As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mass Effect: Blue Öyster Cult was wrong.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    On a serious note, the fact that the lead game designer was asking about ideas for class powers has me thinking that classes will have more than one personal skill this time around.

That would be pretty awesome, though I can't imagine anything more fantastic than Biotic Charge.

Everytime I re-read articles on ME3 its just hypes me up that much more... Like if Mass Effect 3 was a woman, she'd be super hot. And it would be like in the movies where everything's perfect and we kiss all the time and caress eachother's cheeks. But then something terrible happens and she's taken from me, spawning a sweaty muscle bound adventure to get her back involving gun fights, boat chases and laser beams. Starring Eric Roberts.
    I had like... a whole pot of coffee this morning

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    It's okay, have two vicodin and a huff of this and you'll be fine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5ns3lSWPs8

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Something I caught on Christrina Norman's twitter...I'm guessing they had a survey or something.
    I agree with the "smarter enemies" part. Smarter enemies that make better use of cover and try to flank me, don't try to make enemies tougher by adding more HP or two more layers of shields for me to shoot through. Force me to think harder and use my teammates effectively to beat them. ME2 did a good job of this.

Fairchild on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Honestly. Yeah. I just think enemies should flank better.

I know a lot of people always complained about how you could sit in one piece of cover and shoot all day.

I never really noticed that because I'm always moving around anyway, but if enemies actively tried to flush you out...and they had more moves that could move you out of cover, I think that would go a long way.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    The fights with Husks in ME2 are particularly challenging because the Collectors will use suppressing fire to keep the Good Guys pinned down while the Husks move danger close. Some of the DLC fights are tougher because the mooks have Flashbang grenades to knock Shepard out of cover, and the Shadow Broker's guards will try to get around your flank.

Fairchild on
  • Options
    DrunkMcDrunkMc Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Just started my 3rd run of Mass Effect 2. Going soldier this time. Holy shit, do I feel powerful as hell. Slowing down time with the sniper rifle just seems like cheating! Loving it though!

DrunkMc on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I know the big fight in Arrival was somewhat hard because the guys with the flamethrowers pushed right at you while everyone else laid down suppressing fire. So it was either, try to take out the flamethrower guy as quickly as possible or try to take out enough of the other people so you could run before the pyro got to you.

That being said...there were some parts of the stage you could abuse but it was pretty good step in the right direction.

I think that's what Bioware means about having a better mix of "enemy types" in ME3. Basically having different types that syngerize well together to make situations tougher.

Also...I think enemies should have more sniper types. A return of the Geth Sniper or an equivalent would be awesome.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Oh no, not the Geth Sniper. Those little creeps were the bane of ME1 because they would tend to get stuck in the level geometry and become untargetable, especially in the Noveria garage. Can't tell you how many times I had to re-start that fight and be sure to kill them first before they ruined my game progress.

Fairchild on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    On the plus side if you hit them on the ceiling hard enough with biotics they'd hang there like pinatas.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    Dox the PIDox the PI Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    huh

I always thought that Infiltrators and Vanguards had it out for each other

Maybe it's just Vanguards and everybody

Dox the PI on
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I am this close to giving up on the fucking Claymore

it's completely fucking useless without the reload trick and trying to play a rhythm game while I'm getting shot at is fucking distracting

and god forbid I end up charging in between the obnoxiously long lag before you can reload (even with the trick), because then you come out of it stuck with the full reload time, in all its glory

like 40% of the time I go to shoot the thing and find out I'm running empty again

Elendil on
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Dox the PI wrote: »
    huh

Vanguard is the Robot House of Mass Effect.

chiasaur11 on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    chiasaur11 wrote: »
    huh

Vanguard is the Robot House of Mass Effect.

I am okay with this

Dox the PI on
  • Options
    DarisDaris Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I can't understand people asking for enemies to try and flank them and get smarter AI. The enemy already attacks you from several different directions, covers each other, and gives support to advancing close range fighters. I don't see giving enemies more damage and shielding as being a cop out for challenge. Mass Effect 2 had an enjoyable combat situation, and raising the difficulty makes it harder in that the player has to be better and less reckless.

Which sits well with me. What I would like to see in ME3 is even more enemy variety. Having a couple different enemy types across different enemy groups makes for a large number of enemy types, but not much variety. I would welcome the return of snipers to the battlefield, even if they could punish me as a player.

Daris on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Elendil wrote: »
    I am this close to giving up on the fucking Claymore

it's completely fucking useless without the reload trick and trying to play a rhythm game while I'm getting shot at is fucking distracting

and god forbid I end up charging in between the obnoxiously long lag before you can reload (even with the trick), because then you come out of it stuck with the full reload time, in all its glory

like 40% of the time I go to shoot the thing and find out I'm running empty again

If you have the Kasumi DLC there is 0 reason to use anything other than the locust, that thing is a thing of fucking beauty.

Hell the only collector ship weapon I found useful at all is the assault rifle upgrade, with adrenaline rush that thing is a fucking beauty of death and destruction.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Daris wrote: »
    I can't understand people asking for enemies to try and flank them and get smarter AI. The enemy already attacks you from several different directions, covers each other, and gives support to advancing close range fighters. I don't see giving enemies more damage and shielding as being a cop out for challenge. Mass Effect 2 had an enjoyable combat situation, and raising the difficulty makes it harder in that the player has to be better and less reckless.

Which sits well with me. What I would like to see in ME3 is even more enemy variety. Having a couple different enemy types across different enemy groups makes for a large number of enemy types, but not much variety. I would welcome the return of snipers to the battlefield, even if they could punish me as a player.

Obviously you are a little girl. Real men play on Insanity until their eyeballs fall out and they crush their video cards in rage.
    Or you could just play on normal like me and have fun.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I think better AI should be something every game goes for. Its not saying they toss out what they built, just tweak it and give more enemy variety.

Because god damn marathoning ME 2 shows how little enemy variety there is in the whole game.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

Infiltrator Insanity. A one act play.

-> Pop out from behind cover and hit a guy with the widow.

--> Duck back to recover.

-> Run out of sniper shots, and have to clean up what's remaining with smg/pistol.

Leitner on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    And that's why I couldn't play on the higher difficulties. Bumping it up to hardcore for Tali's recruitment is angering enough. I actually like using my other weapons and abilities, without being pigeonholed into using the cheapest ones.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    On sentinel, adept, and engineer I kind of like to tone it down a bit so I can go hog wild with power usage. Combat classes aren't missing much on hardcore and insanity though.

Elendil on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    On sentinel, adept, and engineer I kind of like to tone it down a bit so I can go hog wild with power usage. Combat classes aren't missing much on hardcore and insanity though.

I dunno on normal I can swap to my heavy pistol just for some fun one shot head shot kills, I figure I wouldn't have that same fun on the higher difficulties where I'd have to use my best guns.

Different strokes of course, I play ME for the lesbians.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I never got the impression there was much actual coordination going on so much as complementary abilities. Incidental cover fire because there's seven dudes and three of them happen to be in their "advance" behavior while the other four happen to be in "cower behind cover" mode and popping up and down to fire means they'll occasionally be firing while someone is advancing - a more reliably-demonstrated show when there are more enemies, like Object Rho. If ME3 has larger areas, enemies actually willing to go away from you to come around to another side unseen would be awesome.

Also, when you guys wonder if these people exist, think of this.
    @truffle Is ME3 even out, or are you talking beta testing? I find Casual on ME2 to be a little hard, I'm only a very basic gamer.
    I'm all for everyone, regardless of skill, being able to experience their favorite games, even if it requires an "enemies commit seppuku" difficulty.

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I'd love for areas to be big again, at least visually. That's one of the more jarring aspects of going from ME 1 to ME 2, is that you feel like you're moving from corridor to corridor in 2, even when you're exploring a quest hub.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Preacher wrote: »

I dunno on normal I can swap to my heavy pistol just for some fun one shot head shot kills, I figure I wouldn't have that same fun on the higher difficulties where I'd have to use my best guns.

Different strokes of course, I play ME for the lesbians.
    You're definitely not gimping yourself using heavy pistols, trust me. I probably use them a majority of the time for non-soldier classes. Precision headshots are great no matter the difficulty.

Elendil on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    One of my favorite moments this last play through was charging around inside the Collector ship with the Phalanx like a real space cowboy.

With critical and 50% damage I was one shotting Harbinger with his barrier down.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

Snipers?

Hope not.

It's not particularly fun to spend all your time being shot by guys you can't see.

Admittedly, some games it works.

But Mass Effect isn't really one of them. Switching to slow moving rockets was the right call.

chiasaur11 on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Preacher wrote: »
    I'd love for areas to be big again, at least visually. That's one of the more jarring aspects of going from ME 1 to ME 2, is that you feel like you're moving from corridor to corridor in 2, even when you're exploring a quest hub.

Problem is, even ME1 was brushing up against the ridiculously low console RAM ceiling, and any engine improvements take away more of the RAM. If anything, I expect levels to be smaller, (and the textures to somehow get worse) since it's being developed for the PS3 too

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I really wish they just wouldn't give a fuck about this "gotta have ME3 out b4 chistmas111" deadline, give it another 3-5 months, and have it be the perfect game it should end this note on. ME2 was an awesome game, but lots and lots of small details felt really rushed.

Panda4You on
  • Options
    Gaming-FreakGaming-Freak Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Just read Game Informer's "Mass Effect 3" article. Holy shit, Kaidan gets a bitching armor. Good thing I spared him and not the racist incompetent soldier.

EDIT:
    It also states that the Illusive Man is hiring soldiers to hunt down Shepard. I bet people who sided with him in ME2 will feel really, really dumb about their decision now.

EDIT2: Shit, Ashley looks better in this game, too. Damn.

Gaming-Freak on
    jagobannerpic.jpg
    XBL: GamingFreak5514
    PSN: GamingFreak1234
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Actually, it was part of the plan.

See, I kept the base for myself.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Some Character Artwork for ME3:
    Ashley:
    Ashley_Williams_in_Mass_Effect_3.jpg

Kaidan:
    l-kaidan.png

Can't find a good one of Liara or Anderson (Anderson looks TOTALLY different, but they mentioned several characters returning, provided they survived, and one possible recruit, named James Sanders. His last name being pretty interesting.

Anyway, I'm hoping they actually and a pre-choice system for console players this time (instead of adding one late for PS3 players), so I don't have to play through 2 games again just to get an ideal save for ME3. I'm not saying the first 2 games are bad, I'm just saying it would be a hassle.

Gaming-Freak on
    jagobannerpic.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Plenty of time between now and November/December...

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    But for what I'm thinking would require at least 3 runs through each game. That's a whole lot of shit to cover, and I'd probably be sick of it before then. Not to mention way too many games coming out between now and then that I want to play. Free time would be tight.

Gaming-Freak on
    jagobannerpic.jpg
  • Options
    Torso BoyTorso Boy Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Free time is tight. Because you can use it to play Mass Effect.

Torso Boy on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I would probably be playing ME2 right now if I wasn't reading one of the most amazing books I've ever read right now, and it isn't Mass Effect related.

Gaming-Freak on
    jagobannerpic.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I would probably be playing ME2 right now if I wasn't reading one of the most amazing books I've ever read right now, and it isn't Mass Effect related.

What book?

chiasaur11 on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Dox the PI on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    chiasaur11 wrote: »

What book?

"The Name of the Wind" By Patrick Rothfuss.

But yeah, it'll be a while before I get back to Mass Effect. At least a few weeks, considering I'll be buying the sequel soon.

Gaming-Freak on
    jagobannerpic.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    oh god they could not have picked a more tantalizing ME3 line to play half of

Elendil on