As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Capcom's [Dragon's Dogma] - POST IN NEW THREAD

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    So whats the deal if I grab the current list and add everyone on psn am I gonna come off like a creepy stalker or what.
    I have some spare time was gonna do it now.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    AchireAchire Isn't life disappointing? Yes, it is. Registered User regular
    Skyrim's combat has always been pathetic.

Not having any faith in bethesda's ability to make interesting melee combat is the main reason I am rarely interested in any of their games. If I do play them I make a wizard so I don't have to think about it.

It doesn't help that prior to finding out about or playing any elder's scrolls game I had already played Dark Messiah. Even with all of its bugs it is far ahead of elder scrolls.

I added my info to the list.

You know Bethesda owns the developer that made Dark Messiah of Might and Magic, Arkane Studios (check out Dishonored). And they still can't get the combat right. That said, I wish the combat in Dragon's Dogma was more like Demon's Souls. But I guess you can't really get a representative sample of the combat in a 15 minute demo.

Added myself to the list on 360.

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I went back through it multiple times and there is definitely a tactical use for every move. There are more individual moves for your character than there is in demon souls, for example.

I had great fun when I found the explosive barrels littered around one of the areas. I carted one right up to the chimera fight. I was afraid it would vanish in the cutscene but it was lying on the ground afterwards. :)

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Added my Gamertag to the list. I'll possibly send some invites later this week.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    Achire wrote: »
    Skyrim's combat has always been pathetic.

Not having any faith in bethesda's ability to make interesting melee combat is the main reason I am rarely interested in any of their games. If I do play them I make a wizard so I don't have to think about it.

It doesn't help that prior to finding out about or playing any elder's scrolls game I had already played Dark Messiah. Even with all of its bugs it is far ahead of elder scrolls.

I added my info to the list.

You know Bethesda owns the developer that made Dark Messiah of Might and Magic, Arkane Studios (check out Dishonored). And they still can't get the combat right. That said, I wish the combat in Dragon's Dogma was more like Demon's Souls. But I guess you can't really get a representative sample of the combat in a 15 minute demo.

Added myself to the list on 360.
    All of Zenimax's purchases happened far enough into Skyrim's development that it's not really fair to criticize them for not leveraging Arkane's combat design or id tech or whatever.

Now, the next Elder Scrolls game better goddamn well have better combat and a better engine. And Shinji Mikami, I guess. He's somehow in the Zenimax family.
    It won't have any of those things.
    I'll still play it.

• Options
    edited May 2012
    @Gaming-Freak the psn name you put down must have a typo cos it doesn't exist.

Everybody else worked.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    Gaming-FreakGaming-Freak Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    @Gaming-Freak the psn name you put down must have a typo cos it doesn't exist.

Everybody else worked.

By golly, you're right. I forgot to add the "34" at the end!

Oh well, my PSN ID is in my profile, and I'm getting the game for the 360, anyway.

Gaming-Freak on
    jagobannerpic.jpg
    XBL: GamingFreak5514
    PSN: GamingFreak1234
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Played the Prologue solo a couple times. Man, that shit is hard.

Also, man. Not having greens and blues and purples and other non-natural hair colors kills all ideas to model characters/pawns off of people.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    LouieLouie Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Yes vagrant, because most people have green or pink hair? Saw you were
    Plqyibg this on psn earlier and was hoping you were enjoying.

I think making parodies of recognisable people will be the best way to get your pawn hired out. That and actually giving a decent skill set of course. The zangief pawn was incredible.

Louie on
    camo_sig.png
    Twitter - discolouie PSN - Loupa Steam - Loupa
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Also, man. Not having greens and blues and purples and other non-natural hair colors kills all ideas to model characters/pawns off of people.

You must know some colourful characters.
    I regret nothing!

Morninglord on
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Well yeah. Vidya game and visual novel characters. Like Type-Moon/Fate characters, Ar tonelico characters, Legend of Dragoon characters, etc.

• Options
    edited May 2012
    yeah, but considering the rough medieval look they all have going on i think sticking anime hair colours on them would just make them look like cosplayers. :P

i can see why they didn't

Morninglord on
  • Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    I still don't know what direction to take my pawn.

For the demo, I made a female of average height/weight, red haired, moderately attractive by conventional means and named her Ruby, with the moniker Ruby. For full release, she was going to be full-on Archer, but I found archery to be weak in the demo and knowing gamers, they're usually about min-maxing, so once the "best build" gets figured out you can expect everyone to follow suite and only take pawns that specialize that way.

I can always edit my pawn to take advantage of that, or just ignore the FOTM movement; my indecisiveness is mainly about the appearance. Do I stick with semi-hot female, or try to create a cartoon/popular show character resemblance?

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited May 2012

For the demo, I made a female of average height/weight, red haired, moderately attractive by conventional means and named her Ruby, with the moniker Ruby. For full release, she was going to be full-on Archer, but I found archery to be weak in the demo and knowing gamers, they're usually about min-maxing, so once the "best build" gets figured out you can expect everyone to follow suite and only take pawns that specialize that way.

I can always edit my pawn to take advantage of that, or just ignore the FOTM movement; my indecisiveness is mainly about the appearance. Do I stick with semi-hot female, or try to create a cartoon/popular show character resemblance?

I'd stick with the Strider/Ranger IMO. I though it pretty good, considering how many times I shot the griffin out of the sky... and really, archery is only half the class; the other is being the best at climbing onto monsters and stabbing it in it's weak spots. In fact, the whole class is about hiting monsters in thier weak points, either at range or melee, and the AI for the Strider in the demo seemed smart enough to do either one whenever aplicable.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options

The demo doesn't give you an Archer main. If gives you short bows, which are a secondary weapon Striders and Assassins can equip. the main-archers in this game are the Rangers (longbows) who hit from father away and do more damage and Magic Archers who seem to be more about the aoe/lock-on and number of tricks up their sleeve (and spells as well).

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    So...I was wondering.

You can only make one pawn correct?

So what happens when you rent out a pawn then start your game up. Like can you not play with a pawn you're currently renting out or something?

• Options
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    So...I was wondering.

You can only make one pawn correct?

So what happens when you rent out a pawn then start your game up. Like can you not play with a pawn you're currently renting out or something?

That's not how it goes. Whenever you stop by an inn, there's a chance your main pawn has just come back from new adventures with a different player (even if he/she has been with you the whole time) and potentially has new knowledge of various quests, enemies, and treasure.

Basically, your pawn stays with you, but he/she can still be rented out and used by other people.

jagobannerpic.jpg
  • Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular

The demo doesn't give you an Archer main. If gives you short bows, which are a secondary weapon Striders and Assassins can equip. the main-archers in this game are the Rangers (longbows) who hit from father away and do more damage and Magic Archers who seem to be more about the aoe/lock-on and number of tricks up their sleeve (and spells as well).

And I would make my pawn a Magic Archer, if they could be. Since they're stuck only taking the straight advanced class of the base classes, that means Fighter, Archer or Sorcerer. I'm planning my main as a Sorcerer, possibly Magic Knight - need to see how each works out. If I stick my main as a Sorcerer, having two seems like overkill.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    Inker2000Inker2000 Registered User regular
    whats the point of adding gamertags/psn ids to a list? the game is not co-op, correct? can you specifically request to play with certain peoples' pawns?

• Options
    edited May 2012
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Inker2000 wrote: »
    whats the point of adding gamertags/psn ids to a list? the game is not co-op, correct? can you specifically request to play with certain peoples' pawns?
    Yup. You can also filter on Friend's pawns.

In fact, if you look at the OXM Pawn video listed in the OP, not only can you search by Friends and IDs, but level, class/vocation, ratings, skills, previous pawns you've summoned, your personal favorites list, and pawns your main pawn has met when it was borrowed out to other people, and there looked to be 2-3 more search criterias that the guy never looked at.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RubycatRubycat Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I figure my pawn needs to be able to compliment my need for the main character to have a big sword to sluggishly heft around.

Strange enough, I never played the demo.. I wanted to go in knowing nothing past the trailers I've watched.

Rubycat on
    steam_sig.png
    PSN: Rubycat3 / NintentdoID: Rubycat
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    I was pretty meh about the pawn system but after watching the youtube video for it, it seems pretty cool.

Hope my pawn does well though it doesn't really stand out in any amazing way.

• Options
    edited May 2012
    I'm finding the closer it gets to launch, the more I'm going back to the demo and remaking/refining my Character and Pawn again and again and again, as some new idea or whim hits me. Thankfuly, I've been writing down the numbers and slider positions of the characters I've liked before changing them, so if I wake up one morning and decide that the last character was better, I can switch it back and start from there again.

Right now, I'm pretty sure I got my main character where I want, but the Pawn? no longer looks like Olivia Wilde... well, she still kinda does in the face, but instead of being a slim, fair-skinned woman with auburn hair and blue eyes, it is now lavender eyes, light brown/sandy blonde hair, and a body that is best decribed as "Bronzed Amazon."

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Eh

Part of the fun of a new RPG is to sit in the character creator for the first ~30 mins making your character. I absorbed what I felt was "enough" of the demo, and then deleted it. I'll agonize over making my character/pawn perfect next week :P

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    Eh

Part of the fun of a new RPG is to sit in the character creator for the first ~30 mins making your character. I absorbed what I felt was "enough" of the demo, and then deleted it. I'll agonize over making my character/pawn perfect next week :P

The character you made in the demo can be transferred to the full game. You could be in agony for a whole week if you wanted to. :P

Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Foefaller wrote: »
    I'm finding the closer it gets to launch, the more I'm going back to the demo and remaking/refining my Character and Pawn again and again and again, as some new idea or whim hits me.
    I have more or less been doing this since the demo came out.

Her skin should be darker. How dark can I make it so that it both looks decent with her hair color and looks decent with her facial features? That dark. That's not very dark. Whatever, good enough. I don't like my dude's eyes. They look too Asiany when they should look Middle Easterny. Why did I do that? Because I'm dumb is why. Much better. That guy looks like he is going to cut a bitch. You know, I wonder if I can play around with my pawn's torsos and legs and make her a little more hourglass without changing her height or weight at all. Yeah, totally. Now she looks like every other woman in every other video game. Looked way more interesting before when she was kind of lithe. Rolling back. I should mess with her face. Her profile has a lot of personality, but the front of her face looks generically cute. That needs to change. I NEED FINER CONTROL OVER EYE SPACING THAN YOU ARE GIVING ME, DEMO. WHY DO YOU HATE ME, CAPCOM? Why does my dude look so potbellied? He weighs nothing. But all these other torsos make him look super chesty. I don't want chesty. I want sinewy. That one looks alright. His arms look like giant monkey arms, though. Definitely need to be thinner. Except one of the thin arms is weird and long and the other is anorexic. I guess the next one up from those will have to do. Actually, he needs to be shorter. He should be like 5'5. Where is he now? 5'7? Okay, like one notch to the left. Now he's like 5'1. And kind of dwarfish. Goddammit. And the next notch over is like 4'6 and looks like a nine year old. Whatever. 5'7 is fine. Maybe my pawn should be a little taller? I need variety. She doesn't look good tall, though. The face wants to be on a shorter girl. Alright, bump the head size over a notch and she looks alright at 5'9. Sure. She can be 5'9 and he can be 5'7. It's fine. It's fine.

...I don't like my dude's eyes.

I have a problem.

Monger on
  • Options
    Yeah. I've been fiddling around with my character in anticipation for next week too.

I'm pretty have with how my female pawn turned out and I finally made my MC look a little less like a Japanese dude with really dark skin.

That being said yeah. His posture really annoys me and I can't find one I like but meh...he'll be in armor most of the time anyway.

• Options
    edited May 2012
    Monger wrote: »
    I'm finding the closer it gets to launch, the more I'm going back to the demo and remaking/refining my Character and Pawn again and again and again, as some new idea or whim hits me.

Her skin should be darker. How dark can I make it so that it both looks decent with her hair color and looks decent with her facial features? That dark. That's not very dark. Whatever, good enough. I don't like my dude's eyes. They look too Asiany when they should look Middle Easterny. Why did I do that? Because I'm dumb is why. Much better. That guy looks like he is going to cut a bitch. You know, I wonder if I can play around with my pawn's torsos and legs and make her a little more hourglass without-

-changing her height or weight at all. Yeah, totally. Now she looks like every other woman in every other video game-

>_<
    -Looked way more interesting before when she was kind of lithe.

D:
    Rolling back.

GAAAAHHHH!!!
    I have a problem.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Now you guys got me wanting to make changes to my people again...

• Options
    So, my copy of GI magazine came in today and they gave the game an 8.5.

From what I read of game they praise the gameplay a lot saying that while in other open world games gameplay feels like an after thought, this game puts a lot of thought into it.

Really, the only complaint I saw about the game was that the story is pretty barebones but most of the article was them talking about how awesome the gameplay is.

• Options

Her skin should be darker. How dark can I make it so that it both looks decent with her hair color and looks decent with her facial features? That dark. That's not very dark. Whatever, good enough. I don't like my dude's eyes. They look too Asiany when they should look Middle Easterny. Why did I do that? Because I'm dumb is why. Much better. That guy looks like he is going to cut a bitch. You know, I wonder if I can play around with my pawn's torsos and legs and make her a little more hourglass without-

-changing her height or weight at all. Yeah, totally. Now she looks like every other woman in every other video game-

>_<

D:
    Rolling back.

GAAAAHHHH!!!
    I have a problem.
    My pawn will look goddamn unique and you will goddamn like it.

Now I'm going to go make her even taller and leaner, like a Kenyan Olympic sprinter, just to spite you.

• Options
    edited May 2012

>_<

D:
    Rolling back.

GAAAAHHHH!!!
    I have a problem.
    My pawn will look goddamn unique and you will goddamn like it.

Now I'm going to go make her even taller and leaner, like a Kenyan Olympic sprinter, just to spite you.

Oh, I've already been through *that* phase (which my character, accually), now all my pawn's missing is green skin, tennis shoes, and a purple-and-white one-piece; It just now doesn't look like she's wearing a corset under her skin anymore.

...and no, she is not going to be a Warrior, she's going to be a Ranger!... or maybe a Mage, just to mess with everyone.

EDIT: I guess I should have put a *goes back to character creator* at the end, so you would have known :p

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I honestly wish you could make more than one pawn and just choose which one you want to import when the game comes out.

Main reason I don't try to mess around too much with the one I have other than changing stuff here and there.

• Options
    edited May 2012
    I honestly wish you could make more than one pawn and just choose which one you want to import when the game comes out.

Main reason I don't try to mess around too much with the one I have other than changing stuff here and there.

You could always write down the choices you had before you changed, i.e. Face shape 44, eyes 6 with the sliders all in the middle, etc.

Also, if you decide you don't like what you've made, you can hit B/Circle at the opening menu to end without changing anything (though it won't show it untill you open the Character Edit back up again).

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular

From what I read of game they praise the gameplay a lot saying that while in other open world games gameplay feels like an after thought, this game puts a lot of thought into it.

Really, the only complaint I saw about the game was that the story is pretty barebones but most of the article was them talking about how awesome the gameplay is.

It's the DMC guys. Story is generally an after thought to gameplay but what story is there tends to be hilarious/look awesome so I'll cope.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular

Y'know, I kinda prefer seeing a review give something an 8.5, really, than anything higher than that. Something really has to be properly appraised to get an 8.5, or 85%, or whatever, because the reviewer wouldn't give something they hated that kind of review, and they wouldn't give something they liked a little bit too much that kind of review. 8.5 shows a sense of earned approval tempered with fair criticisms.

Finally got an HD, which now makes the demo actually possible to play. It is, frankly, shocking how much improved my entire PS3 collection looks.

• Options
    I'm imagining they kind of went down on the story because it's easily foreshadowed by the action and free exploration, much like what you find in any Elder Scrolls game, really.

jagobannerpic.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    EDIT: I guess I should have put a *goes back to character creator* at the end, so you would have known :p
    Irregardless! You have been spote!

Monger on
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Irregardless! You have been spote!

I really didn't want to check Urban Dictionary to know all the definintions of "spote" and I sure as hell don't want to know which one you meant D:

Anyway, your Kenyan Olympic Sprinter comment sent me back to the editor *again* as it inspired me to make my pawn a little less She-Hulk. She's still pretty tall (6'3", though she was at the soft cap of 6'8") but now a lot leaner, just over 60lbs lighter than what she was before, all without an hourglass figure.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I was going to say 'spited,' but 'spote' sounded more amusing as an incorrect past tense.

Given this new light, I feel good about the decision.

This discussion has been closed.