Options

Nintendo 3DS Thread: New Thread for 3DS Discussion

• Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Isn't Cherry Blossom next weekend? My friend is performing there..

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    grim123grim123 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Dracil wrote: »
    Productive day!

Going to the Cherry Blossom Festival was the right choice, got 30-40 streetpasses there. Then at the SF meetup, met 3 other people there, flagged down a guy who'd *just* bought a new 3DS and we showed him the ropes, then went into Gamestop and got some more tags and talked a lot with one of the guys. I even got a tag from a guy in Japan. I think he saw the group of us so stood around to get his streetpass.

I'm now one of the Streetpass SF admins and we're planning some big thing in the next few months, hopefully around the same time the update and more games hits and Nintendo starts drumming up the ads.

Streetpass SF?!? why was I not informed rats I was around a gamestop today too was it the one on powell?

grim123 on
    Aww nutsack.
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CrewMember169CrewMember169 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I was supposed to go to Washington, DC the week after next. I thought I would get a bunch of Streetpasses walking around the Smithsonian etc.

Probably won't go now because I doubt the budget thing will be worked out by Thursday (my last day to cancel the trip and get money back). Stupid government.

CrewMember169 on
  • Options
    honestDhonestD Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    grim123 wrote: »
    Productive day!

Going to the Cherry Blossom Festival was the right choice, got 30-40 streetpasses there. Then at the SF meetup, met 3 other people there, flagged down a guy who'd *just* bought a new 3DS and we showed him the ropes, then went into Gamestop and got some more tags and talked a lot with one of the guys. I even got a tag from a guy in Japan. I think he saw the group of us so stood around to get his streetpass.

I'm now one of the Streetpass SF admins and we're planning some big thing in the next few months, hopefully around the same time the update and more games hits and Nintendo starts drumming up the ads.

Streetpass SF?!? why was I not informed rats I was around a gamestop today too was it the one on powell?

@Dracil and Grim123,

You guys are in Vancouver? I've got a group for DS folk that meet up every friday, and quite a few of us have 3DSs... It's good to tag the same people over and over, because your "Find Mii" levels are equal to the number of times you've encountered one another. So, me and my friend are level four for each others game, but strangers are level one.

Also, street fighter is sooo good with local play. No lag!

off-topic, we do have a strong pokemon community as well as the DS multiplayer "classics" Tetris, MarioKart, Picross, Mario Party, etc... Hit the link in my sig to check it out, or go to meetup.com...

honestD on
    In Vancouver? Want to meet up and play some Games?
    http://www.meetup.com/Vancouver-Gamers-Group/

Now with Twitter! @HonestoDoragon

Pokemon Black: 4555 9510 3686
  • Options
    MarioGMarioG Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    What hell guys I want to start a local DS community!

MarioG on
    Kay wrote:
    Mario, if Slenderman had a face, I would punch him in it.

Hey, I have a blog! (Actually being updated again!)

3DS: 0860-3240-2604
  • Options
    DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Productive day!

Yeah, it was on Powell. We were there from around 7:30-9. We were in Union Square from around 6:30-7:30. And I was at the festival from 11:45-6. We have a facebook group, just search for Streetpass SF.

Re: honestD - nope, nowhere near Vancouver

Re: Rami - Cherry Blossom Festival is both weekends. I'll definitely be there again next Sunday for the parade for pics. I might visit again tomorrow (maybe not, pretty busy), or next Saturday as well.

Also, for everyone in general: http://streetpassnetwork.com/

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • Options
    SightTDWSightTDW Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Streetpass groups are just an amazing idea. I'm already checking out the LA group. Now to just pick up that 3DS already.

SightTDW on
    Live - SightTDW | PSN - SightTDW | Nintendo Network - Wildschwein | 3DS - 1934-0834-9797
    Steam - Wildschwein | The Backlog
    Grappling Hook Showdown - Tumblr
  • Options
    ChopperDaveChopperDave Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Damn, I didn't realize that these groups existed! Apparently I just missed the inaugural DC meet up yesterday. Too bad! Guess I'll have to wait for the next meetup to fill out my Mii Plaza.

ChopperDave on
    3DS code: 3007-8077-4055
  • Options
    WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    So idiot question:

Just got a 3DS as a gift and I am trying to configure it for my home wireless. However it does not look like it supports | (pipe) as a character. Am I missing something obvious?

WingedWeasel on
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    So idiot question:

Just got a 3DS as a gift and I am trying to configure it for my home wireless. However it does not look like it supports | (pipe) as a character. Am I missing something obvious?

It doesn't support some characters on that keyboard, you'll have to change it to get it to work with the 3DS.

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    The 3DS supports weird characters fine, but you can't type them in.

If it's in your SSID and you're not broadcasting it, just set it to broadcast long enough for your 3DS to find it and save the settings, and it'll work. Or, if your router supports AOSS or WPS you can use those to connect without typing anything in.

mntorankusu on
  • Options
    Sangheili91Sangheili91 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Can anyone explain stunt rings in Pilotwings to me? How do they work?

Sangheili91 on
  • Options
    Two Headed BoyTwo Headed Boy Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Can anyone explain stunt rings in Pilotwings to me? How do they work?

You go through them. If the Mii in them is spinning clockwise, double-tap R to spin clockwise as you go through them. If it's stationary but sideways, hold L or R to fly sideways through it. If the Mii is upside-down, hold both L and R to turn upside-down.

Two Headed Boy on
    4hNKbHH.png
    Twitter 3DS: 0860 - 3257 - 2516
  • Options
    Mostlyjoe13Mostlyjoe13 Evil, Evil, Jump for joy! Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Streetpass groups are fine and all for places like LA and DC. But I think I'm out on a limb here in Florida. Too far for easy acces to O-town or Miami. So oh well. Any ideas?

Mostlyjoe13 on
    PSN ID - Mostlyjoe Steam ID -TheNotoriusRNG
  • Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Has anyone here bought a clear protective case for their 3DS? I'm interested in getting one if there are any available that are thin enough that the system can still fit in the charging cradle. There's quite a bit of wiggle room in the cradle so it might be possible, but I dunno.

It'd even be nice if it were a tight fit, because it would make playing with the system in the cradle easier if it didn't wiggle.

Invisible Shield has a fullbody protective case for the3DS. The person who told me about it hasn't gotten his in the mail yet though so I couldn't tell you how it interacts with the charger though.

Opty on
  • Options
    Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    FINALLY got my first Streetpass.

From a dude who works for Nintendo and does demos around town.

Blah.

Descendant X on
    Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I was so pissed last night. I went to a party and not only got 2 street passes, but I also got 2 SF fights. Then I opened up my 3DS to see how I did in the SF fights only to my horror see that the game had not saved my figure settings and my level 1 default figures fought and got the floor fucking mopped with them, even though I had set up a nice roster earlier that day.

frankgrimes.gif

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    langfor6langfor6 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I was so pissed last night. I went to a party and not only got 2 street passes, but I also got 2 SF fights. Then I opened up my 3DS to see how I did in the SF fights only to my horror see that the game had not saved my figure settings and my level 1 default figures fought and got the floor fucking mopped with them, even though I had set up a nice roster earlier that day.

The same thing happened to me with my first fight. Once you make changes to your team you have to activate it if you want to fight in the streets.

I grabbed a bunch of those level 7 figures from the codes floating around the internet and set two of them as my anchor. It leaves me with six points between the other three slots. I'll probably change it at some point.

langfor6 on
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    langfor6 wrote: »

The same thing happened to me with my first fight. Once you make changes to your team you have to activate it if you want to fight in the streets.

I grabbed a bunch of those level 7 figures from the codes floating around the internet and set two of them as my anchor. It leaves me with six points between the other three slots. I'll probably change it at some point.

How many codes are floating around besides the Ryu that they automatically send you and the Blanka on the Capcom site? Also any tips on setting up a good roster?

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    MatthewMatthew Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Well, got a Nyko power battery yesterday, and was all set to put it in. So I unscrewed two of the screws in the back of my 3ds, but sadly, it seemed like the other two like where they are and refuse to even budge. They are now so mauled that it is impossible to get them out now. How's that sound?

Matthew on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011

How many codes are floating around besides the Ryu that they automatically send you and the Blanka on the Capcom site? Also any tips on setting up a good roster?

... they sent me a Blanka, but no Ryu.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Matthew wrote: »
    Well, got a Nyko power battery yesterday, and was all set to put it in. So I unscrewed two of the screws in the back of my 3ds, but sadly, it seemed like the other two like where they are and refuse to even budge. They are now so mauled that it is impossible to get them out now. How's that sound?

Not to seem inflammatory, but it sounds like you were either using a utensil not designed to remove smaller frearson screws, or are terribly unfamiliar with using tools. How bad did you strip them? It's possible that a properly sized screwdriver could still remove them.

Two Headed Boy on
    4hNKbHH.png
  • Options
    MatthewMatthew Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

Not to seem inflammatory, but it sounds like you were either using a utensil not designed to remove smaller frearson screws, or are terribly unfamiliar with using tools. How bad did you strip them? It's possible that a properly sized screwdriver could still remove them.

I was using the tool that came with the package. They aren't stripped too badly, and I will try again, but ot's still frustrating.

Matthew on
  • Options
    ZerokkuZerokku Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Shadowfire wrote: »

... they sent me a Blanka, but no Ryu.

He has it backwards. Blanka was sent, Ryu was off the website.

Zerokku on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I was using the tool that came with the package. They aren't stripped too badly, and I will try again, but ot's still frustrating.

Hm, I didn't realize it came with a tool. Just apply a good bit of downward pressure and make sure you're as perpendicular as possible with the screw face. Good luck.

Two Headed Boy on
    4hNKbHH.png
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

From GameFAQs:
    Golden Blanka Figurine	DmdkeRvbxc
    Golden Chun-Li Figurine	zAAkcHVbHk
    Golden E. Honda Figurine	uUDsTlmbUN
    Golden Guile Figurine	qeJkznDbKE
    Golden Ryu Figurine	KjckTnSbwK
    Golden Vega Figurine	CgIsQNWbHu
    Golden Zangief Figurine	hinsVnebTu
    Platinum Level 7 Ryu	DPrkMnybCd
    Silver Akuma Figurine	RYSsPxSbTh
    Silver Balrog Figurine	PqUswOobWG
    Silver Chun-Li Figurine	tLWkWvrblz
    Silver Cody Figurine	naMkEQgbQG
    Silver Dan Figurine	rDRkkSIbqS
    Silver Ibuki Figurine	ilMsRBabpB
    Silver Juri Figurine	OfQkARpbJR
    Silver Ken Figurine	NyosHgybuW
    Silver Makoto Figurine	GHakWCTbsl
    Silver Rose Figurine	GKkkXXtbSe
    Silver Sakura Figurine	uzTsXzIbKn
    Special Akuma Figurine	uQHkWgYbJC
    Unlock Silver Lv. 5 Dhalsim	JKbsOVHbVC

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    143999143999 Tellin' ya not askin' ya, not pleadin' with yaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Opty wrote: »
    Has anyone here bought a clear protective case for their 3DS? I'm interested in getting one if there are any available that are thin enough that the system can still fit in the charging cradle. There's quite a bit of wiggle room in the cradle so it might be possible, but I dunno.

It'd even be nice if it were a tight fit, because it would make playing with the system in the cradle easier if it didn't wiggle.

Invisible Shield has a fullbody protective case for the3DS. The person who told me about it hasn't gotten his in the mail yet though so I couldn't tell you how it interacts with the charger though.

Unless you're looking for the "easy install" version, Best Skins Ever has the same thing for ten dollars less.

143999 on
    8aVThp6.png
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Just got Ridge Racer. Never been huge into racers, but I always enjoy arcade style racing, so this is my first RR game. Why RR as my third game after SSF4 and PilotWings? Well, I considered Ghost Recon, but I'm not really a strategy fan, and I really wanted something fast paced that showed off the 3D a lot.

And Ridge Racer is it. It's really fast paced and easy to get into, and the 3D is wonderful. I love how much depth these courses have, and how you can really see how far away cars in front of you are. It's quite awesome to watch.

That said, most people complain that its graphics aren't very good. I don't really get that. They're not outstanding like SSFIV but I don't think they're bad. I think they're pretty decent and the 3D effect looks great, and it has a solid framerate.

I'm enjoying it quite a bit so far, so I'm happy with it.

slash000 on
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Huh, originally I raised an eyebrow to the placement of the headphone jack, but it actually makes it easier to plug mine in, unlike the Lite. Good show.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    slash000 wrote: »
    Just got Ridge Racer. Never been huge into racers, but I always enjoy arcade style racing, so this is my first RR game. Why RR as my third game after SSF4 and PilotWings? Well, I considered Ghost Recon, but I'm not really a strategy fan, and I really wanted something fast paced that showed off the 3D a lot.

And Ridge Racer is it. It's really fast paced and easy to get into, and the 3D is wonderful. I love how much depth these courses have, and how you can really see how far away cars in front of you are. It's quite awesome to watch.

That said, most people complain that its graphics aren't very good. I don't really get that. They're not outstanding like SSFIV but I don't think they're bad. I think they're pretty decent and the 3D effect looks great, and it has a solid framerate.

I'm enjoying it quite a bit so far, so I'm happy with it.

Most the complaints that I've heard were that the graphics were fairly meh, not bad just meh, and that it is a port of a 2 year old iPhone game that you can get for a few bucks on the iPhone for 40 bucks on the 3DS. Just like Rayman.

The_Spaniard on
  • Options
    mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Asphalt is the iPhone port, not Ridge Racer. Asphalt also sucks (in any form), while Ridge Racer doesn't.

mntorankusu on
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Most the complaints that I've heard were that the graphics were fairly meh, not bad just meh, and that it is a port of a 2 year old iPhone game that you can get for a few bucks on the iPhone for 40 bucks on the 3DS. Just like Rayman.

You know, I dug into that a little bit. I think a good number of assets and the design is from the iPhone version. As I understand it, the app is $5 or something, and most of the content is paid-for DLC from the in-game shop. I just figure, hey, if I get all that content plus the extra cars/tracks they supposedly added to this one, plus good controls / 3D effects, it about balances out.

edit: plus the iPhone version controls like shit. Even after they patched it.

edit: watched some iPhone gameplay - I'm pretty sure a lot of the assets in the 3DS version are the same. Cars and tracks that are shared between the two appear to be identical. I guess the question then, is, a) did they add anything beyond the total purchaseable content of the iphone version or is it the same game, and b) if you bought all the DLC of the iphone version, I wonder if you end up paying less or about the same as the $40 3ds game.

Oh well, not gonna worry about it, just gonna go enjoy the game.

slash000 on
  • Options
    langfor6langfor6 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

I was beaten to the list, but as far as setting up a good roster...I don't know.

You get five slots, and the sum of the levels of those five characters cannot exceed 20. I have two level 7 characters in my four and five slot, and then my other three are 1, 2, 3, in that order. There's probably an optimal setup, but I haven't thought about it too much to be honest.

langfor6 on
  • Options
    AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I've got two level 7s, one with 50% defence and the rest spread over speed and attack. The other has a bit of a buff to defence, at the cost of speed and attack, but not that severe. I haven't fought anyone in streetpass yet, so I wanted to have those two to see how those tactics would work.
    I got pretty lucky on my low-level characters too: I have two level one characters with over 100 attack and around 50 health, which is more than most of my mid-level characters.

AnteCantelope on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Asphalt is the iPhone port, not Ridge Racer. Asphalt also sucks (in any form), while Ridge Racer doesn't.

Both are ports.

The_Spaniard on
  • Options
    dabichodabicho Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

From GameFAQs:
    Golden Blanka Figurine	DmdkeRvbxc
    Golden Chun-Li Figurine	zAAkcHVbHk
    Golden E. Honda Figurine	uUDsTlmbUN
    Golden Guile Figurine	qeJkznDbKE
    Golden Ryu Figurine	KjckTnSbwK
    Golden Vega Figurine	CgIsQNWbHu
    Golden Zangief Figurine	hinsVnebTu
    Platinum Level 7 Ryu	DPrkMnybCd
    Silver Akuma Figurine	RYSsPxSbTh
    Silver Balrog Figurine	PqUswOobWG
    Silver Chun-Li Figurine	tLWkWvrblz
    Silver Cody Figurine	naMkEQgbQG
    Silver Dan Figurine	rDRkkSIbqS
    Silver Ibuki Figurine	ilMsRBabpB
    Silver Juri Figurine	OfQkARpbJR
    Silver Ken Figurine	NyosHgybuW
    Silver Makoto Figurine	GHakWCTbsl
    Silver Rose Figurine	GKkkXXtbSe
    Silver Sakura Figurine	uzTsXzIbKn
    Special Akuma Figurine	uQHkWgYbJC
    Unlock Silver Lv. 5 Dhalsim	JKbsOVHbVC

Please correct me if I am wrong, but
    I did not get a Silver Balrog, but a Golden M. Bison
    I did not get a Golden Vega, but a Silver Vega
    Also, what is the difference between Silver a Platinum? They look the same to me, and Honda looks more like bronze.

dabicho on
    wii code: 7010-3939-4467-0035
    Xbox 360: LovedWheel60
    3ds: 3609-1043-0230
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Shrug. It's a list straight from GameFAQs, I make no attempt to differentiate between platinum or silver, it's just what the list says.

Also anything that says Balrog/Bison/Vega on the internet is not to be trusted, since those names are switched around in the Japanese versions and some people are purists who insist on using the "real" name, while others try to be all-encompassing and say things like "boxer" or "dictator."

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    GaebrilGaebril Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    in other news the ridge has left a permanent scratch on the right side of my screen protector but it could be because I'm always trying to rub away the mark it leaves
    2011-04-09234812.jpg

How common is this screen-ridge problem? Is it an inherent design problem with all 3DS units, or more like a production QA problem that only affects a few units? I really want to get a 3DS, but if this issue is common I might wait for a fix.

Gaebril on
  • Options
    V FactionV Faction Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    First time I heard "Dictator", "Boxer", and "Claw", it caught me off guard. That's awfully politically correct. And I heard it from the fighting community of all places. Even when watching/commenting on a Japanese version of SF, like AE, I still use the English names (with the original names in big flashing english letters on the screen).

V Faction on
    Nintendo Network ID: V-Faction | XBL: V Faction | Steam | 3DS: 3136 - 6603 - 1330
    Pokemon White Friend Code: 0046-2121-0723/White 2 Friend Code: 0519-5126-2990
    "Did ya hear the one about the mussel that wanted to purchase Valve? Seems like the bivalve had a juicy offer on the table but the company flat-out refused and decided to immediately clam up!"
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Gaebril wrote: »
    in other news the ridge has left a permanent scratch on the right side of my screen protector but it could be because I'm always trying to rub away the mark it leaves
    2011-04-09234812.jpg

How common is this screen-ridge problem? Is it an inherent design problem with all 3DS units, or more like a production QA problem that only affects a few units? I really want to get a 3DS, but if this issue is common I might wait for a fix.

As long as you don't somehow manage to make your screen thicker, you'll probably be fine.

jothki on