Conspiracy theorists and anti-vaxxers and all of those fucking people are self-absorbed and arrogant at best, and mentally ill at worst.

The only way they are blameless and good intentioned is if there's something mentally wrong with them, like they've got a legit psychological paranoia disorder.

In all other cases, they're ignorant, arrogant people who refuse to fucking learn shit.

I will not budge on this issue, Fluffy, and if you won't either I suggest we stop talking about it, you and I, because you have no idea the level of contempt I have for paranoid conspiracy theorists, anti-vaxxers, truthers, birthers, all those motherfuckers.

Pony on
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011

I have yet to bro op (or sis op as the case may be) that one. I would be interested!

I'm kind of meh at it, but I really enjoy it and I'm fairly certain I can get better with practice. It's mostly that everything is geared to 2+ players that's hindering me, I'm only in chapter 3.

I will play with you, passer!

Deebaser on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    less or more than people who don't like dragon age 2? :P

okay serious question... do you have that level of contempt for everyone who has been educated incorrectly? or is otherwise dumb/stupid/willing to find answers in the wrong places even if they seem right?

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Abstinence-only education proponents believe their intentions are good, too.

They're still a-holes.

Pony on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Variable wrote: »

okay serious question... do you have that level of contempt for everyone who has been educated incorrectly? or is otherwise dumb/stupid/willing to find answers in the wrong places even if they seem right?

Opposite question: do good intentions excuse all harmful behaviors?

Feral on

• Options
    WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Honestly, for me, anti-vaxxers straddle that line between merely stupid versus stupid and evil.

Mostly because I cannot understand how somebody can look at the available information and come to the conclusion that arguing against vaccination is the right thing to do.

And if they haven't really looked at much of the available information, I cannot understand how they can come to the conclusion that arguing against stopping diseases based on their limited knowledge is the right thing to do.

The moral calculus just flummoxes me.

Someone directs them to bad information or they seek it out themselves to confirm suspicions. They follow that information to other sources saying the same thing. These people are generally paranoid to begin with, which is why the anti-vaxxer community is just a hop skip and a jump from your Truthers or what-have-you. They already think the pharmaceutical companies are just out for a buck and are, well, evil. These people view the world through a very negative filter.

Anti-vaxxers are Believers. Information that doesn't affirm their faith is viewed skeptically, and often considered falsified or part of a cover-up.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I believe the government is covering up Roswell and the usage of Element 151 for anti-gravity propulsion device testing, Pony.

Am I an asshole?

Ludious on
  • Options
    edited March 2011

Paranoia about "Them" ("The Man", "The Military-Industrial Complex", "Big Pharma", whatever) and conspiracy theories and blatant distrust of science in favor of bullshit and bad logic sticks in my fucking craw for personal reasons.

It fires me up and makes me not polite.

Pony on
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2010/09/ninth-infant-confirmed-dead-from-whooping-cough-in-state-epidemic.html

9 Infants dead of a completely preventable disease (pertussus, or "whooping cough") in a single year in a single state because of anti-vaxxers.

And these 9 dead infants? They weren't all even the children of these lunatics. They just had the bad fortune to have come in contact with them, however briefly.

In 2010 there were also pertussus outbreaks - with casulties - (which had been completely eliminated in the 1st world thanks to vaccinations prior to the anti-vax nonsense taking hold) in British Columbia, Canada as well as Australia and the UK.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Anti-vaxxers are Believers. Information that doesn't affirm their faith is viewed skeptically, and often considered falsified or part of a cover-up.

That... doesn't really help your position.

Feral on

• Options
    edited March 2011
    Ludious wrote: »
    I believe the government is covering up Roswell and the usage of Element 151 for anti-gravity propulsion device testing, Pony.

Am I an asshole?

do you think that the right response to that belief is to give your children measles?

no?

then i don't care much

your wacky theory ain't hurtin' nobody, so i don't care particularly.

Anti-vaxxers hurt people. They hurt children as a result of their fucking bullshit. No.

I am not okay with that.

Pony on
  • Options
    edited March 2011

Paranoia about "Them" ("The Man", "The Military-Industrial Complex", "Big Pharma", whatever) and conspiracy theories and blatant distrust of science in favor of bullshit and bad logic sticks in my fucking craw for personal reasons.

It fires me up and makes me not polite.

And it's the assholes like Alex Jones who make it hard to talk about a lot of issues without being dismissed as another whackjob.

TL DR on
  • Options
    PasserbyePasserbye I am much older than you. in Beach CityRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Deebaser wrote: »

Ok. I'm zippadeedooda on Steam.

Passerbye on
  • Options
    Premier kakosPremier kakos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2011

It is possible to be vile in ignorance. Not only are they putting their own children in danger, they are putting every child around them in danger with their ignorance. And the results of their ignorance is not that children may get a sniffle or some shit, kids die from the diseases that they are willfully exposing them to because of their ignorance. Anti-vaxxers are pretty damned vile, IMHO.

Premier kakos on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Aw, Passer's steam name is cute

TL DR on
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2011
    hey

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=139026

read my adderall thread

especially read it if you've ever taken adderall

Organichu on
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Deebaser wrote: »

Ok. I'm zippadeedooda on Steam.

I will add you. I am "pseudostar"

Deebaser on
  • Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

Opposite question: do good intentions excuse all harmful behaviors?

The road to hell is paved with good intentions right?

No, I would say good intentions do not, or at least do not when the information showing how wrong your intentions were is readily available and easily interpreted.

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    Niceguy MyeyeNiceguy Myeye Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I haven't had any vaccines since I had my shots for college. I never get a flu one because I figure they're best used by the old and weak and I never get sick anyways.

I suppose I should talk to a doctor about that and at least get another tetanus or something. God, I hate dealing with my health insurance.

Niceguy Myeye on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Aw, Passer's steam name is cute

:oops:

Passerbye on
This discussion has been closed.