As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX PRIME 2011 Information and FAQ (READ THIS FIRST, THEN ASK ALL QUESTIONS HERE)

• Options
    RedsfxcRedsfxc Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I'm new to 40K right now but hopefully by PAX I'll be comfortable enough to do some small point battles.
    If so I'll bring my Tau. Should be fun!

Redsfxc on
    "If you don't stand for something you'll fall for anything"
  • Options
    MattauiMattaui Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I'm always down for some D&D and Shadowrun of just about any flavor, as well as others. :)

Mattaui on
  • Options
    WingedillidanWingedillidan Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    contrefait wrote: »
    Enforcer isn't paid...

Yeah it is! We just get paid in hugs...

Wingedillidan on
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
  • Options
    Kilo147Kilo147 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Enforcer isn't paid...

It is paid. With the experiences and memories that you will never forget.

Kilo147 on
    enforceruserbarprime.png
    PAX '04
    PAX '11

Tango down, Kilo147 out.
  • Options
    AlatheiaAlatheia Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Enforcer isn't paid...

Yeah it is! We just get paid in hugs...

Rela hugs!

Alatheia on
  • Options
    YordheimYordheim Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I applied to be an enforcer this morning. Is there any sort of estimate as to when I would find out if I'm accepted?

Yordheim on
    Vikings > ninjas > pirates
  • Options
    Crunk1311Crunk1311 Registered User new member
    edited May 2011
    I found on my phone an app for pax east, and I was wondering if anyone knew if there is going to be one for pax prime? I hope so, because the one for pax east looked pretty sweet. thanks to anyone who responds to this!

Crunk1311 on
  • Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2011
    Crunk1311 wrote: »
    I found on my phone an app for pax east, and I was wondering if anyone knew if there is going to be one for pax prime? I hope so, because the one for pax east looked pretty sweet. thanks to anyone who responds to this!

There are a few apps, most notably:
    The Conventionist: which is a general convention app available for most smartphone OSes. You can use The Conventionist to download guides to certain conventions, and PAX has had a guide available (usually a few weeks before the show itself) to download through conventionist.
    PAX Assistant: a community-produced PAX app (Android only I think at the moment). It gets updated near the show to be either ready for PRIME or EAST.

zerzhul on
  • Options
    whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Yordheim wrote: »
    I applied to be an enforcer this morning. Is there any sort of estimate as to when I would find out if I'm accepted?

No one's been accepted yet, and I'm guessing no one will until after the golf tourney.

/me waits for a thousands "OMG, I'm an Enforcer now!!!" posts to show up tomorrow morning just to spite me

whypick1 on
    Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • Options
    ExcaliburExcalibur Registered User new member
    edited May 2011
    A quick question about the badges for this year PAX. I paid for the international shipping, seeing as I live in Canada, and the transaction went through (so to say I did purchase them before they ran out), will they arrive here in my mail? Or will I have to pick them up at the Will Call center. I just want to be clear so I can start booking a hotel soon

Excalibur on
  • Options
    JediknightkarlJediknightkarl Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    They shall be mailed to you via FedEx. had you not chosen that option you would have had to pick them up at will call.

Jediknightkarl on
    damn...bit my tongue....i hate that.
  • Options
    ExcaliburExcalibur Registered User new member
    edited May 2011
    They shall be mailed to you via FedEx. had you not chosen that option you would have had to pick them up at will call.

Excellent, thank you for the quick reply ^^

Excalibur on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    OMG I WAS AN ENFORCER!

in '04. It was awesome. Still got the shirt.

Kilo147 on
    enforceruserbarprime.png
    PAX '04
    PAX '11

Tango down, Kilo147 out.
  • Options
    YordheimYordheim Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Enforcer isn't paid...

I've paid several in Bawls.

Yordheim on
    Vikings > ninjas > pirates
  • Options
    heelsheels Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Kilo147 wrote: »
    OMG I WAS AN ENFORCER!

As was I sir!

I was the black one.

heels on
    < devious1> heels: you are worst idea person ever

http://twitter.com/h_e_e_l_s

www.reedpop.com
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    heels wrote: »
    OMG I WAS AN ENFORCER!

As was I sir!

I was the black one.

I was the guy that slept under a table in the Serpent Theatre equivalent. The Speed Run video showed there. I also chased down the guy that stole the (PS2? Xbox?) into the parking lot, only giving up to avoid getting ran over.

Kilo147 on
    enforceruserbarprime.png
    PAX '04
    PAX '11

Tango down, Kilo147 out.
  • Options
    heelsheels Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

I was the guy that slept under a table in the Serpent Theatre equivalent. The Speed Run video showed there. I also chased down the guy that stole the (PS2? Xbox?) into the parking lot, only giving up to avoid getting ran over.

Ah, the great banner hunt of 2004, I remember it well...

heels on
    < devious1> heels: you are worst idea person ever

http://twitter.com/h_e_e_l_s

www.reedpop.com
  • Options
    SmallLadySmallLady Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    SmallLady wrote: »
    So here it is, the big new FAQ Thread. If you guys still have suggestions for things to put in here, please post them. If you're just somebody with a question to ask, please ask it here.

*Note: and yes, we mean any sort of question, especially if it's not covered by the FAQ. Please do NOT make a new thread to ask your question, just post it here. I promise it will be answered promptly.

Updated for clarity.

SmallLady on
    "we're just doing what smalllady told us to do" - @Heels
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Part of me misses the small generally unknown PAX. That first year it had wonder and excitement that the modern ones lack. It was new, it was in Bellevue, and I had no idea what in the hell I was doing despite being on premises for 3 days straight.

Now I get a schedule and plan every minute including travel time. Oh, how things change.

Kilo147 on
    enforceruserbarprime.png
    PAX '04
    PAX '11

Tango down, Kilo147 out.
  • Options
    DaftCapybaraDaftCapybara Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Alright, this is gonna be a longish one

My friends and I are traveling from Nebraska for this,

I have a question to ask of the seattle natives and or the people who know seattle

Does Public transit run after 2 am and is it "safe", for a group of ten people to travel together on it at that time.

A note to add to the description of "safe" I am 6'1 and weigh 240lbs, one of my friends is about the same build, and a third friend always carries a decent sized pocket knife, will we be able to travel past and or intimidate any wannabe muggers on the way back to our lodging?

I am not trying to be a tough guy but want to know how I will need to act on the way home, cautious paranoid or insane?

DaftCapybara on
    Pax Prime Badges [X]
    Pax Prime Hotel [X]
    Pax Prime Flight []
  • Options
    DreamwriterDreamwriter Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Seattle's perfectly safe, that's not an issue. I lived just a couple blocks from the Convention Center for two years, used to walk around downtown Seattle after midnight all the time (generally after movies or Gameworks), never worried about safety.

But public transit's stops running between 12:00 and 2:00 am, depending on where you are going (a couple run to 3 am, but only a couple). The train between the airport and downtown Seattle does its last run around midnight from the airport to downtown, around 12:30 from downtown to the airport.

Dreamwriter on
  • Options
    DaftCapybaraDaftCapybara Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Crap, I am probably going to have to get a rental car then, just to be sure we can get to and from the hotel

We are a half hour public transit ride from the Convention center. So I would rather not make it a three hour hike to and from

DaftCapybara on
    Pax Prime Badges [X]
    Pax Prime Hotel [X]
    Pax Prime Flight []
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    You could call a taxi - they run 24/7. They cost $2.50, plus $2.50 per mile.

Dreamwriter on
  • Options
    hanssolonhanssolon Registered User new member
    edited May 2011
    Hiya,

I'm a big video game fan and might attend next year, but I don't know what PAX to go to for a good time to visit for a goodish vibe to go to.

hanssolon on
  • Options
    pillarofdawnpillarofdawn Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    wut? Yea if you like games why not go to the convention devoted to them.... PRIME is the way to go imo. Still kinda confused about the question from this "silly goose"

pillarofdawn on
    I'm Commander Shepard, and this is my favorite thread on the forums.
  • Options
    NullzoneNullzone Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Honestly, the experience translates well no matter which you go to; Mike and Jerry's assessment that "We managed to package this thing up and ship it wholesale to the east coast" is 100% accurate.

Prime does seem to take more of a focus on the vidjagames, so take that into consideration. But East has that awesome retro game museum too so it's hard to say one way or another...

Nullzone on
  • Options
    WingedillidanWingedillidan Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Well if you don't have a PAX Prime badge for 2011, you either will have to hunt for one, go to East 2012, or wait about 1 year and 3 months for the next Prime. It's a great show overall, but it's becoming harder and harder to get into every year!

Wingedillidan on
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
  • Options
    oPlaiDoPlaiD Registered User new member
    edited May 2011
    Sadly, Pax Prime conflicts with the MLG (Major League Gaming) tournament in Raleigh, so most of the pro level Starcraft 2 players will be there instead of Seattle.

That said, a tournament would still be a lot of fun :p

oPlaiD on
  • Options
    SilvertwinnSilvertwinn Going on 40. "Get off my lawn!"Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

I have a question to ask of the seattle natives and or the people who know seattle

Does Public transit run after 2 am and is it "safe", for a group of ten people to travel together on it at that time.

A note to add to the description of "safe" I am 6'1 and weigh 240lbs, one of my friends is about the same build, and a third friend always carries a decent sized pocket knife, will we be able to travel past and or intimidate any wannabe muggers on the way back to our lodging?

I am not trying to be a tough guy but want to know how I will need to act on the way home, cautious paranoid or insane?

Dude, can we get you and your friends to walk around with us? :P
    Yes, that would totally help as a mugging deterrant.

And thank you to Dreamwriter for helping to calm my paranoia.

Silvertwinn on
  • Options
    GeekyPrincessGeekyPrincess Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

*snip*

Seattle is one of those cities that seems to stop moving at 11pm with the exception of a few select areas. For buses and public transportation check King County Metro and Sound Transit, they both have trip planners that can help you figure it out.

I spend a lot of time in downtown and rarely feel unsafe. Just keep your head up, be aware of your surroundings, and don't panic! Being in a large group is going to help, but PAX people tend to walk together and it's a big group anyway!

GeekyPrincess on
    Cookie Brigade Prime 2011 and 2012!
    Shipping cookies for Prime 2013
  • Options
    Steel FireSteel Fire Gunboat Diplomat PAI MarketingRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Last year I walked from one place to another around the general convention center area by myself after midnight and in all honesty I was more wary of some of the PAXers that almost seemed to be living outside the front of the WSCTC than the local bums snorting coke next to the sidewalk.

Steel Fire on
  • Options
    WormdundeeWormdundee Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

I walked around for miles at about 2-3am alone while drunk off my ass and I had nary a problem. Not that I would recommend doing that.

But Seattle is not a scary city in the least.

Wormdundee on
  • Options
    SmallLadySmallLady Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

Are there iphone/android apps for pax?

Yes!
    The Conventionist is a iphone/android app that gets gets updated shortly before PAX
    PAX Assistant was an android app for last PAX East. It had many great reviews, but as it's made by somebody in the PAX community, I'm not sure if one will be made for PAX Prime 2011

Updated!

SmallLady on
    "we're just doing what smalllady told us to do" - @Heels
  • Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2011
    Are there iphone/android apps for pax?
    Yes!
    The Conventionist is a iphone/android app that gets gets updated shortly before PAX
    PAX Assistant was an android app for last PAX East. It had many great reviews, but as it's made by somebody in the PAX community, I'm not sure if one will be made for PAX Prime 2011
    Updated!

I think that PAX Assistant was originally made for Prime 2010, then updated to reflect East 2011. As you say, it's community made so it may or may not be updated for Prime 2011. Last I heard, however, was that it would be updated for Prime 2011, especially due to the large number of users and downloads.

Edit: I've emailed the author about his plans for Prime 2011, hopefully I'll get something that I can post as an update.

zerzhul on
  • Options
    KayotoTFCKayotoTFC Registered User new member
    edited May 2011
    Ty SmallLady for the suggestion to put notification on the People with PAX Passes for Face Value (ONLY) thread. I haven't been to Prime since 2009 so I was hoping to make it this year. I'm glad PAX is not only going strong, but that the demand for the passes has really increased! Hope to snake a pair for me and my friend to come this year.

KayotoTFC on
  • Options
    Matt TreckMatt Treck Registered User new member
    edited May 2011
    Right, so this will be my first year at PAX, and unfortunately, I was to late to get a 3-Day pass. So I picked up a Sunday pass because it was the only one that was not sold out.

My question is, is Sunday just as awesome? I know that there are no concerts and most of the larger game companies will do there shows on Fri or Sat, but is it still as awesome?

I'm assuming the gaming booths are there all 3 days.

Thanks

Also i'm flying out from NC to go to PAX.

Also getting a tour of Valve the Monday after.

Matt Treck on
  • Options
    MaxNVMaxNV Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Matt Treck wrote: »
    Right, so this will be my first year at PAX, and unfortunately, I was to late to get a 3-Day pass. So I picked up a Sunday pass because it was the only one that was not sold out.

My question is, is Sunday just as awesome? I know that there are no concerts and most of the larger game companies will do there shows on Fri or Sat, but is it still as awesome?

Thanks

Also i'm flying out from NC to go to PAX.

Also getting a tour of Valve the Monday after.

Sundays are usually fine, I mean it is PAX. The only thing is that by Sunday a lot of the people (well at least me) with 3 days badges are exhausted. The last few years I've just slept in for a bit on Sunday morning. So yeah, Sunday is fine but just don't expect the sheer amount of energy you'd get on Friday or Saturday. Also Sunday is probably the least busy day so the lines in the Expo Hall are not quite as bad (but they still exist).

MaxNV on
  • Options
    Curse-TenCurse-Ten Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Wormdundee wrote: »

I walked around for miles at about 2-3am alone while drunk off my ass and I had nary a problem. Not that I would recommend doing that.

I'm a young female college student living in Seattle. I've ridden the tansit alone from Sakuracon in full costume at midnight without any problems. If you have a group there should nothing to worry about though busses are quite expensive depending on how many you need to take to get back to your hotel (2.25 for a person over 18).

Stay out of the International District after dark (it's the last stop in the bus tunnel) that tends to be the only place where problems are but besides the large Asian market right outside the bus tunnel there's not much else going on in there and most of the hotels are in the downtown convention area anyways.

Most of the main busses run after midnight, I know the 70's do. However you have to pay for the bus tunnel after a certain time, I forgot.

All in all as said before Seattle is a pretty safe city.

Curse-Ten on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Matt Treck wrote: »

Sunday's great - you get to see the final round of the Omegathon, which is the round that gets the most attention. And as was mentioned, there are less people there that day, so crowds aren't as bad. The exhibition hall is open all 3 days, no exhibitor leaves early, and there are panels and everything on Sunday.

Dreamwriter on
  • Options
    AnorornAnororn Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Curse-Ten wrote: »
    Wormdundee wrote: »

I'm a young female college student living in Seattle. I've ridden the tansit alone from Sakuracon in full costume at midnight without any problems. If you have a group there should nothing to worry about though busses are quite expensive depending on how many you need to take to get back to your hotel (2.25 for a person over 18).

Stay out of the International District after dark (it's the last stop in the bus tunnel) that tends to be the only place where problems are but besides the large Asian market right outside the bus tunnel there's not much else going on in there and most of the hotels are in the downtown convention area anyways.

Most of the main busses run after midnight, I know the 70's do. However you have to pay for the bus tunnel after a certain time, I forgot.

All in all as said before Seattle is a pretty safe city.

Yeah, the International District gets a little sketchier after dark, but if you go to Uwajimaya (that's the big Asian grocery store across the street from the tunnel entrance) or turn right towards the stadiums and the Amtrak station, you'll be fine.

Also, Downtown (including all the stops in the bus tunnel) is the ride-free zone for buses until 7pm. The rule of thumb is if the bus is leaving downtown and it's before 7, pay as you leave. Otherwise, pay as you get on. (There are also signs on the fare boxes that say when to pay). More info on bus things (time tables, route maps, trip planner, etc.) can be found at the main Metro site.

Anororn on
This discussion has been closed.