As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The TV Thread: More for Less

• Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    X900H update supposed to be rolling out now; gives it HDMI 2.1 but not VRR for some reason I guess?

Also it's now like 400$ off and while that kinda makes me salty I definitely enjoyed having it for the last two months and that takes the pain away a bit I guess.

Still love the TV, stopped noticing the somewhat dimmer corners that initially bothered me, which is nice. Finally have an entertainment console (read: sideways bookshelf my partner gave me, but works and honestly looks real nice). Setup bias lighting strips behind it and got the kit to safely run the cabling in-wall. Still need to wall mount the sonos bar - its optical cable is the only visible wire and while it's super tiny it needs to disappear.

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    X900H update supposed to be rolling out now; gives it HDMI 2.1 but not VRR for some reason I guess?

Also it's now like 400$ off and while that kinda makes me salty I definitely enjoyed having it for the last two months and that takes the pain away a bit I guess.

Still love the TV, stopped noticing the somewhat dimmer corners that initially bothered me, which is nice. Finally have an entertainment console (read: sideways bookshelf my partner gave me, but works and honestly looks real nice). Setup bias lighting strips behind it and got the kit to safely run the cabling in-wall. Still need to wall mount the sonos bar - its optical cable is the only visible wire and while it's super tiny it needs to disappear.

A little strip of this should hide the wire well. And it's vinyl so you can even paint it the same color as the wall and it will suck the paint right up. But really, unless you have the Sonos Arc, you should be able to get the soundbar close enough to the TV that you can't see the wires.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    I have a LG C7 OLED and I noticed last night that it supports 120hz. However in Windows I don't see anything above 60hz listed? I have a blue jeans cable, so it should be quality. Nothing in the manual I can find that says it's specific ports. I have it set at 1080p.

Any thoughts on why that option is missing? I see folks online having issue with HDR and 120hz but I have HDR off.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    You are going to be able to have a HDMI cable that supports 48Gb rate. It will need to be directly connected to the TV and you may need change some input settings in your TV settings to get it to work.

I don't have LG but did have to do similar things to get my Samsung to report all the 120hz options(at 1440p) in Windows properly.

Incindium on
    steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
  • Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    I did it through the Nvidia control panel, not the Windows display centre.

But yeah cables can be finicky also. I was using an older HDMI cable and it wouldn't work. Sometimes if you have HDR enabled as well it kind of screws with it. I had to disable HDR then enable 120hz and then turn HDR back on.

• Options
    edited October 2020
    This is the cable I have: Link Seems like it should be ok, seems like the 48gb rate cables are for 4K@120hz. But maybe it can't hurt.

In the Nvidia control center it's only saying 60hz as well. I tried a custom resolution of 1080p, which game me an 'input not supported' message. It's really weird, I tried HDMI 2, not any better. I made sure there was no firmware update.

EDIT: Grabbed a monoprice 8K 48Gbps cable for $15. We'll see next week if that helps.

Trajan45 on
  • Options
    Looking into it for LG you may need set the input you are using as PC and enable hdmi deep color in the TV settings.

Also you may have to scroll down in the list in Nvidia control panel to the PC section and try the 3820x2160 resolution there?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »

A little strip of this should hide the wire well. And it's vinyl so you can even paint it the same color as the wall and it will suck the paint right up. But really, unless you have the Sonos Arc, you should be able to get the soundbar close enough to the TV that you can't see the wires.

Yeah I bought a wall mount for the play bar, just haven't gotten around to hanging it yet. Will conceal everything once that's up.

I didn't realize what a difference putting up bias lighting LED strips would have on the look. Love it so much, especially since everything ties into google home. Feels like living in the actual future.

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Oh make sure you are in Game mode on the Tv and don't use the TV's HDR mode, it really messed mine up and adds so much input lag.

That is odd though, my C8 supports the same as your tv so I wouldn't think it was an issue. Maybe try the various HDMI inputs as well?

I didn't have to create a custom resolution either, it just showed up as an option in the refresh drop down of the NCP when I changed the resolution to 1080p.

I did have to actually apply the 1080 resolution before the 120hz showed up in the drop down though.

Dixon on
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    What's the latest on figuring out what size to get for your room vs distance from the TV? I'm seeing some conflicting things.

:so_raven:
  • Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    My general idea is to get whatever feels right for your room and size/quality tradeoffs. These days I tend to err towards a larger TV vs a "better" one, but different people have different opinions on that.

• Options
    Yeah, it depends a lot on the space in the room and on the wall. You don't want something to totally dominate the room, but you also want to maximize your available space. It's a hard balance and everyone has to make that call individually.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Corvus wrote: »
    What's the latest on figuring out what size to get for your room vs distance from the TV? I'm seeing some conflicting things.

Those charts are about as scientifically "provable" as the "This is the highest resolution you can see at any given distance." You're much better off considering how big a piece of furniture you're comfortable with, alongside the television that it is presumably replacing. Once you go to 65", even in a small apartment, it's hard to go back (thankfully, technology rather than size has more influence on cost nowadays), but that might not be the right size of you, especially if you're not managing something like a coffee table or specific ergonomics.

• Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Corvus wrote: »

Those charts are about as scientifically "provable" as the "This is the highest resolution you can see at any given distance." You're much better off considering how big a piece of furniture you're comfortable with, alongside the television that it is presumably replacing. Once you go to 65", even in a small apartment, it's hard to go back (thankfully, technology rather than size has more influence on cost nowadays), but that might not be the right size of you, especially if you're not managing something like a coffee table or specific ergonomics.

Yeah, I think we're going with a 65. We have a house, and this is going above a fireplace. The fireplace mantle will be about 60 inches wide, and a 65 inch TV is around 57 inches width, so it will be proportionate. Couch is about 9 ft 10 from the fireplace.

:so_raven:
  • Options
    Just get some painters tape. Then mock up different sizes and see if any of them are too big that you need to move your head to see. That's what I ended up doing and found that 75" was just too big for our space and the 65" was perfect.

• Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    So I've just given up on getting a new video card for CYBERPUNK2077 and instead am throwing that towards a new TV. Just got a TCL and I'm pretty sure it's going to be a major upgrade over the SKYWORTH I have been using for the past year and a half (a SOOPER budget TV which will, I guess, serve as a bedroom TV now). Was going to go for the 65 inch, but that felt a bit too big for my space so kept it at 55 inches.

. . .actually it looks like my old television was 49 inches (which explains why the box felt so much heavier) so this is a big upgrade in size and performance, though it's going to take me another week or so to get these picture settings where I want them.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    I had never heard of Skyworth before but apparently they're pushing big into the US this year with 8k and oled sets. Huh.

• Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    I had never heard of Skyworth before but apparently they're pushing big into the US this year with 8k and oled sets. Huh.

I feel like it was a good 4K starter TV that was dirt cheap, but I wouldn't bother for 8K unless someone only cared about resolution. I learned to love the TV but it definitely was priced accurately relative to it's features.

I will say with the TCL I'm struggling to figure out what I should be seeing. . . at least in a Windows environment. PS4Pro could definitely tell the difference in game but RDR2 on PC doesn't look great (duplicated the monitor with the old TV and the game feels really bad, at least in this game).

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    hmmm so it seems this is just not a good year to buy an LCD tv? Watching the Rtings review, the Q80T seems to be in just about every way a downgrade from last years Q80R. Vizio's seem to have a sketchy history with quality, Sony's only TV with VRR (promised, not today) has terrible viewing angles and HDR brightness, and HiSense/TCL have no VRR support (also no idea about quality).

• Options
    https://www.youtube.com/c/StoptheFOMO

This guy has a lot of good videos talking about the various TV models this year and the pros and cons and issues.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    I'm looking for a device to stream twitch to a smart TV, is there any difference between a 3rd generation chromcast and the ultra? Is the ultra even worth it if I'm only really looking to stream twitch?

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    Is there a reason you want to use a Chromecast for it? I generally just don't like them anyway, the whole driving my TV with my phone thing always drove me nuts.

• Options
    Is there a reason you want to use a Chromecast for it? I generally just don't like them anyway, the whole driving my TV with my phone thing always drove me nuts.

Only thing that came to mind to get twitch on the smart tv. Looks like the tv doesn't have an option for a twitch app on it.

What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

• Options
    Oh huh, I thought roku had a twitch app but I guess that went away. There is one for fire tv devices this, so a cheap fire stick would so the job.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Any thoughts on fuckoff large TV's for gaming/general support? I'm reworking part of my basement to make space for VR (again) and general usage, so would like to mount a big TV on the back wall without spending an arm and a leg (cue looking through the window in the rain at OLEDs) - looks like the X900H is the best bet if not going OLED?
    Would also prefer optimizing for no spyware etc. if possible (backup plan is just not giving it wifi access)

• Options
    edited November 2020
    schuss wrote: »
    Any thoughts on fuckoff large TV's for gaming/general support? I'm reworking part of my basement to make space for VR (again) and general usage, so would like to mount a big TV on the back wall without spending an arm and a leg (cue looking through the window in the rain at OLEDs) - looks like the X900H is the best bet if not going OLED?
    Would also prefer optimizing for no spyware etc. if possible (backup plan is just not giving it wifi access)

Samsung's QLEDs are still some of the best gaming televisions out there, bar none, especially at a competitive price point--previously, they really shined by early adoption of variable refresh (that's gradually gotten more common with LG, not sure if Sony does it yet, but why wouldn't they?), having much lower latency than more expensive OLED panels (but that gap has closed to), excellent native support for Xbox consoles (and also Playstation, but I have to assume Sony has an edge in this area, or at least their advertising says they do). They still match the highest end LG and Sony sets for functionality specifically for video gaming consoles. Aside from branding with Playstation, Sony doesn't really seem to boast about their gaming functionality for whatever reason on any of their sets (I guess dropping PSNow from all their TVs a few years back led to this), though at least now I think they've adopted some of the features Samsung had for a few years earlier (low latency, V.R.R.).

I really couldn't speak for spyware. Samsung's own UI can detect what console you plug into it and offer recommendations (i.e. advertising) off to the side of the banner, but I've literally never selected one of those banner items in the first place (also, I don't really change my inputs that often, which is the only place in the UI--with HDMI-CEC, the consoles can do it now, so you won't have to use the TV's UI at all potentially). I'm pretty sure LG's own interface can do the same thing by now, though I doubt anyone would consider this an actual positive, and you could just as easily leave the TV offline and avoid the issue entirely.

EDIT: Also, the current standards for HDMI 2.1 on the newly-released consoles are kind of headache so I'd really avoid buying a new television for gaming right now and waiting a year or more until things are actually normalized (and associated feature prices go down), but if you need a new TV, you need a new TV. If you're just looking for something to plug a UHD player or 4K streaming device into, it matters way less.

Synthesis on
  • Options

Samsung's QLEDs are still some of the best gaming televisions out there, bar none, especially at a competitive price point--previously, they really shined by early adoption of variable refresh (that's gradually gotten more common with LG, not sure if Sony does it yet, but why wouldn't they?), having much lower latency than more expensive OLED panels (but that gap has closed to), excellent native support for Xbox consoles (and also Playstation, but I have to assume Sony has an edge in this area, or at least their advertising says they do). They still match the highest end LG and Sony sets for functionality specifically for video gaming consoles. Aside from branding with Playstation, Sony doesn't really seem to boast about their gaming functionality for whatever reason on any of their sets (I guess dropping PSNow from all their TVs a few years back led to this), though at least now I think they've adopted some of the features Samsung had for a few years earlier (low latency, V.R.R.).

I really couldn't speak for spyware. Samsung's own UI can detect what console you plug into it and offer recommendations (i.e. advertising) off to the side of the banner, but I've literally never selected one of those banner items in the first place (also, I don't really change my inputs that often, which is the only place in the UI--with HDMI-CEC, the consoles can do it now, so you won't have to use the TV's UI at all potentially). I'm pretty sure LG's own interface can do the same thing by now, though I doubt anyone would consider this an actual positive, and you could just as easily leave the TV offline and avoid the issue entirely.

EDIT: Also, the current standards for HDMI 2.1 on the newly-released consoles are kind of headache so I'd really avoid buying a new television for gaming right now and waiting a year or more until things are actually normalized (and associated feature prices go down), but if you need a new TV, you need a new TV. If you're just looking for something to plug a UHD player or 4K streaming device into, it matters way less.

Note - I'm almost entirely a PC and Switch gamer, it's doubtful I'll ever have an Xbox/PS connected.

• Options

Note - I'm almost entirely a PC and Switch gamer, it's doubtful I'll ever have an Xbox/PS connected.

Ah. Well, what I've said holds true for PC's if you have a capable enough PC (I've got a GTX 1080 Ti connected to mine).

And not so much if you don't. Likewise, with a Switch....really, just get any TV you like the appearance of. You'd actually have to go out of your way to find a new one that doesn't output 1080p, at minimum, and that's as much as a Switch can output when docked anyway. "The picture is good," is really the only criteria for getting a TV for a Switch.

• Options
    Oh huh, I thought roku had a twitch app but I guess that went away. There is one for fire tv devices this, so a cheap fire stick would so the job.

Cool, thank you. I will look into getting a firestick.

• Options
    RaynagaRaynaga Registered User regular
    So I have an LG B6 that is still working great, but is starting to get outdated with the newest compatibility requirements. I'm seeing prices on the LG CX getting much more reasonable - would you see a picture difference from a B6 to a CX in anything other than 120fps content? Or would it mostly be a compatibility purchase?

• Options
    Raynaga wrote: »
    So I have an LG B6 that is still working great, but is starting to get outdated with the newest compatibility requirements. I'm seeing prices on the LG CX getting much more reasonable - would you see a picture difference from a B6 to a CX in anything other than 120fps content? Or would it mostly be a compatibility purchase?

It would mostly be compatibility and some processing upgrades. Probably slightly better HDR, for instance, and better built in app support. Put them side by side and you'd probably notice a slight difference. But as an upgrade? I'd hold off.

• Options
    For me the stand is an issue with the CX as well. It juts out in back making it hard to put up against the wall.

I think my C6 will last me another couple years till we see how Samsung's hybrid Quantum Dot OLED's work out or the industry finally launches microLED. I've never been a big 3D theater fan, but I really like it on my C6 and will be sad to see it go.

• Options
    If you want it against the wall, just mount it. Do it. Mount all the things!

• Options

haha I'm in an apartment. Worst it's metal framed, so mounting to the wall is really fun.

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular

One nice thing about the samsungs is that they have a steam link app that works natively. It even supports 4k streaming, though you might want to make sure your network is up to snuff for that

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Trajan45 wrote: »

haha I'm in an apartment. Worst it's metal framed, so mounting to the wall is really fun.

Mounting televisions is overrated. The effect of the backlight strip is better with just the right distance.

(I too live in an apartment.)

• Options
    Spoit wrote: »

One nice thing about the samsungs is that they have a steam link app that works natively. It even supports 4k streaming, though you might want to make sure your network is up to snuff for that

I have the higher end Orbis, so definitely up to snuff. I try to avoid Samsung, but may have to take a look at the Q80's.

• Options

I have the higher end Orbis, so definitely up to snuff. I try to avoid Samsung, but may have to take a look at the Q80's.

Last year, the primary difference between the Q70R and the Q80R was the later's anti-reflective coating--which sounds great, but in practice actually doesn't make that much of a difference because the Q70R is really bright TV, and both TVs have way higher peak brightness than your typical OLED, which depending on your living room, mitigates a lot of viewing angle concerns. The Q80R had more local dimming zones, but the Q70R has a lot of them too, and actually has a higher-contrast ratio and more uniform blacks according to Rtings.com (also it was cheaper, which is why I got it at my price point). Probably only matters if you're actually choosing between these two and not 2021's models.

• Options

Last year, the primary difference between the Q70R and the Q80R was the later's anti-reflective coating--which sounds great, but in practice actually doesn't make that much of a difference because the Q70R is really bright TV, and both TVs have way higher peak brightness than your typical OLED, which depending on your living room, mitigates a lot of viewing angle concerns. The Q80R had more local dimming zones, but the Q70R has a lot of them too, and actually has a higher-contrast ratio and more uniform blacks according to Rtings.com (also it was cheaper, which is why I got it at my price point). Probably only matters if you're actually choosing between these two and not 2021's models.

Q70 does not have local dimming, so there may be some confusion there.

• Options
    edited November 2020

Q70 does not have local dimming, so there may be some confusion there.

The Q70R does have full-array local dimming, and I still see them for sale here and there--but a similarly-sounding current day does not, and is cheaper than the Q70R's original price.

*shakes fist angrily*

EDIT: Surprisingly, my Q70R has better blacks and local dimming than a Sony X950 of the same year. No wonder people spend hours on Rtings.com.

Synthesis on